Partyhats

Star_Fox

If they looked better and didn't hold so much potential cash, I'd be interested in them. Generally for myself it all comes down to stats. If I had one, I'd simply sell it as it'd serve me no purpose otherwise. In my opinion none of the rares are worth my money.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't care for them like I use to, I'd rather invest money into skills than buy a silly hat that does nothing.

Yes throw it into a silly skill that does nothing makes a whole lot more sense.

Skills are worthless unless you value showing off levels, while party hats show off wealth and INCREASE your wealth at the same time.

I think you have the wrong idea here; The person said it's worthless to them thus they would rather spend that money on skills - not to show off but for their own benefit I'm presuming.

Each to their own, really. I think the GE prices just need tweaking to achieve the right price. It baffles me to see people being called greedy themselves for wanting the item by those that have it. Look at it this way; most people buying/selling them are to merchant and hoard.

Is it not greed to want several of the same limited item? Is it not greed to want a lot of money when you know you'll never ever need it all?

I used to be a merchant; I gave up myself because I didn't need anymore money and I'm glad I did before things got ugly.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Yes, but what benifit could be achieved by getting 99 smithing? Nothing that say, a partyhat wouldn't achieve in the same way.

There is benefit in getting 99 smithing. You can smith many armours in Dungeoneering, which can be essential to a good team.

I liked partyhats and all rares a lot more when they were worth several mills and kept on dropping.

Atleast you bought one back then because you wanted to own one. Prices were most likely to drop, so the ones buying one did it for thing other than to earn money later.

Now, it's a very disgusting market, imo.

I 2nd that, it's one of the reasons Runescape is not that tempting as before.

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

I really don't get why people even keep rares... status symbols I guess, but you can use that money on other skills, you know. Other money sinks.

I understand that some people are smart and are actually keeping these rares since they keep rising in price, but most are just buying them for the hell of it.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Partyhats, as we know it are impossible to obtain through normal means of saving up $$ and finally buying that must have item...The

price established for partyhats are exorbitantly high to shun away from the public market. Now what we have are unofficial street prices

to determine what partyhats are worth. You will notice that the top 4 partyhats (green,red,white,blue) exceeds the maximum cash

limit to buy them with the addition of junk that must be compensated for trade. What do you think about this? As far as I

can remember, there were NO specific situation like this. Ever.

Is it fair for partyhat owners to hoard their glory in owning these trinkets and restrict on selling back for profit? More importantly,

are there any solutions in "fixing" this problem to where partyhats can be distributed again?

I'm sorry if I offended any merchants/phat owners out there. I own a green partyhat myself so please bare with me.

I think I will post my article then...

Is a rare painting "worth" 130m?

IMO, Whatever the market will hold.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

but you can use that money on other skills, you know.

okay here's my challenge to you. i have enough cash for all the good gear, all the 99s

so you tell me "go spend it on skills"

so... what? you telling me i shouldn't buy a partyhat? i should go train slayer in full vesta?

once you have enough money to afford all the armor and skills, then i think your assertions might carry a bit more water

I've owned 1 party hat in my 7 years of having my account. It was about two years ago when i bought it. I can't remember exactly how much I bought it for, but I remember I was going back to F2P, sold all of my items, and bought a green. About a year after owning it, I decided to sell it for around 180m (making a lot of profit). I figured that the price would shoot back down eventually, like it normally does. I get back on a few weeks later to check the prices and see that the hat was 400m+.

My only experience 'merching' a party hat was a positive one. I made more than (if i recall correctly) 40m and now I have a large enough cash pile to do what I like to do... comfortably. But now, it seems like the only way to get a partyhat would to be to pay for a party hat, and double what that hat is worth in poisoned addy arrows, which is beyond stupid. obviously people have found a way around the GE and max trade limits, which shows just how ineffective they are.

kind of on topic: i cant believe how crazy the economy has become in 2 years.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

I'd rather you hoard the stupid hat than something useful.

I doubt the would redrop them unless RTing gets to the point that its so blatant that everybody can see what rares are used for.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

It is all about the status of having one. There is limited supply and enormous demand for them. Nothing wrong with that. It is antique cars and paintings.

The GE is such an inefficient marketplace for high end items. I long for the day when prices adjust to clear markets rather than being frozen. Hasn't anyone at Jagex ever taken an econ course?

My solution is: Have an NPC convert coins into a box worth as much as the player wants it. It's a workaround to the java integer problem. It is treated the same as coins so that you can trade easily. Also, allow GE to accept these boxes as tender.

Next, have the GE update based on supply and demand. I should be able to put in any offer for an item (given that I have the money) and that should be reflected in the updates like the stock exchange. You should be able to see the bid and ask for each item and the last trade price.

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

Yes, but what benifit could be achieved by getting 99 smithing? Nothing that say, a partyhat wouldn't achieve in the same way.

What does owning an item purely for cosmetic use have over raising your overall player statistics, which take you closer to 2475 total, allow you to smith armour that only people with your skill level can, allow you to use it in places like Dungeoneering to aid the rest of your team and also give you a cosmetic item that comes along with an emote and +9 defensive stats? You can't really argue that a Party hat is the same as a level 99; it really isn't. Although some may prefer to have a hat over a level 99, they're two completely different things thus comparing them shouldn't even come into it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

What does owning an item purely for cosmetic use have over raising your overall player statistics, which take you closer to 2475 total, allow you to smith armour that only people with your skill level can, allow you to use it in places like Dungeoneering to aid the rest of your team and also give you a cosmetic item that comes along with an emote and +9 defensive stats? You can't really argue that a Party hat is the same as a level 99; it really isn't. Although some may prefer to have a hat over a level 99, they're two completely different things thus comparing them shouldn't even come into it.

No, its better. I have no need for 99 smithing, its hardly even a status symbol compared to my other capes.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

You personally, perhaps, but it's something you'll eventually require if you wish to max in this game. I didn't say you had to have one or the other, by any means. All I'm saying is that skills have a use that Party Hats don't. Skills aid you in advancing in the game in terms of levels and what accessibility you have to areas. A hat doesn't. Anyway, as I said and shall repeat -- each to their own. I've done the whole party hat owning thing myself, already.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

You personally, perhaps, but it's something you'll eventually require if you wish to max in this game. I didn't say you had to have one or the other, by any means. All I'm saying is that skills have a use that Party Hats don't. Skills aid you in advancing in the game in terms of levels and what accessibility you have to areas. A hat doesn't. Anyway, as I said and shall repeat -- each to their own. I've done the whole party hat owning thing myself, already.

Agreed, however, party hats have a use which skills don't: the intrinsic value they have due to being discontinued, as well as their power as status symbols and investments.

Stonewall337.png

There is benefit in getting 99 smithing. You can smith many armours in Dungeoneering, which can be essential to a good team.

Um, when was the last time a good team decided they wanted to smith a full set of armor in a 5:5 large? I'm pretty sure it never happens.

What does owning an item purely for cosmetic use have over raising your overall player statistics, which take you closer to 2475 total,

What if you simply don't care about 2475 total.

allow you to smith armour that only people with your skill level can

Everyone that level can also buy it from the GE, and often its cheaper.

allow you to use it in places like Dungeoneering to aid the rest of your team

Yea, generally speaking, smithing armor in a fast team is a waste of time.

and also give you a cosmetic item that comes along with an emote and +9 defensive stats?

Because, this cosmetic item will never be half the status symbol a party hat would be. And its only getting worse as more and more people get 99 smithing (unless theres another phat dupe, i don't see it reversing).

Plus, the fact that party hats are rising by the millions, millions all the time, with your wealth constantly increasing. I would say thats worth more than +9 def stats which you can get from an 80k cape.

O.O

You're missing the point; Smithing was brought up simply as an example. It was said earlier that those without hats that want them are being greedy, yet those with hats hoarding more or with billions of cash trying to buy up everything with the sole purpose of profit aren't the greedy ones?

A Party Hat, in reality, is nothing more than a status symbol. Owning one doesn't offer you anything in the game itself other than to show off, whereby spending that money on skills increases the number of things you can do within the game.

I'm going to simply answer the original post; I feel I'm swaying off topic here slightly.

Party Hats aren't worth it in the current economy; no-one wants one just to be happy. They're seeking them for profit and nothing more, in most cases I'm going to assume. There's very few people who will pay such a high price for a hat they're going to keep and hold on to for sentimental value.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

A Party Hat, in reality, is nothing more than a status symbol. Owning one doesn't offer you anything in the game itself other than to show off, whereby spending that money on skills increases the number of things you can do within the game.

A status symbol which makes you richer by the day.

I don't see how 99 fletching, 99 cooking, 99 smithing, 99 fishing, 99 woodcutting, etc. (Other than quest requirements), is going to help me more than a party hat.

Outside quest requirements and the cape, theres really not much use for those skills.

O.O

Read: investment/status symbol.

Also, I fail to see what is wrong with greed. I am a libertarian, in other words, almost anything is permissible as long as it is done with mutual consent. If people want to increase party hats, how does that affect you? I'd be willing to bet someone purchasing a Van Gogh for 145 mil wouldn't affect you either.

Stonewall337.png

The GE is such an inefficient marketplace for high end items. I long for the day when prices adjust to clear markets rather than being frozen.

My solution is: Have an NPC convert coins into a box worth as much as the player wants it. It's a workaround to the java integer problem. It is treated the same as coins so that you can trade easily. Also, allow GE to accept these boxes as tender.

You should be able to see the bid and ask for each item and the last trade price.

Very true, especially for the bolded/italic part. Make it be pretty much like any forex home trading platform, especially with bid and ask.

WarBlastoise.png

The GE is such an inefficient marketplace for high end items. I long for the day when prices adjust to clear markets rather than being frozen.

You should be able to see the bid and ask for each item and the last trade price.

Very true, especially for the bolded/italic part. Make it be pretty much like any forex home trading platform, especially with bid and ask.

This would really only help when dealing with items in the middle of a turnaround. Most of the time, Bid/Ask are the same (at mid, low, or high). When I'm looking at an item that's turning around, I always do a few :test buys" to get the real bid/ask.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant