Fun.

Kietaro1

Is Runescape fun?

So many times we, as players, see the moniker of 'fun' being thrown around. This usually has the purpose of defending a certain tactic that other players may not like. It can also be to defend one's beliefs about how to play the game. But in every case, the reason of it 'being fun' is the only evidence offered.

It seems that 'fun' has become a blanket statement that, though surely situational, seems to cover all facets of gameplay. To every player fun means something different. It's definition has been made to suit the playstyles of the individual playing. To me however, there is not much that Runscape has to offer that is 'fun'.

Note: The 'fun' that I have in Runescape is not defined by me smiling and having a good time. That does happen though it is rare. Instead if I were to give fun a definition that explains why I play the game, it would be to say that I enjoy accomplishment. Following this idea, I want to point out that I have every quest complete, have mastered every position in Barbarian Assault (and never bought a piece of armor), a cape in a skill that I have liked since classic, and a couple more just to trim it. I own a fire cape, I have killed Bork, the skeletal horror, and have a pheonix pet. Heck I spent this last weekend power leveling herblaw simply to complete the Seer's Diary. This is how I have 'fun' though nothing about it is fun in the sense of enjoyment. The finished product however is what I like.

In light of that statement I am sure there are many of you who disagree. I am sure that many of you do have fun. So my question is "how do you have fun in Runescape?".

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i do to have "fun" is come up with little tasks to accomplish and then set about to finish them. My current little task is to make 15,000 poison+ adam arrows(from scratch). So far i have mined 1k adam ore and mined 6k coal. Now im smelting the ore into bars. about 700 ore left(i only smelt a few hundred each time i play.) When i finish ill try out the arrows and if i like them ill keep them, if not ill try to sell them. I dont know why but comming up with little tasks then doing them is enjoyable.

I like seeing numbers grow... levels, XP, money, items...Whatever action I do in RS has an effect on a number growing. This is where I get my fun.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I really have FUN when I'm dungeoneering or bossing with the group of people in a ventrillo server I go on.

Most other things it's usually the sense of achieving something that's more fun.

I did very much enjoy training slayer though

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

No. Fun isn't efficient and I hate runescape so I think i'm going to go grind the last 200 levels I need then ragequit at the sight of nothing to do.

thanks for that :D

for those who can't figure it out lowc was being sarcastic

obviously it is fun or else we wouldn't play it

Im going to call myself odd because I like grinding. :P

If I didn't, I wouldn't be here now.

But I like what Jagex do 90% of the time so they don't ruin my fun even though I know they do for some.

I find taking long walks on the catherby beaches fun....mostly listening to low level fishers yell at eachother for being noobs.

I find being goofy in the G.E. and level 70's getting upset at me for not lending my whip, fun.

Cracking Graa'dor's skull open with my BGS is very fun.

And my new favorite thing, dungeoneering, is really fun in groups.

I really have FUN when I'm dungeoneering or bossing with the group of people in a ventrillo server I go on.

Most other things it's usually the sense of achieving something that's more fun.

It seems that defining fun is more difficult that I had planned. That or I was not clear with what I was asking.

When thinking of enjoyable, 'fun' skills many players, including you, say that Slayer is the skill that most players seem to enjoy. If we take that as a point of reference, why is Slayer fun? Because as your reply is, it is a blanket statement that really does nothing to explain what you find fun about Runescape.

In other words, my question is not 'What is fun about Runescape'. Instead I am looking for a deeper understanding of why you think any particular thing is fun. Everyonedies for instance gave an example of something he enjoys doing and gave a reason for why that is.

Some people could very well say that clicking a monster, waiting for it to die, looting it, and then moving to the next is a very good way to define combat in Runescape. There is not really a 'can I do this task' question that comes with some games. Instead it is 'how long will this take?' (as can be seen in the efficiency thread). Slayer is very similar except that it is a certain, assigned creature that players must kill that is often more generous with what it leaves behind. This is obviously not an enjoyable way of viewing this loveable skill. As such my question is How is what you find fun fun?,

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

It seems that defining fun is more difficult that I had planned. That or I was not clear with what I was asking.

When thinking of enjoyable, 'fun' skills many players, including you, say that Slayer is the skill that most players seem to enjoy. If we take that as a point of reference, why is Slayer fun? Because as your reply is, it is a blanket statement that really does nothing to explain what you find fun about Runescape.

In other words, my question is not 'What is fun about Runescape'. Instead I am looking for a deeper understanding of why you think any particular thing is fun. Everyonedies for instance gave an example of something he enjoys doing and gave a reason for why that is.

Some people could very well say that clicking a monster, waiting for it to die, looting it, and then moving to the next is a very good way to define combat in Runescape. There is not really a 'can I do this task' question that comes with some games. Instead it is 'how long will this take?' (as can be seen in the efficiency thread). Slayer is very similar except that it is a certain, assigned creature that players must kill that is often more generous with what it leaves behind. This is obviously not an enjoyable way of viewing this loveable skill. As such my question is How is what you find fun fun?,

I found it fun because killing helpless creatures for the sake of some lady in a cave is relaxing to me. It didn't get boring because you aren't camping the same monster for hours on end, hitting high in kuradal's dungeon and other places thanks to the slayer helm + other effects was fun to me. The thought that it helped me train ALL of my combat stats is also an enjoyable thought to me as well as making money, it makes it feel like I was being efficient.

I find dungeoneering fun because it's a group activity, and especially since I'm on ventrillo with people while doing it, makes it even better. Like just last night we did 4 larges in a row, and kept making one another solo ridiculous rooms without prayer, like one room with 2 level 143 brutes in it (he tried and almost died, so he gave up :P). We just have a lot of fun with one another

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Really the only thing i find fun in this game is merching, questing, and pking, plus SOME minigames (most of which are pking based anyway, like cwars)

A successful flip always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :)

Unfortunately my love for pking and my love for quests somewhat conflicts because i am limited by my defence, but ahh well.

O.O