Fun.

Kietaro1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, first we had a thread about efficiency, now we have a thread about fun. Nice juxtapose! :thumbup:

Anyways, as for fun, I enjoy training every skill with the exception of hunter (dunno why, I just hate it). I always find fun ways to train particular skills, and they coincide to be rather (but not totally) efficient as well.

But since I'm a casual gamer, I don't really have time to get any of my stats to 99. I just play for fun now, since I already have all the levels I need for everything f2p (except for Lumby Hard, but I can get that smithing level someday, just not at the moment). Dungeoneering really is THE reason why I'm bound to stay in Runescape for a long time. It's just so awesome! :thumbsup:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

getting 80 in wow in two months of no lifing is not fun either, right?

so it's the no lifing that is not fun

I just said that you don't need to no life in WoW... your comprehension is that of a 12 year old. Maybe spend less time grinding Runescape and spend more time reading books?

I got 80 in 2 months of playing 2 hours a day. Getting to 80 is the easiest part of the game for people who are used to playing real MMO's.

Please define to me what a 'Real MMO' is. Opinions do not magically become fact, hence, what you describe as a 'real MMO' might not be perceived to be the same as someone elses.

Yes, Runescape requires an obscene amount of incessant clicking, everyone who logs into the game knows this. I fail to see your point with this, Runescape is a casual MMO if placed in the context of other MMO's.

Anyone who compares WoW to RS does not know how to form any kind of credible argument. Comparing the two is like comparing a First-Person Shooter to a Third-Person one. Yes, they are part of the same category and genre of games but in no way shape or form does that make them automatically comparable down to the last pixel.

In the end, I'm just wasting my time writing this reply as it's blindingly obvious how massively biased you are towards this topic and clearly, anyone who disagrees with you is the one that's wrong.

Sylpheed.png

Anyone who compares WoW to RS does not know how to form any kind of credible argument. Comparing the two is like comparing a First-Person Shooter to a Third-Person one. Yes, they are part of the same category and genre of games but in no way shape or form does that make them automatically comparable down to the last pixel.

I don't compare WoW and RS in terms of pixels. Please stop using straw mans.

All of my arguments have been extremely broad, game-design-document style criticisms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow guys... what the heck is wrong with this forum? Is it possible to have any kind of discussion without people jumping down each other's throats? The last page or so has very little to do with the discussion and yet you are blatantly attacking one another. Dang. If replies are directed at another player directly, then your reply is not wanted. Troll elsewhere please.

On Topic: After reading many of your replies, I have decided that ‘fun’ and ‘enjoyment’ should be differentiated.

If I were to define ‘fun’ I would say that it is the active enjoyment of an activity.

‘Enjoyment’ on the other hand is more passive. It can take the form of fun but is often more than just actively having fun. Grinding is a good example of something that is not fun (most times) but ultimately ends in enjoyment.

When playing Runescape perhaps there is less fun involved in gameplay than some other MMORPGS. On the other hand it would seem that there is far more opportunity for enjoyment.

To further explain, I dislike many of the game mechanics in Runescape. The click and wait aspect of combat, the click and wait aspect of skills, the lack of challenge in most of Runescape’s bosses, and the lack of skill based content has very little to offer me in the area of fun. Sure the occasional high hit is a thrill, the expensive or rare drop is often greeted with excitement, and the accomplished goal is met with pride, but most of this is accomplished passively alongside some YouTube watching or other internet activity. I highly doubt that there are very many players that find themselves paying attention to every detail in Runescape. I think this is a testimony to the lack of fun (using my definition) that most of Runescape seems to have.

To contrast this, there are other games that fit more of the ‘fun’ definition that I have given. Games such as Team Fortress 2, Halo Reach, or Modern Warfare 2 have active combat that one might consider fitting my definition of fun. Games such as Fable 2, Cake Mania, or Tetris are games that require active use of skill to succeed. World of Warcraft, Everquest, and Star Wars Galaxies all offer bosses that are a challenge to defeat. Even veteran players can find themselves dying to bosses in these games (much like Draemonheim but when it matters a little more). All of these games have better versions of what is available in Runescape but we still find ourselves coming back to Runescape time and again. I think enjoyment has a little to do with that.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

I think it's awesome. Messing around with friends is probably my favorite part.

xxshady, it upsets me that you hang around this forum just to make people angry. Seriously, just go away, or stop passing off your opinions as fact.

lalalasig2.png

I like killing stuff. I also like challenging myself, which is usually why I tend to do things as quickly as possible; I like to beat my personal records. As it happens, slayer gives me both of those things in a neat package, so I thoroughly enjoy slaying (and will continue to enjoy it far passed 99). Boss hunting is like slayer on steroids, which is why I've made maxing combat my goal.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• 2 weeks later...

you can get 138 in 2 months playing 5-6 hours a day

i don't know if that's called no lifing

1. I'm pretty sure 138 CB will take a lot longer than 2 months for an average person.

2. No lifing is a pretty relative term. We can say you play 30 mins a day and call it no lifing.

1. I'm pretty sure 138 CB will take a lot longer than 2 months for an average person.

2. No lifing is a pretty relative term. We can say you play 30 mins a day and call it no lifing.

1. He said 5-6 hours a day. That's a bit above average.

2. No, no-lifing is not a subjective concept. Thirty minutes cannot be considered no-lifing. I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say that no-lifing is when you play all day, sleep for a bit, and play some more. Sleep and Runescape. That's it.

dgs5.jpg

1. He said 5-6 hours a day. That's a bit above average.

2. No, no-lifing is not a subjective concept. Thirty minutes cannot be considered no-lifing. I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say that no-lifing is when you play all day, sleep for a bit, and play some more. Sleep and Runescape. That's it.

Ya, i'm pretty sure there are socially accepted norms when playing video games. Getting 138 in 2 months is obviously a no lifing session.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

well i know some people with office jobs that can do afk tasks in runescape (such as training combat!) for 4-8 hours a day during their work day. so really it could be possible to have a perfectly successful and rewarding life while still playing 6 hours a day.

well i know some people with office jobs that can do afk tasks in runescape (such as training combat!) for 4-8 hours a day during their work day. so really it could be possible to have a perfectly successful and rewarding life while still playing 6 hours a day.

A very valid point.

dgs5.jpg

A very valid point.

This is where the efficiency argument kicks in. "Is being efficient fun?"

Fun was what used to get from playing, fun was alot of things, but fun is not the thing i get when i play now.

don't know if it's myself or the game but its just not the fun it used to be.

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

Fun was what used to get from playing, fun was alot of things, but fun is not the thing i get when i play now.

don't know if it's myself or the game but its just not the fun it used to be.

Pretty sure its the fact that things get a bit more boring when you get high leveld/more experienced. I really don't see how the game has changed much since 3 years ago aside from wildy update, and even then pvp still exists (obviously not as great as it once was, but still).

The level 57 that is doing dragon slayer is probably having more fun than the 125 who is afking slayer tasks. Considering most of the people that use this site are the people who play "efficiently" and afk everything afkable, its probably the people that are changing and finding the game less fun, not the game.

Also, you grew levels a lot faster at lower levels, which probably made it more exciting for newer players vs someone who gains a runecrafting level like every 2 weeks at 95 rc while spending hours every day.

Accomplishments and pleasant surprises are fun. Pleasant surprises include rare monster drops (which generally feel near-nonexistent to me, making them all the more satisfying), surprise levels, seeing old friends online to chat, finishing a hard quest, ranging some faces off in stealing creation, or collecting shattered heart rocks (RIP this D/D; not making a second statue).

stormveritas.png

I'm in school from 8-5 most days. If I didn't play sports, which is fine, I'd be in school from 8-3. I get home at 6. Most weekdays, I get home and play RuneScape while doing homework until 11 or 12, so like 5-6 hours a day of semi-AFK training. I don't play RS most Friday nights because I'm out with friends, but I can usually squeeze in 2 hours from 1-3. I'm a bit of an insomniac, so I play from 6-10 AM on Saturdays and Sundays and usually play some more Saturday or Sunday night.

I have a girlfriend and a support group of friends. I'm involved in a couple of extracurriculars. I have time for other fun st00f also such as reading/running/programming/playing other video games.

By most measures, I have a life. I also play more than 30 hours of RuneScape a week.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe this thread deserves a little bump.

I agree with the OP. Fun is extremely subjective. Fun to you may mean fletching Yew Longbow's for 12 hours whilst watching The Big Bang Theory, whilst fun for me may mean killing Tormented Demons with a Steel Titan, hoping for a Claw drop.

Feeling a sense of achievement, big or small, can be perceived as 'fun' for most. 'Fun' could also mean having a good time with friends. Ah, Semantics.

One question; Is it fun to train cooking for hours, for a skillcape? If it is, what's fun about it? Are you sure it's the cooking/fletching that's fun, or is it the time spent doing something else?

F is for fire that burns down the whole town, U's for uranium... bombs. N is for no survivooooors! WHEN YOU'RE *random interruption from some forum member sparing me the humiliation of not knowing the words*

most of the time me playing was testing my concentration, which helped me in school

for example, id do 11 hour godwars trips, attempt to beat my exp/hr records with different skills and such, i found that fun.

and also i found clanwars very fun to do when i had a few good, high level friends, ancients and godswords. lol

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I would define fun as doing things that aren't as efficient or profitable as they used to be for the only fact that you still enjoy doing them. Half of the crap at barrows isn't worth 30% of what they used to be when I last was P2p, but last month when I started playing again you bet one of the things I liked to do most was those dungeons. Same goes for metal dragon killing, and all that other stuff.

For the record quitting and playing a year later was the best decision I think anyone can make in this game. Everything becomes so much fun again!

IrreIephant.png

|Msg me me in-game | IrreIephant|

^ capital i