1st October, 2010: Behind the Scenes - October

BloodAngel

October is the month for parties as we celebrate Oktoberfest and Halloween! The conclusion to the Void Knight storyline arrives in the form of The Void Stares Back, our latest Grandmaster quest. Experienced hunters will be able to learn a new trapping method to gain Summoning charms.

The Void Stares Back

This month brings a conclusion to this year's storyline, the Void Knight quest series. After leading a band of unlikely companions through a merry dance of pest-tracking, mysterious figures and energy draining goo, were now faced with the very real threat of a full-on pest invasion, seemingly brought on by those most untrustworthy of knights, the Kinshra.

Requiring 80 Magic and a series of other 70+ skills, it's the highest quest requirements we have ever added to the game. You'll need those levels (and more besides) if you're to overcome the intriguing puzzles and powerful foes that stand between you and ultimate victory.

Charm Sprite Hunting

Also this month, we will introduce a brand new mechanic for obtaining Summoning charms outside of combat. Following the recent exploration into the Spirit Plane (see Pikkupstix and the Familiarisation update), the dire consequences of planar shifting have emerged in the shape of...well, nobody is quite sure yet, since they are invisible, but Yaktwee Swinmari Cianta is the gnome to find out.

Skilled hunters (72+) will be pleased to hear that they can head to the Gnome Stronghold and join in with the capturing of rogue 'charm sprites', which can be converted into charms as well as Hunter XP. Skill pures should note that this skill update will involve NO combat.

Oktoberfest and Halloween

Perhaps you're interested in some community-run events inspired by the German Oktoberfest? Pretzels await for those that are, and you might want to check out the Oktoberfest Fun in Gielinor forum thread for more information.

You can also expect a monster mash this Halloween, as Pumpkin Pete brings a bit of rock 'n' roll to Grim Reaper's mansion! Our third planned update for this month will require you to be the roadie for Grim's favourite band and get the entertainment back on track. Expect to be dancing with spiders, drinking with backing singers and gathering autographs. Party-goers with killer dance moves will unlock the player-morphing 'bone brooch', as voted for by you earlier in the year.

'Make-X' Improvements

Experienced players should note that, hopefully this month, were redesigning the most commonly-used Make-X menus. At the moment, if you want to make more than one of an item, you have to right-click to choose 5, 10, X or All. The new design wont require you to right-click.

Furthermore, when youre doing actions such as smelting ores or fletching logs into bows, the existing menu offers Make-X but not Make-All, so you have to type the same number every time you open the menu. The new design will now offer Make-All wherever it offers Make-X.

Postbag and Gallery

Look out for a new Postbag from the Hedge early this month as Postie Pete drags his mailbag all the way to Daemonheim for a Dungeoneering special. Towards the end of October, we're also releasing another gallery page of your fantastic submitted artwork this one with a Halloween theme, so get your submissions in now!

In other news...

A friends' list feature is being added to the RuneScape Game Bar. Click here to find out more about the Game Bar and to download it.

Prepare for brand new Lumbridge guard NPCs, right-click options on Daemonheim altars, a godsword rework to work with deflect curses, and updates to the Wilderness wall for runecrafters.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make-X improvements, yay!

Skilled hunters (72+) will be pleased to hear that they can head to the Gnome Stronghold and join in with the capturing of rogue 'charm sprites', which can be converted into charms as well as Hunter XP.

Hope I can finally get this boring skill up and not ragequit within 5 minutes of catching chins...

I thought Jagex said there would be no more Grandmaster Quests this year? :o

Sounds like a pretty good month and more ways to get charms is always welcome :thumbup:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I'm looking forward to this update. I hope the void quest has some nice untradables. I wonder how the RS forums will take to the charm updates.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Pros:

Grandmaster quest.

Make-x improvements. (maybe)

Halloween and Oktoberfeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest.

Godsword rework.

Cons:

Sprite hunting (already 99 summoning and other skills > hunter)

Others:

Postbag and gallery.

Lumby guards.

Game bar update.

We'll see how this month turns out.

Oh noes. 80 Magic for final Void quest :sad: Better start training magic. Other than that, its going to be a rocky month :thumbup:

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Skip those updates and just fix the the 64x updates be nice. It is difficult to load up the game and I have to manually select a world so I dont log into a 64x world, each have a slight lag compared to before they were upgraded, especially 24 (or 23? forget, I avoid both.) as thats a complete no no.. I am working with game ticks every day so I know when its a bit slower. I have to keep migrating world by world as they upgrade them! Any 86x world works normally for me. World 24 I barely get away alive if I dont manually make sure I dont automatically connect to it.. I can play normally enough in any 64x but it does have a slight slow response compared to 32 bit.

I would say it is just everyone loading it up for first time but tbh it seems more buggy server than that. Probably why everyone keeps posting those 'leet' total pictures too.

As for whatever updates they talk about. They sound simple which is what I prefer right now away. :thumbup:

I am mostly surprised this was not posted by Toad/Smelly first :rolleyes:

I don't think he's online atm, he usually gets updates as long as they're after 2/3 :P

And it all sounds rather interesting, but nothing particularly meaty that I can get my teeth into. I've not done the quests so that's not much for me, but I guess the Make X changes will be good :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

it's the highest quest requirements we have ever added to the game.

Plese dont be rc. :pray:

Then the two things that caught my eye:

The new design will now offer Make-All wherever it offers Make-X.
a godsword rework to work with deflect curses,
Sephy.png

Grandmaster Void Knight Quest... <3:

The Charm Sprite thing sounds very interesting... but I wonder what they meant by a Godsword Rework for curses. I bet the Godsword prices are going to rise in response to that update.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

Looks like a reasonable month.

Quest looks good, another Grandmaster is always welcome.

Charm Sprite looks boring as I'm 99 in both.

Oktoberfest and Halloween will be a nice but short distraction.

Make x improvements have been a long time coming, irritated me that make x was inconsistent across the skills.

Be interesting to see how they implement the friends list into the game bar.

Looks like an interesting month, been dieng for a good quest :P

I am mostly surprised this was not posted by Toad/Smelly first :rolleyes:

I don't think he's online atm, he usually gets updates as long as they're after 2/3 :P

And it all sounds rather interesting, but nothing particularly meaty that I can get my teeth into. I've not done the quests so that's not much for me, but I guess the Make X changes will be good :)

I'm around just my refreshing the frontpage days are over (wont be posting them anymore) :P

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I hope the right-click altar in Daemonheim means we'll be able to use all our bones on the altar at once. :pray:

And I hope the Halloween event this year is even better than the last.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

GRANDMASTER QUEST WOOOOOOOO@@@@@@

Almost have enough charms for 99 summoning, maybe the charm sprites will get me the last ones. :P

(Have a feeling they will be like imps, but we already have the spirit imp so I'm not sure.)

Pretzels, beer and being a Halloween rock star, all sound good to me.

Make-X improvements sounds nice.

Postbag is coming back! :D

Friends list add-on to the game bar = win

Wilderness wall updates = Interesting

Godsword rework to work with deflect curses = No idea what that means.

All in all I like how the plan for this month looks. :thumbsup:

This month brings a conclusion to this year's storyline, the Void Knight quest series. After leading a band of unlikely companions through a merry dance of pest-tracking, mysterious figures and energy draining goo, were now faced with the very real threat of a full-on pest invasion, seemingly brought on by those most untrustworthy of knights, the Kinshra.

I have a sick feeling this will turn out to be a solo PC game. :angry:

imevil.jpg

This month brings a conclusion to this year's storyline, the Void Knight quest series. After leading a band of unlikely companions through a merry dance of pest-tracking, mysterious figures and energy draining goo, we’re now faced with the very real threat of a full-on pest invasion, seemingly brought on by those most untrustworthy of knights, the Kinshra.

I have a sick feeling this will turn out to be a solo PC game. :angry:

Which would be a good opportunity for me to try out barrage + soulsplit, something I've wanted to try since the Blood Runs Deep battle (where I had neither).

Looking forward to the quest, the rest is a little trivial, though the charm sprites could turn out to be quite good.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Void quest: Just got enough PC points for my void set >_< hope the reward is something other than more pc points lol

charm sprite: 99 summoning and 92 hunter already =\

Unless the new minigame earns over 150k hunter xp/hour, I probably won't play it since barehand butterflies are already such beastly hunter xp

make all: just got 99 fletching/cooking/crafting/prayer in the last 2 weeks lol

darn my timing >_<

ugh I'm not gonna benefit at all from the updates this month.

Doesn't make all mean you can't make-x (99) bones @ altar

and just endlessly withdraw from familiar?

Naaxi.png