Flaming

TheAncient

since a troll normally is trying to "fit in"

I don't think you know what a troll is. A troll purposely provokes argument and outrage by making obviously false claims and assertions. They have no desire to "fit in" to a community.

"Flaming" is when you make a heated, personal insult.

Trolling is a game about identity deception' date=' albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.[/quote']

http://smg.media.mit.edu/people/Judith/

Judith Donath

Very few "trolls" are active on Tip.it, those whose only purpose is to be a pain in the ass.

And if I am ever snide its because I am (almost) always right.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main reason is that currently people have become too stubborn in their discussions. Neither side is ever able to agree or concede parts of arguments any more. I think we also have a lack of random topics, which aren't all around discussions and arguments, but are just fun.

Edit: To add onto this, people too often resort to name calling, saying people are trolling and taking things personally when all people should be doing is discussing the post not the poster.

I agree with Dan the most here. Too many people talk about the posters and their opinion, rather than the actual topic. There are very few times I bite back, and it's usually because either they get me fired up, or I misunderstand what the person posted. Once I quoted someone in what they said, but turned out it was some other poster. I did apologize and it's in the past now, but I still think of that post today and regret it. At least I do apologize when I am wrong :)

I think I misunderstand people sometimes. I'm coping with disagreements more easily these days, but when people make it personal rather than discussing the topic, it makes me feel like not even bothering to post my opinion. It makes me feel like I'm always wrong or, you don't deserve to post etc. and I felt like that last night from a thread. I can use the ignore list, but at the same time it still doesn't make the hurt go away. I just had to say what my previous post meant before (almost 100% certain on this) being flamed for whatever I said next, whether it was said nicely or not, people still love to flame whatever you post. I just have to come to the realization that I should post and ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!! Before the trolls arrive.

I guess people are very brave behind their keyboards when they want to, and it's hard to take because when you're being trolled and flamed over and over again for simply stating your opinion, you start to believe those remarks. Then it makes you not want to post, not deal with people, or even start to hate people because of it.

2vuhgcn.png

It's really interesting to get feedback from admins... lets us understand you guys better

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I think the main reason is that currently people have become too stubborn in their discussions. Neither side is ever able to agree or concede parts of arguments any more.

Yea those are always fun.

Edit: To add onto this, people too often resort to name calling, saying people are trolling and taking things personally when all people should be doing is discussing the post not the poster.

The poster makes the post. If the post is stupid, its the posters fault.

O.O

I think the main reason is that currently people have become too stubborn in their discussions. Neither side is ever able to agree or concede parts of arguments any more.

This. There are dumb topics, as well as dumb posters.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Cut and paste job from bottom half of the wikipedia article

Internet gurus are a dime a dozen.

I'd rather just stick with something tangible like the monster that lives under bridges in children's fairy tales.

If you act like a troll (ill tempered, agressive, foul mouthed) then I think the name fits.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Cut and paste job from bottom half of the wikipedia article

Internet gurus are a dime a dozen.

I'd rather just stick with something tangible like the monster that lives under bridges in children's fairy tales.

If you act like a troll (ill tempered, agressive, foul mouthed) then I think the name fits.

I could have gotten a definition from 4chan, but I looked up "troll" and got "golvellius" as a synonym.

Stonewall337.png

They almost all died at different times.

Too bad every time a dumb poster is called out, you have admins and users defending them for having a "right" to their opinion (as if anyone had ever disputed that).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

They almost all died at different times.

And they almost all rise from the dead at different times. :rolleyes:

Myself, I actually know of a few users who flame/troll an absurd amount, but I'm not going to name them here. I'm pretty sure others know them well too.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Trolling is all fun and games until someone gets butthurt.

Trolling is never fun and games because everyone gets butthurt.

Except for the troll

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Trolling is all fun and games until someone gets butthurt.

Trolling is never fun and games because everyone gets butthurt.

Except for the troll

Nah, that's just what the troll wants you to think.

I c wut u did dere.

20f92t3.png

Lol @ the above posts...

Trolling is really just spam. It's just silly. At least flaming still contributes to the topic (albeit in a rude sort of manner).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

There is a good reason why I don't post here much. I'm sorry but TIF has too many hardcore elitists for me to really stay and enjoy having a nice little chat. We're also quite biased against lower levels, meaning that what they think doesn't apply to the maxed level with Overloads, Turmoil, a Yak, and a ton of cash in their bank.

There is a good reason why I don't post here much. I'm sorry but TIF has too many hardcore elitists for me to really stay and enjoy having a nice little chat. We're also quite biased against lower levels, meaning that what they think doesn't apply to the maxed level with Overloads, Turmoil, a Yak, and a ton of cash in their bank.

This man speaks the truth. Especially in general discussion, where it's always the same group of elitists who starts pointing out everything wrong about everyone else minus other elitists.

Staurolite.png

This man speaks the truth. Especially in general discussion, where it's always the same group of elitists who starts pointing out everything wrong about everyone else minus other elitists.

Sadly, there is a reason behind this. We usually target people who post unfounded posts based mostly on opinion.

sigcopyaf.png

much better to leave all the unfounded misinformation unquestioned, right?

Let's have a thread for casuals. We already have a free players thread, so why not this as well? :thumbup:

Also, I don't really have a problem with elitists and non-elitists. What I DO have a problem with, though, is shoving opinions against each other as fact.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Also, I don't really have a problem with elitists and non-elitists. What I DO have a problem with, though, is shoving opinions against each other as fact.

Sounds sort of like a religious debate :twss:

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

People are people, always going to disagree with someone.

Capt. Obvious says:

captain-obvious-4-mind-your-own-business-finished.jpg

So true. The main problem is that every person that lives on earth is different. And the flaming will go on.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak