Does the internet change the way you act?

ShadowTheHedgehog

I've been browsing the internet and playing MMO's for the past several years and one thing that's always bugged me is the way people act over the internet. So I would like to know, do you or people you know act differently online than you do in person? And what do you think causes this change in behavior?

Any and all responses are welcome.

~TheBlastMage

theblastmage.pngtheblastmage.png

theblastmage.png

theblastmage.png

For the most part, I'm the same way online that I am IRL. Less swearing though. (For the record, I actually disprove of such "shock-and-awe" abruptness in actual discourse, but I tend to get frustrated, and all criticism of vulgarity abruptly becomes an embarrassing hypocrisy.)

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

No, I act the same on the internet as I do in person. I'm just as blunt, there's no question about it. There are times when I'm nicer on the internet than I am in person, but those are rare occurrences.

Also,

(For the record, I actually disprove of such "shock-and-awe" abruptness in actual discourse, but I tend to get frustrated, and all criticism of vulgarity abruptly becomes an embarrassing hypocrisy.)

I find it extremely hard to believe that you actually converse with people saying things like that.

Yes, definitely. I find it hard to believe that no one changes at all - the same holds true for letters, text messages, and telephones. Without face-to-face contact, we behave differently.

I do make a conscious effort not to be too different though.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I swear more on the internet. Because it doesn't give any bad consequences compared to in real life. I only swear IRL if i hurt myself badly.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

I rarely, if ever, swear in real life. The last time I swore aloud I was probably about twelve.

I'm also really shy irl and I don't speak to people much. I don't have much of a problem with it on here; it still is somewhat, but nowhere near as bad. It's kinda like I behave on the internet the way I want to. (Minus the swearing part)

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

I'm more talkative to strangers and aquantices online than in real life; still blab on with friends in either one though.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Generally speaking, most people are more relaxed about sharing opinions on the internet, because there is (usually) no bad consequences in expressing a controversial opinion.

I don't really change my behaviour in real life or on the internet, I treat people the same, my morals and values are all the same. Nothing changes, except you can't punch me on the internet :trollface.jpg:

For the most part, I think I'm exactly the same. I have both serious and silly sides, and those are evident over the internet. Although I respond to people who talk to me, I very rarely initiate conversations over the internet, and that is also true for real life. I don't talk just for the sake of talking. I talk when I have something significant to say.

Maybe I do appear to talk or respond more on the internet. If that's the case, it's because I have more time to think about what I say... For example, on forums I can read something, think about it, and then reply later. In real life, you can't very well do that. Often I don't think I have anything to say and then a few hours later I'll be thinking about it and will suddenly think of something great to say. But I can't exactly go back and say it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm a different person because of the internet, but the difference at any given point between my online behavior and real life isn't all that different. I'm actually more reserved on the internet I think, although I probably voice my opinion a bit more here. And I talk about slightly different stuff in either place.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I am much more reserved when on the internet.

I´m the exact opposite, why bother to be reserved on the Internet where generally speaking no-one knows who you are?

And I know this will sound like some teenage macho talk excuse for what people do but being behind a screen gives me a sense of freedom to do what you want, voice the opinions, doubts, regrets, etc..., you want that you don´t get in real life. obviously I´m not one of these people who goes round insulting people just because I can or anything like that though.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

I am much more reserved when on the internet.

I´m the exact opposite, why bother to be reserved on the Internet where generally speaking no-one knows who you are?

And I know this will sound like some teenage macho talk excuse for what people do but being behind a screen gives me a sense of freedom to do what you want, voice the opinions, doubts, regrets, etc..., you want that you don´t get in real life. obviously I´m not one of these people who goes round insulting people just because I can or anything like that though.

On the internet I can take time to respond, take time to think how something that I say will effect others. I still say what I want, but I can take a lot longer to think out how to best present what I say.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm a bit more reserved online. My sense of humour is quite harsh but it doesn't really work online because you can't really put it in context. I'm a bit less argumentative online (nowadays anyway), I can debate/argue for the sake of it offline but online now tend to get bored easier. I also find it easier to be nice to people online than I do normally, I have no idea why.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I'm a bit more reserved online. My sense of humour is quite harsh but it doesn't really work online because you can't really put it in context. I'm a bit less argumentative online (nowadays anyway), I can debate/argue for the sake of it offline but online now tend to get bored easier. I also find it easier to be nice to people online than I do normally, I have no idea why.

Because you don't actually know the people.

Not terribly differently, at least I hope. I'm more sarcastic in real life, but just because it's hard to be sarcastic on the internet.

I guess it does a bit. I prefer talking face to face with someone so sometimes the point I'm trying to make doesn't come across as clearly in text as it maybe would have if I'd been talking straight to the person. I guess I take a little more care about what I say online, to make sure it comes across like it should. Other than that, I swear a little more in real life.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I'm more extroverted on the internet and I talk a lot more. Some of my more controversial opinions are best said here; I suppose it's because I'm anonymous so I see little to no consequence in doing whatever I want.

redarrows-1.png

edit - nevermind

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)