The Wilderness

Vio

2002 - 2010

wildsi.png

Just look at it.

7 years ago, there was virtually nothing in the wilderness. Now we have a huge, useless volcano taking up half of it. It's crowded with minigames like FoG, SC and CWA. You have quests there like Summer's End.

Point being, there are far too many landmarks. Even for new players, after 2 or 3 trips into the wild, you get to know where things are and can find yourself.

Back in RSC and the old days, it was different. You could go in, and get lost. That's what I liked about it - the adventure.

The Wilderness isn't wilderness anymore. It's another Runescape city. Discuss.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree, those were the days. IMO they should make the wilderness larger now and make all the landmarks more "spread out". And remove the volcano haha. Oh and I don't see a reason to why clan wars takes such large space, the majority of the clan wars arenas take place off the face of the main world anyways. They should simply just have the starting area and put the lava arena in whatever place all the other arenas are in. Kind of lazy by Jagex I think :razz:

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

You miss the days where there was nothing interesting in the wilderness and the design of it was essentially copy-paste dirt for miles?

I knew the RS Community valued nostalgia more than any other community on the planet, but this is REALLY bad.

I've been playing since '03 and I dont miss that useless, scam-infested barren wasteland at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Get rid of the Clan Wars arena, dump it with the others, and then I think the Wilderness would be better place.

I agree, even though there are like 5 different Clan Wars maps, you only see one in the wilderness.

Why? Dunno, but its a real eyesore. Take the Clan Wars thingy out, and then it'll look better. *look towards the Wilderness Volcano* Oh noes...

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

You miss the days where there was nothing interesting in the wilderness and the design of it was essentially copy-paste dirt for miles?

I knew the RS Community valued nostalgia more than any other community on the planet, but this is REALLY bad.

I've been playing since '03 and I dont miss that useless, scam-infested barren wasteland at all.

I enjoyed the copy-paste dirt.

It was exciting the first few times I explored there, not knowing where the hell I was, constantly on the lookout for blood-thirsty pkers. Now there are banks, mini games, familiar places everywhere. Danger is the last thing people think of when they're in the wilderness now.

clansig7.gif

I think it's more of the fact that the wilderness is kind of cluttered now. Not that it should be empty, just larger and more spread out, that way there's still room for us to get lost again.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Why is everyone complaining about getting lost in the wilderness is a good thing? Yeah, its the WILDERNESS but

there's essentially no point in trying to compliment this matter because it brings frustration to the majority of us

and we're gaining absolutely nothing for being lost in an online game. If its for the sake of challenge, the only thing

we should worry about is the loss of PKING there. Now what do we have? Reverents with the intellect of a 3 year old

who can never pose any significant threat to even the weakest rs player. *sigh* If I wanted the "wilderness" feeling back,

the only thing I would definitely want is pking.

I definitely agree that the wilderness seems much less . . . threatening . . . these days. There's landmarks everywhere so you're never lost, there's nothing really scary (lol rev dragons, yeah right), and there's no paranoia. I used to hate the wilderness because I was always worried about being PK'd. When I saw a white dot, I'd immediately run away and hide.

Good times.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I definitely agree that the wilderness seems much less . . . threatening . . . these days. There's landmarks everywhere so you're never lost, there's nothing really scary (lol rev dragons, yeah right), and there's no paranoia. I used to hate the wilderness because I was always worried about being PK'd. When I saw a white dot, I'd immediately run away and hide.

Good times.

Love nostalgia. Always raises the question - WAS it actually better/more fun/more whatever back then, or is it just nostalgia speaking? Like, remember good things, forget bad things, and people remembering things a lot more fondly once it's a memory, and not an active experience.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Now that you mention it, it's not even dangerous anymore, just bring armor and there we go, no more revenants :/. They should remove that stuff and move it somewhere else, make it like it used to be, a place where you were afraid to go to and that you could get lost at :3

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Good times.

Love nostalgia. Always raises the question - WAS it actually better/more fun/more whatever back then, or is it just nostalgia speaking? Like, remember good things, forget bad things, and people remembering things a lot more fondly once it's a memory, and not an active experience.

Did it look better? No. Was there more to do? No. Was it more dangerous? Hell yes. Was it more paranoia-inducing? Hell yes. I miss the danger and the sense of foreboding. I'm not a nostalgic person, really.

dgs5.jpg

Good times.

No, it's definitely the latter.

NostalgiaGoggles.png

[spoiler=Long quote]

Good times.

No, it's definitely the latter.

NostalgiaGoggles.png

i can log on rsc run to the wildy right now and tell you its not nostalgia, at least for me

The fact that you can play it doesn't mean it's not nostalgia. If I still like the first Harry Potter book after reading it 25+ times, it is certainly an awesome book in it's own right, but it's mostly nostalgia.

WarBlastoise.png

Remove the friggin' clan wars arena that's taking up half the wildy, make the Wilderness Volcano underground, and bring back the bone yard (f2p big bone spawns!), poison spiders etc.

It's not really the issue of the wildy looking like a city. It's just that these spots take way too much space.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

The crux of the matter is that the wildy isn't dangerous any more. (At least in P2P, F2Pers have a slightly harder time with revs)

Seriously, what medium+ level player goes into the wilderness worrying if they'll be in Lumbridge 10 mins later?

Revenants have to be made much more dangerous and intelligent, the wildy has to be larger with more Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V dirt, we should get lost if we're not careful. There must be a non-negligible possibility of death.

Either that or allow players to kill each other again, I'm sure it could be implemented. When you're killed your items disappear and your killer only sees bones and gets no rewards. No potential for RWT, but I'm sure there will be people hunting others just for the heck of it. If that's not enough, a ranking system via the highscores perhaps? Shows the number of people killed? Weighted for your opponents prowess of course.

Either way, landmarks and safe zones should be reduced and the wildy should get larger.

Castle of Zoltar

I enjoyed the copy-paste dirt.

It was exciting the first few times I explored there, not knowing where the hell I was, constantly on the lookout for blood-thirsty pkers. Now there are banks, mini games, familiar places everywhere. Danger is the last thing people think of when they're in the wilderness now.

So you miss the experience, not the content. No matter what Jagex had put in there, you would have had the same experience. Nothing is going to take you back to that, even if they emptied out the Wilderness again.

Yes, it's just the nostalgia speaking. Anyone who genuinely believes the game design of the old wilderness is better than the game design of the current wilderness is deluding themselves.

i can log on rsc run to the wildy right now and tell you its not nostalgia, at least for me

Umm, yes it is. The only reason why you enjoy walking around the copy-paste dirt is because you remember the experience that you had, not because copy-paste dirt is a fun thing to walk around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's just the nostalgia speaking. Anyone who genuinely believes the game design of the old wilderness is better than the game design of the current wilderness is deluding themselves.

The design of the current wilderness is definitely preferable (I'd rather have the Corporeal Beast and Clan Wars than not have them). My only problem with it is the lack of danger. The barrenness of the old wilderness added to that sense of impending doom in a way, but I wouldn't want it back. Though this will never happen, I would like to see the wilderness be dangerous again. I don't even hesitate to take my best gear to multizones in high-level wilderness. That's sad.

dgs5.jpg