The Wilderness

Vio

Yes, it's just the nostalgia speaking. Anyone who genuinely believes the game design of the old wilderness is better than the game design of the current wilderness is deluding themselves.

The design of the current wilderness is definitely preferable (I'd rather have the Corporeal Beast and Clan Wars than not have them). My only problem with it is the lack of danger. The barrenness of the old wilderness added to that sense of impending doom in a way, but I wouldn't want it back. Though this will never happen, I would like to see the wilderness be dangerous again. I don't even hesitate to take my best gear to multizones in high-level wilderness. That's sad.

That's a fair point. Honestly, there is something to be said about minimizing the danger in a game where you lose most of your items on death. I think the current danger level is relatively low, but that's not necessarily bad for the average level player who wants to reach a piece of content in the wildy without dying.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I take back what I said -- I might hesitate to bring my best gear to the CE. Three rev knights isn't that scary, but three rev knights and the CE would make me sweat. On the other hand, I could easily get back to my grave.

I can't say I miss the time before gravestones.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Actually, I take back what I said -- I might hesitate to bring my best gear to the CE. Three rev knights isn't that scary, but three rev knights and the CE would make me sweat. On the other hand, I could easily get back to my grave.

I can't say I miss the time before gravestones.

True dat :thumbup:

Anyone who genuinely believes the game design of the old wilderness is better than the game design of the current wilderness is deluding themselves.

The map looks ugly, with so many large things happening around the place. Example, Clan Wars and Wilderness Volcano. They're just out of place and should never have been put in there, the things should have happened, but elsewhere. With the newer things that are generally useful (Clan Wars Lobby, Red Dragon Isle, Stealing Creation), the copy/paste dirt is lowered, and it'd look respectable.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Anyone who genuinely believes the game design of the old wilderness is better than the game design of the current wilderness is deluding themselves.

The map looks ugly, with so many large things happening around the place. Example, Clan Wars and Wilderness Volcano. They're just out of place and should never have been put in there, the things should have happened, but elsewhere. With the newer things that are generally useful (Clan Wars Lobby, Red Dragon Isle, Stealing Creation), the copy/paste dirt is lowered, and it'd look respectable.

I agree that Clan Wars should not be in the wilderness. However, I quite like the look of the Wilderness Volcano. Maybe that's just me :shades:

My suggestion in full: Create a new island somewhere for the creatures of the Wilderness Volcano, and bring back the boneyard, kill the Clan Wars arena, leaving the lobby. Move the banker and games necklace teleport of the Wilderness Volcano to Stealing Creation.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I agree whole-heartedly. My suggestion:

• (re)Move Clan Wars arena
  • (re)Move BH volcano
  • Chaos elemental roams everywhere
  • Some very good multicombat training spots (salve, cannon possible) with constant revenant trouble
  • Larger size overall would be nice imo
  • Revenants use smite/soul split

I think that'd make the wilderness more dangerous and more fun.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

• (re)Move BH volcano
  • Some very good multicombat training spots (salve, cannon possible) with constant revenant trouble

I like the Chaos elemental idea :thumbsup: That would be pretty cool.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

• (re)Move BH volcano

Awesome idea for the Chaos elemental.

WarBlastoise.png

• Because then it'd be so easy to find and kill :roll:
  • As if they're not ridiculously OPed enough, let's make them MORE OPed! Yay!

OT: I agree, somewhat. They should just space out the land more, make the CW portals a small box, sort of thing, with no arena (Instanced Arenas) and remove the Volcano - it's really just another Slayer's area.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

[*]As if they're not ridiculously OPed enough, let's make them MORE OPed! Yay!

Revs are not OP in the slightest. I used to go rev hunting for fun when I was a 120-something.

Yes, but you were in a situation where you were going to combat Revenants. People who, for instance, need to make a quick jog across the Wilderness are going to find Teleblocking, Freezing and Mage/Range quite annoying, no?

Revs are not OP in the slightest. I used to go rev hunting for fun when I was a 120-something.

Yes, but you were in a situation where you were going to combat Revenants. People who, for instance, need to make a quick jog across the Wilderness are going to find Teleblocking, Freezing and Mage/Range quite annoying, no?

Karil's + ranged protect = useless rev. :huh:

dgs5.jpg

It is too cluttered, you just need to double or triple the size of the wilderness and things will be back to normal. I loved that impending sense of doom ,you walk around and then suddenly your heartbeat quickens when you see the white dot of doom appear, now it is walk into the volcano and kill something or ooh, why not visit the clan wars next to it? I love that big expense of nothing, it scares you and that what it is meant to be. Sure revenants may give you the occasional scare but it pales in comparison to the old wilderness.

You're gonna take Karil's just to make a run to do a non-wizard/combat Clue Scroll? :roll:

OT: Really, with a weekly update, it's inevitable that more and more stuff will flood into areas that are deserted. I wouldn't be surprised to see the desert start cluttering up a bit.

You're gonna take Karil's just to make a run to do a non-wizard/combat Clue Scroll? :roll:

Well I dunno, let's weigh the pros and cons:

Little Johnny has a clue to do. Oh no! It's in the wilderness!

Plan A: Grab clue supplies and prance merrily into the foreboding woods.

Plan B: Grab clue supplies, spend an extra half-second to click on Karil's top/bottom, prance merrily into the foreboding woods.

"Oh golly, a rev knight!" exclaims Johnny. Luckily, Johnny remembered his Karil's, so he did not get frozen, TB'd, or suffer any serious damage. Johnny went on to complete his clue. He even got a robinhood hat!

Moral of the story? Wearing Karil's while doing clues gets you robinhood hats.

dgs5.jpg

I miss the feel of the older wilderness, and in a way the CW Arena and the Wilderness Volcano are pretty much useless. Jagex could remove them, put the CWA with the others, and collapsing the Wilderness Volcano, perhaps making it a part of the chaos tunnels? All they do is serve as a giant wall making traversing through more annoying, and take up too much space. The areas could be used for quest and such. Also- I miss the Boneyard. :cry:

vizardsig-1.png

Plan B: Grab clue supplies, spend an extra half-second to click on Karil's top/bottom, prance merrily into the foreboding woods.

"Oh golly, a rev knight!" exclaims Johnny. Luckily, Johnny remembered his Karil's, so he did not get frozen, TB'd, or suffer any serious damage. Johnny went on to complete his clue. He even got a robinhood hat!

Moral of the story? Wearing Karil's while doing clues gets you robinhood hats.

If they changed Rev's though so they ignore all armor bonuses much like corp does (and remove the salve's ammys effect on them), it would certainly add some more fear towards them without adding "to much damage" to the KO point.

ATM: rev's are to powerful to lower levels and to weak to higher levels. Ignoring armor bonuses, or special attacks, or both, could easily change that.

All they do is serve as a giant wall making traversing through more annoying, and take up too much space.

Speaking of walls, can anybody give me a reason for the wilderness wall/ditch?

It was originally to stop people from luring, even so it had fail as there was plenty of idiots who jumped it and got killed by said lurers. All it serves now is the boundary of the wilderness, and a nuisance for almost all others. So essentially now, it is just a useless piece of coding which should be removed.

Perhaps Jagex could add something more realistic to keeping the evils out, such as pillars which create magical barriers, but you can pass through them like nothing. That would be a hell lot better than the wall/ditch, while showing people "the boundary".

vizardsig-1.png

I've never taken any supplies, other than the necessary Clue Items, and survived, and I'm not the most high level person.

Karils = Pointless for Clue Runs.

Karils = Somewhat useful, but still risky and wasteful for Wizard Clues.

I've never taken any supplies, other than the necessary Clue Items, and survived, and I'm not the most high level person.

Karils = Pointless for Clue Runs.

Karils = Somewhat useful, but still risky and wasteful for Wizard Clues.

So, wait, you're complaining about revs being annoying . . . but you're deliberately choosing not to protect yourself against them? I mean, I'm a 137 and even I don't like being TB'd and frozen. It takes zero effort to prevent it, so I might as well, right? Oh well. Carry on, I suppose.

dgs5.jpg

The Wilderness doesn't look so wilderness anymore. We built this city on Wilderness!

Some of those stuff gotta go. Remove Clan Wars and Volcano out of The Wilderness.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

All they do is serve as a giant wall making traversing through more annoying, and take up too much space.

Speaking of walls, can anybody give me a reason for the wilderness wall/ditch?

It was originally to stop people from luring, even so it had fail as there was plenty of idiots who jumped it and got killed by said lurers. All it serves now is the boundary of the wilderness, and a nuisance for almost all others. So essentially now, it is just a useless piece of coding which should be removed.

Perhaps Jagex could add something more realistic to keeping the evils out, such as pillars which create magical barriers, but you can pass through them like nothing. That would be a hell lot better than the wall/ditch, while showing people "the boundary".

Problem is, even if luring could take place in modern wilderness, the people who ignored the giant skull n' crossbone ridden message warning of the wilderness's dangers will likely ignore the ditch's message as well. Newbs were ignorant of the dangers of the wilderness and jagex should let them learn from mistakes.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png