Tip.It Times: October 10

Cowman_133

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... wow. I personally don't enjoy Soul Wars, but I wouldn't say that Nomad's Requiem is an illegitimate quest because of its tie-ins, nor would I make such sweeping negative generalizations about the people who DO enjoy it.

I actually quite like Conquest, reminds me of Chess. I felt its inclusion in a Void storyline was only natural.

A fairly negative, narrow-minded article.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Um... wow. I personally don't enjoy Soul Wars, but I wouldn't say that Nomad's Requiem is an illegitimate quest because of its tie-ins, nor would I make such sweeping negative generalizations about the people who DO enjoy it.

I actually quite like Conquest, reminds me of Chess. I felt its inclusion in a Void storyline was only natural.

A fairly negative, narrow-minded article.

I agree, having to have played a minigame once to be able to do a quest doesn't in any way make me feel like I'm forced to try out inferior content. It's clear that the writer doesn't like minigames. For people who rarely play minigames, like myself, having to play a round of soulwars or a simulated variation of conquest shouldn't feel like some sort of torture, but more like a variation on the normal gameplay, pretty much like the quest itself (depending on how much one quests).

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

K, 2nd article, name change one:

This has been discussed before, I think the biggest problem is making it once a month. People start changing it just for fun, and plan what name to use next month. I think we should only get 2-3 a year, and have changing back to your previous name not count towards that limit. I changed my name pretty much the day the update came out, but it's been the same since then.

1rst article.

Many can argue that perhaps the least popular activities catered towards the masses are minigames. Some are hugely popular and see enormous buy in from players, such as Stealing Creation at its advent, or the original roll-out of Pest Control. With many possible methods to accumulate masses of gold and experience, a minigame need offer high yield to draw crowds.

They are the least popular activities but some are hugely popular? Wtf?

That wasn't well planned out. Minigames vary in popularity. Some are very very popular, some are not. Pest Control is STILL pretty damn popular for the rewards, same with SC; also, Castle Wars has ALWAYS been popular; it's been popular long before they updated that minigame with some rewards. Even then, most of the rewards seem to only cater to people who want to play castle wars in the first place. If people played for rewards, why has Castle Wars ALWAYS been so popular?

Let's see.... there's a difference between making a player view the tutorial and playing the actual minigame. And how in the HELL do you get the idea that Soul Wars is underused? The quest was a ploy to get players to play an underused minigame that has HUGE crowds on the main world for it due to the experience reward?

The article makes no sense, goes on about how some (POPULAR) minigames are unpopular and how we are forced to do them for quests. Frankly, what's wrong with ONE damn Soul Wars game for the questcape? Or just viewing the tutorial?

I hardly feel these were forced upon us. Nor do I feel it was a ploy to make us play the game. Oh, and I saw no rant when a quest required us to do a round of barrows....

But the biggest issue is I see with the article is that.....There is (in my opinion) absolutely nothing wrong with the small amount of mini-gaming Jagex is making us do in quests. Oh, and I'm quite pleased that my void now has a prayer bonus, useful since I only use it at td's. Anyways, the whole quest REVOVLES around the storyline of the Pest Control minigame, so why wouldn't we see some of that minigame in the quest o_o

The author has the right to his opinion, but....I pretty much completely disagree with it.

I am quite enjoying the fictional series that's running :) Not much to say about it except that I like it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Second article was really relevant; name changes bother me a lot. Mainly because some of them become offensive and you really have no idea who these people are and why they're on your friends list.

Fiction is getting better every week!

I have grown to hate name changes :( They're especially terrible for people like me who log on RuneScape after months of inactivity. EVERYONE on my list is different and even the "previous username" it shows for people was a name change, so I don't recognize them. People PM me saying "Hey tripsis, it's been so long!" And I'm just left thinking "Who are you? D:" I feel like Jagex should either show the ORIGINAL username or allow much fewer name changes.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

K, 2nd article, name change one:

This has been discussed before, I think the biggest problem is making it once a month. People start changing it just for fun, and plan what name to use next month. I think we should only get 2-3 a year, and have changing back to your previous name not count towards that limit. I changed my name pretty much the day the update came out, but it's been the same since then.

1rst article.

Many can argue that perhaps the least popular activities catered towards the masses are minigames. Some are hugely popular and see enormous buy in from players, such as Stealing Creation at its advent, or the original roll-out of Pest Control. With many possible methods to accumulate masses of gold and experience, a minigame need offer high yield to draw crowds.

They are the least popular activities but some are hugely popular? Wtf?

That wasn't well planned out. Minigames vary in popularity. Some are very very popular, some are not. Pest Control is STILL pretty damn popular for the rewards, same with SC; also, Castle Wars has ALWAYS been popular; it's been popular long before they updated that minigame with some rewards. Even then, most of the rewards seem to only cater to people who want to play castle wars in the first place. If people played for rewards, why has Castle Wars ALWAYS been so popular?

Let's see.... there's a difference between making a player view the tutorial and playing the actual minigame. And how in the HELL do you get the idea that Soul Wars is underused? The quest was a ploy to get players to play an underused minigame that has HUGE crowds on the main world for it due to the experience reward?

The article makes no sense, goes on about how some (POPULAR) minigames are unpopular and how we are forced to do them for quests. Frankly, what's wrong with ONE damn Soul Wars game for the questcape? Or just viewing the tutorial?

I hardly feel these were forced upon us. Nor do I feel it was a ploy to make us play the game. Oh, and I saw no rant when a quest required us to do a round of barrows....

But the biggest issue is I see with the article is that.....There is (in my opinion) absolutely nothing wrong with the small amount of mini-gaming Jagex is making us do in quests. Oh, and I'm quite pleased that my void now has a prayer bonus, useful since I only use it at td's. Anyways, the whole quest REVOVLES around the storyline of the Pest Control minigame, so why wouldn't we see some of that minigame in the quest o_o

The author has the right to his opinion, but....I pretty much completely disagree with it.

I am quite enjoying the fictional series that's running :) Not much to say about it except that I like it.

This sums up my opinions on the first article, it was one of the worst articles in recent memory for me. :thumbdown:

First of all, I like how the first article clearly states an opinion instead of something half-this, half-that. I was shocked to see how the discussion went last week, and I hope that we won't see something like it again. I am NOT implying that it's Racheyas fault, but it was a prerequisite to start it.

that said, I must say that I disagree with the first article. sir squab practically said all.

second article: totally. it's just plain annoying. I thought about changing my name once, but you know - friends know my by this name, and given how I dislike it when others change their names, I didn't do it either.

It may be a good way for ppl to get rid of emberassing old account names, but it stops when you can change once a month. Once a year or even more would be enough.

Fictional: I like it! It seems like you really got a nice story starting there and I'm definitely waiting for next week =)

Well, I thought Nomad's requiem was fun. Probably because 90% of the quest was just these super huge boss fights. The rest went by fairly quickly, with that puzzle to make it interesting. And then Nomad was just pure fun. Something that was actually challenging. And those minigames actually had legitimate questions about why they were there. A quest about the burthorpe games room would just be stupid though, on that point I have to agree with you.

I have run into problems with the name changing thing. I tend to just look people up on the hiscores. Usually, I will remember them if I see their stats. But yeah, I have like maybe 50 friends that I keep track of. And the rest, if I need space and I don't remember their name, I will delete them.

EDIT: oh yeah, I have been enjoying the fictionals.

pere_grin.png

Well, I will go on the record as agreeing with the first article. I have always viewed Jagex' activities as second-tier & extraneous, and I dislike the cloying attempts they make to drag players to this content.

It's like when your mom waves a forkfull of spinach under your nose - Are you sure you wont try it? Its good for you, really it is! Your dad likes it; I like it. Try it, you might like it too! And if you dont, no television for you, young man!

GMAFB. If the content is good enough, people will discover it without the developers making it a quest requirement - don't you think?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I'd never tried Pest Control at all before the quests based on it started. I was surprised to find I liked it. I even like Conquest, but not really as much as P.C. or Stealing Creation. They should continue to use the quests to make sure everyone at least looks into the minigames (Except the Burthorpe Games Room, which has nothing to do with Runescape) but forcing us to play them is a little heavy-handed.

The changing names....Well, i only have about 50 people on my friends list, and that was a high point, I'm now at about 40, and if I haven't heard from someone in two weeks or I haven't talked to them in two weeks, i delete them. If there's a name on my list I don't know, I delete it. Nine times out of ten, when I delete a name from my friends list, that person messages me within three days. I don't know why. When they do, I am not afraid to admit I forget names very easily, after all, it took me a year and a half to remember my brother-in-law's name and he lived 100 metres away at the time.

Hey, I just noticed, I'm not a chicken feather anymore! Wootness!!

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

Others on this topic and I may not agree with everything stated in the first article, but it was well written and concise and therefore I enjoyed reading it anyway. Well done in terms of identifying a topic and putting some arguments together.

As others have said, I don't think asking someone to complete the tutorial or one round of a minigame is going too far, but I do see the controversy over whether quests and minigames should share content.

Completely agree with name changing, I can no longer tell who's who and have lost contact with most of my friends except for a few I speak with every time I log on.

Good DYK, but I've welcomed randoms after realizing how valuable 800-1k runecraft exp is :D

2496 Completionist

Been a while since I posted, but I might as well.

First article: I personally enjoyed the game of Conquest that we had to do in Void Stares Back, but I hated the game of Soul Wars we had to do for Nomad's Requiem - partially due to lag and the fact I dislike having to rely on other people for anything after experiencing getting full void through Pest Control *shudders* I don't think it's fair to just generalize minigame inclusion in quests to purely negative, though. Some people really enjoy minigames, others don't. Therefore, some people are going to enjoy the fact that their favorite minigame is included in a quest, while others are just going to have to suck it up if they want the quest done. Honestly, I hate a vast majority of minigames (mainly ones that require teamwork, which means... almost all of them), but I'm still willing to try them for the sake of experiencing everything at least once, and hey. It's only one match (or tutorial) of a minigame. It can't be that bad. They could've asked, say, for us to max out a role in BA instead of just doing the tutorial, y'know :P

I'll also note that I took 3 months and 15+ tries to kill Nomad >.>

Also, I personally like Temple Trekking as a minigame. Can't say how many runs through I've done, but I know I've collected several hundred talon beast charms (and those I wasn't even there for, lol). As for other minigames that may/may not be used in future quests... can't see the Burthorpe Games Room being used for anything (it's too simplistic, plus it doesn't even have any sort of reward system, does it?). Since there are actual rewards (cosmetic or not) from MTA and Rogue's Den, there might be something there. That's my view, anyway.

2nd Article: I don't have that many active friends to begin with, and they usually don't change their names that often, but I know it'd be annoying to have to deal with everyone on one's friend list changing constantly >.<

Link_Olaran.png

First Article:

Shouldn't it be "activities"? Personally I don't care, as they are always going to be minigames for me, but oh well.

As pretty much everyone else has said, rather negative. Valid points, but some of them were... well, ridiculous. So, you're calling Nomad's Requiem a badly-designed quest because it forces you to play a game that hardly lasts any time (oh noes!) and is focused around a monster battle? That's been mentioned, but the statement saying that TVSB is bad because it forces you to play conquest has the same problems with it.

Second Article:

I agree. I've experimented with the name changes (I've gone from Sheep Tails to Guthixial and back), and still I find it annoying. I can barely remember where I met this person or that person, let alone who the heck someone is after 3 name changes. And asking everytime is both slightly insulting and tiring.

Third Article;

As usual, the fictional is my favourite. Not that the other articles were badly written - I'm always that way unless the fictional fails horribly.

Good job to all the writers anyway :)

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

ummmm if you scroll your mouse over a persons name on your list it shows what they were previously named, doesn't anyone else realize this :wall: oh and unless you get of for a month at a time then you would know who everyone is on you Friends list. #-o

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

ummmm if you scroll your mouse over a persons name on your list it shows what they were previously named, doesn't anyone else realize this :wall: oh and unless you get of for a month at a time then you would know who everyone is on you Friends list. #-o

I remember people by the name they had when I first added them (much of my list was added years ago, another large portion when dungeoneering was first released). I don't keep track of about 125 or so name changes every month and I've lost track of original names. What you are suggesting only works if you only have a few namechanging friends. You can still forget names even if you play multiple times a month.

2496 Completionist

Article #1: I agree that they're trying to push activities onto us, but I don't think it's that bad. Nomad's Requiem was a great quest, and while the Void quests were lacking, the Conquest portion was an interesting challenge in the final part. I will, however, be angry if we have to go to the Games Room for any reason whatsoever.

Article #2: The name changing update is one of my all-time favorites. I hate my old RSN. I went through two or three names to get to my current one, which I've had ever since, and I'm not changing it. I know who all of my friends are, even if some of them change their names regularly (most of them don't). For me, the good far outweighs the bad.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I remember people by the name they had when I first added them (much of my list was added years ago, another large portion when dungeoneering was first released). I don't keep track of about 125 or so name changes every month and I've lost track of original names. What you are suggesting only works if you only have a few namechanging friends. You can still forget names even if you play multiple times a month.

Yeah but do you really have 125 friends on RS that you really care that much about, and if you did really care about them wouldnt you take the time to write them down somewhere, oh and you can REMEMBER 125 "close friends" but you cant write down the 20 or 30 you may actually care about

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

I personally like the fact that we were forced to play conquest in the new quest. I'm not a big fan of soul wars, but that didn't bother me to much either. I like conquest but don't care about void knight gear so I don't play pest control or conquest. However, one minigame that wasn't mentioned in this article was Trouble Brewing. Until recently, I had never ever tried it. I played recently with a few friends, and I couldn't believe how fun it was, even though it was non-combat. Its sad that its so ignored. Part of the problem is that it's hard to access the minigame (requires a tough quest), and its got no good rewards. But it is a lot of fun. I wish more players played minigames just for the fun of it more often. What jagex should do, if they want to get people to play unpopular minigames, is make a 0 xp weekend. That way, people would find other things to do that just grind woodcutting at ivy.

Life is short. Eat dessert first.

I am never wrong. Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

What jagex should do, if they want to get people to play unpopular minigames, is make a 0 xp weekend. That way, people would find other things to do that just grind woodcutting at ivy.

Or people would just end up not playing at all.

they could do "bonus rewards weekend" for minigames - give bonus zeal, SC points, Castlewars tickets, etc.

that would work better

I would much prefer bonus rewards weekends to bonus exp weekends (though for most activities, rewards and experience go hand-in-hand).

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

they could do "bonus rewards weekend" for minigames - give bonus zeal, SC points, Castlewars tickets, etc.

that would work better

That wouldn't make unpopular minigames popular. That would make popular minigames swamped.

If Jagex gave you double rating increases for winning in the Burthope Games Rooms, would you spend your weekend there? I mean, it's not even on the highscores...

Yeah but do you really have 125 friends on RS that you really care that much about, and if you did really care about them wouldnt you take the time to write them down somewhere, oh and you can REMEMBER 125 "close friends" but you cant write down the 20 or 30 you may actually care about

I consistently have close to 200 friends, more than half of which change their name every month. I do not have 125 friends that I regularly talk to. Many slots are occupied by people I can play BA with, form a dungeoneering party with, or go monsterhunting with, as well as people from the various pvp and pvm clans I've been a part of.

When I add a friend, my mind categorizes the original username into one of these areas. When the "last known as" switches to something I don't recognize, I lose the ability to quickly recognize what I met them doing (sometimes the highscores make up for this) but more importantly I have no idea how many times I've messaged that particular player or how good they are at a specific activity.

So yes, I can remember basic things about every player on my 200 player friend list (if I don't, I often remove them when I need space) and about the 125 namechangers. I never used the phrase "close friends" in my post, so I'm not sure where you got the impression I routinely talk to 125 people each log-in.

Lastly, relationships are dynamic, meaning the 25-30 people I regularly talk to is a constantly changing group. There is currently no way to organize friendlists and therefore trying to run a monthly search and documentation session would be a huge pain. Name changing is something I view as annoying to the extreme but more or less a necessary game addition as soon as the game engine could support it. It doesn't make playing the game any easier, but is certainly doesn't make it unplayable.

2496 Completionist