Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times: October 10

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:i_trollz_u

What jagex should do, if they want to get people to play unpopular minigames, is make a 0 xp weekend. That way, people would find other things to do that just grind woodcutting at ivy.

Or people would just end up not playing at all.

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze
they could do "bonus rewards weekend" for minigames - give bonus zeal, SC points, Castlewars tickets, etc.

that would work better

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

they could do "bonus rewards weekend" for minigames - give bonus zeal, SC points, Castlewars tickets, etc.

that would work better

I would much prefer bonus rewards weekends to bonus exp weekends (though for most activities, rewards and experience go hand-in-hand).

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@

that would work better

That wouldn't make unpopular minigames popular. That would make popular minigames swamped.

If Jagex gave you double rating increases for winning in the Burthope Games Rooms, would you spend your weekend there? I mean, it's not even on the highscores...

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze
well i didn't know that the minigames which quests are "forcing" (lol) you to do, soulwars and pest control, are considered "unpopular" by any means.

jettrider
[ Display Name History ]

jettrider

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • RSN:Jettrider
  • Clan:DGS

ummmm if you scroll your mouse over a persons name on your list it shows what they were previously named, doesn't anyone else realize this :wall: oh and unless you get of for a month at a time then you would know who everyone is on you Friends list. #-o

I remember people by the name they had when I first added them (much of my list was added years ago, another large portion when dungeoneering was first released). I don't keep track of about 125 or so name changes every month and I've lost track of original names. What you are suggesting only works if you only have a few namechanging friends. You can still forget names even if you play multiple times a month.

Yeah but do you really have 125 friends on RS that you really care that much about, and if you did really care about them wouldnt you take the time to write them down somewhere, oh and you can REMEMBER 125 "close friends" but you cant write down the 20 or 30 you may actually care about

I consistently have close to 200 friends, more than half of which change their name every month. I do not have 125 friends that I regularly talk to. Many slots are occupied by people I can play BA with, form a dungeoneering party with, or go monsterhunting with, as well as people from the various pvp and pvm clans I've been a part of.

When I add a friend, my mind categorizes the original username into one of these areas. When the "last known as" switches to something I don't recognize, I lose the ability to quickly recognize what I met them doing (sometimes the highscores make up for this) but more importantly I have no idea how many times I've messaged that particular player or how good they are at a specific activity.

So yes, I can remember basic things about every player on my 200 player friend list (if I don't, I often remove them when I need space) and about the 125 namechangers. I never used the phrase "close friends" in my post, so I'm not sure where you got the impression I routinely talk to 125 people each log-in.

Lastly, relationships are dynamic, meaning the 25-30 people I regularly talk to is a constantly changing group. There is currently no way to organize friendlists and therefore trying to run a monthly search and documentation session would be a huge pain. Name changing is something I view as annoying to the extreme but more or less a necessary game addition as soon as the game engine could support it. It doesn't make playing the game any easier, but is certainly doesn't make it unplayable.

2496 Completionist

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
Obnoxious first article, second article brings up a good point, but offers no solutions and is painfully short, and I didn't bother with the third fanfic article.

I honestly didn't see Nomad's Requiem and the Void quest line as some "shameless minigame promotion" quests. NR was a short, but challenging quest, the story wasn't very in depth, but was mysterious, and allows for speculation after the end. TVSB was short, but the story was interesting, along with moral choices made it an enjoyable line of quests. There's really nothing wrong with trying to expand on the background of minigames with otherwise scarce story. "Forcing" you to play at least one round of it is more to make sure you have an idea of what's going on, nothing wrong with that, it takes a few minutes anyway.

As for the second article, it's a good point that I've experienced, but isn't a very interesting read. An easy solution would be "display name history", which is often used when you're allowed to change your name somewhere (for example, on this very forum).

P.S. I noticed numerous grammatical errors in the first two articles. Not trying to nitpick though, just pointing it out.

that would work better

That actually sounds like an awesome idea! It could work like a community event with extra rewards to persuade people to join in the fun. I'd also love if they'd be a more regular occurance, not like a once-every-six-months affair like bonus xp weekends.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

roanlo
[ Display Name History ]

roanlo

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 366 posts
1st one:

Your insulted Conquest like it's as crud as the rat pits. Conquest is actually a good game. The actual section where you are required to play 'conquest style', was also an interesting take. Far more engaging then Nomad's Requiem where playing the mini-game had no affect on the actual quest other then the fact that you should know the man and imp that give out the rewards.

Personally, i would have liked to seen 1-2 more waves of Pests, Conquest style. That would have been more 'grandmaster' is my opinion. Besides the 1st puzzle and the panel puzzle, there wasn't much exciting in terms of brain power; although, I did quite enjoy the Pest Queen.

Mini-games that are quite dulled done, do indeed need an upgrade, but i do not see Jagex in future promoting completely dead mini-games. All the ones they have promoted thus far, are popular with at least some part of the community, regardless of whether they are used purely for the rewards, or for the fun.

Don't expect to see the Rat Pits, or gnome ball (both which serve no enjoyment at all, nor the chance to actually play them) or the games room (as it's just as easy to play those games on Funorb or other websites).

obidiah
[ Display Name History ]

obidiah

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 109 posts
I have to agree with what many others have said about the frist article. Playing a minigame once to do a quest does not feel like a hardship. It's not really any different than being asked to do many of the other challenges that are presented to you in quests.
The reason some of the minigames don't get played is that quite a lot don't have rewards to match the time they take and a lot of them don't have that much variation to keep them interesting after a few plays.
But one playthrough of a minigame for a completion of a quest is a sufficient reward rate for most questers so that's the first problem solved, and one playthrough is not enough for things to get monotonous, so thats the second problem covered.

Second article, I can see where it's coming from a lot more, on the other hand I'm generally not embarressed to ask them their original username, I've not had anyone take offense to it yet. Surely if they're changing their names that much they can expect people to be losing track of who they are? and likely have been asked the same thing by other people already.
I don't know why some people would change their name quite so much, it seems a good way to get deleted by those users with friendslist space issues.

A0z9
[ Display Name History ]

A0z9

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:La Vallett1
  • RSN2:La Vallett3
  • Clan:The Scrying Pool
1st article is total BS. The others are way better.
La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

And here... we... go!

Nice reasoning there... Your argument completely validates your points due to its well thought-out piece of intelligent TROLLING THAT YOU DUMP ON THESE FORUMS!!!
Go away, noone wants you here...

I happen to like the first article. The 2nd and 3rd article too, but since everyone already agrees with me there, I dont feel the need to discuss those...
I like it because it takes a controversial point of view, and manages to explain it in a coherent and intelligent and UNDERSTANDABLE way... It is one of the articles out there that has the potential to change someone's mind about how they feel about, in this case, putting a "taste of minigames" in quests...

The author saw it happen twice (three times if you count Diaries) and thinks this will become a trend to "promote" otherwise unused content in the future. He feels that if the content is unpopular it is not a fault of under-exposure, but rather of what that content itself has to intice us to play it...

Well done.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods

And here... we... go!

Nice reasoning there... Your argument completely validates your points due to its well thought-out piece of intelligent TROLLING THAT YOU DUMP ON THESE FORUMS!!!
Go away, noone wants you here...

I happen to like the first article. The 2nd and 3rd article too, but since everyone already agrees with me there, I dont feel the need to discuss those...
I like it because it takes a controversial point of view, and manages to explain it in a coherent and intelligent and UNDERSTANDABLE way... It is one of the articles out there that has the potential to change someone's mind about how they feel about, in this case, putting a "taste of minigames" in quests...

The author saw it happen twice (three times if you count Diaries) and thinks this will become a trend to "promote" otherwise unused content in the future. He feels that if the content is unpopular it is not a fault of under-exposure, but rather of what that content itself has to intice us to play it...

Well done.

Woah, calm down. Think about it this way: Should quests not be allowed to include content or refer to its minigames, just to satisfy those with the idea that doing so is just promoting the minigame? It's not so wrong to use them as sources of content, and Jagex haven't promoted a failed minigame after it's become apparent that they've failed. Soul Wars, Conquest and Pest Control are pretty popular, if not up with the most popular minigames, so treating them as failed just isn't right.

If minigames were completely non-canon to quests, I'm pretty sure the storylines would suffer from it.

~ W ~

Posted Image

obidiah
[ Display Name History ]

obidiah

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 109 posts

Well done.

I do actually think the article is rather making assumptions about why Jagex are using minigames as quest requirements.
I quite like minigames as quest requirements and diary requirements, they don't generally increase my chances of playing the minigame afterwards, but it's nice to get the excuse to play minigames again that I'd only played once on release and then not got round to it again.

So it's entirely possible that Jagex are largely just trying to give us some nice variety in our questing gameplay rather than a particular campaign to create more players for particular minigames. (especially seeing as the two minigames we're largely talking about aren't particular popularity sufferers)

I also think he needs to be a little bit careful about generalised statements about what the community thinks.

For example

"These force-fed elements of the game give an objective player reflux, as our intelligence is insulted with these poorly fabricated ploys to drive activity in underused areas of the game."

Does this mean that I'm not an objective player because I didn't share his feelings of reflux at having to play one game of soul wars?

Opinion pieces are fine, I like seeing different points of view, but the writer needs to make sure that they are presenting things as their opinion rather than everyones, or they will get a slew of people saying the article is bad.

Thanorpheus
[ Display Name History ]

Thanorpheus

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • RSN:Th4natos
  • RSN2:None
  • Clan:Soul Storm
Saying that having to break away from the quests to do these minigames is a bit of a stretch. Personally i always try out new content either the day or soon after its released. Conquest is actually one of my favorite minigames now. And you actually had to use the knowledge of playing conquest during the actual quest so is good that they made sure you knew what you were doing beforehand. All in all, the Quest Cape is still a relatively common sight (at least in W48) and i still have mine so hopefully JaGeX comes out with a good sequel to WGS soon :P

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

Well done.

I do actually think the article is rather making assumptions about why Jagex are using minigames as quest requirements.
I quite like minigames as quest requirements and diary requirements, they don't generally increase my chances of playing the minigame afterwards, but it's nice to get the excuse to play minigames again that I'd only played once on release and then not got round to it again.

So it's entirely possible that Jagex are largely just trying to give us some nice variety in our questing gameplay rather than a particular campaign to create more players for particular minigames. (especially seeing as the two minigames we're largely talking about aren't particular popularity sufferers)

I also think he needs to be a little bit careful about generalised statements about what the community thinks.

For example

"These force-fed elements of the game give an objective player reflux, as our intelligence is insulted with these poorly fabricated ploys to drive activity in underused areas of the game."

Does this mean that I'm not an objective player because I didn't share his feelings of reflux at having to play one game of soul wars?

Opinion pieces are fine, I like seeing different points of view, but the writer needs to make sure that they are presenting things as their opinion rather than everyones, or they will get a slew of people saying the article is bad.

Wait...the author tried to present it as everyones opinion? Where? Your quote was the only one that goes slightly into the direction of that. And tbh, he's kind of right. If you can't see it as a simple ploy to present the minigame, something is wrong. The only difference is if you care or not, where the author cared and others did not.

Also, going through the tutorial would've been more than enough for Nomad's requiem. As said, the storyline is pretty shallow anyway.

"You wonder what the Soul Obelisk is for? I'M charging teh powa!" Battle. Quest finished. Oh well, I forgot the incredibly difficult riddles which were completely suited for a grandmaster quest. I think it's good to have a challenging boss(I haven't yet killed him), but not at the expenses of Storyline and riddles, especially if its a GMQ.

And I liked the first article, it's just that I do not agree with it.

Just one thing

"Many can argue that perhaps the least popular activities catered towards the masses are minigames. Some are hugely popular and see enormous buy in from players, such as Stealing Creation at its advent, or the original roll-out of Pest Control."

I don't really get what is being said here. May be because English is not my native tongue, but to me this doesn't make sense. Can anybody explain?

dragon246665
[ Display Name History ]

dragon246665

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • RSN:Nitro_Naught
Wow that article was negative, I throughly disagree with at least half of it.
Posted Image

obidiah
[ Display Name History ]

obidiah

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 109 posts
"Wait...the author tried to present it as everyones opinion? Where? Your quote was the only one that goes slightly into the direction of that."

Well I can expand on what I was saying, I didn't want to pull apart the authors article to much, it wasn't THAT bad.

But seeing as I'm being challenged:
Maybe not throughout, but there were definite times where I felt he was misrepresenting the views of the community.
I personally still think the quote I mentioned was a strong enough example of this to make the point alone (unless I'm confused as to what reflux is)

But additionally "Conquest, which went out recently with all the popularity of a fart in a space-suit, was the new target"
Seems a misrepresentitive statement too. As can be seen by other comments in this thread, quite a few people enjoy conquest, maybe not everyone, but considerably more than would enjoy being in a fart filled space-suit.
(actually in retrospect - a lot of people would think it was cool enough to get to be in a space-suit they could overlook the fart - maybe the author was saying that the update was quite popular and I have misinterpreted him)

I'm sure I could nitpick other parts of the article if I wanted, but I don't think it's needed. I don't particularly like certain things about the article and have described my reasons why - hopefully in a polite and constructive enough fashion not to offend the author.
I don't think the article is a disaster. (though I think below par compared to other articles I've seen in the tip.it times.)

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts
I liked the article "Do i know you?". It was short and clear. :thumbup:

D. V. Devnull
[ Display Name History ]

D. V. Devnull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,162 posts
  • Location:Slinking in shadow, finding site/forum bugs to kill...
So... didn't read article #3 (don't normally read fictionals, lol)... :oops:

As for Articles #1 & #2, I feel that they're both square-on. :thumbsup:

A lot of the recent changes to RuneScape have appeared in some way or another to be mere half-baked attempts to please the player base. Heck, I can think of a lot of things that Jagex should do that they haven't, and a number of things that they should have never done (and need to direly undo) and were unreasonable to do in the first place. <_<

Further, I like a couple of people's ideas in this thread about Display Names. Long-standing friends should be able to see their friend's original IDs. As for how many changes, I'll disagree just slightly and say that 7 per year would be reasonable, with reversals not counting, and only allow activation of one of those 7 changes every 14 days at the closest, with ability to reverse any time that a user likes without issues. :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "I get how these ranting Tip.It Times writers feel." Devnull
Posted Image and normally with a cool mind.
(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
I agree with both the articles in the Times this week :) I do find the idea of minigames becoming a requirement for quests a little jarring, to say the least. A few may not be a problem, but I think that it's because we've had two of these quests in a relatively short amount of time. Half a year isn't that long of a time when it comes to content development.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users