Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times: October 10

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs
You did not misunderstand him.
But, popularity means it is liked and played by a greater deal of players, and tbh, after the initial crazy that comes with every update, no matter how bad, has died down, I don't see a lot of people playing conquest left. So, it is kind of unpopular, while of course not as bad as the games room ;)

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild
I'm fine with the first article. I think the author is too harsh on some of the minigames, probably projecting his own opinions of them onto the greater community--certainly with Soul Wars, and probably Conquest as well--and it seems dubious that Jagex's main motive in including them in quests is to advertise them. So pretty much I'd say it's wrong. But it's adequately-presented so meh.

Lizard_X123
[ Display Name History ]

Lizard_X123

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • RSN:Lizzenkov
Could have at least added a "Warning: Angggrrrryyyyy" tag to the first article.

Did it ever occur to you that tying minigames into quests/diaries/what-have-you wasn't really a "Hey, we put time into designing this, but it's not popular so we're going to force you to play it to make ourselves feel better!" notion?

You mentioned Barbarian Assault in the Fremmenik diary. Now, while you and I might be quite well versed in the game, and know of BA's existence, it is entirely possible (and I'd say probably) that a large number of new players have no clue what BA is. There is no "List of Minigames" button on their UI. There is, however, a tab dedicated to the diaries, and through this, a player could be directed towards BA, and may find that they really enjoy the game, something they may not have found for quite some time!

Expanding upon that, I believe that having minigames linked to more 'standard-fare' content is less about forcing you to partake in some content you deem nauseating, and more about gaining exposure for the game, so that people who would enjoy the minigame but would otherwise not have found out about it for X period of time, CAN find out about it and direct their attention towards it.
Posted Image

GreenStorm
[ Display Name History ]

GreenStorm

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • RSN:Green Storm
  • Clan:Tal Shiar Alliance
I find the first article a bit of a disgrace. It is nothing more than a collection of unsupported opinions and slander. Some of the author's notions are patently untrue. For instance, the idea that the only people to frequent Soul Wars are bots and pures is quite obviously a falsehood, as is evidenced by the existence of well-organized and maintained high level SW clans. Secondly, the section on Nomad's Requiem seems to be written by one extremely embittered, perhaps by personal failure at the quest. For me and for many other players, Nomad was frustrating, yes, but at the same time a unique and fun challenge of our RS skills. Just because you might have failed, storm, does not mean that everyone else has.

When the author begins to discuss Conquest, we step once again into the territory of unsupported opinion. Many high leveled players, myself included, enjoy Conquest as a fun and alternative way to earn Pest Points. Also, it is a bit ridiculous to classify Pest Control as a outmoded and underused minigame. One has only to go to one of the Pest Control worlds, or interact with a clan like Heart Unit to find that Pest Control is as vibrantly active as ever.

Lastly, I find it extremely interesting that the author has no tolerance for being "forced" to play one single game of Conquest and Soul Wars. It is quite a daunting experience to spend ten minutes familiarizing one's self with the mechanics of a minigame; far more difficult than spending hundreds of hours clicking the same rock [/sarcasm]. I could understand legitimate protests against a quest requiring the earning of hundreds of PC points, but this is an altogether different scenario. If you can't spend ten minutes playing one minigame to progress on a quest, I suggest your time would be better served by playing Pong, or perhaps by repeatedly hitting your head on a rock.

It is also interesting to note that the author references, with tones of horror, a quest dealing with the Mage Training Arena. We already have it-- it's called Rune Mechanics. For future reference, Tip.It Times Editorial Panel, it would help to pick a writer who has a functional grasp of language, instead of whatever inbred monkey we have here.

I also find an extremely unpleasant whining undertone to this article.

I beg the Editorial Panel to not allow pieces of this quality to be published again, for the sake of humanity's collective rationality.
Orc-- Proud member of the Tal Shiar Alliance

blakdragon39
[ Display Name History ]

blakdragon39

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Blakdragon39
  • Clan:MASORS
To reply to the first article, I like the minigames being incorporated into the quests.. sometimes. I think completing the tutorial to do an unrelated part of the quest or something like that is silly, but I liked how Conquest was put into The Void Stares Back. I think it was my favourite part of the quest actually. :)

And I totally agree with the 2nd article! It's so frustrating not knowing who you're talking to in your cc or something like that, happens all the time now. >< Any name changes I've made I've stuck pretty close to my original name. I went from Blakdragon39 (original) to Blak Ajah, back to my original name. So everyone knows who I am!
Posted Image

Kirbyfreek33
[ Display Name History ]

Kirbyfreek33

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
In response to Pimp my Minigame!,

I disagree quite wholeheartedly with the idea that Conquest in The Void Stares Back was "extremely forced and way out of place". The only part that felt out of place during that segment in my opinion was that the floor was conveniently decorated in a checkered pattern. In my opinion, it would make sense that *name hidden* would send splatters after you because their area of effect would most likely do the most damage, and that your party would hide in a small cavern that the splatters' explosions would block, leaving Savant to send in a Void Conquest squad. Also, the reasons for being forced to move in a turn-based manner also make sense; the Void Knights know the pests have a variety of different threats, so they wouldn't blindly charge in, instead standing their ground. Also, if the commorb worked in a similar way to a trickle-charge cell phone, the idea that you would only be able to issue one order at a time makes sense too. In my opinion, the Conquest segment was definitely not an "absurd situation that led to a simulated match of the minigame’s basic rules and operations", given that #1 the Void Knights had created Conquest as preparation to defend against a pest threat in the first place, which is why they would be readily available, and #2 that the party wouldn't just let the pests through the portal into the Kinshra's basement, hence having to use the earlier-mentioned Conquest squad to defend the portal. I felt that the Conquest section was a fitting interlude to allow *name hidden* to tie up *name hidden* and *verb hidden* *name hidden* in order to *verb hidden* *noun hidden*, giving urgency to *name hidden* to charge mindlessly through a door.

As for Conquest having "all the popularity of a fart in a space-suit", I once again disagree as I have seen many players playing Conquest for one reason or another (though people like insulting me when I just have fun messing around with "Kirby's Stupid Tactic Hour"), as it can be a welcome alternative to running after portals in Pest Control for points, and there are still plenty of people who play Pest Control as well *cough*Heart Unit*cough*. Also, while I don't like Soul Wars, I wouldn't call it horrific, as I have seen many players who enjoy it for its actual gameplay or its rewards, even if there are some people that just sit near the entrance and attack barricades to keep their activity bar up for relatively work-free experience. As for the Barbarian Assault tutorial being in the easy fremennik achievement diary, it is perfectly understandable for it to be there, as the tutorial isn't that long to go through, and there are STILL players who should go through it in order to know what they're doing in the game (though it seems most players finally actually watched it instead of skipping through the whole thing). One game of Soul Wars isn't really a problem for a quest (and while yes, Nomad was hard, that doesn't mean he has "tested the limits of players’ collective patience", given how I have seen many forum posts), even if it didn't make that much sense compared to Conquest in The Void Stares Back. Also, Nomad's Requiem is most likely a prequel to something else, hence there being not a whole lot of sense in the plot thus far.

Soul Wars, Conquest, Pest Control, and Barbarian Assault are by no means "underused" in my opinon, and forcing a player to go through one game or a tutorial of these fun minigames is not much of an ordeal to go through, if you consider it an ordeal at all. I've also noticed some contradictions, or at least, strange absences, in this article...

If it is a problem for an easy achievement diary to make you look at a tutorial, and if it is a problem to have a Grandmaster quest require you to play a game of Conquest both in and out of the quest, why is it no issue for you to get halfway through wave-wise in the Fight Caves, which is definitely a minigame; or to have to complete it entirely for the Elite diary? Is it purely because this is something that "any player" could handle since it is primarily just "kill these things over and over", holding much similarity to normal grinding, not needing an ulterior objective like in the previously mentioned minigames? Or is it just because the author doesn't think the Fight Caves is at all an ordeal to do? I have completed the Fight Caves, but I would not like to go through them again, as I have found them too pressure-filled and not enough actual fun, and I don't care that much about re-gaining Fire Capes.

If the author considers Pest Control and Soul Wars "underused", why has the author not mentioned content that at least to me appears much more underused such as Trouble Brewing? I love playing TB for fun, but not many players (comparatively) play it due to its lack of up-to-date rewards and no real incentive to win, since winning does not garner you anything extra. I was surprised that this minigame was not mentioned.

Requiring Temple Trekking to get ONE type of second ingredient for Summoning is hardly a crime in my opinion, especially given that the familiar that this charm would summon is the one that gives the MOST experience out of any of the Summoning familiars, which helps to (but admittedly doesn't completely IMO given how rare nail beast events are) balance out the time taken doing Temple Trekking and Burgh de Rott Ramble.

I believe there is quite a bias in this article, and I disagree with most of what the author has written. However, even with the bias and my disagreement, I found the article to be pretty well-written anyway, and I disagree with the poster 2 posts above who appears to imply that this article is not of very good quality. It simply offers a different perspective, though it admittedly would be nice if the author could draw attention to the article being his or her opinion a bit more.

Andregiant
[ Display Name History ]

Andregiant

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • RSN:AndreGiant
I totally agree with the 1st articlle. I play, don't do quests or minigames.
If a minigame is to be part of a quest, then put it in game.

The 2nd article is right on. Kids, yes I say kids, keep changing their names.
They don't tell you, most times :) Hey Andre! this is yyyy, I'm now xxxx :)

And I love the fictional. Great story there, following it.
Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

Misterknowitall
[ Display Name History ]

Misterknowitall

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  • RSN:Priest Wiz
  • Clan:The Caped Carousers
I kinda like the idea of the Quest Cape being a "been everywhere, done everything"-Cape.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
A major part of minigames, outside reward, is control. Both MA and Conquest have TERRIBLE UI. Thus I played them no more then necessary. Game room and gnomeball were flawed from the start. No reward, not great UI, ability to play GR games on otherwebsites easier/better, etc all lead to their lack of popularity.

And whilst there is a lot of content in RS, after thousands of hours, I've done just about everything that is "fun" in its own right. Many people quit due to boredom, same reason I quit MW2. Those who stay often have other reasons, goals, community, etc.

Personally, I'd like conquest if it were balanced better, and had better UI. Right now, its just Ugh. The main way to win against even opponents is to wait until one messes up.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Foodfight13
[ Display Name History ]

Foodfight13

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • RSN:Foodfight13
  • Clan:Nope

I find the first article a bit of a disgrace. It is nothing more than a collection of unsupported opinions and slander...

When the author begins to discuss Conquest, we step once again into the territory of unsupported opinion. Many high leveled players, myself included, enjoy Conquest as a fun and alternative way to earn Pest Points. Also, it is a bit ridiculous to classify Pest Control as a outmoded and underused minigame. One has only to go to one of the Pest Control worlds, or interact with a clan like Heart Unit to find that Pest Control is as vibrantly active as ever.

...For future reference, Tip.It Times Editorial Panel, it would help to pick a writer who has a functional grasp of language, instead of whatever inbred monkey we have here.

I beg the Editorial Panel to not allow pieces of this quality to be published again, for the sake of humanity's collective rationality.

I find it ironic that you criticize the author of using unsupported opinions and slander when you also are using unsupported opinions and slander in your criticism. <_< You're offering no more factual evidence than he is. You may think that people enjoy Conquest, but your opinion isn't necessarily the truth. If you're trying to convince someone who has no knowledge of Conquest and it's popularity (such as myself) that it's actually played a lot you're not doing a very good job. It certainly doesn't help that you did an excellent job of being polite and not calling names. </end sarcasm>

On a different note, thanks for all the comments on the fictional. ;)
-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-
"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie
Posted Image
"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471
<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

I find the first article a bit of a disgrace. It is nothing more than a collection of unsupported opinions and slander...

...For future reference, Tip.It Times Editorial Panel, it would help to pick a writer who has a functional grasp of language, instead of whatever inbred monkey we have here.

I find it ironic that you criticize the author of using unsupported opinions and slander when you also are using unsupported opinions and slander in your criticism. <_< You're offering no more factual evidence than he is. You may think that people enjoy Conquest, but your opinion isn't necessarily the truth. If you're trying to convince someone who has no knowledge of Conquest and it's popularity (such as myself) that it's actually played a lot you're not doing a very good job. It certainly doesn't help that you did an excellent job of being polite and not calling names. </end sarcasm>

COUGH logical fallacy.

A "letter to the editor" (these responses, for sake of argument) do not require the same amount of evidence that an article writer needs. There is a major difference. In fact, a person responding in the negative about one of the author's claims is proof, however small, that the author may actually be incorrect.

I would agree that this article was, actually, rather lacking in real content. Quotes such as this

In Nomad’s Requiem, players were forced to try out Soul Wars, a horrific minigame, visited largely by those who wished to abuse bugs to harvest heaping experience, and pure characters who wanted fast experience without the annoyance of killing monsters or watching a screen.

are ones I hope to never see attached to another TIF times article.

Is it horrific, well that is more due if anything to the quality of the PLAYERS then anything else. There are balance issues, etc, but the game more often fails because the players are either clueless, or they just don't care.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

magib1
[ Display Name History ]

magib1

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • RSN:Magib1
  • Clan:Orbo ab Chao
Wow...that first article was just painful. My goal in reading the Times is to listen to some players with different takes on issues, not to listen to someone rant about content updates they don't like. Besides the article feeling like a rant, I have to say I disagree with the main premise of the article that incorporating new updates into quests is bad. Honestly, if that approach was taken with every quest they'd all be the same - "go to location x, solve puzzle y, kill monster z, eat cake and celebrate". Even if you don't like a piece of content in a quest I think it's better to at least have some variety in the quests rather than having them all be the same. Sometimes these trials may turn out to be painful mistakes (I think that most of us can agree that Elemental Workshop III would have been a lot better if we could have controlled the pieces from one panel instead of having to run around the perimeter the whole time) but that's all part of the learning curve. If you never try new things, you miss out on all of their potential.

waheera1
[ Display Name History ]

waheera1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts
Well I have to say I'm coming down strongly against article 1, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, as has been said before, the author seeks to misrepresent a large portion of the RS community with assertions about widespread dissatisfaction. I'll not pretend I enjoyed sitting through a game of SW for Nomad's Requiem, having played it several times to help friends in the past. Nor will I lie and say that after viewing the BA tutorial, I have since been back to play the game which never interested me anyway. At the same time, if it is relevant in any way to the storyline of a quest I simply cannot see why it is such a heinous crime to include a tutorial or game as part of the quest's requirements. I'm sure most serious questers would take an easy minigame that could potentially open up fun training routes in the future, over the light puzzle in MEP2...

Claims that SW is almost exclusively full of bug-abusers and low-lifes is insulting to many and grossly inaccurate anyway. Conquest was very favourably received on a different private forum that I am a member of, many of whom are what might be considered "high level". Anyone who's ever tried for lumberjack outfits will dispute the claim that talon beast charms are the only useful drop from temple trekking (it is hugely lucrative courtesy of the rewards - pure ess/ores/seeds etc and snakeskins or other gathered items). Stealing creation remains very popular with virtually all skillers seeking to save money on many buyable skills such as construction or crafting, such that if you know where to look there is almost always a non-combat game running alongside the dedicated worlds. Anyone asking for proof would do well to simply look at any of these minigames, the proof is quite clearly self-evident. The lack of knowledge and understanding implied by the author makes me question whether indeed they have ever played any of the minigames to view the kinds of community that exist for virtually all of the team games. A personal dislike of any element of the game is a perfectly good topic for an article, but should be clearly labelled as a personal view. Blithely generalising about the alleged opinions of the masses when so clearly ill-informed is precisely what will open you up to the criticisms seen on this thread. The two should be kept carefully apart.

Article 2:
Yes, it does irritate me somewhat, but generally the kinds of people that regularly change their names around are the kinds of people that rapidly find themselves removed from my friends list. Apart from a few friends with long-standing desires to change their names, most of my good friends have not been interested in this update and therefore it does not really affect me greatly. The article said nothing interesting or new on the topic and was quite surprisingly short, all things considered.

Fictional article:
Sorry to be harsh, but this series isn't up to previous standards of fictional articles. It all seems a bit twee for a storyline that supposedly involves torture, sabotage and dark arts and, although I don't ever want to read an article that brings such horrors to life on this fansite, it doesn't really fit together too well. Some parts are dreadfully predictable, others ham-fisted and others simply ridiculous. How, for example, can there be a "gaping hole in the land around the castle" when most of the castle apparently fell into the moat and the remainder is meant to be simply on fire? If it's a singular gaping hole that is around the castle, surely the castle must be surrounded by this vast emptiness? Also, what about the all the stonework, earth and water that MUST have been blown all around falador if the explosion is as big as would have been necessary? I'm pretty sure Sir Tiffy, for all his stereotyped British attributes, would be in no fit state to ponce around when considering his proximity to this gaping hole and whatever was blown out of it... Yes, I'm being incredibly pedantic and will probably come in for criticism because of it, but what marks out the greatest writers is that they show incredible attention to detail in things like that. Just a few words can entirely change the tone and meaning of an entire letter/email/paragraph/sentence if used "correctly", so it really is important to consider what is implied by sensational statements such as the one quoted previously. If it is overworked, it becomes unbelievable regardless of the fantasy setting, at which point it begins to become boring.

Foodfight13
[ Display Name History ]

Foodfight13

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • RSN:Foodfight13
  • Clan:Nope

COUGH logical fallacy.

A "letter to the editor" (these responses, for sake of argument) does not require the same amount of evidence that an article writer needs. There is a major difference. In fact, a person responding in the negative about one of the author's claims is proof, however small, that the author may actually be incorrect.

He may be incorrect, but that doesn't mean that anyone who objects to any argument with a lack of evidence supporting their objection is automatically more likely to be correct than the person they're arguing against. Just because they say "no, you're wrong" doesn't mean they're right.
-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-
"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie
Posted Image
"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471
<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

veziv
[ Display Name History ]

veziv

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts
The main problem with the first article (and the one that annoyed me enough to log in and comment on it) is that despite the fact that the author sounds like a logical person, who knows the rules for good writing, he has to resort to childish insults and massive exaggerations to make his point.

For example: "... Soul Wars, a horrific minigame, visited largely by those who wished to abuse bugs to harvest heaping experience, and pure characters who wanted fast experience without the annoyance of killing monsters or watching a screen." Do Tip.It Times editors really think that this kind of rhetoric helps the writer make his point? Is it really necessary to resort to blanket accusations of rule-breaking against everybody who enjoys something you don't like?

Unfortunately, this kind of rhetoric is becoming common in RL politics. I will not divert the thread off-topic by bringing up specific examples, but I do hope that the article's negative reception teaches the writer (and also Tip.It editors who chose to publish it) that mixing your opponents with dirt isn't the most effective or persuasive way to make your point.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

COUGH logical fallacy.

A "letter to the editor" (these responses, for sake of argument) does not require the same amount of evidence that an article writer needs. There is a major difference. In fact, a person responding in the negative about one of the author's claims is proof, however small, that the author may actually be incorrect.

He may be incorrect, but that doesn't mean that anyone who objects to any argument with a lack of evidence supporting their objection is automatically more likely to be correct than the person they're arguing against. Just because they say "no, you're wrong" doesn't mean they're right.

My point was not that either side is more likely to be correct, rather that in this case the writer needs more proof then the others, just as I require less substantial resources for a 3 page paper then I would for a doctoral thesis. Whilst an author may have done some research, a letter to the editor is often published without much, if any, evidence given. That is my point, simple as that. Writing from different positions require various types of evidence and proof.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Wow... This goes for a lot for people responding in this thread:

L2DISTINGUISHFACTSUSEDFORARGUEMENTATIVEREASONSFROMOPINIONS

FACT: Conquest is not NEARLY as popular as Pest Control, Soul Wars, Castle Wars or even Barbarian Assault. Why? Simply put, Pest Control gets you Commendation points much faster, and therefor most people will play Conquest only to get a rank higher than 1250 for the Void Deflector, just like a lot of people used to train Slayer to 85 and not higher...

See what I did there? Its not an opinion I stated, but a fact, backed up by logical reasoning of why the things are the way they are...

Now an opinion; I find the minigame Conquest "horrific" in the sense that I am rather rewards driven, and would therefor play Pest Control sooner than Conquest.

The author has used both examples to make his ONLY point in his opinionated piece. He has come to a conclusion and warns the community about more and more minigames possibly becoming part of quests and diaries (you can bet your ass that the Wilderness Diary will include a game of Stealing Creation)...

A "letter to the editor" (these responses, for sake of argument) do not require the same amount of evidence that an article writer needs. There is a major difference. In fact, a person responding in the negative about one of the author's claims is proof, however small, that the author may actually be incorrect.

What?! You really are the FOX news of these forums are you not? Glen Beck could not have done it better himself...
You literally claim that, as a reader and responder, you do not need proof because the simple fact that you disagree is proof enough? Are you completely [developmentally delayed]ed? If you truly believe this, than it is no surprise to me that you never even got a response back from the Times Panel...

Responses like these are the sole reason this community is turning into a mudslinging flamefest, and I have now made it my personal mission to have people like you banned form these forums...

I would agree that this article was, actually, rather lacking in real content. Quotes such as this

In Nomad’s Requiem, players were forced to try out Soul Wars, a horrific minigame, visited largely by those who wished to abuse bugs to harvest heaping experience, and pure characters who wanted fast experience without the annoyance of killing monsters or watching a screen.

are ones I hope to never see attached to another TIF times article.

Is it horrific, well that is more due if anything to the quality of the PLAYERS then anything else. There are balance issues, etc, but the game more often fails because the players are either clueless, or they just don't care.

He is not wrong though... Those things that you name are one of the many reasons that make it a horrible minigame to play, especially since there is no mention from Jagex of fixing it in the near future. But here's my advise; since you do not want to see conclusions drawn by authors on the Tip.it Times article anymore, based on their own experience, I'd say stop readng the Times? You are not obliged to read it about being obliged to play a minigame in order to complete a quest :)

I find the first article a bit of a disgrace. It is nothing more than a collection of unsupported opinions and slander. Some of the author's notions are patently untrue. For instance, the idea that the only people to frequent Soul Wars are bots and pures is quite obviously a falsehood, as is evidenced by the existence of well-organized and maintained high level SW clans.

You do realise that the Times panel is ALLOWED to write opinionated, don't you? But, have to tried playing Soulwars on one of the designated worlds? If you have, then you'd agree with the author on this.

I agree with you that Pestcontrol is still massivly popular, but as I previously said; Conquest's popularity will die down once everyone has their shiny deflector...

Lastly, I find it extremely interesting that the author has no tolerance for being "forced" to play one single game of Conquest and Soul Wars. It is quite a daunting experience to spend ten minutes familiarizing one's self with the mechanics of a minigame; far more difficult than spending hundreds of hours clicking the same rock [/sarcasm]. I could understand legitimate protests against a quest requiring the earning of hundreds of PC points, but this is an altogether different scenario. If you can't spend ten minutes playing one minigame to progress on a quest, I suggest your time would be better served by playing Pong, or perhaps by repeatedly hitting your head on a rock.

Again, you missed the point too... He talked about the emergent trend that minigames and diaries are becoming more integrated into quests. He doesn't like it at all because it looks like blatent ploy to get us to play underused content which is underused for a different reason than lack of exposure... His opinion of it is one of disgust, but signalling the trend is undebatable..

It is also interesting to note that the author references, with tones of horror, a quest dealing with the Mage Training Arena. We already have it-- it's called Rune Mechanics. For future reference, Tip.It Times Editorial Panel, it would help to pick a writer who has a functional grasp of language, instead of whatever inbred monkey we have here.

I'll go easy on you, not because you're a clan member of mine, but because you're relativly new to these boards, but what you wrote there is borderline flaming. You're not wrong about Rune Mechanics, but calling the author an inbred monkey, especially if the language in the article is sound, goes too far... Just like i said to Stonewall; you don't have to read these articles if you don't want to, even I am not forcing you :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab
I STILL love how no one but me seems to remember that the curses quest involves a round of the barrows minigame.... Or does that just not count because many people, and more importantly, probably the author, like that game? It's popular, I like it, so it doesn't count that this one quest forces us into playing it....

Also, you know, I could frankly deal with being forced into the burthrope games room for a quest/diary if it was for only, say, 20 minutes. As long as I don't have to play a game with another player; and the only reason I have a problem with THAT is simply because I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to FIND a player to play the game with. Shove me in a match with an NPC in the games room that I don't need to win, then I don't mind. Perhaps a quest involves the Price of Falador wanting a game of...whatever....down there before he talks serious politcs with you or something.

Also, there's a point that Ts_Stormrage made that I have to agree with; I'm pretty sure the tipit times are editorial, and editorial articles are allowed to be opinionated. I think the author went a little far when he mentioned things like "with the popularity of a fart contest in a spacesuit" however.

Come to think of it, it DOES seem to be a trend in quests, etc, for Jagex to push minigames on us. Although I still see nothing wrong with them pushing minigames on us in quests, etc, providing they aren't too heavy-handed about it; no more then one round of a minigame, or just the tutorial; which is all that Jagex HAS pushed towards us...

EDIT: Come to think of it, Barrows was actually the FIRST minigame to be pushed on us in a quest too, considering I know I had curses when I fought Nomad.... now I'm curious on if curses came out before the Fremnik diary, which "forces" us to view the BA tutorial.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
And here I was thinking that I was special... turns out you guys hate everyone on the Times.

Stormveritas is one of the best authors we have on this forum and I've never failed to enjoy one of his articles even if they're a different opinion to my own. Because that's what some of us do, listen to and enjoy other people's opinions and thoughts without feeling the need to barge in and attempt to belittle and destroy every point not exactly the same as our own.

The article brings up some valid points and at the very least should make you notice the trend of minigames becoming a requirement of quests - whether you think that's good or bad is your own opinion.

I'm getting fed up at the poor attitude of the community recently. Calling articles horrific or disgraceful is a little bit of an overreaction don't you think? Authors have feelings too. There wouldn't even BE articles for you to read if people didn't volunteer their time and energy towards this. I really think that people should start acting with a little more respect.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
Anyone that writes an article has to be able to take criticism, people won't always like what they read. If it's flaming then the mods need to do their jobs and remove the posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users