12-Oct-2010 - Charm Sprite Hunting

Michael

12-Oct-2010 - Charm Sprite Hunting

If youre a practised hunter with a passion for Summoning, youll be able to turn your skills to good use and bag some handy rewards in the process, with this new Hunter skill update (for players of level 72+).

The Taverley druids constant forays into the Spirit Realm have had an unforeseen impact on RuneScape. Invisible creatures, which are actually the power contained within charms, are spilling out into our world. Yaktwee Swinmari Cianta, aged gnome hunter and self-proclaimed jack-knife-of-all-trades, expounds the virtues of staying in shape by capturing these pesky little critters, more commonly referred to as charm sprites.

Doing so requires the keen eyes of experienced hunters to spot when these creatures are in the area, honed reactions to target and reveal the critters, and cool, calculated aiming in order to capture them as they rush to get away! The more charm sprites you manage to capture, the more Summoning charms youll earn.

Mod Tytn

Lead RuneScape Content Developer

Summary:

Where to hunt charm sprites:

Talk to Yaktwee south of the Tree Gnome Stronghold's main gate.

Requirements to hunt charm sprites:

72 Hunter

4,000 coins to buy the necessary equipment from Yaktwee.

Six free inventory spaces are recommended.

In other news...

The Conquest activity's champion units have had their health reduced slightly.

Many of the Make-X menus in the game have been redesigned. The new version doesnt require you to right-click to choose Make-X or Make-All. Also, wherever the new menu offers Make-X, it also offers Make-All, so you wont have to keep typing the same numbers manually. Some of the newly introduced Make-All options include smelting ores, fletching bows and crossbow stocks, and other such popular skill activities.

Weve also added a couple of new ranged and magic options for low-level players. Rangers might like to get hold of the new sling weapon, which doesnt need any ammunition to use, and mages should give the new level 1 Wind Rush spell a try as it only requires air runes to cast or free with a staff of air equipped. Slings are dropped by creatures in the Lumbridge Catacombs (and Kayles bow has instead now become Kayles sling).

Finally, a handful of low-level monsters in the free-to-play area including giant rats, giant spiders and goblins have been rebalanced to be more interesting for new players to fight, which has been made possible by the changes made to life points earlier this year. Theyll also provide handy target practice for the new slings and spell.

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

* Fixed the various planks to walk onto ships for those who are using the minimum detail graphics settings.

Quests/Achievement Diaries

* The elite Karamja Achievement Diary gloves now work properly with the ladder to the gem mine in Shilo Village.

* Fixed a problem in the Death to the Dorgeshuun quest.

Activities/D&Ds

* Added code checks to keep the teams in Stealing Creation more closely balanced.

* Corrected the Mobilising Armies text discussing prices of rewards and about imbuing rings.

Miscellaneous

* Fixed a few issues with familiar timers not working properly.

* Adjusted some of checks when using the Mage Training Arena.

* Rewrote the canoeing travel code.

* Fixed all of the issues experienced last week in the Dwarven Mine.

* Due to the supernatural disturbances in the charm sprite hunting area, players should note that the wolves, bears and giant spiders that used to roam this area have migrated. The wolves can now be found north-west of the Battlefield; the bears now live east of the Legends Guild; and the giant spiders have scurried over to the jungle south-west of the Feldip Hills.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as I saw this on the forums, I ran down to Gnome Stronghold.

I really hope this will be a good way of obtaining charms. (At least 50 crimsons per hour.) and that it won't be just another D&D... =\

Hm, it seems that they drop charm slices, instead of charms. And you need 10 slices for 1 charm. Does this mean, we have to catch at least 500 of these, an hour, just to get 50 crimsons in 1 hour? 500 per hour would be... 7.2 seconds per sprite.

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

About time they lowered the HP of Champions, they are way overpowered. Now just make the soldiers move faster and it'll be good!

The way they describe the Charm Sprites makes it sound like it is similar to imp hunting, which I guess makes sense given how useful charms are.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I hope it's good hunter experience. It looks much more engaging than penguins or salamanders, so I might just do this for my hunter exp. I'm kind of surprised that there are three different sprites that require the same hunter level to catch. Also, I imagine that fans of Conquest will be happy to see champions become a little more balanced.

EDIT: Kudos to Jagex for making ranged and magic training viable options for beginners.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

* Fixed the various planks to walk onto ships for those who are using the minimum detail graphics settings.

Quests/Achievement Diaries

* The elite Karamja Achievement Diary gloves now work properly with the ladder to the gem mine in Shilo Village.

* Fixed a problem in the Death to the Dorgeshuun quest.

Activities/D&Ds

* Added code checks to keep the teams in Stealing Creation more closely balanced.

* Corrected the Mobilising Armies text discussing prices of rewards and about imbuing rings.

Miscellaneous

* Fixed a few issues with familiar timers not working properly.

* Adjusted some of checks when using the Mage Training Arena.

* Rewrote the canoeing travel code.

* Fixed all of the issues experienced last week in the Dwarven Mine.

* Due to the supernatural disturbances in the charm sprite hunting area, players should note that the wolves, bears and giant spiders that used to roam this area have migrated. The wolves can now be found north-west of the Battlefield; the bears now live east of the Legends Guild; and the giant spiders have scurried over to the jungle south-west of the Feldip Hills.

Far less patch notes this week.

Ive finally been online soon enough to see the system update for an update... and it only took about 7 years of more or less weekly updates.

too bad i have 7 hours of class today.

glad they are introducing a new way to get charms other than combat. wonder if they are going to expand it to other skills as well.

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

I wouldnt hold ur breath on it being good charms.

According to kb.

Catching a sprite only has a CHANCE of giving a charm slice.

10 slices in matching colour required to make 1 charm.

So if your extremely lucky you're looking at I'd say 15+ catches per charm.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Don't get your hopes up, summoning is still supposed to be a combat skill, so this update won't give the best charms/hr.

Where is it said that it's supposed to be a combat skill? Some of the familiars I use most are non-combat.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

One huge "WHAT?" at the low level update.

Free spell with Air Runes? Isn't magic being AFKed enough already in Lumbridge Cellar?

Ranged - Not needed, might be something to work with in the future though. It has potential, but not the way it is now. (How fast/slow are these? I hope slow, seeing it's only a bit weaker than a Bronze Arrow.)

Though, overall, not needed. Plenty of Runes/Arrows available in the Catacombs/SoS. And you generally don't stay a low level for too long.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Don't get your hopes up, summoning is still supposed to be a combat skill, so this update won't give the best charms/hr.

Where is it said that it's supposed to be a combat skill? Some of the familiars I use most are non-combat.

You get combat levels from leveling your summoning? Doesn't that make it a combat skill?

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that Summoning has given me 12 combat levels since I started gathering charms. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that Summoning has given me 12 combat levels since I started gathering charms. :rolleyes:

Touche, lol

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

Then it's a shame that a skill with such potential to help both combat and non-combat is being pigeonholed into being combat oriented. As if enough gameplay doesn't revolve around combat already. What is the point of this update then if summoning is a "combat only" skill?

After all, we don't get combat levels from slayer, even though it is clearly a combat skill. Just because we do get combat levels from summoning shouldn't make it a combat oriented skill.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Summoning HAS to be a combat skill because of the combat familiars.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Summoning HAS to be a combat skill because of the combat familiars.

Herblore HAS to be a combat skill because of the combat potions.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

You are missing the point.

Would you argue that mage is supposed to be a combat skill, yet they have lunar spells that helps with non-combat related skills?