12-Oct-2010 - Charm Sprite Hunting

Michael

Okay, as far as I've seen:

You'll get somewhere from 20k-40k hunting experience an hour doing this.

You'll also get Maybe 4 gold, 3 green, 2 crimson and 1 blue per hour too. (This is per hour. 1000 hours just to get 99 anyone?)

So unless it's change to 2 slices per charm, I doubt this would even be feasible for "hunter + charm gathering" since you can clearly get 90k hunting experience an hour, or over 200 crimsons per hour.

(Though, I have to say... It is a bit fun to do this rather than normal charm hunting, that's something it should have at least x3)

Even if we got charms instead of charm slices, it would only be 40 gold, 30 green, 20 crimson and 10 blues an hour. Why make these into slices at all?

Though, these aren't studies that I have spent hours, since it hasn't been out for hours. But if I assume that doing it for 20 minutes, catching at least 50+ I've got a general idea of what it is per hour. (And yes, I think 60k hunting experience would be the absolute maximum experience per hour this could give. and maximum of "good" charms would be 15-20 blue charms an hour. Still not good enough in my opinion)

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get your hopes up, summoning is still supposed to be a combat skill, so this update won't give the best charms/hr.

Where is it said that it's supposed to be a combat skill? Some of the familiars I use most are non-combat.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that Summoning has given me 12 combat levels since I started gathering charms. :rolleyes:

Then it's a shame that a skill with such potential to help both combat and non-combat is being pigeonholed into being combat oriented. As if enough gameplay doesn't revolve around combat already. What is the point of this update then if summoning is a "combat only" skill?

After all, we don't get combat levels from slayer, even though it is clearly a combat skill. Just because we do get combat levels from summoning shouldn't make it a combat oriented skill.

Are you kidding me? I'd feel sorry for people fighting me if they didn't know I was packing a steel titan. Summoning isn't an entirely combat-based skill, but it affects combat so drastically that it HAS to raise your combat level. Slayer, on the other hand, does not affect your combat ability outside of being able to kill more stuff than most people.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Summoning HAS to be a combat skill because of the combat familiars.

Herblore HAS to be a combat skill because of the combat potions.

Let's think: If a skill gives combat levels, it is a combat skill.

Let's Say: Combat level ONLY Actually matters in pvp.

Smaller 'matters' exist too, I know, I am not going to document them here, I hope you won't, either.

In other places, Combat level is Almost purely cosmetic.

->

Extreme potions are the ONLY reason why herblore COULD be considered a combat skill - only people with decent herblore levels CAN use them.

Otherwise, if they were tradeable, they'd be like other potions, or even swords used when smithed: everyone has access to them, therefore they won't affect combat.

However, extreme potions CANNOT be used in PVP.

If they could be, and still were untradeable, herblore 80+ Should raise your combat level In My Opinion, but ONLY to make PVP balanced. It'd Sound stupid, to have 'skilly skill' herblore raise your combat, though.

Summoning CAN be used in PVP

Therefore, Summoning SHOULD raise combat level.

That's my two and a half pence.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

One huge "WHAT?" at the low level update.

Free spell with Air Runes? Isn't magic being AFKed enough already in Lumbridge Cellar?

The previous spell for afking used minds, which are already dirt cheap (5gp ea). This isn't really game changing, now you're saving 5k per 1000 casts..... :rolleyes:

clansig7.gif

New F2p spell - Wind Rush (level 1)

Max hit - 10 LP

EXP per cast - 2.5 xp

Cost - 2 air runes (free with air staff)

Overall, this spell is pretty good for newbies. With 3 seconds and 2.5 exp per cast, then you're looking at 3000 exp per hour with continuous 0's (such as on the chaos druid in Varrock castle), but it's not like anyone is going to be afk'ing this for 99.

Does that familiarisation d&d contribute? The 3x charms thing?

No.

1) That ability effects charm DROPS. These are not drops.

2) They do NOT give charms, they give charm slices.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

No.

Have you actually tried it?

Yeah, so far it's not great charms and it isn't excellent hunting xp (it is decent xp though), but I'm having a lot of fun actually doing it. I'll probably stick with it because it's more fun (and more interactive without being mind numbing) than the other ways of training hunter I've tried in the past.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

Regarding make-x no longer working with a BoB.....

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know people were training like that. It wasn't even meant to be possible for you to get items from your BOB while the offer-X loop was in progress; this may have cropped up as a bug during an engine change to the way those loops work.

I'm really sorry about that.

Basically confirms everything that I've ever thought about the developers.

do the charm sprites carry anything other than just charm slices?

I don't think so, but there are rumours of a high Strange Rock rate.

Thats a shame. But high strange rock frequency is a nice bonus i guess.

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

No.

Have you actually tried it?

No but its pretty obvious it won't.

Why would a bonus that effects CHARM DROPS effect something that is neither charms or a drop?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Are you kidding me? I'd feel sorry for people fighting me if they didn't know I was packing a steel titan. Summoning isn't an entirely combat-based skill, but it affects combat so drastically that it HAS to raise your combat level. Slayer, on the other hand, does not affect your combat ability outside of being able to kill more stuff than most people.

The point is that this update was anticipated to help skillers gain charms through non-combat. Their moving aggressive monsters out of the area seems to point to that anyways. It is a shame then that summoning still seems to rely on combat as the only realistic method for gaining charms. Especially given that the skill has so many non-combat applications.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know people were training like that. It wasn't even meant to be possible for you to get items from your BOB while the offer-X loop was in progress; this may have cropped up as a bug during an engine change to the way those loops work.

That sucks, still got 9k d bones to do :angry: oh well, can live with the 2 second loss i guess.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

[hide]

Don't get your hopes up, summoning is still supposed to be a combat skill, so this update won't give the best charms/hr.

Where is it said that it's supposed to be a combat skill? Some of the familiars I use most are non-combat.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that Summoning has given me 12 combat levels since I started gathering charms. :rolleyes:

Then it's a shame that a skill with such potential to help both combat and non-combat is being pigeonholed into being combat oriented. As if enough gameplay doesn't revolve around combat already. What is the point of this update then if summoning is a "combat only" skill?

After all, we don't get combat levels from slayer, even though it is clearly a combat skill. Just because we do get combat levels from summoning shouldn't make it a combat oriented skill.

The point is that this update was anticipated to help skillers gain charms through non-combat. Their moving aggressive monsters out of the area seems to point to that anyways. It is a shame then that summoning still seems to rely on combat as the only realistic method for gaining charms. Especially given that the skill has so many non-combat applications.

[/hide]

Realistic? As far as I'm aware, you can gather charms via sprites. It doesn't get much more realistic than that. FYI, the lava titan is the highest level familiar that a skiller really needs. There's nothing stopping skillers from camping waterfiends for their charms if sprites aren't fast enough.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

So you cant make-x with BoBs anymore?

Are you [bleep]ing kidding me Jagex?

I have an assload of d bones left to do how dare you -.- :thumbdown:

"I didn't know people were training like that."

Shows how much Jagex knows about how to play their own game :wall:

Later on in that thread they mention they've been training with ectofungus... I guess that does explain a lot. :unsure:

[hide]

[/hide]

Realistic? As far as I'm aware, you can gather charms via sprites. It doesn't get much more realistic than that. FYI, the lava titan is the highest level familiar that a skiller really needs. There's nothing stopping skillers from camping waterfiends for their charms if sprites aren't fast enough.

Yak would be pretty useful for skillers. A skiller dosn't "need" any familiars, just like a main dosn't "need" familiars. It's just a nice addition to the game and training.

As far as gathering charms with this update it is slow and not much of a benefit to gather charms with due to that. If any skiller is serious about getting charms i doubt they will use this method.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

I didn't know this.... and I consider myself a veteran player with a good knowledge of the game. To expect that everyone at Jagex knows this is asking too much.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

I didn't know this.... and I consider myself a veteran player with a good knowledge of the game. To expect that everyone at Jagex knows this is asking too much.

I suppose it is a bit much to say that the mod in question should have known about this. Apologies if you were offended in some manner :oops:

What i suppose i meant was,

"doesnt jagex read guides/watch videos made by players to see how they are using the content,

and what methods are being used. aka the 'try-not-to-break-it' list"

:-|

inb4jagexmotto

Cool updates. Love the make X options. Well done!

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~