Mcdonalds burgers

The_Gabe

Note: Credit goes to Nirvana 05 for the text. Thread taken from Blasphemy forums.

McDonalds Hamburgers: Almost Entirely Indestructible

20100826_happymeals_560x375.jpg

In the name of both art and science, New York photographer Sally Davies decided to buy a hamburger happy meal from McDonald's, set it out on a table, and take a picture of it every day until it disintegrated. That was 137 days ago and the end is nowhere near: The fries look as fresh as the day they came out of the fryer, and the burger minus a little patty shrinkage is virtually unchanged. Davies plans to keep going with the project until something happens, but she'd better be ready for a long haul: A twelve-year-old McD's burger surfaced a few years ago looking shockingly well-preserved.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/08/mcdonalds_hamburgers_almost_en.html#comment-list

12-Year Old McDonald's Hamburger, Still Looking Good

20080925-mcdonaldsburger.jpg

The McDonald's hamburger on the right is from 2008; the one on the left is from 1996. And they both look fairly edible.

Wellness educator and nutrition consultant Karen Hanrahan has kept a McDonald's hamburger since 1996 to illustrate its nonexistent ability to decay. Aside from drying out and bit and having "the oddest smell," it apparently hasn't changed much in the past 12 years.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/09/12-year-old-mcdonalds-hamburger-still-looking-good.html

A McDonalds spokesman stated that they only use salt&pepper on the patys, no conservants whatsoever.

Too good to be true?

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salt and pepper that the spokesman was talking about was what is applied to the burger after it has cooked. I have no idea what was applied to the burgers before they were shipped to McDonalds restaurants (I worked at one for 3 years). It's surprising that they last that long.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

They're secretly made of adamantium.

Interesting, I find it hard to believe that they truly can last that long but I'm not about to go try it out myself.. I wonder what kind of environment the hamburgers have been left in.

Apparently they are dried. I wonder if the same result would happen with other plain burgers, plain buns?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

For leaving the burger alone, she certainly messes with the fries an awful lot.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Interesting, I find it hard to believe that they truly can last that long but I'm not about to go try it out myself.. I wonder what kind of environment the hamburgers have been left in.

Apparently they are dried. I wonder if the same result would happen with other plain burgers, plain buns?

I would assume you would end up with the same results.

For leaving the burger alone, she certainly messes with the fries an awful lot.

Yeah, I thought the same. It's like those before and after shots they have on TV for acne, dieting, etc. commercials.

tFtfA.jpg

Let's just ask ballerplaya, he worked at McDonalds until recently, maybe he can shed some insight?

The seasoning on the patties CONTAIN salt and pepper as well as OTHER ingredients like paprika and others which I can't think of. I will look tonight when I take my uniform back.

Our burgers look like ass when they sit on the table for 15 minutes let alone 137 days.

sigcp.png

65,280 to 99 fletching on 3-14-09

40,405 to 99 woodcutting on 10-17-2009

I need to try this with a regular burger.

McDonalds burgers, are, in my opinion, disgusting, but I've never see one compared to a regular patty. Next time we have burgers, I'll try it and post pics.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

I'm going to buy one and keep it in pretty high humidity, see what happens... not.

If it's dry, then I can easily see it happen, as anything dry doesn't have much chance of decaying, but I'm sure in humidity it will decay, pretty fast but maybe not as fast as something that's not full of chemicals.

Anyway, this topic is giving me a craving :P

Where does mildew come from? Moisture.

What does salt do? It removes moisture, quickening the drying process.

Put any piece of food with a bit of salt on it in a relatively dry environment and there is no way it will grow mold. This isn't very complicated logic, people :l

wl7w9j.png

Where does mildew come from? Moisture.

What does salt do? It removes moisture, quickening the drying process.

Put any piece of food with a bit of salt on it in a relatively dry environment and there is no way it will grow mold. This isn't very complicated logic, people :l

This. Coupled with some chemicals added into it, it won't rot for a while. Brings me another question. Nuclear Apocalypse occurs, perhaps Mcdonald's is immune to radiation like it is to age? I believe they had prepared us from the beginning... :unsure:

vizardsig-1.png

If anyone has seen Supersize Me, which most of you probably have, they do something similar to this. I think it's in the extras or something. They put a hamburger and fries from 5 different places in jars and leave them for a month. Some of them rot pretty badly, and the McD's stays fine.

2s0cxth.png