Combat triangle discussion

iiLy

this may just be me, but i dont think there should be a combat triangle.

each class is ok vs each other. think void armour, same stats.

ok i would never want rs to be that boring, but the idea i like, this would remove melee owning mage just by equiping range armour (range and melee armour being just as efective more or less)

there should be some form of combat triangle in some ways, but the core idea of melee>range>mage>melee does not work very well. at least not in its curent form.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with zamorakninja. Having a clear cut rock-paper-scissors type of combat, although it would have certain pros, such as forcing people to be more balanced between the three, would get boring rather fast. I think that mages would ultimately lose out because in F2P they would not have room to carry another set or two of armor, runes, and food; it just wouldn't work. In P2P, with beasts of burden, it would be better, but in the even that you somehow lost your pack animal, you would be totally, completely, screwed.

If you disagree, please fight me. I will show you exactly how powerful magic is.

Gladly, but I'm F2P so all you have are blast spells. Sounds fun, doesn't it? Although, I have no doubt you could thoroghly own me with range or melee, but that wouldn't really be proving your point.

Sorry, I just kinda had to say that :P

mbtz.jpg

Do keep a level head my friend,

in times when Danger rears its head

Against excessive joy defend,

O, my comrade doomed to die.

Arigorn_380.png

ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

In f2p, melee is the obvious winner. Wearing full rune with 99 magic/def practically makes you an immortal.

Don't even get me started on the dps.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

It's unbalanced. For PvM Magic and Ranged are too expensive and too weak. For PvP, Magic is too powerful. A good mage in end game equipment completely trashes any ranger and meleer in sight... bombing your opponent with incredible accurate spells that hit 300/400 very common.

IMO if miasmics worked on monsters, mage would also own pvm (at least as part of a team).

I prefer melee for it's high dps. I suppose on ice strykewyrms I'd prefer magic for the same reason. I only range with a cannon.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

On the F2P front, melee is the only combat style that can "KO" your opponent - R2H, Corrupt weapons, Gravite 2H.

Range is very accurate and hits very fast, but opponents can eat out of a stream of 180s. The same can't be said with a corrupt scimitar, b-ax, or gravite 2h's 290+ hits.

The most effective setup with the lowest risk in F2P is range tank + rune 2h.

Magic leaves much to be desired. The blastbox now might allow for tricking your opponent to death, but if it ever catches on it'll be no contest.

Magic has the fastest training, except that's only because training doesn't involve combat spells.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Magic sucks. Expencive and does less damage than range and melee.

PvM: I agree.

PvP: Hell no.

I wish combat spells were one speed bar faster against monsters. We need a passive rune saving ability (much like the Mahjarrat do), spell effects to Wind, Water, Earth and Fire spells and bosses must have a lower magic defence.

Magic is my favourite skill, I love using it in Castle Wars and is by far the most fun out of them all.

I want to give Range more of a chance but at my relatively low level it's hard to feel like it's any good...

Melee just makes me sad, in a way. It's the style we're almost FORCED into if we want to do Slayer or most things combat related. :(

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

In dung magic is op

What ring setting and bind setup?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

In dung magic is op

Also curious. When I had a celestial staff bound, I'd try to make a couple hundred fire surge casts early on, and it really worked beautifully against anything remotely weak to magic, but I could never figure out what ring to use.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

In dung magic is op

Also curious. When I had a celestial staff bound, I'd try to make a couple hundred fire surge casts early on, and it really worked beautifully against anything remotely weak to magic, but I could never figure out what ring to use.

Blazer saves you runes, blitzer kills faster, that other one makes you able to safespot meleers without obsticals

I'd say it's between blazer and blitzer

Edit: A random thing to note about blazer, when it's doing the extra damage, those damage splats can be SS'ed off of, so it's also good to heal with while saving a few runes.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Wish there was a mechanic on the dung ring to switch roles without having to open the interface, like

"Customize", to switch between melee to range to magic to skiller

BUT

"Change", to switch between the choices in each role.

OT Magic is most fun, melee is most efficient, range is somewhere inbetween

I would say melee is rapier, CLS is range, maul is mage

In dung magic is op

Blazer saves you runes, blitzer kills faster, that other one makes you able to safespot meleers without obsticals

I'd say it's between blazer and blitzer

Edit: A random thing to note about blazer, when it's doing the extra damage, those damage splats can be SS'ed off of, so it's also good to heal with while saving a few runes.

Haha you're right!

101020155612.png

It looks pretty cool, haha, all those floating souls.

Melee, melee and melee. I rarely use the other two styles, hence the level difference between ranged/mage and melee skills. Few exceptions would be td's or seerculling mages at cw. :mellow: I have only used offesive magic when training it.

Sephy.png

no one can deny that range has its use.

no one can deny mage has its use.

no one can deny melee has its use.

but overall, and i mean vs everything. melee > all.

yes you can go to armadly and use range but not melee, yes you can fight draganoth mothers msotly with mage (4 elements vs 1 range and 1 melee). but that does not change that fact that without being a specal situation. melee owns allmost allwyas.

highest hits in the game are melee, highest dps is melee, it goes on.

yes, you can go on and on about things like

I can't count the times I "outkilled" the other people at Steel Dragons (Kuradal's Dungeon) with Claws of Guthix while they were using at least extreme potions.

but in the end, thats steel dragons, there are better monsters to kill. frost dragons. try mageing them!

(not to mention claws of guthix is probably much more exspensive then melee)

every class has its strength, every class has its weakness. every class has somewhere where it will rule allways.

but in the end melee has the most strength's, the least weakness's and the most area's where it will rule always.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Monster hunting.

Melee is best when maxed out, practically every high level slayer i know uses melee

Ranged is second best, i think its up there with melee if you just wan't to camp a monster.

Mage is the worst. Useful for a few select things, and horridly overpriced for general monster hunting.

PVP.

There is no combination of 150 attack and strength which matches the accuracy and power of 99 ranged without stupid things like risking chaotic.

Ranged is probably the best for edge.

Mage is the best for hybriding, used rarely in edge as everyone just runs.

Clan PVP.

Mage blows everything out of the water.

Ranged is a second.

Don't even bother with melee if you wan't to live.

----------------------------------------------

Personally, i think its well balanced.

but overall, and i mean vs everything. melee > all.

That depends on your point of view.

As a PKer, melee is my least desired skill.

O.O