What's Your Favourite Book?

tripsis

We all knew this thread was coming :P What's your favourite book(s) and/or series and why?

I think my favourite is The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. His Dark Materials is my favourite series but I think if I have to pick just one book out of the series, it would be The Amber Spyglass. This book has everything that I love: fantasy, adventure, animals and even a little romance. It deals with a lot of intense ideas and is a great book for thinking, reflecting and imagining the possibilities.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh too many to list.

Recently I've been reading more technical books but those are boring.

All time favs include LOTR series and HP (both which pretty much everyone probably knows).

Also the redwall series: http://www.redwall.org/. I loved those books as a young teen and still read them from time to time.

Rifles for Watie I really liked as well: http://www.amazon.com/Rifles-Watie-Harold-Keith/dp/006447030X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287534955&sr=8-1

This is a story about a 16 year old boy who finds himself fighting for the union in the civil war. It's well written but not super heavy and very entertaining.

The power of one: http://www.amazon.com/Power-One-Novel-Bryce-Courtenay/dp/034541005X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287534993&sr=8-1.

This one is about a young boy growing up in apartheid south africa, it's masterfully written and very deep. Definitely not "light" reading.

That's all I can think of for now...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Harry Potter and The Inheritance series

harry-potter-boxed-set.jpg

eragon.jpg

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

eragon.jpg

I second that!

Inheritance would be my favorite, harry potter second favorite, and Artemis fowl third favorite.

Woot! 5th post, I've got a feeling this is going to be a huge topic!

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

Harry Potter is definitely way up on my list as well :thumbsup: It probably comes right after His Dark Materials for me. I'm not sure which is my favourite in the series though.. definitely one of the later books. Probably 6.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

LOL!

I'd have to say.... The Darksword books? (Trilogy + sequal to trilogy.)

Death Gate series? Both of those are by the same authors o_O

Discworld is an extremely funny series.... I might say more but my comps acting up. Reboot.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

[hide]

eragon.jpg

I second that!

Inheritance would be my favorite, harry potter second favorite, and Artemis fowl third favorite.

Woot! 5th post, I've got a feeling this is going to be a huge topic!

[/hide]

Mine was in no particular order

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

Some of my top book series/novels (in somewhat order of preference):

1. Harry Potter

2. The Hunger Games (If you haven't read these I strongly recommend them; they're very fast paced and an exciting read.)

3. Artemis Fowl

4. Inheritance Trilogy +1 (Here's to having an epic 4th book)

5. LOTR

6. The Stand (extended & uncut edition by Stephen King :thumbup: )

7. Redwall

8. Firestarter (Another great Stephen King novel)

Gah I know I'm missing a ton of my favourites, as I've read so many books that have been amazing. Most of them are fantasy/sci-fi as they're my two favourite genres. I'll have to post a more extensive list when I have more time. :P

I'm just going to Copy+Paste an old blog from my MySpace. :P

[hide]10. Interview with the Vampire by ANNE RICE - This book is amazing! It was the first book that I ever read about vampires, and every single new vampire book I read I find myself comparing it to "Interview." The entire "Vampire Chronicles" series is amazing, and I only narrowed it down to this book, simply because it's the first in the series. Please read it if you haven't already, and DON'T come to it with images of Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in your head… gag. (But do read Queen of the Damned with images of the movie in your head, because it… is just a great movie to make fun of… they adapted the book so… ew. I can't type any more.)

9. The Blade Itself by JOE ABERCROMBIE - I first read this book for the first time quite recently (within the year) but it already found it's way onto my list! Once you read the book, you might find it odd to see me refer to it as "beautiful," but it really is one of the greatest fantasy books I've ever read (and that's ALL I read!) It contains everything that I think a great action book should: drama, amazing characters -- horribly cynical characters at that -- epic battles, magic, and a unique setting (among other things.) Besides, the characters drop the f-bomb like no other, and it makes me giggle just thinking about it. Oh, Nine-fingers..! (Please immediately read, and then go buy the sequel, "Before They Are Hanged." And you should probably just pre-order the third installment, "Last Argument of Kings." NOW.)

8. A Density of Souls by CHRISTOPHER RICE - It's no wonder why this book is so amazing: it's written by Anne Rice's son! Now, Chris Rice is NOT his mother, and their writing styles are on opposite ends of the spectrum. (So if you're not a fan of Anne Rice, don't come to this expecting it to be like her stuff.) This is the first of four books that he has written, and it's my favorite out of the four! This book is about murder and sex and relationships and glorious, glorious things, and it is so terribly dark (I think) that it affected what types of books I like to read! This was one of the first "real," non-fantasy books that I read.

7. The Thief Lord by CORNELIA FUNKE - This book makes me go "aww." But not really. Well, yes it does. It's an amazing tale of two boys who, upon a visit to Venice, decide to run away from their aunt and uncle (their parents died, and they're under their care.) In the twisting alleys of the city, they encounter a "gang" of other cast- and runaways hiding out in an abandoned movie theater. The group is led by a masked figure called the Thief Lord, a young boy whose ultimate dream is to become grown-up. That's the BASIC gist of the tale, without giving away the juicy twists. This book, while it was no doubt intended for people around age twelve (*sigh*) was an easy pick for my list! Please go read it. (…you'll find it in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles…)

6. First Test by TAMORA PIERCE - To clarify, this book is the first of the "Protector of the Small" quartet. The quartet as a whole is my second favorite by Tamora Pierce (see 4 for my favorite quartet.) Quick rundown to get the back story: it's recently been decreed that girls are now allowed to step up to the plate in trying to become knights of the realm. Pierce's most famous character, Alanna, was the first girl to achieve the rank of Knight. Since that day, no other girl has taken the challenge. Enter Keladry of Mindalen - Kel isn't like other girls: instead of sewing and housekeeping, she wants to become a fighting knight! Many trials follow Kel on her journey, and she easily became one of my favorite Tamora Pierce characters! Poor description of a book, I guess… but you should just read it…

5. Book of Shadows by CATE TIERNAN - YAY. That's the first thing I think of when I see this book on my shelf. The second is "Enya," but that's a long story in itself… This book is the first in Cate Tiernan's "Sweep" series. (I highly recommend reading the entire series - it's only 15 books long, at about $6.99 a pop. Not too bad.) This book follows the life of Morgan Rowlands, your average high school girl entering her senior year. Then Morgan meets a new student named Cal, and he changes her life forever! When you get down to it, "Sweep" is a series about a group of high school students who study Wicca, and they eventually form their own coven. All of the characters (it switches POV throughout the series) encounter their own hardships, and the relationships between all of them are ever-evolving, dissolving, and re-forming. This series is one of my top three favorite series that I own! (You should have seen me, years ago, trying to hunt down all fifteen books… I was in a blood-frenzy! Those damn elusive tomes!)

4. Sandry's Book by TAMORA PIERCE - This was the first book I ever read by Tamora Pierce (my favorite author.) It literally changed my life! This is the first book in her "Circle of Magic" series, and it focuses on four young kids -- Sandry, Briar, Trisana, and Daja -- who each find out that they can harness and use magic. While the title might imply otherwise, the book jumps around from character to character. It's such a great tale, that I can't really describe it too well! It keeps me on the edge of my seat (bed) every time I've read it, even though it is probably my second most-read book/series that I own. I highly, highly recommend reading ANYTHING by Tamora Pierce, and especially this book.

3. Jurassic Park by MICHAEL CRICHTON - I… I love this book. I read the book after watching the movie (one of top five favorite movies off all time, coincidently!) so unfortunately whenever I read it, I'm always visualizing Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum. But aside from that fact, it was the first book that I wrote down when creating this list! I have a sick obsession with this book, and whenever I can't choose a new book to read, my usual plan is to just re-read this one! I can't really count how many times I've read it, but I literally don't need to any more… I know what happens chapter by chapter, nearly scene by scene… If you like dinosaurs, you should read this. And if you don't like dinosaurs, you should read this so you CAN like dinosaurs. Because then you can go out and read "The Lost World" as well. Michael Crichton is one of my top-four favorite authors.

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. ROWLING - My favorite Harry Potter book! I could write endless amounts of paragraphs about this book, but I'll spare you the somewhat embarrassingly juicy details (I have a twisted obsession with Remus Lupin… -- Moony, where are you?! COME BACK!! *chases after his ghost.*)

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. ROWLING - While this book, in comparison to the other six, is smaller and less exciting (in a way) I still need to pay tribute to it. I bought this book in sixth grade, at the book fair at Wilson Elementary School. My life literally changed forever that day! I went from having a vivid imagination, to becoming a reader. As far as I can remember, this was the first book that I ever bought! It set me on the path to become a lover of fantasy fiction, and it inspired me to start writing my own fantasy fiction. Although there are a gazillion fans of the Harry Potter series, there are still many who don't like it at all. Well, I'm here to defend it, damn it, and to say that it's more than just a book. This book, no, this series, defines my child/teenhood, 1999-2007. When I look back at all of the friends I had during those times, especially my pen pals, our relationships were greatly fueled by Harry Potter. So, while it might not be my favorite Harry Potter book of the series, it earns its place as 1 by making me who I am today! (That's the power of the written word, people!)[/hide]

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

7. The Thief Lord by CORNELIA FUNKE - This book makes me go "aww." But not really. Well, yes it does. It's an amazing tale of two boys who, upon a visit to Venice, decide to run away from their aunt and uncle (their parents died, and they're under their care.) In the twisting alleys of the city, they encounter a "gang" of other cast- and runaways hiding out in an abandoned movie theater. The group is led by a masked figure called the Thief Lord, a young boy whose ultimate dream is to become grown-up. That's the BASIC gist of the tale, without giving away the juicy twists. This book, while it was no doubt intended for people around age twelve (*sigh*) was an easy pick for my list! Please go read it. (you'll find it in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles)

I have this book sitting on my shelf at home... at least I think it's still there. Unfortunately, although I've had it for YEARS, I've never gotten around to reading it. Maybe I should give it a go :)

3. Jurassic Park by MICHAEL CRICHTON - I I love this book. I read the book after watching the movie (one of top five favorite movies off all time, coincidently!) so unfortunately whenever I read it, I'm always visualizing Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum. But aside from that fact, it was the first book that I wrote down when creating this list! I have a sick obsession with this book, and whenever I can't choose a new book to read, my usual plan is to just re-read this one! I can't really count how many times I've read it, but I literally don't need to any more I know what happens chapter by chapter, nearly scene by scene If you like dinosaurs, you should read this. And if you don't like dinosaurs, you should read this so you CAN like dinosaurs. Because then you can go out and read "The Lost World" as well. Michael Crichton is one of my top-four favorite authors.

Zomg amazing book, right?? I randomly read it for an English assignment (we got to choose our own book to read) and I was pleasantly surprised. I mean I thought it would be good since I love the movie, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I like how you get a lot more of the science in the books and Chaos Theory plays a much bigger role.. or at least it's described in detail a lot more and its significance is a lot more emphasized.

Posted Image

Zomg amazing book, right?? I randomly read it for an English assignment (we got to choose our own book to read) and I was pleasantly surprised. I mean I thought it would be good since I love the movie, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I like how you get a lot more of the science in the books and Chaos Theory plays a much bigger role.. or at least it's described in detail a lot more and its significance is a lot more emphasized.

I reread Jurassic Park and The Lost World every four months or so... :-w

If you're a Crichton fan, you have to read Pirate Latitudes. (An assistant found the manuscript saved on his computer, and his publisher -- HarperCollins -- published it posthumously.)

Michael Crichton.

Pirates.

Enough said.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

My favorite authors are Tom Clancy, Brian Jacques, J. K. Rowling. Of those authors I probably like Rainbow Six, Redwall, and #3 the best. Can't compare the books though, its apples and oranges, and cauliflower.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire remains the greatest book series ever written and it's not even finished yet. Here's to hoping it will be.

I really love The Stand, probably my favorite standalone novel. I'm not too into the horror genre but Stephen King is a cool dude.

No love for classics? Faulkner. Enough said.

p2gq.jpg

George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire remains the greatest book series ever written and it's not even finished yet. Here's to hoping it will be.

I am still waiting for the next book. It's been delayed for ages! Did you hear they were making a series out of it? I'm apprehensive. It will be hard to convert such a dense, intricate, and 'controversial' storyline into a series effectively. Still, I adore the series. He's a very talented writer and the characters are amazing. The only thing that hurts is how easily he kills off main characters, though. After these books have gone on for so long, it hurts to see some of them go. I'm excited to see some of the plots unaddressed from A Feast For Crows be resolved in this next one.

I can't believe I haven't heard anyone mention The Wheel of Time series. Or The Dark Tower series. For shame, for shame.

Where are my fantasy/scifi lovers at?

hzvjpwS.gif

I would have mentioned the Dark Tower, but I haven't finished it yet. Only halfway through Wolves. And Wheel of Time would be great if it was about half as many books. Brandon Sanderson was really needed to give that series new life, IMO. The Gathering Storm was the first really good book in that series since Fires of Heaven, with a nod to Winter's Heart.

I'm really, really excited for the HBO series. HBO has put out some of the best television ever, so if anyone will do it justice, it'll be them. I just hope they don't pull the plug too soon, a la Carnivale. I don't know how much cable you've seen, but they won't shy away from some of the more shocking elements, although I think they had to age up characters like Dany and the youngest Starks a bit.

p2gq.jpg

Probably the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'trilogy', followed by Harry Potter, Protector of the Small/The Lioness/Trickster's Choice/Beka Cooper (ie everything by Tamora Pierce except Circle of Magic), anything by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games, Gregor the Overlander), LOTR, Artemis Fowl, possibly Pride and Prejudice, definitely Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Oh and The Thief Lord and Dragon Rider by Ms. Funke are awesome too.

I cannot stand the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Whatevers books. They are dumb.

Can these only be fiction? If so, I doubt that I could choose: certainly Tolkien, for quite a while I was a fan of Paolini (I found Brisingr extremely disappointing. Cory Doctorow's work ranks up there, though, along with Orwell, and Huxley's Brave New World, and Army of The Republic.

As for non-fiction, I have a few clear winners, although literally hundreds of runners-up. Letters to a young contrarian, Freakenomics, No Logo, The Case for Mars, God is not Great, Good Calories Bad Calories, and the writings of Michael Pollan.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Same, I am very mad at Paolini about Brisingr. When is the 'I had too much material for just a third book' fourth book due out anyway?

Imo, you should only be disappointed about Brisingr if you didn't like the book, not because it wasn't the end to the trilogy. You seem to imply otherwise.

Have to say, I'm a tad disapointed in this thread - half the responses seem to involve Harry Potter or the Inheritance trilogy - I was hoping to see a wider variety. Not to say that other books aren't mentioned but...idk *mumble mumble*

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Have to say, I'm a tad disapointed in this thread - half the responses seem to involve Harry Potter or the Inheritance trilogy - I was hoping to see a wider variety. Not to say that other books aren't mentioned but...idk *mumble mumble*

Well Harry Potter, at least, is pretty hard to beat :lol:

Posted Image

Sorry, I did really hate the content, specifically because he drew out the second half of the book, which I assumed was because he believed he had too much content to cram into one more book, whereas I believe it was the opposite, he didn't have enough content and wanted more money for more books.

My personal favorite of that trilogy is Eldest though. I feel he got everything right there.

LOTR>HP if only because of Legolas.

LOTR>HP if only because of Legolas.

Story/lore-wise, maybe. But I find HP easier and more enjoyable to read because I much prefer Rowling's style of writing.

Posted Image