Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's Your Favourite Book?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Harakiri
[ Display Name History ]

Harakiri

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Also, I have to give a shout-out to the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Fantastic books that no one seems to have read.

I have read them and used to own all of them. I very much enjoyed them, very good. And a prequel is coming out called The Ring Of Solomon:
http://www.amazon.co...87696261&sr=8-1
Very good series.

Since everybody appears to enjoy childrens novels, I guess I'll be an odd one out.

OVERALL
Dresden Files-I obsess over these books. They are everything I love wrapped into a complete series. And it's a very good series, after twelve books it has not gotten old, there has not been a bad book. I love these.

SCI-FI
Dune: Dune is amazing. I won't say the whole series does, because I think the Brian Herbert books pretty much raped his father's work. Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune were excellent novels that transcended anything I had ever read. It was harder, more complex than anything I had read. And then I read God Emperor of Dune and it was the previous three times 100. It wasn't bad particularly, but anyone who has read it knows what I'm talking about. You can't stop reading it, despite the fact every time you read one page you get a massive migraine. Heretics and Chapterhouse are excellent as well. God Emperor is the only tarnish in Frank Herbert's series, though that's debatable.

FANTASY
The Malazan Book Of The FallenI might have said the Drizzt books before I read The Malazan Book of The Fallen. I hate fantasy. Let me rephrase that, I hate epic fantasy. I hate LoTR, Thomas Covenant, Shanara. It's mostly my hate for having all the various races like giants and dwarfs with their cultures and everything that need to be meticulously detailed, which bores me; and also my complete hate of the storyline of some random guy becoming the greatest fighter/man ever who defeats the undefeatable evil. Thankfully, Malazan is a book focusing on a bunch of army guys in a special part of the military and follows their adventures. People die, people fight, everyone is well thought out. I never got bored with it, it is just very good and a very realistic world.

HORROR
The Shining: Stephen King books are all good in their own respects, and I know there are more horror authors than King, but I personally think Dean Koontz is wussy stuff. The Shining is genuinely scary for a variety of reasons. The movie does the book justice, but taking the book for itself, you are still genuinely afraid. The ending sticks with you, despite the fact it is the basic ending for every King novel. You ask what happened to the main character, did he do what he did because he was crazy, or because he was actually possessed by a ghost?

THRILLER/SPIES
The Faithful Spy: John Wells is my personal favorite spy at the moment in literature. This start of the series has us following him as a spy in the Taliban. He's been a spy for the past eight years, and he finally leaves when he's found out. He comes back to a wife who has a new boy toy, and finding that nobody really cares about him. He becomes a bit washed up, but new terror plots within America make him go after a terrorist with the bombs to destroy America's major cities. He destroys part of Los Angeles, and the book culminates in his final attack on New York. Subsequent books are all right, but the endings are complete let downs, the book just kind of ends with no huge fight at the end or something. The first has a great, drawn out ending. But the others just kind of taper off quickly. A good series though.

COMEDY
Beat The Reaper: This book follows a doctor with a dark past that is coming back to haunt him. He battles the mob and an old frienemy. One of my favorite parts is when he puts a syringe of fecal matter into one of the bad guys blood streams. The ending is hilarious, though it is not something I can really explain on this forum. Just go read this book and find out what I'm talking about.

There are some of my picks.
Posted Image

Dupin
[ Display Name History ]

Dupin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

HORROR
The Shining: Stephen King books are all good in their own respects, and I know there are more horror authors than King, but I personally think Dean Koontz is wussy stuff. The Shining is genuinely scary for a variety of reasons. The movie does the book justice, but taking the book for itself, you are still genuinely afraid. The ending sticks with you, despite the fact it is the basic ending for every King novel. You ask what happened to the main character, did he do what he did because he was crazy, or because he was actually possessed by a ghost?

:thumbup:

I honestly can't choose one book to call my favorite. Your mention of Dresden reminds me of Slaughterhouse Five, which I thought was brilliant, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. 1st To Die was probably my favorite thriller, The Shining my favorite horror, and all of the Sherlock Holmes stories my favorite mysteries, but if I have to pick one book as my overall favorite, it's my collection of Poe's works. It was the first thing I read when I got back into reading after that space between children's and adults' books, and his stories have stuck with me over the years. I actually haven't finished it yet :oops: It's massive, and I like to just read one story at a time before getting into a new novel.

Gandalf14141
[ Display Name History ]

Gandalf14141

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • RSN:Gandalf14141
  • RSN2:Eragon14141
I've read all of Nancy Farmer's books, I really like them. They're not hard to read, but out of all her books, I like "The House of the Scorpion" the best.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.

Signature

grammar2gr8dx.png

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

Posted Image

Twilight Saga TBH.. love it :)

Lol, surprised it took so long for someone to mention that o.O

And Ratchet573, have you read any of the Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher? Though from what you said about most fantasy, dunno if you'd like it o.O

Dune books are also very good, but quite complex.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Tacos
[ Display Name History ]

Tacos

Dark Lord of Taco Bell

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Taco Bell
  • RSN2:tacodude20
  • Clan:Tip it Events Team
Posted Image

Posted Image

Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus (even though Lost Hero just came out like a week ago).

I love Greek Mythology, and the mix with modern culture is AWESOME. If anyone liked Harry Potter, they definitely have to read these books.

Son of Neptune Fall 2011, ftw
Posted Image

Skeptical
[ Display Name History ]

Skeptical

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,906 posts
The Bartimaeus Trilogy was quite enjoyable.

He wrote another book, and it wasn't bad either, although not nearly as good as old Barty.
"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."
Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis

Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus (even though Lost Hero just came out like a week ago).

I love Greek Mythology, and the mix with modern culture is AWESOME. If anyone liked Harry Potter, they definitely have to read these books.

Son of Neptune Fall 2011, ftw

I love those books <3: I just finished The Lost Hero yesterday - LOVED it. It's going to be a long year, waiting for that second one to come out :P
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Harakiri
[ Display Name History ]

Harakiri

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,883 posts

And Ratchet573, have you read any of the Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher? Though from what you said about most fantasy, dunno if you'd like it o.O

I attempted to read through the first one, but what you say is right, I didn't like it. It wasn't bad, it just bored me. I much prefer The Dresden Files. I want to reread them all so bad at the moment because I went to Chicago about a week ago and annoyed the hell out of my dad by pointing out every place where Dresden has fought someone, or stuff like that. We went to the Field Museum and I pointed out the end of Dead Beat. We were at Union Station and I pointed out the fight between Dresden and the big billy goat gruff in Small Favor.
As you can tell, I'm a big fan :grin:
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I attempted to read through the first one, but what you say is right, I didn't like it. It wasn't bad, it just bored me. I much prefer The Dresden Files. I want to reread them all so bad at the moment because I went to Chicago about a week ago and annoyed the hell out of my dad by pointing out every place where Dresden has fought someone, or stuff like that. We went to the Field Museum and I pointed out the end of Dead Beat. We were at Union Station and I pointed out the fight between Dresden and the big billy goat gruff in Small Favor.

Hah, nice. I want to try reading The Dresden Files someday, but as I mentioned earlier, I usually prefer MY fantasy in a fantasy world.... to each their own :)

And that sounds like it must've been a fun weekend for you =D

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Harakiri
[ Display Name History ]

Harakiri

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,883 posts

Hah, nice. I want to try reading The Dresden Files someday, but as I mentioned earlier, I usually prefer MY fantasy in a fantasy world.... to each their own :)

And that sounds like it must've been a fun weekend for you =D

You should try them. It's hard to describe the genre as just fantasy though because it has a lot of horror elements in it too. I just think the pace is great, I need lots of action and in between needs to be exciting. And Dresden is written in first person and I can safely say that Dresden is good company. It's the only book series that made me cry. You grow very attached to Dresden, he becomes a real person very soon into the series and it feels like you are walking beside him.

It was an all right weekend. I hate big cities and crowds. So Chicago is on my "never going back" list. I much prefer smaller cities or towns. Chicago is too crowded, has a lot of creepy people all over. Not my kind of place.
Posted Image

Shelby_Polo
[ Display Name History ]

Shelby_Polo

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 1,856 posts
  • RSN:Shelby Polo
I feel silly saying I don't actually read that much, I wish I did.

But my all time favorite book series has to be Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia comes in at second. I'm also a sucker for Roald Dahl and C.S. Lewis quotes.

Has anyone read Life of Pi? Great book.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

Gandorf61
[ Display Name History ]

Gandorf61

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,669 posts
  • RSN:Gandorf61
I read Life of Pi, but for some reason I just couldn't really get into it. I read the whole book to see how the plot turned out though; the story was good just not my type of novel.

Gugge
[ Display Name History ]

Gugge

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,863 posts
  • RSN:Gugge
I am suprised that noone mentioned Anne McCaffrey, she is one of my favourite authors. She is most known for her books about the Dragons of Pern, but she has written much more than that. If I am to pick a favourite book, erm well perhaps "Moreta, dragonlady of Pern" or perhaps "Damia". Well, there is a lot to choose from.

When it comes to crime novels, I suggest you check Roslund&Hellström out. It's 2 swedish writers but the novels are translated to english. I believe "3 seconds" is the one I like best, but all 5 novels they have written so far are great.
Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Snowpelt
[ Display Name History ]

Snowpelt

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Jay-feathers
Into the Shadow is one of my favorite books, I have other favorites but listing them all would take forever so I wont.
Posted Image

grundledib
[ Display Name History ]

grundledib

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • RSN:blabbleton
My list of favourite books/ series is a little odd.

As a kid, my favourites were always Philip Pullman's books (pretty sure I owned every book he had written at one point, haven't bought or read any of his books in 2 or 3 years)
Nowadays, I still love the Bartimaeus Trilogy and the Inheritance series (even if it is basically Star Wars with dragons)
If you ask me now though, my favourite series is, by far, the Hyperion Cantos of Dan Simmons. A film is apparently being made of the first two books, but I really can't imagine it'll be any good. Be warned that the books are a lot better than the film ever could be, so don't you dare judge the books on the back of the film.
I'm a big fan of Arthur C Clarke as well, specifically the Rama series; David Fincher's been talking about making a film of Rendezvous With Rama for years. I can't imagine it'll ever happen, but that one would work a lot better than a Hyperion film ever could.

In terms of fantasy, I'm more into Mervyn Peake's books than Tolkien's. As far as I'm concerned, he invented modern fantasy a good 10 years before The Hobbit and LOTR were published. Look up the Gormenghast series.
I also love Terry Pratchett's Discworld books (and have endless respect for him as a person). I don't care if they aren't what you'd call 'literary genius', they're hilarious and satirical in a gentle way that only Pratchett can manage. Plus there are now 40 of them, I think. Not going to run out of Discworld books any time soon.

Ryannator
[ Display Name History ]

Ryannator

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • RSN:Ryanator
the sword of shannara by terry brooks

phyuickyiu
[ Display Name History ]

phyuickyiu

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
A Prayer for Owen Meany
So good and so sad :(

blaah
[ Display Name History ]

blaah

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Fluffyzoe64
We read Owen Meany in AP Lit last year after the AP test since it's one of my teacher's favorite books. That was one book I actually read cover to cover after getting lazy in that class. Such interesting discussions on whether we liked Owen.

I mostly remember the voice I had in my head for when I read his all-caps dialogue. Makes my throat hurt thinking about it.
/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.
Posted Image
Insert rant here

[img ] CAT [/ img]

meb
[ Display Name History ]

meb

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,930 posts
  • RSN:Red ftk bolt
  • Clan:The Slayers Guild

FANTASY
The Malazan Book Of The FallenI might have said the Drizzt books before I read The Malazan Book of The Fallen. I hate fantasy. Let me rephrase that, I hate epic fantasy. I hate LoTR, Thomas Covenant, Shanara. It's mostly my hate for having all the various races like giants and dwarfs with their cultures and everything that need to be meticulously detailed, which bores me; and also my complete hate of the storyline of some random guy becoming the greatest fighter/man ever who defeats the undefeatable evil. Thankfully, Malazan is a book focusing on a bunch of army guys in a special part of the military and follows their adventures. People die, people fight, everyone is well thought out. I never got bored with it, it is just very good and a very realistic world.

I read the first 2 or 3 books and they just couldn't get me interested. I love the dark atmosphere it has but the story and the characters just don't do it for me. Although I am a fan of epic fantasy though :mrgreen: .

My personal favourite are the Hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons. I don't read much Science Fiction but these 4 books are still the best I have ever read. I just love the future he created.
Retired
2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

TrueBeaver
[ Display Name History ]

TrueBeaver

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:TrueBeaver
  • Clan:Red Blade Hunters
I seem to have a significantly different taste than most people in this thread, in that I prefer nonfiction and don't really care for fantasy, science fiction, or classics. There's no way I can choose just one, but some of my favorite books are:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - prefer it to 1984 and I feel it's more relevant.
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer - made the mistake of reading this during the school year; I slept through several classes because I was up all night reading it. Riveting book. For those of you who don't know, Krakauer was a hiker-turned-writer who was summiting Everest for an article in an outdoors magazine and [cabbage] hit the fan. Great read.
[wagon] Finish First by Tucker Max - absolutely hilarious. I read all 400+ pages in under 24 hours, which is unusual for me. It's about drunken debauchery.
Decision Points by George W. Bush - although I don't agree with everything he did as president it was really interesting to read how he defends his positions.
Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski - interesting book for anyone who likes soccer. It's written by two economists, one British and one French, who analyze the sport from an economic point of view to try to explain why certain teams win, why certain teams lose, why countries want to host World Cups, which nation has the biggest soccer fans, etc.
The Big Scrum by John J. Miller - It's about how Teddy Roosevelt saved football from being banned in its early days, but so much more. It gives a brief biography of the major players: chiefly Roosevelt and Walter Camp, but there are others, and a history of the game; why became so violent that dozens of young men were dying on the fields every year and thousands more were willing to take that risk. Good book but I put it a bit below the books above.
"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell
"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

Posted Image

#1 Warring 90+ Clan. Awesome Community. Click to join.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users