Most Memory Efficient Browser?

Donkeykong23

What is the most memory efficient web browser? Currently I'm running Firefox version 3.6.11 and it hangs a lot, and some website just load slow when they shouldn't. Firefox is often using almost 300K memory, which seems like a lot to me. Maybe it's normal but I don't know.

Would Chrome be better so save memory and run smoother? Or which browser would be best?

Chrome is very lightweight. Personally I think it's chrome, but some would argue firefox is better due to the fact that chrome creates individual processes per tab. Firefox has known memory hogging issues though, so I'd go with Chrome. I've certainly never had any problems with it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Weird, I'm using 150k with 5 tabs on Firefox and it has been open all day. I even have a second window open.

I think you go with what you like.

Firefox seems to get more and more crash-prone every week. Maybe it's the plug-ins or the add-ons I use...

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Firefox seems to get more and more crash-prone every week. Maybe it's the plug-ins or the add-ons I use...

Firefox hasn't crashed for me at all in the last six months :unsure: It used to crash quite often before plugins were put in a separate process though.

As far as I know the really light browsers (such as surf) are only available for Linux; if you want something light on Windows, then I guess Chrome is your best choice.

Chrome for the most part, FF if you regularly close out the brower, since the longer FF runs the more it hogs memory.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Opera is very good as well, but not as fast as Firefox or Chrome.

Chrome for the most part, FF if you regularly close out the brower, since the longer FF runs the more it hogs memory.

Firefox has been opened for 2 days, and I have 5 tabs, 2 of those being on a youtube video.

fabgxw.png

Doesn't take that much resources compared to what you say it would take.

Firefox has been opened for 2 days, and I have 5 tabs, 2 of those being on a youtube video.

fabgxw.png

Opera is a lot faster than Firefox 3.6.

I stick with Firefox because I've found NoScript and Greasemonkey extremely useful.

But anyway, I'm in the same boat as Sbrideau. I generally have lots of tabs and/or windows open at once and I've never noticed it use more than 200K of memory, normally it's around about 140K. If you get loads of addons though it wouldn't surprise me if it started to eat up more memory. Unless you really need to free up some memory just to use your computer (in which case you should probably get some more RAM anyway because it's inexpensive), there isn't much point in the hassle of switching browsers.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

fabgxw.png

Opera is a lot faster than Firefox 3.6.

I don't use the turbo on Opera and I wouldn't use Opera just for the turbo (btw I do have Opera installed).

Those aren't working.

Oh, are you looking to get to the bookmarks manager? One of the things with Chrome's simple interface is that a lot of configuration menus and stuff are in tabs, and I'm pretty sure there's no other way to get to it than that.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Those aren't working.

Oh, are you looking to get to the bookmarks manager? One of the things with Chrome's simple interface is that a lot of configuration menus and stuff are in tabs, and I'm pretty sure there's no other way to get to it than that.

So I can't change to a bookmark from my current page? I have to close my current page and then open a new tab?