Compass  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Right/Left

• Right
    • Left
  2. 2. Auth/Lib

• Authoritarian
    • Libertarian

It has resulted in the deaths of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people, wasted hundreds of billions of dollars, and (perhaps irreversibly) changed the world's opinion of the invading countries for the worst.

And it was illegal! Waged for war and political power.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has resulted in the deaths of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people, wasted hundreds of billions of dollars, and (perhaps irreversibly) changed the world's opinion of the invading countries for the worst.

And it was illegal! Waged for war and political power.

Well, I really don't care what other countries think about the United States. They all stereotype us as fat/lazy/stupid and are generally ungrateful for the contributions the US has made to the world, so I have no reason to take their opinion of us seriously in the first place. On the note of invading countries, I can agree. We don't need to serve as police of the world, ironically forcing democracy on people.

Yes, it was illegal (no UN approval and blatantly lying about the reason too), but I'm not so sure it was waged for the sake of war. Politics, absolutely, but simply for the sake of war seems a little... nonsensical...

Basically, I agree with you.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Then why are you a Republican?

A partial objection to abortion, a reluctance to spend on social programs, and a distaste for California are the only conservative traits that really seem to stand out.

And you do know that the liberal pundits on the news are just as bad as the Conservative ones, so please don't make a decision concerning the left from what those centrists say.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Then why are you a Republican?

A partial objection to abortion, a reluctance to spend on social programs, and a distaste for California are the only conservative traits that really seem to stand out.

And you do know that the liberal pundits on the news are just as bad as the Conservative ones, so please don't make a decision concerning the left from what those centrists say.

I don't recall saying I was a Republican. I don't like looking at issues as whether or not it's Republican/Democrat, but rather what I believe. Obviously, I cannot vote yet. In two years, come election time, I will be able to vote. If the Republics offer a figure like Sarah Palin, I can assure you my vote for Obama. If the Republicans can offer someone like Tim Pawlenty, on the other hand, he will get my vote.

I'm well aware that political pundits on both sides are equally bad (I mentioned Keith Olberman, no?), but it's especially strong from the Republican side. I don't like hearing opinionated crap from CNN, MSNBC, CBS, or Fox News, regardless. I wouldn't consider myself a centrist per se, but more of a moderate conservative. I don't like the extreme of either side, as I've said before. You have the Dawkins-reading, Atheist blowhards on one side (not to offend this whole forum :lol: ), and the Bible-thumping creationists on the other. Two years ago, I would have been the latter, but that's when I only believed whatever my parents said about politics.

Again, though, I hate the idea of political parties in general, but that's how the nation developed after Washington, unfortunately.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Bottom left. I've taken that [bleep]ing quiz so many times it's not worth it anymore.

same except i was dead center. i think I had like -.5 on the y axis though

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

fogodw.png

Economic Left/Right: 8.38

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.87

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Economic Left/Right: 8.38

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.87

You nazi. :twss:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Right/Lib, fourth person to post in this topic of that view. There are more of us than it seems.

Economic Left/Right: 2.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28

Economic Left/Right: -0.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

[hide]politicalcompass.png[/hide]

I've seen this test a few times, and really like how it distinguishes between economic and social views. I'm not always sure of my answers for economic questions, which is why my views are shakily centrist on the economic scale. It can also be hard at times when there are no clear lines between "strongly (dis)agree" and "(dis)agree".

Right/Libertarians are pretty hard to find.

Ever heard of the "Libertarian" party in the USA? It's basically Republican economically (no taxes@@) and Libertarian (Anarchist) socially. Unfortunately, the Party itself is a complete disaster, full of contradicting viewpoints and people, mostly because its figureheads didn't agree on much more than the fact that they didn't want the government interfering with their beloved monopolies.

E: What a surprise - this forum is mostly liberal/libertarian.

I have no idea how people can arrive at the conclusion of: "we need corporate interests to run our lives instead of the government."

I have no idea how people can arrive at the conclusion of: "we need corporate interests to run our lives instead of the government."

A government has interests in itself, too.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The idea is that corporations are more efficient at meeting market demands than governments, as they're more sensitive to the market in a competitive environment. As the market reflects consumer demand for goods and services, given a free market (that is highly competitive, with symmetrical information distribution) firms are more able to meet (supply) individual's wants and need, so people are satisfied.

I got -1 on the economic and about -6 Libertarian. Honestly, I don't know enough of about economics to voice a reasonable opinion about it.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

'Cept in a free market (no monopolies), its difficult to have corporate interests run your life. Its easy to boycott a corporation, its difficult to boycott the government.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Chances are that you will find that you don't rest squarely in one camp; very few people (myself included) do.

Here's where to start: My linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_system

Start reading, consider different systems, then go to the library with a list of books concerning systems you find interesting. Read something from every camp, no matter how misguided it seems, and check all sources.

I highly recommend Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine, which is a criticism of Shock & Awe capitalism campaigns run by Freidmanites worldwide, and The Corporation which concerns the inherent failings of corporations and the market systems that they support. (As you can see, I'm offering some pretty leftist stuff, but I strongly advice at least considering it.)

E: Perhaps there's room in this forum for a thread where everyone can just duke it out over economics and politics. That could help everyone (myself particularly) stay more on-topic.

Economic Left/Right: 7.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08

Most of the economic questions were highly misleading and prejudicial. The constant "evil corporation" line is one of the most totally nonsensical things I have ever heard.