Thought-provoking films

Zierro

My friends and I are bored and need your help. We generally hate television, but there are a handful of movies that we actually came to enjoy.

-Requiem for a Dream

-Pulp Fiction

-Reservoir Dogs

-Fight Club

-No Country for Old Men

-A Clockwork Orange

-Donnie Darko

-Cool Hand Luke

-Full Metal Jacket

-American History X

-Little Miss Sunshine (don't ask...)

So, any related movies come to mind?

(Also, this thread doesn't just have to be about recommendations. Philosophy in movies can be discussed in general if you would like. I might add some stuff on Pulp Fiction later. :smile: )

Love watching Donnie Darko, can watch that many times over and it'll still be interesting and entertaining to me :)

Your list is good, a lot of the movies that popped up in my mind when seeing the thread title are in it.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

The Matrix

Inception

Fight Club

A Beautiful Mind

Lucky Number SLeven

Room 1408

The number 23

I'll think of more, give me a few hours

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I could list a whole boatload of great movies that make you think, but if I had to pick one it would easily be Do the Right Thing. It is the one movie I believe everyone should see.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I saw Little Miss Sunshine recently and thought the characters of the uncle and the son were sort of interesting, especially their interactions towards the end.

I actually don't see a lot of thought-provoking movies, as I think books are much better. I did like The Butterfly Effect though, but I haven't read the book version yet so I don't know how it compares.

Gran Torino - A war veteran is disturbed when a boy next door, Thao, attempts to steal his prized car, the Gran Torino. Later he discovers Thao was put up to the task as a 'test'. Thao then finds himself having to do chores for the not-so-tolerant Walt Kowalski (played by Clint Eastwood). He is drawn into Thao's family and the gang-like problem they're having, when bullets go flying and things get serious. Many life lessons in this movie, and has a great ending. A classic movie.

The Shawshank Redemption - Andy (played by Tim Robbins) is wrongly accused of a murder and sent to prison for 2 life sentences back to back. Powerful story. A must have classic for the DVD cupboard.

Last Holiday - Georgia (played by Queen Latifah) is diagnosed with a terminal illness and is told she only has a few weeks left to live. She decides to sell up and do all the things she's ever dreamed of. This movie inspired me to get my own 'book of possibilities'. One of my all time favourite movies. If you're into movies with motto's/life lessons, you won't want to miss this one!

Sliding doors - When Helen (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) attempts to catch a train, but her life is split into two very different stories. By missing the train, her life changes drastically. This movie questions our own lives and whether it may have been played out differently if we missed something or chose a different path.

Double Jeopardy - Elizabeth (played by Ashley Judd) had a normal life, until one day she finds her husband missing on a boat, along with blood trails. She is accused of the murder of her husband, and is sent to prison. When she phones up her daughter, she hears her scream "daddy!". What happens? You'll have to find out for yourself :)

The Matrix - Neo (played by Keanu Reeves) is told he is living in a dream world, and what he thinks is real, is actually an imaginary world setup to blind people of what's really going on. He discovers these 'machines' have been using fields of human beings as a neverending energy source to take over the world. Neo rebels against the machines. A must have DVD. Followed by The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.

The movies below probably aren't very thought provoking in terms of real life, they're just epic:

Harry Potter - enough said :D must have DVD

Shooter - a really good shooter is setup by some highly regarded figures, and seeks justice in proving he's not the one that attempted to assassinate the president. Overall a great movie, although probably not a movie you would bother watching over and over. Rent this one ;)

Avatar - must have DVD. Nuff said.

There's probably more movies but can't think of them right now.

2vuhgcn.png

Hopefully you guys are only talking about the first Matrix movie. If not then :-#

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I like how it's we hate television but these are some movies we like, as if the television part really matter at all. I find the compulsion to share excessive facts like that interesting as their pointless.. However any movie can make you think, it really depends on how much you want to look into a film.

tFtfA.jpg

I like how it's we hate television but these are some movies we like, as if the television part really matter at all. I find the compulsion to share excessive facts like that interesting as their pointless..

My standards are pretty high. I'm not a yes-man to just any suggestion I hear, so this is imploring posters to recommend me only films they believe to be of high quality, rather than something they deem as merely a so-so film. An average television appreciator's definition of a so-so film is probably my definition of crap, so I thought it was necessary to bring up since I'm not going to go watch "Dude Where's My Car?" to stimulate my mind.

Yeah, I mean the other two are, ok, but don't really add anything of value to the first one.

Haha, this made me realize that none of the movies in my list have sequels, and for good reasons.

I like how it's we hate television but these are some movies we like, as if the television part really matter at all. I find the compulsion to share excessive facts like that interesting as their pointless.. However any movie can make you think, it really depends on how much you want to look into a film.

True. It really depends on the person. Like for me, last holiday, double jeopardy, sliding doors and the shawshank redemption will always be my most favourable films of all time, but some (understandably) would think they're too mushy or unworthy of being a 'classic' as such, and I would agree with that. It really depends on what you like. Not to mention I studied the shawshank redemption for english, so I learned about the cinematography, use of symbolism etc. which made it 10x more special <3:

I suppose I like those movies because after watching them it really gets me thinking, and some even making me act upon those powerful memories after the film. Prime example buying a 'book of possibilities' from watching last holiday. So for movies that make me think about the film afterwards and act upon them, is probably why I love them so much. Because they effected me IRL.

I probably judge a film by this criteria:

Is it a slow movie? (as in does it drag on and not go anywhere?)

Quality of the plot (does everything make sense? Is it a good story? Is it different?)

Are there any life lessons in this film? (this is a major for me, I love films which effect me IRL)

Cinematography/Music (does the music match the film? Are the appropriate camera angles used for each scenario?)

The shawshank redemption got 10/10 in my books for cinematography and choice of music, relating to each scene. I wish the same could have been said for a part of the prince of persia movie, where it looked like a copy+paste camera cutscene from the game version.

Each to everyone's own taste ^_^

2vuhgcn.png