What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Finished reading House of Leaves. What in the actual [bleep]ing christ did I just read?

It's kinda like what you'd get if you took The Blair Witch Project, made it into a book instead, had it written by HP Lovecraft at the top of his writing career, edited by Stephen King at his most cerebral, and typeset by some avant-garde writers who are insane. Calling it a book about a film about a book about a book about a house that is larger on the inside and may or may not be a maze would be kinda accurate.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

• 4 weeks later...

Family first by Dr Phil... a lot of things I already know but it's worth reading because he has some great strategies and a few things worth learning about

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Reading (just read) Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet. It is the most meaningless book I've read in a while - any book that offers dietary advice along the lines of 'consume the apple with your soul' is complete nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'm thinking about picking up The Great Gatsby, since I won't be reading it in english class this year or next year.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I read that book in high school. I forgot most of it, though. I actually enjoy reading fiction for school. It's better than reading non-fiction, in my opinion. Much more interesting.

Currently analyzing/reading A Doll House in English. Bleh.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Im getting ready to read "A Child Called "It" ' by Dave Pelzer. I'm reading it for my education 210 class at my university. From what I've heard from others, the books is very distrubing in the accounts of the child abuse. I'm hoping it will be a good read.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Harlen Cobens - One False Move, It is quite good at the moment however not to gripping, but maybe its because i only read 10 or so pages when i go to bed.

Its like my 5th by him, I like the way he rights Crime - Humourus yet gruesme and twisty aswell.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

The Bourne Identity. Such a good book. :D

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Second Gaunt's Ghost omnibus, The Founding. I'd suggest the Gaunt's Ghosts series to anybody who enjoys sci-fi and wants to get into the world of 40K (maybe even if you don't want to get into it), really. It doesn't need any previous knowledge of the Warhammer series, Dan Abnett is one of the few good writers of Warhammer stuff, and it really is a good series.

Beware though, they don't call him the 'kind of sci-fi GRRM but without the creepiness' for nothing. Really only I call him that but I am sure it will catch on.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I read God's Debris and then the sequel to it, 'The Religion War', in 3 days or so. Both are short books at about 190 pages each but i found them very good. Especially God's Debris - i liked it the most. It's free to download in pdf format (not pirated) from a google search. I don't know if others have read it and what they're background is but i found it very thought provocative :)

Final1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading Micro by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston.

146592123.JPG

For those of you who may not know, Michael Crichton (author of Jurassic Park, Congo, creator of the television series ER, etc.) passed away in late 2008. A completed manuscript (Pirate Latitudes) was found saved on his computer by his assistant, and was published in late 2009. He also had the majority of another manuscript written, what would turn out to be Micro. His publishing company looked for another author to finish completing the novel, and they chose Richard Preston. (Never read any of his work, until now!) It was published a few days ago on November 22, 2011.

I had read a bit about the book before it was released... but honestly it took me completely by surprise. It wasn't what I was expecting, at all. I still enjoyed it, but as was the case with Pirate Latitudes, it didn't quite completely feel like a Michael Crichton book. Obviously the fact that so much of the novel is rooted in actual science rang true of Crichton, but there were parts that just seemed slightly... detached. Were these the parts that Richard Preston worked on? I don't know really.

[hide=Spoiler!]It's about this group of science students (one is studying spiders, another beetles, one is studying botany, etc. etc.) who get recruited to travel to Hawaii for a few weeks to work for this up-and-coming company. To make short of it (no pun), they end up being shrunk in size so they stand about half an inch tall.

They then proceed to fight beetles, ants, wasps, birds, etc. in order to survive while trying to return to their normal size.[/hide]

Anyway, I read it in one sitting. Loved it, even though half of the time I was just like O_o I would highly recommend it to any Crichton fan! Just... is a little different from his other novels in that it seems slightly far-fetched/humorous.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Finished Reading Arthur & George by Julian Barnes a couple of days ago.

AkJ0I.jpg

Even though the story is quite interesting at some points, it felt like it messed up its own rythm of narration, moving from interesting scenes to over-detailed and less interesting ones all of the time. And I found the ending to be very dissapointing. It didn't even feel like it matched the rest of the narration at all, and after 500 pages, it didn't bring any kind of closure at all. I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'm gonna start reading the thread to see if something interests me right now. It had been a long while since I had read a book, and it feels quite good.

16185_s.gif

Finished reading 1984, by Orwell, about 2 days ago. I remembered seeing a documentary about it a few years ago, so i had a vague idea of the plot, but i must say the book did impress me. Currently reading Animal Farm. Oh and, i think i found a new way of looking for books to read: On a site about typing speed, they give you a quote of something (usually a book), and if the quote interests me i look into the book it comes from, and voila, hopefully there's a good book :D

Final1.jpg

Bought Dante's Divine Comedy from Borders when they closing.

Just finished Inferno, mvoing on to Purgatorio (which I heard was the best of the three.)

There we go, that's a book I started reading and never finished. Thanks for reminding me of it.

16185_s.gif