What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Recently finished The Spectre of Alexander Wolf, by Gaito Gazdanov, am reading The Carter of La Providence, by Simenon. Will probably read either some Sherlock Holmes or Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy next.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (or its sequels) before? I take it you have, but reading again would probably be enjoyable too.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

• 2 months later...

Have just started a book called Oliver VII by a Hungarian chap called Antal Szerb. The blurb leads me to believe it's about a king who deposes himself to go on holiday and ends up joining some ruffians and impersonating himself. Fun times. 

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Got a Kobo glo HD for Christmas, need some book suggestions. Right now I'm reading More Guns, Less Crime by John Lott.

Depends what sort of stuff you want to read. I have about 200 epubs from various fantasy fiction (trilogies e.t.c) I don't mind zipping up.

Currently I have been reading the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, my opinions are as such: "It's alright, bits are good but nonetheless predictable."

Luck be a Lady

Currently I have been reading the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, my opinions are as such: "It's alright, bits are good but nonetheless predictable."

Bummer to hear you're not enjoying it, that series sucked me in. Went from not being able to hold an interest in any fantasy books past the first chapter for about 3 years to finishing both of the books in 2 weeks. To each their own though.

I am enjoying it - but I have issues with "all-singing-all-doing" protagonists which said protagonist is. Granted you cannot have heroic fantasy without a hero. The story has a decent pull and I am interested in seeing it to completion.

I just feel that this book (storywise) is a carbon copy of A Wizard of Earthsea albeit longer. 

Luck be a Lady

Currently reading The Black Hole Wars by Leonard Susskind. It talks about his battle with Stephen Hawking to make the world safe for quantum mechanics. Hawking theorized that black holes destroy everything that falls into one. Leaving no trace of whatever fell in. This violated a basic law of the universe stating that information cannot be created nor destroyed called the conservation of information (sort of like the conservation of mass. Such a good read for a science nerd like me :)

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Finished reading "Deathfire". Lates book in the Horus heresy series of warhammer. Another massive cliff hanger!!! They had it set up perfectly to explain what happened to vulcan only for him to rise from the ashes again. So again have to wait for the next book to find out just what the hell happened to him! The book was great though. Its told from the perspective of the salamanders and it basically explains how the loyalist legions are changing from the atheist society the emperor created to reverting back to cultural beliefs and believing that the primarchs and the emperor are demigods. Should be interesting if in the next book the emperor and vulcan meet up and how the former views the changes made in the salamanders.

Also started reading the Realm Gate Wars. Newest series from the warhammer universe. The books are decent but they could have spent more effort on the first one. There's almost no explanation for what happens in between The End Times series and the Realm Gate Wars. The series starts with Sigmar leading an army of super humans to reclaim the 8 realms from chaos but doesn't explain how they created the 8 realms after the old world was destroyed or how the gods of chaos found them after the other gods tricked them into thinking the world destroyed. First three books so far have rather limited cast of characters. Just humans, chaos followers, skaven and dryads so far. But be interesting to see in later books how the elves, dwarves and other races have changed. One thing i hate is that the skaven have been merged with the army's of chaos instead of being there own distinct race fighting for or against chaos depending on their own whims.

Don't get me started on the strange new rules for the new table top game though.... definitely not going to play that but will keep following the books.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

• 4 weeks later...
Bought A Song of Ice and Fire. I should have waited a few years and got them all together when they're all out, but $50 for all of them so far was just too good a deal to pass up. So I'm reading A Game of Thrones. Not too far in yet, though.

Attempt #1 (To read all of ASoIaF), failed.

Attempt #2 (Before the latest season started), partial success.

Attempt #3, done.

Finally finished A Song of Ice and Fire, after all this time. It gets really good, and really bad, but on the whole, super solid. I much prefer it to the show now. I just can't believe a lot of the changes they've made to the show, most of all in Meereen, like, dude, Belwas, Barristan, Hizdahr, c'moooooon.

Now I've moved onto Tripwire, by Lee Child. A book my mum suggested I read. I've read another of his and loved it, so I'm digging this. I need to find time to hit up the local book shop and buy a crapton of books. With some recent lifestyle changes, I've found a ton more time to read, and I'm loving it. I've probably read about 300 pages of ASoIaF and 60 of Tripwire over the past three days, more reading than I've done in a loooong while.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

• 3 weeks later...

Finally bought Dune and finished with the first book within a day. Gonna read second part tomorrow.

It really is that good.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 1 month later...

Dune was good.

Bought me Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a shame I haven't read it yet, but now I hope I will have the time to indulge in it in a few days time.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I couldn't pick up Hitchhiker's Guide on my last trip to the book shop (or shed, our one's in a shed in my town). Real shame really, I enjoyed it immensely in year 8 (When I was 13, whoa dude, I'm nearly 22 now), so I can only imagine I'll love it even more when I re-read it. Plus, I never read the other four books in the trilogy so that'd be great.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I got the one where all 5 novels are in the same book. Yet to start it, but can't wait to dig in tomorrow.

I don't want to read a book when I have just half an hour or an hour. I want to read a lot at once, lose myself in the experience, otherwise I miss half the pleasure.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

• 3 weeks later...

Finished fireheart and calamity. Books 2 and 3 in Brandon Sandersons the Reckoners series. They were a major let down tbh.

In the first book, Steelheart, people around the world start getting super powers from an asteroid that was pulled into earths orbit. Then the world goes to hell. The reckoners are small groups of regular humans who go around hunting what they call epics instead of superheroes/villains, trying to find their "kryptonites" and restore civilization ect. It was perfect, underdog fighting the hopless battle against insane odds. Then he went dues ex machina and ruined it.

He makes the asteroid a fragment of god or some other divine source that was supposed to leave instead of sticking around. And by staying in orbit he was driving the epics insane. Protagonist goes to space to convince it to leave and gets super powers of his own for the trouble.

I usually love sandersons books since they always revolve around the nature of good and evil and how its not always black and white. But this is his first series he pulled this and ruined a good world he built.

michel555555.png

Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Bought 1Q84 and Brave New World. Both books probably don't need much further introduction.

Also, through 3 of the 5 books of the Hitchhiker saga. Pretty good, although not as good as it had been hyped up to. From radio as a show it would be much more effective I think, I even read it with a British accent in my head right now. But it ain't quite like hearing it. But still, burst out laughing quite a few times.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

• 2 months later...

Just finished Echos of the Long War the 6th book in warhammer 40ks the beast arises series. It is by far my favorite series that i have so far read. But also a little disapointing.

If youve ever read and liked any warhammer book id recomend getting them. First off, its not actually a 40k series and i would have loved for it to have been turned into its own stand alone franchise. It takes place 1000 years after the horus heresy so its alot closer to 30k and through the course of the series you get to see just how the imperium of the 40k millenium was created. You get background into how the three orders of the inquisition were created, the rise of the church of the god emperor of man, and by far my favorite part, it reveals alot of the inner workings of the high lords of Terra and the books have al ton of political intrigue. It also goes heavily into how the space marines are feeling about the change in the imperium. Some chapters fully believing in the god emperor and others still trying to hold onto the imperial scientific truth that the emperor taught.

The only negative complaint i have about the series is that its not its own franchise and because of that its cast of charecters is limited. The main charecters are the high lords of terra, the iron warriors and most chapters of the imperial fists legion. Which is alot more then most warhammer series but it could have been even more epic.

I would love to see a chapter of world eaters charge an orc defensive bastion. Raven guard and orc comandos dueling in the shadows of a hive city. Night lords raiding orc supply convoys. Hell a duel between a Eldar craftworld and an orc attack moon would be a pure epic space battle....l and yes i did just use orc, defensive, and supply convoys in the same sentences. I wont spoil any more plot lines because the things the orcs do in this series is just amazing.

Last thing thats interesting about this series is that although every book follows the same plot line each is written by a different author. It makes for a bit of change as each authors writing style differs slightly but on the other hand its letting black library publish a new book every month and they already have publication dates set for the first 13 books in the series. No more waiting half a year or more to find out what happens after the cliff hanger

michel555555.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Finished reading 1Q84.

First book of Murakami that I've read, it is pretty magical indeed. 1150 pages of awesomeness. Took a lot of time, but once picked up, was hard to put down.

Definitely a recommendation.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Finished reading 1Q84.

First book of Murakami that I've read, it is pretty magical indeed. 1150 pages of awesomeness. Took a lot of time, but once picked up, was hard to put down.

Definitely a recommendation.

Oh dope, I just read Kafka on the Shore by him a couple months ago and it was gorgeous, definitely looking to read more of his stuff once I finish the last batch of books I got lol. But yeah I'd definitely recommend that one if you're looking for more murakami to read. I'm looking at norwegian wood or the wind-up bird chronicle next, 1Q84 is still just a bit intimidating size-wise for me at the moment