What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Hey my last post was on the last page. Things have changed since then, I read a lot more often now, though still not a ridiculous amount. I finished Tripwire, it was pretty neat-o, and I read another of his books, which was Die Trying, I think? I've got A Wanted Man on the bookshelf ready to go, but I've been delving into other things. I enjoy Jack Reacher books, for however simple they are. Since then, however, I've also reeeeeead:

Both The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, the Witcher books. Brilliant short story collections, which is good for someone with a low attention span. Some really, really fantastic short stories which also gave me a greater appreciation for the games. Intending to get the actual novels when they're cheap and I'm willing to burn some cash.

Both 1984 and Animal Farm. Understanding a million 1984 references now, I'd seen the movie years ago, but forgotten near all of it. Really gripping story, and actually caught me off guard in regards to the ending (I assumed it as a possibility, but never thought how it'd go down). I read through Animal Farm in a morning, just a solid, short hit of goodness.

Read Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow. I think he's an Aussie author. I wasn't fond of it. It all seemed a little silly. Something over the top led into something ridiculous and over the top which led into something even more ridiculous and over the top. Too much action, not enough actual story for my liking.

Read James Patterson's Toys. Also great for short attention spans, each chapter is like three pages. Smashed through it really quick because of that. Only problem was the ending, which defeated the entire purpose of the story, or so I thought, or maybe that's what James was aiming for.

And the Hobbit. I've yet to see the second/third movie, but I have no idea how they stretched it into three. Great story, though. Love that the narrator (Is it Bilbo? Or Gandalf? I wasn't sure) just sorta talks to you at points, telling you that they're gonna go back and give gold to the eagles after they win the battle.

Reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo now. I've seen the movies (Both US and Swedish), but I can't for the life of me remember how it all goes down, which is fantastic.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Kindle Paperwhite, but as I am currently yet too poor for new books (ain't had that first paycheck on the far side of the planet yet) then had to make do with Project Gutenberg books. Mind you, they are excellent though.

So far, gone through The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. Dorian Gray was compulsory reading back in school, but I relied on sparknotes. It is pretty well written, and pulls in.

The Time Machine... Well, read it in 2 sittings. What more can I say?

Tried to get to reading Moby Dick, but there is just so bloody much sidestepping and stuff. Can't for the love of me keep following the thing.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 8 months later...

Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami.

An eye-opener for me. Found a lot in common with the thoughts and deeds...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

wind up bird chronicle is an incredible book, hard seconded

@ring I'd definitely recommend Designing Data-Intensive Applications from O'Reilly. It explains a lot about different ideas between modern database technologies, how they developed over time, and what problems they are meant to solve. Gives a super nuanced view about how to choose the right technology for a given system function and how to make sense of the messes of available options, and is super useful in architecture discussions. It's helped me a lot with being able to contribute to these kinds of system design discussions at work. Even just making it a few chapters in has a ton of gold.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Border, by Erika Fatland (in Norwegian)

The author travelled through all the countries neighbouring Russia and wrote about their relationships with Russia, about their past and present. She even somehow got into North Korea, Nagorno-Karabakh and the Ukrainian separatist states of Donetsk and Lugansk. Pretty bloody interesting.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

• 2 months later...

Finally bought Metro 2035, so I'm working my way through the whole trilogy again. Damn that is some good, if not the best dystopian series.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

• 6 months later...

Finished reading 1Q84.

First book of Murakami that I've read, it is pretty magical indeed. 1150 pages of awesomeness. Took a lot of time, but once picked up, was hard to put down.

Definitely a recommendation.

Oh dope, I just read Kafka on the Shore by him a couple months ago and it was gorgeous, definitely looking to read more of his stuff once I finish the last batch of books I got lol. But yeah I'd definitely recommend that one if you're looking for more murakami to read. I'm looking at norwegian wood or the wind-up bird chronicle next, 1Q84 is still just a bit intimidating size-wise for me at the moment

I want to write that the book, as for me, is very specific. I don’t try to judge what this is about, but most are repelled by the abundance of bed scenes and the lack of a clear storyline. Just the life of a student named Watanabe, with his joys and sorrows, is just like everyone else. Watanabe is generally a bit of a strange character and for a very long time I took him for some white canvas. Why? Even I cannot answer this question. The language of the book is simple, but has its own charm and is a reflection of the protagonist. It was interesting to read. Yes, not a roller coaster of adventure and action, but very atmospheric and alive. Japanese culture has conquered me again. Handsomely. Is it worth reading? At one's own risk...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...