Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What book are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
1097 replies to this topic

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

This week I read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Both fairly enjoyable books, I'd say strong three / weak four for both.

TANSTAAFL

Serpent Eye
[ Display Name History ]

Serpent Eye

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.

I think this is unofficially geared more towards a YA audience, so there is less (though still a lot!) violence/gore, sex/nudity, and gratuitous profanity than his other work, but I'm still really enjoying it. Sadly the book is a lot shorter than his other work, too, so it's almost done. :(

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Reread Jurassic Park on a whim, since Crichton basically dominated my high school years and I've only barely touched him since.

rant

Thinking of getting into Terry Pratchett. Anything I should know/what should I start with?

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Thinking of getting into Terry Pratchett. Anything I should know/what should I start with?

yes me pick me pick me

basically the first couple of discworld books are straight fantasy parody/satire. it's pretty funny, but also pretty simple and can get a bit tired. about five books in is where it starts getting good, the world gets developed, gets its quirks and idiosyncrasies, etc. Bolded are books I think are particularly standout. I'd say there are about 4 main groups of characters/settings the series mostly follows, though they cross over pretty frequently. Death in particularly usually shows up every book, for the obvious reason.

There's the Rincewind/wizard books which started the earliest so they're the most derivative of other fantasy stuff. Probably worth leaving off until you're into it more. Basically about a terrible wizard who somehow ends up becoming the hero constantly even though he hates it. Reading order: Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Faust (Eric), Interesting Times, The Last Continent, The Last Hero, Unseen Academicals.

The Witch books, which focus on a trio of witches. Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick. the first book in the series is a pretty funny hamlet parody, so if you're big into Hamlet it could be a good starting point. these books generally explore stereotypical fantasy stuff compared to how they were portrayed in actual folklore/how they're are in the Discworld universe. If you like stuff deconstructing fantasy creatures and cliches, I'd recommend starting here. Reading order: Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum. There are also some young adult novels set in the same area with these characters as support which are good, these are The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky and I Shall Wear Midnight.

The Death books, which are about the personification of Death, and my personal recommendation on a starting point. Might be my favourite series of Discworld. Reading order: Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, Thief of Time. 

And finally, the City Watch novels. Mostly set in Ankh-Morpork, think medieval London turned to 11. Definitely the recommendation if you're into like crime novels and mysteries and stuff, but that's obviously not essential. Focuses mainly on a cop called Sam Vimes who has to get the City Watch up to code in a city that's pretty overwhelming. I know it's a cliche to say this, but Ankh-Morpork is almost another character when it's a setting of a book. Probably one of the best fantasy cities thought up, very unique. Reading order: Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud!, Snuff. Also very good, my secondmost recommendation.

Of course these aren't concrete recommendations. You can easily pick and mix between these and you won't really be lost. I'd recommend getting maybe the first two of a series that catches your eye and starting there. Most books have a theme or a target they're working towards, like "oh this one is about elves", "this one is about christmas (it's equivalent)", "this one is about war politics". There are a lot more shorter series and one offs, too, but I figured just give you the basics and if you're hooked you'll find them out yourself. A lot of those deal with technological advances and their effects on the world. Though, if you want to start with a one off, I would recommend Small Gods, one of the few books of his I think are good enough to stand against the classics and shit.

A final note is that the world definitely progresses, there are events you won't really get and character beats you won't appreciate/enjoy as much if you, for example, jump all the way to The Last Continent, for example. 

I always like a good opportunity to sperg out over Discworld, it is probably my favourite fantasy universe, and I hope this helps out and isn't too wordy or overwhelming (it totally is). PM me if you need more (haha) information or suggestions. This is probably the most effort I've put into anything on this forum in like 4 years haha.

FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

L S D Outlaw
[ Display Name History ]

L S D Outlaw

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 145 posts

I'll be hitting the textbooks pretty hard this month. Getting my education is the goal.

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts

Finished The Afghan Campaign by Pressfield and The Martian by Andy Weir. Both fairly decent but nothing spectacular.

TANSTAAFL

BattleThingz
[ Display Name History ]

BattleThingz

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:BattleThingz
  • RSN '07:Game Playa
  • Clan:Social Outkasts,The Slayer's Guild

African Safari Papers, by Robert Sedlack. Extremely entertaining novel!

More old-school than you know...

battlethingz.png

Proud Member of The Slayer's Guild since April 7th 2009.
Skill Total Goal Complete: 2500 - November 12th 2014.
Goal Total Experience: 338,895,206 - Goal complete November 2nd 2014.
Next Goal Experience: 1,000,000,000 -
Personal Kalphite Queen Guide
Follow My PoP Blog!

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Started reading the Hunger Games books, and I'm enjoying them way more than I probably should

Low Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Low Levelled

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Started reading the Hunger Games books, and I'm enjoying them way more than I probably should

Said most of America's youth circa 2010

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,821 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht
I was reading Roadside Picnic, but I got sidetracked ~75% through. I recently picked up The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, and am really glad that I did.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

I was reading Roadside Picnic, but I got sidetracked ~75% through. I recently picked up The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, and am really glad that I did.

You should check this book out: http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/1897238401

I always fall back to that whenever I feel like I'm starting to get worried or stressed out over something. Instantly makes me feel happy every time; it's like a magic bullet to happiness :D

77yLQy8.png

L S D Outlaw
[ Display Name History ]

L S D Outlaw

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 145 posts

I reading the Diablo III booklet :shades:

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,463 posts

Finally got around to reading the LOTR, now that any additional movies seem unlikely.

Inb4 silmarillions.  But anyways I'm currently halfway done with the Two Towers and I so far I'ved liked the additonal insites but I felt the whole Tom Bombadil part seemed out of place with the rest of the story.

L S D Outlaw
[ Display Name History ]

L S D Outlaw

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 145 posts

And I am now reading the quest guide for WoS :P

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Currently reading The Cyberiad, a sci-fi/comedy short story collection, and have discovered a new respect for sci-fi. As an example of the book's genius, it includes a machine which writes poetry, including a love poem expressed in the language of pure mathematics: 

Cancel me not - for then what shall remain?

Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes,

A root or two, a torus and a node:

The inverse of my verse, a null domain.

^ just one stanza from the poem.  

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
I like the rhyme yet I am quite confused what it's trying to say despite knowing all the words lol.
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

^ Probably should have posted the entire poem, but it's quite a few stanzas long. Basically, the whole thing uses mathematical terminology in a way which imitates and almost sounds like a traditional love poem, but the terms aren't used correctly, and the love part also fails. The poem - like the whole book - is v tongue in cheek. 

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

77yLQy8.png

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
Books?
This:

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Recently finished The Spectre of Alexander Wolf, by Gaito Gazdanov, am reading The Carter of La Providence, by Simenon. Will probably read either some Sherlock Holmes or Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users