What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

^ I read BNW this year for AP Lang. I enjoyed it, quite a few interesting things to consider.

Now reading Slaughterhouse-Five for AP Lang. With such short sentences so far, it's easy to read, but seems choppy since I'm not used to short sentences anymore. Also, I've only read 65 pages and I'm already quite sick of seeing the phrase "or so it goes" at the end of many paragraphs.

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

I have way too many books on the go!

- The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

- A Journey - Tony Blair

- A brief history of time - Stephen Hawking

And I just started Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Cool story so far, I've not seen any of the films yet either.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Finished Angels & Demons AND The Da Vinci Code :thumbsup:

Got to read the 3rd book (can't remember the name) now. I really like these sorts of stories where there's a good grounding in reality, you can really imagine these sorts of things being true (even if they are exaggerated for the story, like I think Wikipedia said the priory of sion don't exist).

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Finished Angels & Demons AND The Da Vinci Code :thumbsup:

Got to read the 3rd book (can't remember the name) now. I really like these sorts of stories where there's a good grounding in reality, you can really imagine these sorts of things being true (even if they are exaggerated for the story, like I think Wikipedia said the priory of sion don't exist).

The Lost Symbol :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love all of those books!

I'm currently reread the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series! It's been a while!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Drylor%20Front.jpg

Haven't read it yet but its a book I am looking forward to that comes out next month... It looks like a very promising book. Below is what the back of the book says (I got it off the book's facebook page).

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through

an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has

happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail

cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and

halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus.

It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he

meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail

cell while deciding his destiny.

As Vons memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only

one who can protect Drylora world that abandoned him

from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the

truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing

to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet

from annihilating the only world they have ever known.

As Vons past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon

realizes the only way he can end his brothers heartless

massacres is to find him and kill him.

I'm trying to finish all of the Brad Thor thrillers. I'm currently on book five: Takedown. A great series of thrillers with some of the most original ideas in the genre. Fantastic action.

After that I have a whole load of stuff to read. I have the Shike Duology by Robert Shea, which is something about ancient Japan and looks pretty good. Then a couple Stephen King books. I'm probably going to read A Game of Thrones first though since the TV series is coming out and I can't believe I haven't read the series yet. Then The Scar by China Meville.

After that I'm gonna read some classic Chinese literature, and then Neal Stephenson, Takeshi Kovacs, and William Gibson cyberpunk.

That should last me to summer break :D

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton

Its about a group of US Army spec ops guys who were the first ones to go into Afghanistan after 9/11

~I will always have some KO in my heart <3 thanks for the memory's KO unit~

Old troll.

Ex-Leader of KO Unit

Ex-Member of Legendz

Ex-Member of the Wilderness Guardians

The most recent translation of The Ruba'iyat of Omar Khayyam, though I'm almost done.

Next, I reckon I'll read Metamorphosis by Kafka - unless I have a bad experience with an insect beforehand. :ohnoes:

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I got like half way through A Game of Thrones. While it was good, I don't like how it doesn't get the reader invested in characters. Since it deals with so many people at once, I don't feel like there's a character or two that I can really get attached to, and I like having that element in a book.

But the TV show just started (I watched the first episode) and that's tempting me into trying to finish it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I got like half way through A Game of Thrones. While it was good, I don't like how it doesn't get the reader invested in characters. Since it deals with so many people at once, I don't feel like there's a character or two that I can really get attached to, and I like having that element in a book.

But the TV show just started (I watched the first episode) and that's tempting me into trying to finish it.

I'm considering looking into other books in that series once I get the chance/find a new bookstore.

I got bored about a hundred pages through it just because of all the description, and as you stated, I can't invest myself in any character. A big part of me finishing a book is being invested in the main character(s) and I just can't do so with Game of Thrones, so I threw it in the "Turn Into The Used Bookstore" pile and started up on Shike, which has so far been very promising.

well i am a dale brown fan read most of his books and the ones i have not read i have

also a tom clance fan both are very good writers and keep me reading

but then i am older then some of you and have read all the hobbit books, mobie [bleep] , treasure island ....ECT so i just like to read the books i was not able to when i was younger ,but to each his own

i will say i have looked over most of these threads and have found some of your books intresting i think i will have a look see to see whats out there.

thanks for some idea's :thumbsup:

William_Sr.png

I'm having trouble finding something I can read all the way through. Nothing is working for me right now. I like reading really fast paced, action-y kind of books when I have school for obvious reasons. I quit reading Shike to try a new Frank Herbert book that bored the crap out of me. I guess I'll go back to Shike.

Of course, one of my friends comes into school with Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which I've been complaining to my dad I really want to friggin read. Hopefully he'll let me borrow it.

Not a big fan of fiction or "classic literature" (ie books you read for english class), I prefer biographies, historical and political books. That said, I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged. I wanted to finish it before the movie was released but failed. Before that I read None Left Behind by Charles Sasser which I would highly recommend (it's about 10th Mountain in one of the dangerous parts of Iraq).

Runescape's backed me up on my reading, got so many books to read this summer. Bring it on. Probably going to read The Big Scrum by John Miller or Known and Unknown by Donald Rumsfeld next. If anyone's read those two or The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky, The Case for Democracy by Natan Sharansky, Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris, The Republic by Plato or The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith and would recommend/not recommend any of those I'd appreciate it.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

Not a big fan of fiction or "classic literature" (ie books you read for english class), I prefer biographies, historical and political books. That said, I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged. I wanted to finish it before the movie was released but failed. Before that I read None Left Behind by Charles Sasser which I would highly recommend (it's about 10th Mountain in one of the dangerous parts of Iraq).

Runescape's backed me up on my reading, got so many books to read this summer. Bring it on. Probably going to read The Big Scrum by John Miller or Known and Unknown by Donald Rumsfeld next. If anyone's read those two or The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky, The Case for Democracy by Natan Sharansky, Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris, The Republic by Plato or The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith and would recommend/not recommend any of those I'd appreciate it.

Plato's Republic is by far the greatest work in the entire Platonic canon. Before I read it, I'd read the Timaeus and Protagoras dialogues, so I thought I knew what to expect from Plato... turns out it superseded everything I expected from it. I think that it is probably the book of political science. If you've read Aristotle's Politics, which is amazing, then Republic is better. Penguin do the best translation.

I also used to own a version of The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, originally printed at the turn of the 20th century, but I never read it before I lent it to my moronic cousin who dropped it in a bath 'without realising' (so she says) and completely ruined it. I'm not so interested in it as to buy a new version.

If you're into politcal literature, I'd also recommend 'Hiero' by Xenophon (which can be bought in a wonderful book by Penguin called Hiero the Tyrant and Other Treatises), which is about the nature of tyranny (which is, of course, a Greek concept - tyrannos being the Greek term for a ruler who gains power illegaly. Interestingly, it wasn't originally a derogative term. The common behaviours of tyrants, discussed in the Hiero, are what gave the term its negative connotation. Tyrants also played a fascinating role in the political landscape of the polis' of classical Greece, in case you wanted to look at that aspect of it.), and a book from Oxford's World Classics called simply 'Political Speeches', by Cicero, irrevocably greatest orator of ancient Rome.

Generally, the fractuous and unstable politics of the Roman Senate before its transition to Empire and of classical Greece before it was unified by the Macedonians make for fascinating reading, and any book on these topics by a contemporary historian would in all certainity be a brilliant read if you're not into older books. Personally, I haven't read any thought, so I'd have a little browse on Amazon to find the best in these categories.

I hope my advice has been helpful. Please say if you want me to say more on Plato; it would make a long post and I have tried to be brief.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I haven't read anything at all lately. It's so depressing. :unsure:

I was doing quite well back when my laptop was exploding and didn't work... but now that I have a new, shiny computer... :-w

I CAN'T DECIDE ON WHAT TO READ. I guess I could always reread Jurassic Park...

tripsis, I'm too lazy to go back and try to find it (maybe there was a topic about it?) but did you ever finish reading Rick Riordan's The Lost Hero?

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

-snip-

Plato's Republic is by far the greatest work in the entire Platonic canon. Before I read it, I'd read the Timaeus and Protagoras dialogues, so I thought I knew what to expect from Plato... turns out it superseded everything I expected from it. I think that it is probably the book of political science. If you've read Aristotle's Politics, which is amazing, then Republic is better. Penguin do the best translation.

I also used to own a version of The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, originally printed at the turn of the 20th century, but I never read it before I lent it to my moronic cousin who dropped it in a bath 'without realising' (so she says) and completely ruined it. I'm not so interested in it as to buy a new version.

If you're into politcal literature, I'd also recommend 'Hiero' by Xenophon (which can be bought in a wonderful book by Penguin called Hiero the Tyrant and Other Treatises), which is about the nature of tyranny (which is, of course, a Greek concept - tyrannos being the Greek term for a ruler who gains power illegaly. Interestingly, it wasn't originally a derogative term. The common behaviours of tyrants, discussed in the Hiero, are what gave the term its negative connotation. Tyrants also played a fascinating role in the political landscape of the polis' of classical Greece, in case you wanted to look at that aspect of it.), and a book from Oxford's World Classics called simply 'Political Speeches', by Cicero, irrevocably greatest orator of ancient Rome.

Generally, the fractuous and unstable politics of the Roman Senate before its transition to Empire and of classical Greece before it was unified by the Macedonians make for fascinating reading, and any book on these topics by a contemporary historian would in all certainity be a brilliant read if you're not into older books. Personally, I haven't read any thought, so I'd have a little browse on Amazon to find the best in these categories.

I hope my advice has been helpful. Please say if you want me to say more on Plato; it would make a long post and I have tried to be brief.

I'm quite bit backed up on my reading. Up until about a year ago I read very little and as such I haven't read any Plato nor Aristotle. I'll definitely look into Politics, and luckily I have the Penguin translation for The Republic. Hiero and Political Speeches both also look good. I'm pretty interested in political science so I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

My copy of Wealth of Nations is from 1904, but a friend of mine said it's incredibly boring. Though, as an economics major I feel like I should read it so I'll get around to it eventually.

If you'd like to expand on Plato go for it. As one of the most influential thinkers of all-time I feel like everyone should have at least a basic understanding of his writings, which I currently lack. Thanks for your post, it was really informative.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

I don't have anything I want to read again atm so I'm reading the Memory, Thorn and Sorrow saga from Tad Williams again.

Anyone have some recommendations? I love fantasy :mrgreen: .

Stuff I've read:

- Lord of the Rings (durr)

- Everything from Weiss and Hickman

- Song of Fire and Ice

- Wheel of Time

- Tad Williams' books

- Everything from Robin Hobb

I'm not into David Eddings;

The first book in the Law of Magic series is the worst piece of crap I have ever read.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

@above - Some fantasy authors I'd recommend are Raymond E. Feist, Stephen Donaldson aaaaand Janny Wurts. I can't really recommend any titles by Feist, since it's been a long while since I've read stuff by him, but To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts was the first book of hers that I read, and it was pretty awesome. For Stephen Donaldson, I'd say The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant or Mordant's Need, both epic series. Mordant's Need is only two books long, while the Chronicles have three book arcs, the first two consisting of three books, and the final four books, of which only three are out. And, if you're into fantasy with humour, read pretty much anything Discworld by Terry Pratchett. His earlier books are more parodies/deconstructions of the cliched fantasy book, but they evolve into their own universe after a while. Aaaand finally, The Black Prism, by Brent Weeks. It's pretty new, but the concept seems interesting, and the first book was enjoyable.

On to what I am reading, Neuromancer, by William Gibson. One of the few sci-fi novels I've actually read, and it's pretty great. And not really a book, but a short story I found to be pretty great was Tim Pratt's Impossible Dreams. It was really nice. :3

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men