What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

I finally finished A Game of Thrones on Thursday so I'm onto A Clash of Kings. I'm already over 300 pages in so I'm making much better progress XD

I just started reading a Game of Thrones yesterday, wanted to see what all the hype about it was. :P Only a few chapters in and I'm already enjoying it so far.

Also I re-read the Hobbit last week, I forgot how different it is in writing style compared to LOTR.

Also I re-read the Hobbit last week, I forgot how different it is in writing style compared to LOTR.

Yeah it's weird :P The writing style of The Hobbit is much better than LotR IMO! I almost can't get through LotR :/

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Investment Psychology Explained: Classic Strategies to Beat the Markets by Martin J. Pring

Pretty insightful. Pring makes some very good points on self-discipline and its association with success.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Investment Psychology Explained: Classic Strategies to Beat the Markets by Martin J. Pring

Pretty insightful. Pring makes some very good points on self-discipline and its association with success.

To quote Taleb on books of that genre:

"What we call 'business books' is an eliminative category invented by bookstores for writings that have no depth, no style, no empirical rigor, and no linguistic sophistication."

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham.

It is a pretty sickening must read.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I finally finished A Game of Thrones on Thursday so I'm onto A Clash of Kings. I'm already over 300 pages in so I'm making much better progress XD

I'd say the series peaks at Storm of Swords, then goes down, and then up again in terms of reading-fastability. And then you need to wait 5 years for the next one. :>

As for me, I'm trying to reread House of Leaves. I'd do the wanky bluetext stuff but effort. I've found that I don't get burnt out so quickly if I just skim the framing chapters where the guy starts talking about his... hooker girlfriend, or something. I can't really remember. God they're dull.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I have 1 week to read the last Harry Potter book. Better get reading. :thumbup:

I couldn't put down the 7th book when I originally read it, so one week to read it shouldn't be a problem :razz:

Right now I'm reading SuperFreakonomics. It's the same concept as the first book, but just discusses new subjects. It's a pretty interesting read so far and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first one.

Also, I just finished reading 1984. It strongly reminded me of The Giver and Fahrenheit 451 (so 1984 is probably where those authors drew their inspiration), but I was fascinated by the perspective Orwell offered of the future. I found it curious how some of it has come to fruition. CCTV (the cameras placed all over the UK to keep watch everywhere outside, all the time), texting/internet grammar (similar to Newspeak, where the language is seemingly shrinking and diminishing to a very basic/primitive vocabulary of innumerable acronyms and abbreviations), and Guantanamo Bay (reflective of the Ministry of Love where, instead of making martyrs, they try to have the prisoners denounce their radical beliefs and confess through torture of crimes they did and did not commit) all hold great resemblance to the book. 1984 may have come and gone, but it is definitely approaching.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

The Story of Insulin. I assume it's out of print, as it was published in 62 or thereabouts, and was discarded by my high school library. I grabbed it at the end of the year and am just now getting around to reading it; it's really interesting and the information isn't out of date... It just doesn't cover anything that happened with insulin after the 60's, so it's pretty nifty.

Finally finished with the Harry Potter series. The 7th books was fantastic. Now I can finally go see the second part of the 7th movie in theaters.

I'd say 5/5 for the series as a whole. Some books were better than others, though.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

• 2 weeks later...

My first post on the forums is on this thread - feel privileged!

Just started "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Reminds me of "Nineteen eighty-four" at times. :)

AC.png

~99 Thieving

~99 Fletching

~Skiller

~Owner of a veteran cape

~Proud member of Guild of Arts

I don't particularly care for sci-fi novels but has anyone read The Hunger Games?

No, but I've wanting to. Sadly, the stores here don't seem to have any in stock and the Library has then checked out *all* the time. It's implying that it must be good.

I don't particularly care for sci-fi novels but has anyone read The Hunger Games?

I read it and enjoyed the series quite a bit. It's not too heavily sci-fi influenced in that it takes place in a post apocalyptic world with a corrupt government city at the heart of the story. It's a face paced book with a lot of action to keep you reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Did someone move this from the Library on accident?

I don't read for fun during the school year...

The Republic by Plato.

@Duff http://forum.tip.it/topic/302244-forum-restructuring-give-your-input/

Right now I'm currently reading Brave New World. It's an interesting contrast to 1984.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Did someone move this from the Library on accident?

I don't read for fun during the school year...

The Republic by Plato.

@Duff http://forum.tip.it/topic/302244-forum-restructuring-give-your-input/

Right now I'm currently reading Brave New World. It's an interesting contrast to 1984.

I hated that book so much.

tFtfA.jpg

Brave New World is one of my favorite books. I haven't read it in a while though, I forget some (most) of the details.

I'm readings Flowers for Algernon for English class right now. It's actually a pretty good read so far.