What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

snuff, by terry pratchett. you can definitely feel his illness affecting him thru the way he writes. dialogue is v. samey and overly verbose, i'm guessing this is a result of him dictating his newer books instead of writing them, as well as prob less massive editing from his editors. i remember an interview w/him from ages ago where he said his method was "write lots, edit more" to paraphrase and it's p. visible here. it's still good, a rough gem compared to the piles of goat shit that comprises 90% of fantasy novels. this is also yr daily reminder that alzheimers sucks, yo

also read the wise man's fear, by patrick rothfuss. real good. mad as heck cuz i hate having to wait for new books in series i enjoy.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Finished Mr muo's travelling couch. I just read a little at a time, and thought that it was decent. Very Funny moments in the beginning, but changed its tone. Its the only novel ive read the past few years that wasnt needed for school.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Mark of Calth in the Horus Heresy, Warhammer series. Decent for an anthology. More excited for the next book in the series. Vulcan Lives. No more beating around the bush and vague hints for 20 some odd books. Get to finally find out what happened to Vulcan. After that the only major charecters who havn't had their back stories explored are Mortarion, Khan, and the 2 missing legions. I'm hoping they do a Mortarion novel soon because he's the only one who we were never told why he joined Horus.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Didn't Mortarion come to see the Emperor as some kind of power hungry tyrant like the warlord who first found him, so Horus was able to use that to convince him to join the uprising? (I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I knew that without looking it up :P) Still, it would be good to see this expanded upon like the others.

Are they planning books about the missing legions?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Time on the Cross, a book on the economic history of American slavery written by Robert Fogel. I had him as a professor last year teaching economic history shortly before he died, so I figured I should read the book responsible for his Nobel Prize. So far, it's fascinating.

• Like 1

Didn't Mortarion come to see the Emperor as some kind of power hungry tyrant like the warlord who first found him, so Horus was able to use that to convince him to join the uprising? (I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I knew that without looking it up :P) Still, it would be good to see this expanded upon like the others.

Are they planning books about the missing legions?

That was Angron to some extent. He hated the emperor for saving him and leaving his gladiator brothers to die. He viewed both Horus and the emperor as power hungry fools, one naive for believing that all humanity will just bow down and be good and decent people with a just ruler leading them. And Horus as a fool for believing his vision of an empire would last at all. He sided with Horus in the end just for revenge for his fallen brothers.

Mortarion all i can remember is he sided with Horus for some reason, his fleet got trapped in a warp storm and all the ships gellar fields failed. He made some pact with Nurgle while the ships were being overrun and when the ships came out of the warp it was as an army of Nurgle.

Not sure if they have any plans for the missing legions but they have hinted in a few books about them. One was about Fulgrim being there when one of them was found and either witnessing or being a part of his death.

michel555555.png

Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished Vulcan Lives in the horus heresy series. It was excellent. To be honest though it was much more interesting to see the mind set of Night Haunter rather then Vulcan. Trying to show that all the primarchs are monsters and that he was right to join Horus because all the primarchs would be just like him if they would see the horrors he sees in his nightmares. Trying to drag them all down to his level.

It ends in a cliff hanger :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: We still have no idea if he's actually still alive in the 40k universe!!!

There were some other juicy tidbits throughout the book to. The cabal is starting to get interesting. They are actively trying to find ways to kill the emperors primarchs to give Horus a better chance at winning. Which doesnt make sense. They are losing control. Alpha legion has slipped their leash and for a group of extremely powerful and knowledgeable psychics they seem to be clueless that the future is not as easy to manipulate as they think it is. That they can manipulate so many events to get their desired outcome. The craft worlds are also starting to interfere. Helping the immortals get out of their bargains with the cabal. Will be very interesting to see what the immortals will do in the next books

michel555555.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished reading A Canticle for Leibowitz.

I had to read it for this science fiction English class I am taking. But man, what a powerful novel. A great book. Definitely would recommend it. It may start off slow, but it does so for a reason.

Now I'm just sitting here and I don't know what to do. That seems to happen a lot after I finish a good book.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Just finished reading A Canticle for Leibowitz.

I had to read it for this science fiction English class I am taking. But man, what a powerful novel. A great book. Definitely would recommend it. It may start off slow, but it does so for a reason.

...I should really reread this.

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson finally came out. Sequel to The Way of Kings in his stormlight archive series.

1200 pages of hardcover awesomeness that i want to start reading!! But if i start i won't be able to put it down for a week until i finish it, and i have work on sunday.

I probably forgot some things from way of kings so i might just have to read both :wub:

michel555555.png

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I started reading Norwegian Wood. I want to see whether all the fuss about Murakami is justified.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Just finished up Foundation and Empire. On to the third in the trilogy. Great albeit sometimes cringingly outdated science fiction so far. Apparently everyone still smokes in the future. And we'll watch movies through projectors.

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

I'm still only 1/3 the way through the far shorter Norwegian Wood, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by Murakami. I read it right after finishing Lermontov's A Hero of our Time, which pretty much established the psychological formula for later Russian novelists like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. By comparion, Murakami's bland characters appear one dimensional; I'm also struggling with the idea that Naoko's psychological breakdown stems from her inability to get wet for her late boyfriend Kizuki. Maybe she'll make sense later on in the book.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau