Jagex's new bot punishment: Level resetting

The_Gabe

I noticed this on runetracker: http://runetracker.org/track-w+99+skiller

This guys total exp has crashed by over 80 million, his combat exp has gone right done. Pretty weird...

Can't access from work so I can't see the page but I'm guessing that a change like that is going to be down to a name change.

If you change your name on runetracker it keeps the same progress and doesn't crash

It recognizes you changed your name and continues as normal

You just type in your new name and wal la

Really? I vaguely remember reading that if you changed names, and then someone else took your old one then the XP could be messed up like that.

Quite possible I'm wrong though

I don't think it's a name change, because it seems only his hp, attack, strength and defence exp has been changed.

rosssigfinal.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is a punishment, then i dont really see any gain on jagex's behalf.

You don't see the gain? They get to keep membership payments while the bots keep going.

Money makes the Jagex Hq spin. Nah but smart on jagexs part. botters gonna keep botting jagex put stats at 1, botter redo process jagex get profit.

if it is a punishment, then i dont really see any gain on jagex's behalf.

You don't see the gain? They get to keep membership payments while the bots keep going.

Money makes the Jagex Hq spin. Nah but smart on jagexs part. botters gonna keep botting jagex put stats at 1, botter redo process jagex get profit.

Problem is if the person say, botted RC'ing deaths. Lose the exp, but gain money. If they mess with the persons items gained through botting, then I think it's ingenious and a really good system. At least for Jagex, bots don't profit/gain exp but the botters still pay for membership.

Tbh, gotta agree, it does make sense from their financial perspective. But Jagex can't publicly say this, or people will start botting more.

As for instant perm-ban.... suppose for a second that 10% of members bot. Perm ban them all, Jagex loses 10% of their revenue.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Seems like a fairly decent solution, although I'm still not informed about the specifics and haven't taken the time to research them, nor do I really care to if I were to be honest, I'm just as happy knowing Jagex is making efforts to counter the use of bots and macros, and even if those efforts turn out to be not as effective as they were planned to be or as I would want to be, I'll still admire them for trying.

I'm sure some of those who constantly bash Jagex don't really understand how difficult it is to combat bots and macros.

I just hope any innocent players don't get caught up in this, although I strongly doubt they would considering I haven't seen the Player Support and Investigations team make any errors in the past, but I'm not exactly sure if I've been around long enough to know in the first place.

"Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone."

Vandite.png

How would you know if they make errors? Not like they'd publicize them. Only way you can know is from it happening unjustly to someone (or at least claims to have it happen.) Happens every now and then.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

As for instant perm-ban.... suppose for a second that 10% of members bot. Perm ban them all, Jagex loses 10% of their revenue.

Both Microsoft and Nintendo release system updates that prevent cheats from using their online services all the time, some of them even 'brick' the console beyond repair in the process, but I'd hardly suggest Bill Gates is struggling to find enough money to pay his taxes at the moment.

Saw a post from Mod Mat K earlier (about 18 hours ago?), this did happen, and they're working to fix it and restore the levels to everyone. Quite a few legit players lost levels apparently.

Also @Ginger_Warrior, remember how Bill Gates wasn't the richest man after donating all that money? He's the richest man in the world once again already.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Saw a post from Mod Mat K earlier (about 18 hours ago?), this did happen, and they're working to fix it and restore the levels to everyone. Quite a few legit players lost levels apparently.

Also @Ginger_Warrior, remember how Bill Gates wasn't the richest man after donating all that money? He's the richest man in the world once again already.

Wasn't Mod Mat K, you can check by searching his profile.

I did find a jmod reply to a rsof thread about it:

All players that have had skill levels lost have been asked to submit a bug report so our bug trackers can investigate it.

Players that are caught botting are banned.

-Stacey-

Quick find code: 15-16-298-61836117

Hameigh.png

Level resetting may be a good temporary solution, but what will be done with all the items on the player? Surely they can't just sit there and allow the player to bot buyable skills again.

I'm going to say that perm banning bots is still the solution. Banning 10% of members (say they are bots) means losing 10% of revenue, but I'm sure Jagex can make more than that 10%.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Is is just me, or would having your levels reset actually be a good thing for people trying to make a pure? I mean, say you had maxed combat stats, but decided you wanted to be a zerker, just bot defense for a while?

Lots of people had the same idea. But now Jagex is saying this was a mistake (and if it is, good for them for fixing it quickly) so I wouldn't recommend trying it now. lol

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm finding this amusing but also worrying. Was this bot able to change exp for skills and went wrong or was this an automatic defence mechanism by the game engine?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

[removed image] - The picture has a player's username on and naming names on subjects like this is against our rules ~ Racheya

Just something to laugh at :thumbsup:

(not mine)

Edited by Racheya

whoa. gotta feel sorry for him! (well if he did deserve it, maybe not)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Please remember guys, when posting screenshots ingame or of adventurer's logs to REMOVE THE USERNAME IN QUESTION. Not doing so will require the image to be removed as, in topics such as this, it could be naming that person as a botter and naming names is against our rules. Just a reminder :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Meh. They should stick to banning.

Stick to? you mean start?

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Please remember guys, when posting screenshots ingame or of adventurer's logs to REMOVE THE USERNAME IN QUESTION. Not doing so will require the image to be removed as, in topics such as this, it could be naming that person as a botter and naming names is against our rules. Just a reminder :)

Pah, not naming names should be against our rules. The people must know!

O.O

maybe this picture will be allowed

botbotbotgiggle.png

this guy logged into edge bank while i was there minding my own business. I don't know him in any way. He said he had never botted (i'm ambivilent on whether I believe him). He also said he canceled his membership (he was in edge talking crap forever), and was leaving forever for wow.

This was interesting to see....

lvlresetglitch.png

Lvl 67 with a fishing skillcape on, but his fishing lvl has been reset to 1. He said he still has the hood, but can't equip it, only reason he has the cape on is that he logged out with it equipped.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Sooner or later, every bot will have their levels erased... :rolleyes:

Now, Jagex needs to modify more areas weekly, like the wilderness ditch and LRC portal.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Has any one seen combat levels being knocked back? 'Cos i mean all i've personally seen is the odd skill... but the majority of Bots are gold farmers, that Kill for the money etc And seeing Level 3's taking on level 89 Green dragons would be a nice thing to see

koolcookie0.png

Goals: 15m Slayer xp | 85 Herblore | 75+ All Stats | Chaotic Rapier | 125k/200k Tokens