Jagex's new bot punishment: Level resetting

The_Gabe

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo, if you bot a lot, perm ip ban for ever.

also perm ip ban for every ip within 10m of that ip.

if you bot a little. acount ban/mute for 1 week to a year (depending on how much botting etc)

botting a difrent acount beocuse of this/at the same time = botting a lot = perm ip ban.

if your a gold farmer, perm ip ban for you and every computer within 100m. no apeals, ever.

its harsh. probably too harsh. but is it even close to the scale of 2007 anti bot mesures?

it would suck, a lot, if you got banned by mistake. but i feal it might just be worth it.

in the mean time, jagex should remake all the old skills. and i dont mean adding effegiys here and fish flingers there. total remake of the system.

its no wonder people bot when wood cutting is just clicking an object and waiting until you finish cutting it... over 9000 times...

not to mention thats the type of activeity that bots can do with the least progeming.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

if you bot a little. acount ban/mute for 1 week to a year (depending on how much botting etc)

botting a difrent acount beocuse of this/at the same time = botting a lot = perm ip ban.

if your a gold farmer, perm ip ban for you and every computer within 100m. no apeals, ever.

its harsh. probably too harsh. but is it even close to the scale of 2007 anti bot mesures?

it would suck, a lot, if you got banned by mistake. but i feal it might just be worth it.

in the mean time, jagex should remake all the old skills. and i dont mean adding effegiys here and fish flingers there. total remake of the system.

its no wonder people bot when wood cutting is just clicking an object and waiting until you finish cutting it... over 9000 times...

not to mention thats the type of activeity that bots can do with the least progeming.

So if you live near a sweatshop with goldfarmers you automatically get banned? And if you live in a small apartment and your neighbour(s) bot your IP gets blocked?

I know the last one was a bit exaggerated, but you get the point.

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

The people who bot are still getting their permanent bans as usual.

You wish.

I don't need to wish since I know they do.

Only a very small percentage of botters are caught and only an even smaller percentage receive a ban.

And that's not enough to me to agree with botters being permanently banned.

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

Good in the sense that Jagex is going to "nail" those macroers.

Since now-a-days buying items isn't possible (like $5 for Santa Hat) because of the trade limit, macroers have to resort to training for money (50 levels for $10, for example). Account selling is still possible.

Bad in the sense that innocent players could be punished.

Also bad is the players who play many hours daily can be punished as macros, which Jagex assumes they are macroing since they play so long. *This can be good, it might get the players to not play as long, or make them quit

Bad in the sense also, that although levels may be reset, bots can "easily" reobtain the lost levels (as they are bots, or humans with slave labor conditions). And the items kept will not disappear (or do they?); if the items do not disappear, the botting agencies can sell rich accounts to people.

To put it bluntly your suggestions are crap. Do not try to think of solutions when you have no idea how the technologies behind your suggestions work.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

I'm pretty sure this happened to an old TIF member years ago (can't remember his name) after he macroed. Instead of taking his account away, he just lost his stats.

Personally, I feel this is a pretty just way to handle people who macro rather than outright banning them. However, if a person wasn't a chronic macroer (like they just used it a few times but otherwise earned their XP legitimately), I think they should just get a level reduction rather than a full reset. It's bad enough so they learn their mistake, but it's not severe enough to unnecessarily ruin a person's entertainment.

XxCavalierxX was the TIFer you are (likely) referring to. An update in May 2002 banned around 3k players for botting with a very popular program; Cavalier's defense was he just used the program for one day to see how players moved while using the program so he could report offenders to Jagex. IIRC he had 99 cooking and some other cool stats, yet he got wiped completely.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

I'm pretty sure this happened to an old TIF member years ago (can't remember his name) after he macroed. Instead of taking his account away, he just lost his stats.

Personally, I feel this is a pretty just way to handle people who macro rather than outright banning them. However, if a person wasn't a chronic macroer (like they just used it a few times but otherwise earned their XP legitimately), I think they should just get a level reduction rather than a full reset. It's bad enough so they learn their mistake, but it's not severe enough to unnecessarily ruin a person's entertainment.

XxCavalierxX was the TIFer you are (likely) referring to. An update in May 2002 banned around 3k players for botting with a very popular program; Cavalier's defense was he just used the program for one day to see how players moved while using the program so he could report offenders to Jagex. IIRC he had 99 cooking and some other cool stats, yet he got wiped completely.

Was a real bad day for Cav. Those who knew him know that he wasn't a botter. For example when he was levelling 99 cooking you could always chat with him by edgeville bank. He had a nice Runescape website etc.. Of course in retrospect it was a bad idea to use the bot, even to see how the bot worked. Never doubted he used bots to get to where he did.

I'm sure if he wasn't stat reset he would still be a big figure in the game now in 2010, no doubt!

But yeah lots of people got reset a long time ago so its not really a new strategy Jagex are using.

They just don't want to lose customers I guess.

And THAT is why your IP banning suggestion doesn't work.

If it was individual IP's, maybe. But this would still be harsh especially for those that use VPNs.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I had "fun" dealing with a guy at the Al Kharid Warriors while trying to get a court summons... The guy kept running around attacking the warriors if its within its camera angle/click range/whatever system they use to do that stuff. Finally it got to a point where I actually managed to herd a warrior into the corner behind the stairs in the main portion of the Al Kharid Palace. The bot comes running for that warrior, and then wham! Ends up going up the stairs because the bot was directly behind the stairs. :lol: Unfortunately the bot came back downstairs later after about a good ten to fifteen minutes, so I guess the owner just happened to appear and realized oh crap. :shame:

Back on topic though...

I really hope this isn't the new punishment for explicit bots. I can see level resets happening with characters who have a mix of actual play and bot play (with the hope that for the most part the character has its levels gained legitimately [not to say that I condone any level of ), but for actual bots that just gather resources to no end? That just doesn't seem right. The bot doesn't lose anything worthwise in game and is only set back the amount of time it took to get to a certain level. It will still continue to go right back to leveling again to get back to what its intended purpose was, whether it'd be gather green dragon hide, fishing for lobsters/shark/etc., mining, whatever it is. :|

JAgex should change the name of botters to a series of name indicating clearly that the player was caught botting for a month.

I.E. they reserve the series of name : botter xxxxxxx and change the botter's name to the next numerical value when they catch one.

Second offence would be to disable trading and use of G.E. for a 3 month period.

Third offence would be to be put in the yanille cage and have to unlock the cage but instead of having 3 locks to get out, you have 250 locks to do before you can get back to your usual bot training.

Harsh and entertaining.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Good in the sense that Jagex is going to "nail" those macroers.

Since now-a-days buying items isn't possible (like $5 for Santa Hat) because of the trade limit, macroers have to resort to training for money (50 levels for $10, for example). Account selling is still possible.

Bad in the sense that innocent players could be punished.

Also bad is the players who play many hours daily can be punished as macros, which Jagex assumes they are macroing since they play so long. *This can be good, it might get the players to not play as long, or make them quit

Bad in the sense also, that although levels may be reset, bots can "easily" reobtain the lost levels (as they are bots, or humans with slave labor conditions). And the items kept will not disappear (or do they?); if the items do not disappear, the botting agencies can sell rich accounts to people.

From your use of the $, then why not make it possible to pay extra for botting. Like 20$ to achieve a certain amount of xp. It takes a really long time to 99 any skill and I'm sure I'll get tired of the game before I do that in any skill. I know it wouldn't ever work and the botters wouldn't pay anyway, but something to make it a little easier. But then you just lose other benefits like skill cape til' you achieve the 99 amount of xp by hard work. Something.. Idk.. lol..

Third offence would be to be put in the yanille cage and have to unlock the cage but instead of having 3 locks to get out, you have 250 locks to do before you can get back to your usual bot training.

They'd make a bot for that.

Was my first thought too when I read that one.. Haven't read much about it, but did the black hole get removed from RS or just the ability to come and visit?

demesterio.png

I'm an avid user of the RuneScape Forums myself, and I've certainly seen a mass amount of threads in which people are talking about some of their stats getting reset. Now, I obviously can't prove this, but my theory is that Jagex are telling players to report this as a bug, and after they report it, Jagex bans them for macroing.

I've noticed a few times that people that have posted these threads and submitted a bug report end up banned.

psychologist-1.png

Um... If jagex reset there stats, wouldn't they already know who they are?

Not if they have some sort of system automatically reset the stats.

If they had that system, they could just as easily make it automatically ban.

That's true, but being that it's a system, there's always a possibility for error.

psychologist-1.png

Um... If jagex reset there stats, wouldn't they already know who they are?

Not if they have some sort of system automatically reset the stats.

If they had that system, they could just as easily make it automatically ban.

That's true, but being that it's a system, there's always a possibility for error.

Ugh, yea... And making them post of the forums somehow reduces this possibility for error?

O.O

This sounds like an administrative nightmare. I dont see why they would ever do this. They can ban people, it works and this is such a sensitive subject I dont think they would modify what works.

@peterfisher

~ Proud member of Mystic Chaos~

This seems like it wouldn't be as efficient as simply banning the bots. Because the bots can just start botting again and level up again...

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Reset their levels, they still have all their items. In fact, they would also have all their quest progress, so this would make people want to get caught botting, so they can train a "1 defence turmoil pure" or something of that nature. However, if they do reset their bank and quest progress, along with their levels, wouldn't it just be simpler to BAN them?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000