Limewire shut down

Sam

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1324487/LimeWire-shut-Victory-record-industry-U-S-court-closes-file-sharing-site.html

Limewire, one of the world's biggest file-sharing websites, has been shut down by a US judge after a four-year legal battle.

In a huge victory for the record industry, New York District Judge Kimba Wood issued a permanent injunction, ordering the service to stop supplying its software and to block the sharing of unauthorised files.

The 17-page ruling requires LimeWire to 'disable the searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality, and/or all functionality of the software.'

The decision puts an end to one of the world's biggest services for allowing consumers to share music, movies and TV shows for free over the internet.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which filed the copyright complaint against Lime Wire and its founder Mark Gorton in 2007, will now seek damages that could easily top $1billion.

RIAA lawyers told the judge that LimeWire cost the record labels about $500 million a month in lost revenue by helping users swop more than 3 billion songs a month.

They claimed Limewire's software had been downloaded from the pirates' site more than 200 million times, and 98.8 per cent of download requests were for unauthorised files.

They described Limewire's actions as "rampant" copyright infringement on a "massive scale".

LimeWire has said it has more than 50 million monthly users. These users accounted for 58 percent of people who said they downloaded music from a peer-to-peer service in 2009, a survey by NPD Group showed.

As technology and broadband speeds have improved, LimeWire has also been used to illegally share movies and popular TV shows, attracting criticism from Hollywood as well. The RIAA said in a statement: 'For the better part of the last decade, Limewire and Gorton have violated the law.

'The court has now signed an injunction that will start to unwind the massive piracy machine that Lime Wire and Gorton used to enrich themselves immensely.'

The RIAA's legal action was backed by major record labels including Arista, Atlantic, Capitol, Elektra, Interscope, Motown, Sony and Warner. LimeWires fall from grace mirrors the fate of Napster which was forced to start charging for its legal download service after a similar ruling. LimeWire's software was released 10 years ago and quickly emerged as one of the favorite ways to pass pirated music across the Web. Gorton and his company have acknowledged making millions from offering the service.

Lime Wire continues to exist but no longer operates as a file-sharing service, a spokesperson said.

A Lime Wire spokesperson said in a statement: 'While this is not our ideal path, we look forward to embracing necessary changes and collaborating with the entire music industry in the future.'

Many alternative file-sharing programmes and networks are still available. In the injunction, software such as FrostWire, MP3Rocket, and BitTorrent clients including uTorrent are described as 'similar' and could become the record companies' next target. BitTorrent has emerged over the last few years as an even more popular way to share files than Limewire. It operates on the Gnutella network which has not been affected by the ruling. Meanwhile, the Swedish Appeal Court in Stockholm is due to announce on November 26 whether or not Swedish file sharing website Pirate Bay is guilty of copyright infringement. Pirate Bay's legal defence is that its owners were not guilty of breaking any copyright infringement laws because their website did not host any copyrighted material.

What does this mean for pirates everywhere? What do you think?

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used limewire, so it won't effect me. However, I can see many people I know getting pissed over this...

*prepares for many angry people on facebook*

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Limewire was basically a virus downloading system. I haven't used it in a long, long time. It does set a bit of a worrying precedent, though. Limewire is used for copyrighted materials! Lets shut it down! Bittorrent is used for copyrighted materials! Lets shut it down! Direct downloading is used for copyright materials! Lets shut it down! The internet is used for copyrighted materials! Lets shut it down...

:unsure:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I never used limewire, so it won't effect me.

Do you use any p2p sharing? Then it will affect you.

Let's just hope that the [bleep]ed-up legal system makes it take so long for when they finally do start picking other programs to shut down that the hydra effect takes place. The fact that they're even able to shut down distribution of this product at all is disturbing. I don't understand why it seems like Limewire won't appeal.

hzvjpwS.gif

Oh. Crap. I used limewire alot.... this could be a problem.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

My friend was getting mad because of this.

People actually used limewire? Lol.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Oh. Crap. I used limewire alot.... this could be a problem.

Not that I am endorsing piracy in any way - but really, there are better ways to obtain music.

You could even buy music - what's the point in pirating when you can get many CD's on Amazon for £4/£5?

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

No surprise here. The penalties they face might be extreme, but they did knowingly violate the law. Good fight, pirates.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I haven't used limewire in years.

The thing is, limewire isn't really the source, they just provided the means, people will easily move on and start again. All this does is get record labels money, and nothing more. This decision accomplishes nothing.

Do you think they're really going to be able to wring any money out of them?

If it was me, everything and everyone would just "be lost".

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Limewire sucks so bad, FrostWire is alot better and has the same content.

But whatever who does use any of those? Spotify + Torrents is waaayyy better tbh imho.

According to the RIAA's estimated losses, its fake. That people are downloading songs for 1 Billion doesnt mean they would have purchased the same amount. So the real loss is a lot less...

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Anti-piracy movement is like trying to kill a hydra. Swipe one head off, and two more will grow back. It's a lost fight from the start. But I guess money dictates everything now. Should be interesting to see if they can pull off their bold plans to silence all torrent sites and trackers. My guess is, they'll fail miserably, resulting in a permanent DDOS attack by angry 4channers.

dontfearthereaper2.png

I'm assuming though, that this would set a precedent for shutting down other file-sharing sites, which is worrisome.

That is the biggest issue with this, which is why I'm surprised it's not being talked about more. Instead people are just going "LOL DOESNT AFFECT ME WHO USES LIMEWIRE STILL" (Not just the replies on this thread, but my friends and coworkers as well).

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm assuming though, that this would set a precedent for shutting down other file-sharing sites, which is worrisome.

That is the biggest issue with this, which is why I'm surprised it's not being talked about more. Instead people are just going "LOL DOESNT AFFECT ME WHO USES LIMEWIRE STILL" (Not just the replies on this thread, but my friends and coworkers as well).

The problem is, it is very hard to find an argument for not shutting down more which is why I think a lot of people don't try.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Shame that Limewire was one of only a few that supported Anime,Tv,Foreign type songs that more popular things like iTunes barely even have.

But on the premise of pirating no one really owns a song, 0.99 is the broker fee for a good broker and for free is the charitiy broker who charges an unknown and if nothing cost.

The Good Broker hates the Charity Broker because he is taking 30% of the business and beats him every time he sees him doing his job with a bat causing him to go to the Hospiltal each time having to pay $100s in health bills,

The Broker finally beats the in-debt Charity Broker to death with his bat but due to all the debt the Broker put him in he couldn't get insurance and can't get a coffin or tombstone even a hole dug he is just left on street to rot and no one will do anything because the Broker is the only Broker now and they can't get rid of him because he is the only Broker and no one wants to be a Broker because of what happened to the Charity Broker.