Limewire shut down

Sam

The musicians that spend all of their time fighting piracy really aren't even producing art: it's really just sophisticated marketing schemes devised by the record companies.

Music however, is not really information. And I think that artists should be properly compensated: maybe if record companies are so worried about it, they can give some of the money made from sales of clothing and records back to the artists, and the artists can work to develop new ways to make money.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Information should never be restricted.

Good thing music is a product, not information.

Limewire didn't just facilitate the transfer of music.

The same way Bittorent doesn't facilitate transfer of copyrighted material? I'm certainly not saying that the medium is to blame, but we all know what's going on here.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Music and other media give us context, share ideas, effectively give us and a deeper understanding of the world and of each other. That should not be limited.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

Haven't used Limewire in years, even back then I knew it was [cabbage].

I used to spend a lot of money on CDs/gig tickets when I worked full time and had the spare cash to do so. Now I don't have a job so I'd rather use my cash to buy tickets to their concerts as I can get the album for free via torrents or whatever.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Good riddance. The law wins again :thumbup: It's unlikely that the Limewire owners will lose any money out of this though, unless they were the ones uploading illegal material. Though, the law is weird in the US, so who knows?

Hopefully this leads to many more pirating sites/programs being closed.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

While this will be a problem for other sites, nothing will actually change in terms of stopping piracy. You shut one down, more pop up, most of which are underground.

Hell, IRC is still infested with places to get almost anything and the RIAA hasn't even tried attacking servers that allow the distribution of copyright material.

Basically, they're getting "filthy rich" while losing the battle. So I don't see them stopping. Way too profitable for them to just give up.

Good riddance. The law wins again :thumbup: It's unlikely that the Limewire owners will lose any money out of this though, unless they were the ones uploading illegal material. Though, the law is weird in the US, so who knows?

While I am 100% ok with pirating, limewire was pretty gay. So I'm glad it shut down for the moment.

While this will be a problem for other sites, nothing will actually change in terms of stopping piracy. You shut one down, more pop up, most of which are underground.

Hell, IRC is still infested with places to get almost anything and the RIAA hasn't even tried attacking servers that allow the distribution of copyright material.

Basically, they're getting "filthy rich" while losing the battle. So I don't see them stopping. Way too profitable for them to just give up.

Wait how would they still make money?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

This is not a good thing for me. I guess I'll just have to ask friends to e-mail me albums and shows and movies that they have instead of getting them from strangers. What I really see as an issue, though, is how much movies, TV shows, and music cost online... digital copies cost absolutely nothing to create. Should I really pay a dollar twenty-five per song?

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

clearly a majority of people everywhere used limewire, one of my friends said he was in india and had his laptop with him and was still able to download songs off limewire. so idk whats up with everyone going "limewire?? whats that? people really use limewire?"

i've used pretty much all of the music downloading clients that have ever existed, there were some before limewire and there is a ton now, (bearshare, spiralfrog, frost, etc) and i've accumulated lots of songs from them and other programs and yes, it was because it was free. you know what else is free, youtube. free to upload and free to download if you have the right programs. i don't understand how they close limewire down and keep youtube, much bigger and comprehensive than limewire, around. this will solve nothing, my friend vixy told me :wink: .

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

Oh no, how will I ever get my files now! It surprises me when I hear people being annoyed that they can't download songs now that Limewire is gone. I feel like they're oblivious to what's out there.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

While I am 100% ok with pirating, limewire was pretty gay. So I'm glad it shut down for the moment.

A computer program with the ability to have sexuality...remarkable.

On a more serious note I'm glad Limewire got shut down, and if the American legal system was practical it would have a crack down on all pirating sites. But alas, this won't happen. Also it would be remarkably difficult to hit all pirating sites, especially one's that just pop up, not to mention international sites, etc.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

This is not a good thing for me. I guess I'll just have to ask friends to e-mail me albums and shows and movies that they have instead of getting them from strangers. What I really see as an issue, though, is how much movies, TV shows, and music cost online... digital copies cost absolutely nothing to create. Should I really pay a dollar twenty-five per song?

What store charges that amount for a song? :s

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

What store charges that amount for a song? :s

iTunes.

Music and other media give us context, share ideas, effectively give us and a deeper understanding of the world and of each other. That should not be limited.

I can understand your view. I'm completely ok with piracy, it's just how the market reacts when the industry isn't satisfying the customer. It's like entropy, you can fight it, but you'll never win. On the other hand, Limewire was a blight on the Internet. Even pirates wanted to lose this site, it tarnished the name of piracy. If anything, the pirates have been done a favour. People will look for and find much cleaner and better services, and the positive experience will only spread it further.

It's funny how these things backfire. It probably cost the authorities a lot of money to take it down too. icon_rolleyes.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

oh noes, no limewire, now where will i get my songs?!!?!?!?

took me 15 minutes to find a new way to get music, without torrents, thats nearly as fast. though it sucks that i cant dl some tv shows in the same way

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

$1 for a song off Itunes. I can listen to that song as much as I want until I lose the file, which I can prevent pretty easily. The average album is around $10, of which the band gets something like $1.20 from what I've read. A physical CD goes for $15, and the band gets maybe $1.40. Not all of the rest goes to the big, evil corporation. Some goes to the people that worked on the album, and in the case of CDs, a chunk goes to the production of the actual physical copy.

Really!

It's a lot better than the good old days, when you bought cassettes or 8-tracks only to have them eaten by your player... so you bought them again... and again.

Nowadays you get a perfect, non-degrading copy of a song for $1. And brats sit around and whine because they don't wanna pay for music.

You want free music? Learn to whistle.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours