Name change

Star_Fox

I don't see how Brian is any better. You'll get called a dog even more. It sounds like the problem here is that you take the insults too seriously - not your name itself. My name is Timothy and you don't see me complaining.

I love my name. I've filled into my personality, and people say I am the embodiment of a Felix.

Clifford is an awesome name though.

Yeah, people seem to say I am the embodiment of a Luke. Really can't imagine myself with a different name.

This is going to sound strange, but I always thought you were a Luke, or a Timothy.

lampost_sig_stark.png

cbf editing my other post.

The other reason I wanted my name changed was to distance myself from the old miserable life I once had, even as an adult. I'm slowly moving forward, step by step and eventually I'll have my name changed - however I think I'll settle with my last name as my mothers maiden name as I almost no features of my dad's side (current last name)

Popoto.~<3

From a Middle Eastern view, it doesn't matter what your surname is or no matter how bad it might sound, that is the name of your patriarch and it is a name to take pride in so it should not be altered. As for a first name, I don't think it has much bearing, it is just to distinguish which person you are in the lineage of *blank*. So in my opinion, a first name is rather insignificant so it shouldn't bear much weight and if it would benefit you then you should change it, but a surname is what you are. Personally I would never change my first and surname names because they are the same as several generations of Ottoman judges/pasha and my middle names are religious exultations.

It's a rather big decision, so whatever you do I hope its the right choice and it makes you happy.

I have to agree with this view. It's not much of a big deal to change your first name, since it's your own and ultimately your own choice. After all, people shorten or alter what they call themselves (I normally call myself Will, although my birth certificate and documents have William on them), and nobody bats an eyelid. Changing your first name entirely is just a bit further along the scale but it's no more objectionable.

On the other hand, changing your last name has serious consequences because it relates to others. The generations before you lived with that name and sharing a last name is a physical way of establishing which family you are related to, even if it's a crude way of doing it. Changing your name severs that link, which must not be taken lightly.

My family has a tradition of keeping with a few choice names for both the middle names and last names of boys. It's pretty much a choice between Antony, Victor, David, Paul, William (which can be varied to Bill), Martin, and Joseph. William was really popular at the time, hence my name being William David Victor (Holmes), my dad being Paul Martin, uncle Antony, grandfather Victor Joseph, great-grandfather David Martin (i think), great-great grandfather Joseph something and so on. It's gone on for about 12 generations now, and it's one of those quirky traditions that I like, so I'll keep my name. If I have a son, he'll probably be called David or Joseph unless one of the funkier names like Victor catches on again.

Also, Clifford is a great name. I don't see the hating, but there's no objections from me if you do change it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Tim, Tim is a great name. I actually have thought about using it as a pseudonym to keep my initials the same.

I was going to say it's wierd that you are still being teased for a name, but today I was called "Thom" ( "th" as in "thanks"). It's not the worst kind of teasing.

Also, Cliff is a great nickname. If you really want to change, what you could do is change your middle name and just go by that name.

Also, Cliff is a great nickname. If you really want to change, what you could do is change your middle name and just go by that name.

People do this a lot

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

I actually really like the name Clifford. Not that it matters that I like it, you can do whatever you want.

I think that you see changing your name as a way to escape who you are. It doesn't work like that though, if people give you [cabbage] now, they'll give you [cabbage] whether or not your name is Clifford. I know people with far worse names than who get on just fine because they don't take [cabbage] from anyone. What you need to do is toughen up and get over it. Hell, almost everyone calls me "Goose" and [cabbage], I've embraced it. And that's a much [cabbage]tier name to go by than Clifford.

In short, if you change your name to avoid getting teased, people will just find something else do give you crap for. Stop taking their [cabbage] and it'll get better.

Edit: That's a lot of cabbage.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

If someone makes fun of your name they're childish, ignore them. Clifford isn't a bad name, most of the Clifford's i know go by Cliff. Hell even a nice restaurant that was near my house had Cliff in it lol. My last name got made fun of in high school, now that i'm in college no one could give a [cabbage] less.

Low_C.png

Oh and don't care if people mock your surname. I personally am extremely proud of mine [shami] and yet people commonly make puns on it, i.e. I'm a sham, shamsham, shamwow, shamalamadingdong, shami like a rag, etc. The vast majority of people are intrinsically stupid so don't let their mockery have any bearing on you.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Saw Kevin Hart live today, his opening act...the guy's name was Na'im Lynn.

Sweet name right? [pronounced "NahhYEEm Lion"]

Well, in highschool he said people called him "NAHHH I'm Lying."

happens to everyone

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

My nickname is Cliff, and it's never been a target for mockery or some sort but I feel like when someone

addresses me by my nickname instead of my real name, it feels like they don't really appreciate the

sound of how my name is. I take it really personal when somebody asks if my name originated

from Clifford the big red dog which my parents have no idea what it is....Although coincidentally

it just happens to be from a childrens' book...

I'm doing lots of research on how to change my name and I'm a little confident on how I can

do it. I knew somebody in Runescape who changed their name irl because people continuously

made fun of him...even in work. I felt as if my name will inevitably always grab some unwanted

addresses like the big red dog and I just don't want that...I am currently in college and so far

most people seem to act like Highschool'ers.....I don't know if you guys are just making excuses

to deter me but I can't stand hearing my name anymore. I haven't told my parents about this

whole situation (since they'll obviously disagree) but in the end, I hope I will choose a more

suitable name for me.

and yet....you use the name "Clifford" as your TIF name [which you now have the option to change as well] and you haven't done so. I feel like you are particularly frustrated at your name at this very moment. By the time you're in college no ones gonna give a rats ass what your name is. Clifford's not taht bad of a name. When introducing yourself, just shorten it to 'Cliff' if if it bothers you that much. My boss's name is Cliff. And I only just now realized that his name is actually Clifford. How 'bout that?

Or just pick a nickname you like. I have nicknames for samn near all my friends. Everyone from 'Babe' to 'D Rock'. 'Goat' to 'Boobs'. And finshing off my funny nickname list with 'Boner'. In fact I have one friend who's name is Devin, but he nicknamed himself Randy. Cause why not?

Dont go off legally changing your name. It's a lot of hassle, for a problem that you're very likely to just grow out of. People pick on my name [Dan] all the time. It happens no matter how 'normal' or 'common' your name is.

tl;dr:

s'all good brah. just roll wit' it.

I changed my name to Clifford252 so everyone can recognize that it used to be my old rs acc name until I got it changed. It's also to

find forgotten friends in this forum so they could add me again.

I'm gonna be very frank here. IMO college is exactly like in Highschool. I still get the same [cabbage]load of work I have to do,

everybody still talks, acts, and dresses like normal highschool'ers. I don't see much change in their attitude and

even some still haven't left their child'ish behaviors. Judging this, i am predicting that someone will eventually make

fun of my name...as usual.

I honestly don't like "Cliff" either since it sounds too blunt. I always wanted to have a nickname that was unique

and attractive.

I mean you could have it worse, one of my friends' name is Darth because of his father's massive love of Star Wars.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I mean you could have it worse, one of my friends' name is Darth because of his father's massive love of Star Wars.

Oh god, I hate it when parents do that. Give your dog a stupid name, not your kid :(

I still maintain what I said before - if people want to make fun of you they'll find another way to do it. You seem to have already made up your mind, however...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Oh god, I hate it when parents do that. Give your dog a stupid name, not your kid :(

That may have been the worst possible statement for this thread.

I've never seriously considered changing my name, but my mom always said she wanted to name me "Jack". That's an awesome name, but my granddad gave her [cabbage] for it because my grandmother's boss's name was Jack and it was funny or something, I don't know. At this point I mostly go by my last name anyway. It's not that I dislike my first name, it's that my friends have decided that it fits better. I'm at the point where anyone using my first name just sounds weird.

I would say to go by Cliff, since that sounds awesome, but if you don't like it then whatever. That ending "ffffff" sound is pretty great.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

My nickname is Cliff, and it's never been a target for mockery or some sort but I feel like when someone

addresses me by my nickname instead of my real name, it feels like they don't really appreciate the

sound of how my name is. I take it really personal when somebody asks if my name originated

from Clifford the big red dog which my parents have no idea what it is....Although coincidentally

it just happens to be from a childrens' book...

I'm doing lots of research on how to change my name and I'm a little confident on how I can

do it. I knew somebody in Runescape who changed their name irl because people continuously

made fun of him...even in work. I felt as if my name will inevitably always grab some unwanted

addresses like the big red dog and I just don't want that...I am currently in college and so far

most people seem to act like Highschool'ers.....I don't know if you guys are just making excuses

to deter me but I can't stand hearing my name anymore. I haven't told my parents about this

whole situation (since they'll obviously disagree) but in the end, I hope I will choose a more

suitable name for me.

and yet....you use the name "Clifford" as your TIF name [which you now have the option to change as well] and you haven't done so. I feel like you are particularly frustrated at your name at this very moment. By the time you're in college no ones gonna give a rats ass what your name is. Clifford's not taht bad of a name. When introducing yourself, just shorten it to 'Cliff' if if it bothers you that much. My boss's name is Cliff. And I only just now realized that his name is actually Clifford. How 'bout that?

Or just pick a nickname you like. I have nicknames for samn near all my friends. Everyone from 'Babe' to 'D Rock'. 'Goat' to 'Boobs'. And finshing off my funny nickname list with 'Boner'. In fact I have one friend who's name is Devin, but he nicknamed himself Randy. Cause why not?

Dont go off legally changing your name. It's a lot of hassle, for a problem that you're very likely to just grow out of. People pick on my name [Dan] all the time. It happens no matter how 'normal' or 'common' your name is.

tl;dr:

s'all good brah. just roll wit' it.

I changed my name to Clifford252 so everyone can recognize that it used to be my old rs acc name until I got it changed. It's also to

find forgotten friends in this forum so they could add me again.

I'm gonna be very frank here. IMO college is exactly like in Highschool. I still get the same [cabbage]load of work I have to do,

everybody still talks, acts, and dresses like normal highschool'ers. I don't see much change in their attitude and

even some still haven't left their child'ish behaviors. Judging this, i am predicting that someone will eventually make

fun of my name...as usual.

I honestly don't like "Cliff" either since it sounds too blunt. I always wanted to have a nickname that was unique

and attractive.

My guess is you go to community college, cause I'm at a commuter school, and you're lucky if you even see another person to talk to, let alone make fun of. If you don't dig "Cliff" there's tons of other nicknames to choose from. You could derive it from your surname, if you really want. I think this is more about your esteem than your name itself. And changing your name isn't going to help you in that field.

Also, I'd like to add that 'Darth' is a sick ass name.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I've had my name changed.

Okay so it's not actually that big of a deal. My dad made a mistake while writing my middle name on the form-thing that you give to the hospital or government or whatever, he wrote a name that was very similar, and my mom was like, weren't you going to name him after his uncle? (Ironically it was my dad's brother I was being named after.) I actually only found out this earlier this year I think, didn't exactly come as a shock. Because I don't like search engines making connections with various accounts and my real name, (Although it's probably too late now), first my middle name was the same as a famous astrophysicist, and then a famous computer company CEO (His full first name, not what you read in the newspaper), just with an "fa" instead of a "ve".

But my middle name is actually the most normal of them all. My last name is often misread where I live, because when my great great (a few more greats in there, whatever) grandfather immigrated to America he changed an ø to an o to make it a bit easier for English speakers to pronounce, The original name is not so uncommon here, except for with the Americanized spelling which I have the distinct pleasure of having.

My first name, however, is very weird. Nobody here can pronounce it. Again, the search engine thing, so let's just say that people usually mispronounce it DAY-vees or DAH-vees. (Stress on the capital letters, ee as in "EEK!", all S's as in "snake", not "these") I was reasonably cool with it for a while, although I usually asked people to at least use the first pronunciation mentioned, but eventually I had enough, and started correcting people. The problem is really that people here couldn't pronounce I as in "is" to save their lives. Still nobody can pronounce my name, and every time my name comes up on the list for a new teacher, my class laughs (And it's not the first time that people have annoyed me about my first name either). So I know where you're coming from, even if you don't get that feeling from my post.

But seriously, the more I read through this thread, the more awesome "Clifford" sounds. Yeah, that's about all I can say.

C2b6gs7.png

To be honest, I've been considering changing my first name for a while. I know I'm still too young for that and my parents would probably never agree, but damn it, no one can pronounce it properly. I've come to a point where I just hate introducing myself by name and I sometimes just give people the wrong pronunciation right off the bat because I can't be bothered correcting them a million times. It has nothing to do with people making fun of me, it's the simple fact no one can pronounce it. It really bothers me. May sound childish, but yeah...

then a famous computer company CEO (His full first name, not what you read in the newspaper), just with an "fa" instead of a "ve".

Wilfam?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

The people you know are probably just teasing you, i find it hard to believe people would behave too maliciously just based on someones name

99 Fletching - 01/08/08

99 Theiving - 09/11/08

99 Cooking - 12/13/08

99 Runecrafting - 10/23/09

99 Strength - 05/07/10