Celestial surgebox

sumondskull6

You cannot honestly say crafting laws takes longer than crafting combat runes... though you're right about the c1 thing.

As for binding a staff, empowered fire if you're lazy, celestial/empowered catalytic if you're not (though that's been stated above already).

It has nothing to do with laziness. If you don't bind a fire staff, there is NO WAY you should have the spare time to make a giant pile of fire runes. The point of this thing is to make maging effective without wasting time on it.

Of course, I'm still against binding a staff at all. Seems like a waste of a bind when you can just mage without one.

I agree, unless you're 120 dungeoneering and you can have hood + 2h/primal battleaxe + torso armor of your choice + staff bound.

Or neck, hex, etc.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binding problems with the surgebox are fixed now. It only takes ammo slot now, no matter what.

That's great news. I'm pretty impressed with Jagex. Such a tiny little change that helps a LOT.

Makes me happy, though I haven't seen a surgebox yet </3

I used to have a celestial staff bound, and it was definitely annoying (not only for me, but for my teammates) to have to stop to make runes. Took forever. :/

Ya, I'm not sure what bind now, since I basically picked back up +1 from the box fix.

1) I could bind a celestial cat staff, which would give me 30% on air surge at the start dealing 286 damage (basically a free fire surge without fire runes). If I made fire runes and used fire surge it would boost up to 364. But making fire runes is time consuming and the spells use them up very quickly.

2) I could bind a empowered fire staff. Excellent for alching, and the 10% bonus would give me an instant firewaves, hitting 308's at the start of the round. But emp-fire staves are not hard to make as you usually find at least one Entang, Corp, or gravecreeper in the first 3 or so rooms.

3) I could rebind my melee weapon to hybrid melee again and simply use magic on warriors. This would likely be the best option, so i'm not stuck with one combat type again. I really wanted to bind a Primal Long @ 95 anyways, so this would be ideal for me. The only issue is having to make a firestaff every map, which is not too hard, just annoying.

I would likely go with number 3, as it makes me slightly more versatile, but not 100% sure yet. Either way, I am VERY happy with the decision they made on this.

3 is probably the best, though if I ever see a celestial cat staff I'm might bind it.... although a melee weapon is probably more useful. Lol, wonder if it'd be worth getting 80rc for easy making of empowered fire staffs...

Lol tank ring...

Surge box is decent with people without 77 rc or w/e, but with it you might as well bind laws to eliminate hassle and speed up c1s.

Hah! Do you have 77rc? If you want to mage, it's nice to NOT have to make a crapload of runes each dungeon for surge. 77 rc with wave maybe.... (Yes I do have 77rc)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

3 is probably the best, though if I ever see a celestial cat staff I'm might bind it.... although a melee weapon is probably more useful. Lol, wonder if it'd be worth getting 80rc for easy making of empowered fire staffs...

Get empowered fire staffs from c1s.

Or get rc/fletch up so you can use that bind slot on something better.

If Jagex implemented the "extra damage" thing with magic boxes within the dungeons, then they need to do something to boost range str of arrows. Make sagit arrows +120 range str or something, and adjust all other arrows accordingly.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

If Jagex implemented the "extra damage" thing with magic boxes within the dungeons, then they need to do something to boost range str of arrows. Make sagit arrows +120 range str or something, and adjust all other arrows accordingly.

Agreed. Hell, even if they didn't give surge boxes a bonus, ranged just isn't strong enough to be viable anywhere. The only monsters it hits well on are already fairly weak to melee, giving it no niche. It needs to hit at least 450s with 99 and saggi arrows to be worth using.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Or make mages/necromancers all have extremely high melee def comparable to those of warriors.

Mage-based bosses already have tricks to counter pure-meleers (Astea/protect prayers, Geomancer/binds, Lexicus/deflect damage, Necrolord/can't melee), and even the mages/necromancers themselves can bind you to the spot, so why not add some extra niche to them?

Though, as stated, buffing up ranged to make it hit 400+ consistently is the only ultimate solution to fix ranged in dg.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I really don't get dung.

Melee for example is buffed immesely in DG due to insanely powerful weapons, 1 tick faster 2hs and the like. While ranged by comparison is shat upon and is significantly worse than the normal ranged, i mean T11 arrows are what, the strength of rune?

O.O

The only good outcome of ranged is the immense accuracy of bows in dung, but even then, melee has on-par accuracy, and the speed of ranging doesn't make up for the weakened arrows :\

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Get empowered fire staffs from c1s.

Hence why I said I was thinking of 80 RC in the FIRST place. If I need to raise my fletching for it I'd probably do that too. But I still need a surge box, although I'm not dg'ing 'till 99 mage....1 level :P

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Or make mages/necromancers all have extremely high melee def comparable to those of warriors.

Mage-based bosses already have tricks to counter pure-meleers (Astea/protect prayers, Geomancer/binds, Lexicus/deflect damage, Necrolord/can't melee), and even the mages/necromancers themselves can bind you to the spot, so why not add some extra niche to them?

Though, as stated, buffing up ranged to make it hit 400+ consistently is the only ultimate solution to fix ranged in dg.

I'm not so sure about that. Sag arrows+Shortbow have pretty comparable DPS to a P2H on NPC's that have 0 defense. Remember that Shortbows hit up to +7 speed on rapid (Rapier is +6). Desperado also helps kick up that DPS.

The problem is there are hardly any NPC's in dungeon with 0 or negative ranged defense, which makes ranging pointless without the high DPS of a hexhunter bow. Even mage NPC's have a fairly moderate ranged defense. Longbows are super-accurate, but much to slow.

A better solution in my opinion, would be to make it so mages, undead mages, and necros can bind you even through magic prayer, much like they do with curses. This makes ranging them almost mandatory since you would be unable to attack the majority of the time with melee. I would prefer a situational use for range like this opposed to boosting DPS on ranged. The problem with boosting the ranged DPS is that something will ALWAYS be better dps than something else in dung, and because of that everyone will always stick to 1 combat type. The only way to flash out the need for all 3 combat styles in dungeon is to make it so you pretty much have to change combat types or risk spending lots of time unable to land hits.

-Range should rip magers. Melee shouldn't be able to touch them.

-Magic should rip melee'ers. Range can't touch them.

-Melee should rip rangers, Mage's cant touch them.

Also a nice thing would be a change to all the ranged rings, so that if a raged ring is being used it acts like an accumulator. 50% chance for ammo retrieval @ tier 1, and +5% each tier to 95% chance at tier 10. Perhaps a small chance to replicate ammo every shot as well.

Even if mages could bind through prayer, it still wouldn't be hard for a mob of 3-5 meleers to clobber a mage. The problem is simply that their melee def is about the same as their ranged def, and melee hits a lot higher. There's literally no reason to bother ranging them- I used to do it when I was a lower dungeoneering level before realizing that I just wasn't hitting that well despite my combat type advantage.

I don't see boosting ranged DPS as a problem at all, because there are still enemies that are quite good about resisting ranged attacks; namely, most melee and ranged monsters. You'd still want a 2h around to kill the hoards of skeletons and zombies, and warriors if you don't have a mage (ranged is unsurprisingly completely pointless on them). Ranged could just become the picking off low levels and mages class, which I see no problem with considering it actually takes ammo to use, unlike melee. It would be a lot more fair than having it cost more than melee and still be completely ineffective for all situations.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

So today I stumbled upon a surgebox and decided to try it out. My impression right now is that it either has some serious glitches or it just fails. I charged it with runes for 125 air surges, no problems. I start a new dungeon and now it says it has 125 air waves. Huh? So I say change back to surges. Now it says there are 0 surges. :-| And while it had wave charges, even when I had fire runes, I wasn't able to cast fire wave. Earth runes worked fine, but it didn't seem to recognize everything for fire. Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point.

Eternis.png

So today I stumbled upon a surgebox and decided to try it out. My impression right now is that it either has some serious glitches or it just fails. I charged it with runes for 125 air surges, no problems. I start a new dungeon and now it says it has 125 air waves. Huh? So I say change back to surges. Now it says there are 0 surges. :-| And while it had wave charges, even when I had fire runes, I wasn't able to cast fire wave. Earth runes worked fine, but it didn't seem to recognize everything for fire. Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point.

Sounds like some sort of bug, but try this and see if it fixes it:

1) Empty out the whole box during a floor so it has 0 cast charges in it.

2) Make sure the box is switched to the surge option, and not the wave option. (Switching these options will make your ammo 0 next round I believe if there is partial ammo in it, which is why you should empty it on the floor first)

3) Make 125+ surge casts and put them in the box.

4) Leave the floor

5) Start a new floor, and if the box has 0 casts, charge it up with 125 surges again, and Leave & restart the floor. It should then read the surge casts as normal next floor you start.

Note: Remember the box only casts as charges, so you can't use wave spells and surges spells at the same time.

If that doesn't work, send in a bug report.

Eh? Mines woked perfectly since day 1 :unsure:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png