I wish Runescape Christmas events was worth looking forward to

Dire_Wolf

I used to play a game called Legend of Mir: three heroes. It was a Korean game, i played on the servers for the European community. Anyhow, this game once had a Christmas event that was so magical. By magical i mean it was very joyful and exiciting.

Now before i continue, i like many things by Runescape. But there are sides of it that i don't like and i choose to tell my view of it.

The Christmas event in Legend of mir was like this; there was Christmas trees across all of the lands in the game. You hit the trees (takes 6 secs), and the tree would drop you presents and icicle. The icicle was a offensive item used in "light slot". The present could contain great items. It could be a cheap item to a GREAT item.

The event was really exiciting and magical. Because it lasted as long as Christmas lasted. And just like Christmas, you got presents, this was the same thing. Only Santa didn't deliver the presents, the trees did. And speaking of those trees, here i barely found a picture of the trees:

2212159065_3e988377e9.jpg

The picture is from a privat server (the snow on ground is just private server fix)

This kind of event is fun. You may say that everyone one will get rich as hell, and game will be filled with tons of items. And i agree, everyone should not get items that easily, but Jagex should at least consider to make Christmas eve magical. Rather a quest, and a item reward that aren't really so "magical".

Jagex can make the odds to get presents low, and odds to get good items high or vise versa. This way players can "hunt down trees" or whatever Jagex's version of Christmas trees are, and get presents and hopefully a good item.

The items can be the ones we have, such as Armadyl, rune items, coins, Bandos items, and so on. Or it can be Christmas exclusive items (around 10+ of them). If Jagex chooses for example Christmas exclusive items, they should make the way to get them as magnificiant as possible, with nice decorations and simple tasks. Such as hitting a beautiful Christmas tree.

And here's a small suggestion: Let's say the 10+ Christmas items takes alot of effort to get them right? Not everyone will get the ALL items, and this will make the items more fun to have in posession. And also Jagex can make it so you can ONLY at Christmas eve be able to "Give X holiday item" as gift to a friend. And you will have X percentage chance of also getting another of the item you gave away.

SHORT SAID:

Make Christmas eve/event magical Jagex. Enough with these "Quests". Make a simple event with beautiful enviroment. And add many rewards, that takes REAL effort to get.

I totally agree, all events in runescape has become set aside, i want more soul in these events. and maybe especially the christmas!

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

I agree that Holiday quests are getting stale.

IMO, they could dispense with them and just sprinkle in eye candy across the game for a few weeks.

All the bars could sell egg nog.

Dress up the shopkeepers in santa hats.

Place a few trees in town squares around Gielinor (like the one in Varrock Square a few years back).

Hang a few wreaths.

Strings of colored lanterns over Ardougne market.

You can go on and on.

It would give the developers something festive to do and would do a lot more to spread the holiday spirit than the current obligatory seasonal event.

Probably too late for this year, though.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

You know what i liked, but that i didn't do? At one Christmas event you could make hats for snowmans. That i liked :thumbsup: And Mister moocky, even a simple event can be a great event if you plan it right.

For example (And this is just a example). Here is a suggestion i tried to come up with but didn't publish in suggestion forum.

Concept (is that right term?):

Christmas penguins

30 Christmas penguins that will replace the usual penguins in the week of Christmas eve. They will be spread everywhere in Runescape.

Your goal: Find them. If you find them, they give you a present. The present has chance of all sort of items, but fairly low odds.

+ Other activities of Christmas (Usual old quest with item, Snowmans and snow ball throwing)

Why should jagex work hard for a event that will last 1-2weeks instead of for an update that can provide something for us to do forever.

There is over 150,000 Runescape players. Surely few of them can come up with a suggestion for a nice Christmas event, that is simple (little work for developers) and great at same time.

You know what i liked, but that i didn't do? At one Christmas event you could make hats for snowmans. That i liked :thumbsup: And Mister moocky, even a simple event can be a great event if you plan it right.

For example (And this is just a example). Here is a suggestion i tried to come up with but didn't publish in suggestion forum.

Concept (is that right term?):

Christmas penguins

30 Christmas penguins that will replace the usual penguins in the week of Christmas eve. They will be spread everywhere in Runescape.

Your goal: Find them. If you find them, they give you a present. The present has chance of all sort of items, but fairly low odds.

+ Other activities of Christmas (Usual old quest with item, Snowmans and snow ball throwing)

Why should jagex work hard for a event that will last 1-2weeks instead of for an update that can provide something for us to do forever.

There is over 150,000 Runescape players. Surely few of them can come up with a suggestion for a nice Christmas event, that is simple (little work for developers) and great at same time.

I don't find that any more 'magical' than anything else.

The thing is that the impression a piece of content leaves on someone is highly subjective. Lots of people like the holiday events. Lots of people don't. They're not going to please everyone, not on this. It's impossible. Whether or not you're content with something like this lies too much within the individual. Holiday events were never going to create long-lasting content, so that's already disappointing most of the older players who have been waiting years for a certain piece of content. They're usually graphically stunning, but not a lot of people will appreciate that, so that cuts out a portion of the population again. They usually have a cute story, but people may not like a story, so that cuts out even more...

You're going to get what you're going to get out of these things. If you don't like them, your world won't be shattered. If you want them to be more magical, perhaps suspend your disbelief a bit more to truly enjoy the environments they create. Or of that's too much, just ignore them altogether. They're really not that significant.

hzvjpwS.gif

That was just a poorly thought example. As for events, yes, there is always a story. But if you want to appreciate a story, why not hit the library? Whether that be real life library or Varrock library...

By graphically stunning, you mean nice graphics items right? If so, how is a "carrot", a spider, or squirrels graphically nice looking? You wanna know what's magical? Prayer emotion is. Not a mediocre emote just like most of the usual emotes.

And even if something is not made to last, does not mean you can't TRY to make a simple and fun event, worthy of being remembered.

Another example of a magical thing that is in the game:

Penguins

They change the theme according to the holiday. It looks great.

That was just a poorly thought example. As for events, yes, there is always a story. But if you want to appreciate a story, why not hit the library? Whether that be real life library or Varrock library...

Sorry, why are you doing quests if you're not paying attention to the story? Furthermore, why are you complaining about the lack of ''magic'' if you're not bothering to pay attention to the story?

By graphically stunning, you mean nice graphics items right? If so, how is a "carrot", a spider, or squirrels graphically nice looking? You wanna know what's magical? Prayer emotion is. Not a mediocre emote just like most of the usual emotes.

I'm talking about the environments. Why would I be talking about how the reward looks when it's only a 1/5th of the entire event?

And even if something is not made to last, does not mean you can't TRY to make a simple and fun event, worthy of being remembered.

They try to every year. They succeed for the most part. As I've explained exhaustively before, you're not going to please everyone.

Another example of a magical thing that is in the game:

Penguins

They change the theme according to the holiday. It looks great.

They change scenery around for holiday events. I don't believe it started with penguins. They've done so for the past two years. What exactly are you driving at? And again, I don't personally find that 'magical'. Again, can't please everyone. I don't know of how many different ways to say that.

hzvjpwS.gif

I used to play knight online, and they had similar xmas events where the trees would sometimes drop EPIC items, like, the highest tier items in the game.

IMO its was really unfair. Though i did manage to get 3-4 raptors (like, godsword/whip equavalent), these events should not be about the items you get.

O.O

Meh, who really cares about such trivial content :\

I prefer holiday events the way they are. Fast, easy, with a nice cosmetic reward at the end.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I don't think these events should provide any in-game advantage. Other than that I want to get my item fast and dump it at Diango, but if it involves some side-path for holiday fans, fine by me.

What I would like is a one-time insight into various lores. E.g. if you take the trouble to visit, say, Azzanandra around Christmas, he tells you something interesting (and NOT how he doesn't like his tree w/o silver decoration).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Actually I read somewhere that holiday events are actually sort of like "target practice" or training for newer developers and programmers at Jagex, so perhaps there is a point to making them extensive and "quest-like".

Although if that isn't the case, I would have to say that something simple like the yo-yo or the gifts idea would be much better.

On the other hand, take say most of the F2P population, Holiday events are the only regular updates they get. (Although they've been getting more the past couple years...)

In F2P, holiday events are much more exciting because of how few updates they get.

And, um, basically your saying, you want potential rare loot because that somehow makes Christmas magical? More magical, then, you know, corp?

That's what I'm reading now.... You basically want some special grindfest where you can get rare items at Christmas?

Why don't they update GW for christmas, replace some of the scenery/frozen creatures with Christmas trees and put a Santa hat on the bosses....?

Quyneax, I like the lore idea. But it should be repeated every holiday imo, so that everyone can (eventually) have the chance to get it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I would want a simple event that¨s easy to get without having to go through a bloody chat. And that this simple task will show some nice stuff (Christmas trees), and drop some nice items (cosmetic or not, i really dont care).

Here is a example.

On Christmas eve, you are able to plant Christmas type of tree in farm patch. This will also be avaible for F2P (Nice way to introduce them to Farming for when they go P2P).

Tree will take 5 minute to finish growing. From there you need to decorate the tree (small hints where to find decorations). Once you finish decorating it, you get rewarded with 1 of 5 Cosmetic reward.

I would want a simple event that¨s easy to get without having to go through a bloody chat. And that this simple task will show some nice stuff (Christmas trees), and drop some nice items (cosmetic or not, i really dont care).

Here is a example.

On Christmas eve, you are able to plant Christmas type of tree in farm patch. This will also be avaible for F2P (Nice way to introduce them to Farming for when they go P2P).

Tree will take 5 minute to finish growing. From there you need to decorate the tree (small hints where to find decorations). Once you finish decorating it, you get rewarded with 1 of 5 Cosmetic reward.

Oookay.... not a bad idea, but except for the farming thing, didn't they do this already....? Also, that would be more hated then most events because of the P2P advertising. False advertising, because not not many (I don't think any) crops grow in 5 minutes, let a lone trees.

Also, people like me want ALL the rewards. Even if I can't have them all at the same time, I still want to acquire all of them. And what's wrong with a bloody chat?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

All I request is an appropriate landscape for the duration of the event. I don't even want a cosmetic item.

THAT would be cool. They do that somewhat with penguins (well, on Halloween they're pumpkins, no idea about Christmas) but a landscape update would be sweet. Actually, if they do that, maybe they COULD put Santa hats on some of the bosses o.O

Hmm....you know, one of my favorite holiday events was the one with the zombie head where you ran around with it scaring kids. It was much more intergrated then wandering away into Deaths house away from the rest of RS.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

All I request is an appropriate landscape for the duration of the event. I don't even want a cosmetic item.

THAT would be cool. They do that somewhat with penguins (well, on Halloween they're pumpkins, no idea about Christmas) but a landscape update would be sweet. Actually, if they do that, maybe they COULD put Santa hats on some of the bosses o.O

Runescape is kinda like WoW in those regards, in that the holiday events don't really mesh with the rest of the world. They had the Thanksgiving event in WoW recently, as The Shattering was taking place. So it was pretty odd to see, outside Orgrimmar, the city burning and NPCs fleeing in terror, while right outside the city the Thanksgiving event was taking place.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

• 3 weeks later...

+1 @ title.

Except you should change the title to "Any events" instead of just Christmas. -.-

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that a quest-like approach is no way to take a holiday event.

More than that, temporary content should not be worked on as heavily as content that will stay in the game. Sure, if the event is bringing some sort of weapon or tool into play, then the tool/weapon should be somewhat more useful than the Cornucopia and/or the Bronze Two-Handed sword.

discoshazamsig-1.png