Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dungeoneering Shields Discussion

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts

They almost all were inefficient at different times.

Which is why they almost all quit dg at different times ;)

Seriously though Jagex, FIX THE FREAKING SHIELD PROBLEM.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mierin
They wouldn't have to remove the 200 damage limit if they upped the soak to 20% and 40% or so. If you'd be hit for 600 damage, you only take 600-0.4(600-200)=440 damage, which is a pretty high reduction. Of course the problem is that it wouldn't be particulary useful as you would usually pray against whatever style would be able to KO you, but it might be useful for safe pvp/corp (only when under direct attack)/Jad/tanking Kril with protect mage or so.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath

You can only really train Dungeoneering in one way, so there's not much of a cost VS cost type thing; if you're DG'ing for DG XP, how can you use the cost/hr efficiency argument? You're leveling Dungeoneering at the same time, so it might as well be said that you're training Dungeoneering as a main objective and gaining tokens on the side. I guess I just find it unfair to negate the importance of the DG XP you get in the examples of FKS VS ASS (lol).

Because dung XP is useless after 85 unless your in it for the e-peen.

Everything after that has tokens as the primary objective. And thus you measure the efficiency of gaining tokens in comparison to gaining money.
O.O

sumondskull6
[ Display Name History ]

sumondskull6

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • RSN:Sumondskull6
  • Clan:Crusaders
An average dungeon is 27 minutes? I can't remember the last 5:5 large I did that took less than an hour on world 148 >.<

Can someone please explain how in the hell youbare doing dungeons so fast, and where I can find teams like this at level 75 dg, 136 cmb, P2H and plate?

CharlieBrown
[ Display Name History ]

CharlieBrown

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
  • RSN:CharlieBrown

An average dungeon is 27 minutes? I can't remember the last 5:5 large I did that took less than an hour on world 148 >.<

Can someone please explain how in the hell youbare doing dungeons so fast, and where I can find teams like this at level 75 dg, 136 cmb, P2H and plate?

Well, #1, you have 75 dungeoneering. No pro team is going to take that on w 148, you'll have w 177 prods trying to be pro, thus, longer floors.
Secondly, no hood? = longer floors.
Got a mime room? Guess what, without a hood, you HAVE to clear that room, with a hood? You save 2 minutes, these things add up.
The hood is just, way better.

Not having a go at you, and the hood thing is totally not your fault (most likely, unless you got a drop and didn't bind it), you'll get faster dungeons as you gain more experience and better binds.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Articultural
[ Display Name History ]

Articultural

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts

I've considered binding guardian ward with my primal baxe and hood but haven't gotten the drop since I could bind 3 items.

Not exactly what we were supposed to discuss; but lets go for it!
You have to consider if the superior melee and ranged defence of the primal platebody, could make it a better option than the ward.
The ward has decent maged defence.

With both platebody and ward, if only 1 style was attacking you, you would pray against that style.
With the Platebody you would pray against magic in a dangerous room with all 3 styles.
With ward you wouldn't know what to pray against

as for the ward beeing a shield that works with the "tank ring" - its very easy to find an antifire shield

Kind of offtopic, but if you bind a primal plate + celestial surgebox then you can still use your tank ring + get +7 Mage defence/attack without losing a bind slot (as box counts as ammo). It's also great for higher tier forgotten warriors.

Posted Image

Othelbark
[ Display Name History ]

Othelbark

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • RSN:Othelbark
  • RSN2:druidguthix
I just read this page and it seems that the shields don't soak damage at (x-200)*0.14 (x being damage). But instead soak 14 or 7% of the whole hit, provided the hit would have done more than 200 damage.

Goals

If you are my enemy: May Guthix bring you Rest!
Dragon drops: 2 d meds.
Barrows: Dharok platebody, d med.

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • RSN:The Ancient
kb is notoriously untrustworthy
but if you're right it soaks an avg of about 10 percent for 500 max, 5 percent for a 300 max

formula for average reuction is max-200/max times 0.14

if so the shields are collectively better than ely for trbriding in pvp
cks would be about as good as ely against range
fks would be better than arc and arguably better than ely while maging
eels would be better than ely against mage

could we get someone to test this

jagged fails communication 3 times. mod and kb disagree yet again
Posted Image
Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

DyingSilent
[ Display Name History ]

DyingSilent

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • RSN:Sunstriker

I've considered binding guardian ward with my primal baxe and hood but haven't gotten the drop since I could bind 3 items.

You have to consider if the superior melee and ranged defence of the primal platebody, could make it a better option than the ward.

With both platebody and ward, if only 1 style was attacking you, you would pray against that style.
With the Platebody you would pray against magic in a dangerous room with all 3 styles.

as for the ward beeing a shield that works with the "tank ring" - its very easy to find an antifire shield

Kind of offtopic, but if you bind a primal plate + celestial surgebox then you can still use your tank ring + get +7 Mage defence/attack without losing a bind slot (as box counts as ammo). It's also great for higher tier forgotten warriors.

I've heard multiple discussions as to whether CSB works as a shield for the tank ring or not. Can someone please confirm? I have primal battleaxe and CSB bound now (as well as hood, obviously), and if CSB counts as a shield, that's just that much better for me.
2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist
Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

CharlieBrown
[ Display Name History ]

CharlieBrown

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
  • RSN:CharlieBrown

I've heard multiple discussions as to whether CSB works as a shield for the tank ring or not. Can someone please confirm? I have primal battleaxe and CSB bound now (as well as hood, obviously), and if CSB counts as a shield, that's just that much better for me.

The surgebox doesn't count as a shield, so don't use tank ring with it (from mod Chris L on HLF). Also from my experience you end up taking less damage using gatherer/artisan ring while keying.

Taken from "pro dg'ing" topic, can't comment on the reliability of said quote, however

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy
I was bored so I made this quick graph because I was curious how much better the shields soaked compared to each other.
Since Elysians soak 25%, 70% of the time, I put it at an avarage of 17,5% soaking, 100% of the time.
The one below is if Elysian soaked 25%, 100% of the time.

Red = Base Damage
Green = Divine
Blue = Elysian
DG Shield at 14% = Dark Gray
DG Shield at 7% = Light Gray

DyingSilent
[ Display Name History ]

DyingSilent

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • RSN:Sunstriker

The surgebox doesn't count as a shield, so don't use tank ring with it (from mod Chris L on HLF). Also from my experience you end up taking less damage using gatherer/artisan ring while keying.

Taken from "pro dg'ing" topic, can't comment on the reliability of said quote, however

Yeah that's one of the posts I was referring to lol. I'm just getting on, so I'll look into it. I only have T5 tank ring atm though :mellow:
2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist
Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

brunokiller
[ Display Name History ]

brunokiller

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts
  • RSN:Mej
  • RSN2:Iures

Go dung with me and my friends some time :P

Solo keying while I call my lvl 100 friend( who doesn't so much damage) for gd's, and a friend with a lvl 60 pure afks in base, doing it in 30 mins usually. Not even bad xp as well.

LatinII
[ Display Name History ]

LatinII

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • RSN:Atrum
I have a farseer kiteshield. Here are some of the damage reductions I am getting. Left is the damage I was taking. Right is the amount of damage being soaked.

446 - 39
602 - 65
391 - 30
527 - 53
766 - 91
446 - 42
333 - 21
652 - 73
403 - 32
418 - 35
494 - 47
403 - 32
493 - 47
529 - 53
553 - 57
536 - 54

sumondskull6
[ Display Name History ]

sumondskull6

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • RSN:Sumondskull6
  • Clan:Crusaders
I'd be happy do go with you, Bruno :P
Afa the hood goes, yeah, I'm just unlucky :/

xSxqPowerx
[ Display Name History ]

xSxqPowerx

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,043 posts

I have a farseer kiteshield. Here are some of the damage reductions I am getting. Left is the damage I was taking. Right is the amount of damage being soaked.

446 - 39
602 - 65
391 - 30
527 - 53
766 - 91
446 - 42
333 - 21
652 - 73
403 - 32
418 - 35
494 - 47
403 - 32
493 - 47
529 - 53
553 - 57
536 - 54

Thanks.

According to this, you are indeed having hits reduced by
((actual+soaked)-200)*.14

LatinII
[ Display Name History ]

LatinII

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • RSN:Atrum
Yeah. It ALWAYS soaked 14% of what I got hit, minus the 200 damage needed to activate the soaking.

I think the farseer kiteshield is pretty cool. No, it can't be compared to a divine, but +17 magic attack, defensive bonuses comparable to an arcane and with a 14% damage reduction for every Melee hit above 200 is pretty good.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx

Yeah. It ALWAYS soaked 14% of what I got hit, minus the 200 damage needed to activate the soaking.

I think the farseer kiteshield is pretty cool. No, it can't be compared to a divine, but +17 magic attack, defensive bonuses comparable to an arcane and with a 14% damage reduction for every Melee hit above 200 is pretty good.

But the problem is, the maximum soaking you actually got was around 10%(of the whole damage), and apart from safe pvp(as you'd never take it to bh) it would barely soak any damage. Thus, for anything realistic, the shield has no damage soaking ability, and has worse stats than a shield much easier(and cheaper) to get. And if you factor in the 100k an hour cost, forget about it.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Boeg3
[ Display Name History ]

Boeg3

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • RSN:Boeg
  • Clan:Shawa Manz

I tested my Eagle eye with a friend of mine.

I soaked 38 lp, and he hit a 359 on me.
That whole 14% of the damage over 200...is BS.

without the soak, he would have hit a 393 on me.
393-200 = 193
14% of 193 = 27

according to the calculations that have been presented, the 38 soak should not be possible.

That being said, the dungeoneering reward shields are not worth getting, except for the Eagle-eye (imo) for warring.

0,86x+28=y
x beeing initial damage
y beeing final damage

0,86x removes 14% from the initial hit
+28 puts the 14% from the 200 first damage, which is never soaked, back - those 14% off 200 is 28

therein lies the equation: 0,86+28=y
I do agree, however, that you should never be able to soak 38 damage from that hit, because:

0,86x+28=359
=
0,86x=359-28
=
(359/0,86)-28=x
x = 389,44 = 390 initial hit

((390-200)/100)*14= 26,6 damage soaked

The equation is take directly from jagex tho: QFC: 15-16-815-61884558

Conclusion: either you read it wrong, the 38 soaked damage wasnt from the 359 hit OR Jagex cant do their own math.

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
I'm 99% sure I didn't read it wrong, and it was with only one person attacking me....no one else was around. I know where the equation was taken from, but at a time like this, Jagex seems to be one the LAST places we should be looking for clarification on how the shields work.

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users