Exclusive Content

stonewall337

The biggest argument is, if you are low/mid levelled, then you haven't actually run out of content yet, so why the need for a content update?

The majority of games keep expanding their end game model. Along the way they make vast improvements to the levelling process and make X thing easier than it was a year ago, or something like that. In Jagex case they have made several updates (Damage, new quest interface, objective tracking etc) to try and make starting the game easier and up to date with 2010's hold-your-hand gaming. Now the biggest problem with Runescape is, levels rise exponentially. I think it's probably widely agreed you can achieve 50 in all stats within a couple of weeks not playing excessively each day & this I guess would be the beginning of "mid level". So I'd seriously doubt you have completed all content available to you, be it minigames quests etc, in that 2 week period you spent to transition from low-mid level.

Now the problem with Runescape is, there is no single point at which you can call "end game" simply because of the levelling system, it's all one big grindfest & the gap between levels is exponential. Once you obtain 99 all stats, other than opening effigies there is no additional content available to you, that you couldn't already do (Even effigies you can open at 97 or lower due to boosts). (Ok so there is the high-level forum, where you can potentially moan with others in the same situation that yo've completed their animated excel sheet of a game and would like some more content pl0x). So for those veterans who maxed long ago, other than get some arbitrary number on the highscores page to a 200m, what else is there to do? If it's something like combat or slayer, you could argue the xp is a by-product of "hunting for drops" or making money from both PvE or PvP. But something like firemaking or another inherently pointless skill past X level, other than random rankings and E-peen there is no credible use for it.

From Jagex's point of view, they look at their balance sheet and their statistics of active/inactive players and see where the most active part of the player base is and where the money is coming in. Now the developers don't want to design content that will only be used by say 1-2% of the Runescape population. As opposed to ~50% (Mid level +) of the population. Now since there is no real "difficulty" in runescape, only "time" as a scaling factor. Unless they release more content like dungeoneering with a scale of 1-120 (Where every level is relevant and rewards for everyone, although the last batch of rewards are utter fail and they could honestly do a bit better.) There is no way to combine an update to appease each individual player base. All they can really do is try to shorten the time it takes to get from mid-high level. Be it via bonus xp weekends or making skills less tedious/faster xp. However from quests - you are now seeing tiered rewards. So to make it worthwhile a high level doing a basic quest, they can earn say 20k additional crafting xp afterwards by doing something with the npc.

Now a lot of people who are already high levelled immediately pop on those rose-coloured glasses and moan that they had to do it the hard way. This is true, and seeing something get nerfed AFTER you've done it the old way is a kick in the teeth. However you can put on your signature or somewhere, "150th to 99 agility in 06 when it really mattered" or something similar to protect your shattered e-peen, since there is no ingame way of verifying this. Anyway, the traditional model is, as endgame is expanded, the journey to end game becomes progressively shorter and easier, to not punish as much those that started the game later. So in a way if you want more high-level content, you're going to have to endorse this.

Rambled too much I've forgotten what my starting point was ;/

TLDR: You will always see more "end game" content, however those that are currently already at endgame, will continue to be ahead of the curve and will be continually frustrated at basically "finishing the game to early". From Jagex point of view, thanks for playing. bl.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk why people feel that way as I have always wanted higher content even when I was a low level player. However with the multiple bots I have stopped over the last few months and out of the ones who have spoken - They all seem very raged about the fact about how I 'spoilt' their fun and ruining their game. (Now I can understand a single player game or a game that doesnt effect others but this game effects others so its selfish.) They dont understand why I would go through the effort and just see it as stupid. Some of them might not even realise they are cheating I suppose. Some think its funny but they obviously just the kind of people that dont want to work for things either.

With this kind of mentality they share for the game of putting no effort into the game. Then I can equally see how people who dont cheat and do play legit prefer to just have things handed to them. Difference is they just play within the rules compared to certain others. I guess being handed some things sometimes is cool and all but surely it should always be better higher stuff as people get better and higher skills and needing new goals to aim for.

To me, without content or goals to work towards there is no reason to play the game. Content makes it alot easier to set goals, especially at lower levels if the higher content is very good.

With other games I have to work for things. Runescape seems to use a different tactic of giving out the majority of low level content. *shrugs* Its terrible imo but how it is.

The worse bit for me is that I know you dont NEED to do the new content if you dont have the levels for it. It seems irrelevant that at low med levels that those levels are the most content flooded already. They just want more and more without having to put in the effort into a game.

Alot of it can be said to be down to ignorance due to having so much content and not knowing what its like not to have new things constantly thats more suitable for your level. How the hell are they ganna know whats its like not to have new content when nearly each week the content is directed at them. Ofcourse they arnt going to want that to change. Ofcourse its the high levels with no lifes that are selfish. They prefer it was them getting it all and obviously due to being the majority they think its them who deserve 99 percent of it rather than 2/3 or less.

On a related note - Not everyone is like that and some lower leveled people prefer higher content. Its just some who dont.

What we have, essentially, are two groups: mature and immature players. The immature players cannot handle not having whatever they want, when they want it. The mature players realize and APPRECIATE that this is a goal-oriented game that rewards players for their efforts.

Its suddenly mature to want high level grind content and complain about all the low level content. But immature to argue the opposite?

At least low level content gets accessed by everyone. Not the select few who bend over and grind for hundreds of hours.

Maybe im alone in this feeling, but ive always wondered if the game would be better if level 99 required maybe 3-6 million XP (or less), instead of 13 million. The length of time it takes for some of the higher leveled skills, especially the tedious ones like RC, has always seemed a bit excessive.

Look at it this way, I have twice your total xp in 1 skill alone (Attack) and the same amount in several skills, including dungeoneering. If anything, the amount of xp for a 99 is rather on the low end. The reason higher "end" skills have any respect is because of the time to get them. If slayer capes were as common as strength capes, then they'd be far more boring.

And low level content doesn't get accessed by everyone---High and medium level players often ignore it completely.

And just because noobs like you (nothing personal) can't access high level content, so what? Why is that bad? Why do you feel the need to be able to do everything I do? What makes you even think you DESERVE to have the same access?

If it only took 6m xp in all skills to get 99, I'd have been maxed already.

The thread was designed to be about exclusive content, content that due to either a high price tag, difficulty of completion, or time required to archive, isn't available for most of the RS community. There are plenty of high level players already. An example would be 100+ DG rewards, or resource dungeons for 105+ dungeon, or a slayer cave for people with 15m + slayer xp only, etc.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I never got my 99 agility treasure room.

So to hell with your 15mil slayer hole.

I'm personally surprised Jagex threw us a bone with the choatic weapons & shields.

Other than the castle wars pro cape (of which I have been robbed), there is nothing exclusive in rs.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I never got my 99 agility treasure room.

So to hell with your 15mil slayer hole.

I'm personally surprised Jagex threw us a bone with the choatic weapons & shields.

Other than the castle wars pro cape (of which I have been robbed), there is nothing exclusive in rs.

So make something exclusive to high levels then...?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

And just because noobs like you (nothing personal) can't access high level content, so what? Why is that bad? Why do you feel the need to be able to do everything I do? What makes you even think you DESERVE to have the same access?

"High-Level" content isn't bad, but exclusive content is. It all depends on how you are defining the two.

If you went back 3 years from now and asked people if bosses like Armadyl or DK's were "high-level" content, a large majority of the population would agree they were. Now if you ask the same question, the majority of people will say they are medium to low level content. So keep in mind that the perception of how "high" content is, is really based on how much the community has advanced.

But back to my main point.. High content isn't bad, but exclusive is. For example: Addition of more things to the hunter from levels 50-99 isn't bad, its high level content for people to work towards. However, just splatting a hunter creature with a requirement of 95 would be exclusive because there is hardly anything between 50 and 95. If they do make high level content, the need to fill in the gaps first so that content is not just "exclusive".

So my point is not really that high level stuff is bad, because as a high level myself I would like it. But I feel a addition of 10 hunter creatures from 1-99 would be a much better, and less exclusive, update which everyone likes opposed to 10 hunter creatures from 80-99.

What we have, essentially, are two groups: mature and immature players. The immature players cannot handle not having whatever they want, when they want it. The mature players realize and APPRECIATE that this is a goal-oriented game that rewards players for their efforts.

Its suddenly mature to want high level grind content and complain about all the low level content. But immature to argue the opposite?

At least low level content gets accessed by everyone. Not the select few who bend over and grind for hundreds of hours.

Maybe im alone in this feeling, but ive always wondered if the game would be better if level 99 required maybe 3-6 million XP (or less), instead of 13 million. The length of time it takes for some of the higher leveled skills, especially the tedious ones like RC, has always seemed a bit excessive.

Look at it this way, I have twice your total xp in 1 skill alone (Attack) and the same amount in several skills, including dungeoneering. If anything, the amount of xp for a 99 is rather on the low end. The reason higher "end" skills have any respect is because of the time to get them. If slayer capes were as common as strength capes, then they'd be far more boring.

And low level content doesn't get accessed by everyone---High and medium level players often ignore it completely.

The thread was designed to be about exclusive content, content that due to either a high price tag, difficulty of completion, or time required to archive, isn't available for most of the RS community. There are plenty of high level players already. An example would be 100+ DG rewards, or resource dungeons for 105+ dungeon, or a slayer cave for people with 15m + slayer xp only, etc.

Seriously Stonewall, don't be such an arrogant douche. Whilst I agree with the majority of your points, theres no need to be an ass about it. To be honest, the perfect analogy to describe this argument is the age old one where kids tell their parent that they don't remember what it's like to be young. Just like that, I really do think some people don't actually remember what it was like to be a low level. Nobody started as a level 138 (or 126) maxed stats character, everyone started this game as a level 3. Whilst the majority of people agree (including myself) that content that gets released outside of your level range is a good motivator to make you train a skill, if you were a relatively new player, and all you saw was content being released for players in the mid to high 90's all that would happen is you would get disheartened and give up before you even begin.

Whilst I do agree that high level content is sorely lacking in almost every area of the game, theres no point raging about low levels receiving content catered towards them, low level content will always exist simply so Jagex can keep the new players playing. Whilst I agree this is wrong and Jagex should cater towards the long standing players that have been around for years more than the low levels, there is just no way that updates will exclusively cater to one audience. The attitude that really irritates me is the one where High level players think it is their god given right to be lavished with update after update of content that directly caters to them. That said, the balance of updates is still tipped in favour of the low levels to be honest. The scales need to be tipped the other way, but not to the extreme that others believe it should be.

Sylpheed.png

The short answer: If you want instant gratification, play a first-person shooter. Runescape is not the game for you. Don't want to get 97 slayer for that new slayer monster? Don't want to get 97 fishing (lol) for that new quest (lol)? Get over it or quit.

Or simply don't play that content.

I'm interested in why you think people hate on the content, more then anything. Is it laziness, jealousy, a desire for instant gratification, or a "need" to grind in order to access? What do you think?

All of the above, I think. Jealousy is definitely the largest factor, but that jealousy often stems from laziness ("I don't want to work for it, so NOBODY should have it!") and the need for instant gratification. It's really sad, actually. These people are so greedy and hellbent on dumbing the game down for everyone else . . . and for what? So they can play for six months, quit, and never come back? Pathetic.

Maybe I just have a different mentality when it comes to Runescape. I've been playing since the game came out, practically, and it has ALWAYS been my goal to get the "best stuff," if you will. When GWD came out, I never once complained that I couldn't get on teams or that I couldn't participate -- rather, it became my GOAL to reach the levels required to participate.

While I mostly agree with you, I think it's a bit shortsighted to call everyone who complains about it immature. Some people like to play mostly for "instant fun" (pkers for instance), and when there's a big chunk of gameplay only available when they grind a mindnumbing skill like firemaking (let's say a whole new area needs 95 firemaking to enter), then I can see why they complain.

Many people play the game for a vast variety of different reasons. Stonewall, you have even argued that fact with me in depth in the past so you should know that. Many players such as yourself will play to reach goals which elite updates enable you to do. However, there are also those who play for fun on the go, which lower level updates please. There are then many players with reasons in between, and many with reasons outside who don't care about updates at all. This forum has a large percentage of higher level players which does give the look that a majority of RS players want elite updates, but I would argue the opposite and that more want a casual game they can log into for a few hours a week. Neither group are better or more deserving than the other.

By now, Jagex have realised that higher level players are much less likely to quit and get bored than lower level players. Jagex have done updates which changed the game drastically for many higher level players but they have stayed with the game. Because of this, they know that they do not need to make as many updates for them to keep making money. Jagex will and do focus on lower level content to get new players and new money.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm mostly annoyed by the changing economic standards that affect skills more greatly than the amount of effort it takes to perform in said skill, but that is a much tougher subject to tackle than this.

Anyway, I'm more interested in them filling in the wide holes in the skill progression paths than simply providing more "motivation" to do extremely tedious, mindnumbing, and increasingly less rewarding tasks (The more I do something without being able to move to a better yet still boring task, the less exp rewards I get scaled to my level! Woo!) in the hopes that one day I can have fun in a game that I am paying money for.

If the journey is supposed to be the adventure, aren't I supposed to be having more fun on the adventure?

Yet, we are constantly asked to sacrifice fun for later gain.

I guess if this is supposed to be a grunting contest to find out who is the best instead of an actual game with actual fun, then I can see why a lot of people moved on.

(Naturally, fun is subjective, but there are limits, and I'm not sure where the fun ends and the lying to yourself begins.)

8f14270694.jpg

I'm mostly annoyed by the changing economic standards that affect skills more greatly than the amount of effort it takes to perform in said skill, but that is a much tougher subject to tackle than this.

Anyway, I'm more interested in them filling in the wide holes in the skill progression paths than simply providing more "motivation" to do extremely tedious, mindnumbing, and increasingly less rewarding tasks (The more I do something without being able to move to a better yet still boring task, the less exp rewards I get scaled to my level! Woo!) in the hopes that one day I can have fun in a game that I am paying money for.

If the journey is supposed to be the adventure, aren't I supposed to be having more fun on the adventure?

Yet, we are constantly asked to sacrifice fun for later gain.

I guess if this is supposed to be a grunting contest to find out who is the best instead of an actual game with actual fun, then I can see why a lot of people moved on.

A good summation of why all levels need good content.

So, my reasons for wanting content across all levels instead of a giant carrot perched atop a Sisyphean mountain are that if I'm going to be paying for the right to participate in something, I want to be able to actually be able to participate in it without some ridiculous meaningless hazing ritual based on points rather than actual ability without a large amount of [wagon] lording their points over me every second of the process, and that if I really wanted that experience, I'd go outside and do some kind of sport or something that would benefit me in another way (and reflect actual ability), rather than being here looking for a way to fritter away my free time in a meaningless manner THAT I ACTUALLY ENJOY.

8f14270694.jpg

I mentioned this in the 120 Constitution thread, but I think that for some unknown reason players do not like to see Runescape change, especially in the high-leveled content division. I've played this game long enough to see a lot of major changes come and go, even the change from Classic to RS2, and it's always the same argument: "It was better the way it was!" Whether it's arguing against high-leveled content or not, it always comes down to the fundamental idea that the game has changed and for some reason, Runescape players do not like change. They like to do the same task in the same way, day after day until they get x-amount of gold or x-level. If Runescape wasn't updated weekly (granted major updates don't happen weekly), it would have died years ago. The game needs to keep evolving and the obvious holes in it are in the high-level content division. Embrace change because without it, this game would not exist.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Would you have paid for Runescape had they listed the actual experience in bullet points?

- Explore a huge world where 80 percent of it is meant to impede your progress to the 20 percent that you actually want to participate in!

- 25 skills, of which half are nearly obsolete except for arbitrarily imposed barriers!

- Go on exciting quests, most of which don't really change anything and require you to do things beforehand that have no bearing on what you actually do on the quest!

- Achieve milestones in personal development and then find out that you can't afford to use your new abilities or access new content because other players got there first and raised the bar just above your head!

- Countless hours of gameplay watching paint dry while listening to the hearty wit of other players including gems like "join my clan chat "pyramidskammerz" to get rich!", "stfu gtfo noob", and "plz give me something you don't have right now for free"!

- Experience the staggering amount of hypocrisy in which players want better things, but don't want things to change because it would cheapen the amount of time they already wasted doing pointless things in the hope that the game would get better simply because their levels are higher!

- Realize that when you've finally reached the top, the stuff you wanted 25 levels ago is now useless to you because you don't need it now that you've reached the top!

8f14270694.jpg

It's a shame we have to have this same discussion every few months, here are my key opinions:

• High level != More deserving. While that may be true in a sense, being high level is not the be all and end all of Runescape - there are players who either don't want to be high level or just don't play enough (I personally know I'd never be able to commit enough of my time to get all my stats in say, the 90's).
  • Jagex, basically, just have to look at their bottom line. If they can get away with doing x amount of medium level updates without causing all their high levels to quit, then more power to them. Tbh they have to make sure they're making the most money that they can because they 'are' a company and in a way, the more money they make the more they can invest in Runescape (more developers ect) so more power to us in the end? Low level content creates jobs? :P
  • Wanting more content for your level range isn't immature, it's reasonable to an extent as long as you can accept that there's going to be both content for higher levels AND lower levels. I enjoy update day, to some extent, no matter what the update is.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

@ Racheya

Being a "high level" may not be the ultimate goal of every 'scaper, but you cannot deny that many people are "high levels". You may not aspire to have "high levels" either, and that is just fine.

However, having "low levels" does not mean someone is more deserving either. If a player does not want to play enough to reach a certain level, so be it. However, it is just fine for the aforesaid player to also not be able to do things that require levels he does not want to reach. Does someone with 70 prayer and herblore deserve to use turmoil and extremes/overloads? No, they do not. Those items and abilities have a level requirement above what this player has, and if he want's to use them, he has to get there.

You think low level content creates jobs? How much low level content is there? There is such a thing as too much low level content. Once you reach a certain amount it, it becomes impossible to finish while remaining a low level. Players don't continue completing low level content forever, they move on to bigger and better things. I mean, I am level 131, with 95 herblore, a decent bank, pretty good gear, and decent stats. Just a few weeks ago, I finally finished Clock Tower and Sheep Herder. 2 of the lowest level quests in the game. I never got around to doing them before simply because I never really needed to. By the time I even got to the city of Ardougne for the first time, I was way above the need to do those quests. The shear amount of low level requirements had already leveled me far beyond the need to do more low level stuff like that.

My point is, the low level part of the game is already saturated with content, and in fact you now see jagex pulling low level content out, in order to fit more in (romeo and juliet, the tutors giving jobs, tutorial island, etc.) In economics, this would be known as a surplus, and it actually drives prices down. Adding "new" low level content does not actually bring more players into the game. There is already so much low level content, that any players who would be drawn into the game because of the content are going to be drawn in regardless.

I don't really know why you brought immaturity into this, unless you are trying to insinuate something. But, you are correct. The only problem is that, using your example of range, there hasn't been high level AND low level content for range. We got black dhide at 70 range, and then we got karils at 70 range, and then we got armadyl at 70 range. In fact, from the levels 1-70, there are 15 different armor sets you could potentially wear. (black dhide and god dhide included as 1 set, since they all give the same bonuses)

[hide]

leather

hardleather

studded

frogleather

snakeskin

green dhide

spined

sacred clay

void

blue dhide

red dhide

3rd age

black dhide/god sets

karils

armadyl

[/hide]

The only things after 70 range are morrigans, at level 78, and chaotic at level 80. There are tons of options for the low level ranger, you can even get yak hide legs, which require 0 range level, 20 defense, and are the best range chaps to wear from 1-50 range.

There really isn't much content for high level rangers, but there is so much content for low level range, there really can't be any more, of there would be massive amounts of overlap. (even though there already is)

Runescape needs higher level content. Jagex can't keep changing their low level content around ad infinitum.

pere_grin.png

This classification isn't as widely discussed in RS community as in some others, but there are 4 types of MMO players, usually described by card suits:

"Diamonds" - Achievers - The players who play to see their name on top of the scoreboards, to get the stuff nobody else has, etc.

"Spades" - Explorers - The players who play to investigate game mechanics, explore the storyline, etc.

"Hearts" - Socializers - The players who play for the community.

"Clubs" - PKers - The players who play to dominate others in direct conflict.

The reason the game has so little high level content is in the title of this thread: Due to the insane time requirement, the vast majority of the players who do reach the highest levels are interested in exclusivity, not in content. So a skill cape is just as much of a reward for them as a book of game lore is to a spade.

On the other hand, the people who play for the content care about it more than about in-game advantages. I would much rather play a low-level quest whose main reward was to learn more about Runescape history than play a high-level quest that would give me a ton of XP.

Veziv.png

I don't think prayer and herblore are the best examples considering that you basically pour money into them!

Um... so?

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Dear lord. This AGAIN? It's like this forum takes the same 3 or 4 topics and chucks them into a meatgrinder every so often - the topic was decent when you first got to devour it, but now that it's been crapped out and reground so many times, it sucks. <_<

My OPINION on the matter:

All levels should have content. High-level content is not bad so long as there's stuff to do leading up to it, as opposed to doing the training method that shows up at level 70 until you get the uber-leet stuff at level 95.

a70c7.png

Seriously Stonewall, don't be such an arrogant douche. Whilst I agree with the majority of your points, theres no need to be an ass about it. To be honest, the perfect analogy to describe this argument is the age old one where kids tell their parent that they don't remember what it's like to be young. Just like that, I really do think some people don't actually remember what it was like to be a low level. Nobody started as a level 138 (or 126) maxed stats character, everyone started this game as a level 3. Whilst the majority of people agree (including myself) that content that gets released outside of your level range is a good motivator to make you train a skill, if you were a relatively new player, and all you saw was content being released for players in the mid to high 90's all that would happen is you would get disheartened and give up before you even begin.

Whilst I do agree that high level content is sorely lacking in almost every area of the game, theres no point raging about low levels receiving content catered towards them, low level content will always exist simply so Jagex can keep the new players playing. Whilst I agree this is wrong and Jagex should cater towards the long standing players that have been around for years more than the low levels, there is just no way that updates will exclusively cater to one audience. The attitude that really irritates me is the one where High level players think it is their god given right to be lavished with update after update of content that directly caters to them. That said, the balance of updates is still tipped in favour of the low levels to be honest. The scales need to be tipped the other way, but not to the extreme that others believe it should be.

High levels don't need to be lavished with high level content constantly.... We just need more than 3-4 (Rough guess on the number, I'm not about to go and count through the updates to see how many high level updates there are each year) high level updates per year while mid to low-level content is added 40-50 times a year.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

because of warped floors being released, im not allowed to flame jagex till 2011 about low lvl content

let me check your stats:

a_final_name.png

Runecrafting: Blood runes, fremmy/karamja elite diary

Agility: Agile armour, all shortcuts.

Firemaking: Adze

Hunter: Kingly imps.

Magic: All spells(barrage dem narbs)

Fishing: Fremmy elite

See you summer 2011 :thumbup: