Body Modification?

Rainbows

I noticed that the off topic section didn't have a thread on this, and was rather surprised.

As per the thread title. To get the discussion started, here are a few questions for you:

How do you feel about body modifications? (piercings, tattoos, subdermals and the like, although other procedures such as tongue splitting are included).

Do you, yourself, have any/plans to acquire some in the foreseeable future?

Why?

How do you feel about the growing pervasiveness of tattoos among western youth?

Do you think men should get ear piercings?

As the topic creator, it's only fair that I answer first :P.

How do you feel about body modifications? (piercings, tattoos, subdermals and the like, although other procedures such as tongue splitting are included).

- I personally feel that everyone has the right to bodily autonomy, so should be free to do what they want with themselves. Admittedly, body modification does have certain connotations, especially tattoos, which can effect employment and the like. I'm of the opinion that this is unfortunate residue of a more socially conservative generation.

- I have my left nipple and navel pierced, among others. I'm definitely interested in getting some tattoos within the next few months, as due to afore mentioned issues of employment, the opportunity to get facial piercings is limited.

Why?

- I find them aesthetically attractive =3

- While it's great that popular interest in body modification is growing and being much more high profile with musicians, movie stars etc I think a lot of people get tattoos for which they don't consider the passage of time. But hey, it's their body.

- Of course!

This is intended as a general discussion thread, so don't just limit yourself to these. Feel free to post pictures if you want, but they must comply with the standards of the Real Life Pictures thread - no topless shots, disparaging remarks, discussion/photography of more adult modifications, that sort of thing. Use your common sense, and if unsure, PM a moderator first.

After my time at TAFE there's not a single piercing or tattoo that would ever make me bat an eyelid. I myself am considering getting a nipple piercing and some tattoos.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I think they're just strange and weird. I mean, think about it... purposely modifying your body to make it look more "unique", when really all you're doing is graphiti your body and stapling holes all over. :mellow: I don't get this fad really.

Hell no.

Why?

See 1.

It's just disturbing really. But whatever floats their boat I guess...

Again, whatever floats their boat.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

After my time at TAFE there's not a single piercing or tattoo that would ever make me bat an eyelid. I myself am considering getting a nipple piercing and some tattoos.

I'd warn you that it's one of the worst in terms of both pain level and healing time. That said, they look rather kewl - of course, I'm rather biased. <3:

Traditionally I 'should' feel that your bosy is on lend from God, and you should treat it with respect.

but honestly, Gods got 6 billion of these things, and he can always make more if he wants, so I say do whatever. Not everything in the "whatever" category looks particularly attractive, but to each his own.

Nothing turns me on like a girl with a belly button ring though.

I, myself am contemplating a tattoo of a phoenix with the caption "Heart Means Everything" alas, my body has no area large enough that I desire to adorn with such a design as of yet. But it will happen one day.

And if gauges weren't so permanent I'd do that too, but I'd like to think I can get a real job one day.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I, personally, don't have any body modifications (unless you count some surgeries, but those weren't for aesthetic reasons), but I know many people that do. I used to want to get a tattoo, but then I realized that no matter what I got, after some time I would either get borred of it, or I would dislike it, so I decided not to get anything permanent.

Piercings just don't seem to be my thing, and I'm not too keen on having a piece of metal stuck inside my skin.

I feel that more and more people are just getting tattoos for the sake of it, and you end up seeing the really most stupid ones. I know many people who tattooed Chinese and Jewish symbols without actually knowing what they mean. And of course, there are the stars/butterflies tattoos for the girls, and the tribal tattoos for men. How original.

I feel that people should actually think what they are getting into their skin for a bit more time, and ask themselves "Will I like this in 3 months? 1 year? 5 years?". No point in having something stuck with you, and having to hide it or regret getting it for a lifetime just because when you were young you thought it would be cool and edgy.

I don't have any issues with piercings, although I wouldn't get one. They are removable and the mark they leave isn't too noticeable. I know many men that have ear/lip/eyebrow piercings, and some of them don't look bad.

16185_s.gif

Besides regular pierced ears I'm a tattoo girl. Current count is 6, and I have 2-3 more planned, although no idea as to when. All my tattoos however are rather small and placed so that they are easy to cover up. If I'm in jeans, t-shirt and have my hair down you wouldn't know they're there at all. This is done very intentionally as there are times when it isn't really apropriate to show off a slew of tattoos. I really wanted a tongue piercing about 10-12 years ago, but a: pain and b: living on soup for a week didn't sound too tempting.

As for other people, to each their own. Although is you do go to the extremes with tattoos, piercings and various implants, I really don't think you're able to complain about not being treated equally when applying for "regular" jobs etc.

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

Ty Jeppoz for making it. Thx to the Pup for finding it after it got lost :D And thx to Kill_Life and Turtle for the ava.

Stoltenberg, 22/7-11: "We will retaliate with more democracy" In remembrance of Oslo/Utøya. May we never forget, nor be pulled down to the level of the beast

I really don't think you're able to complain about not being treated equally when applying for "regular" jobs etc.

Why not? You wouldn't be able to turn down an unattractive but well qualified applicant for a job (excluding modelling, etc).

Im getting a tattoo myself on my shoulder area this Jan (hopefully) and thinking about spacer/guage piercings in my ears also (depending how my hair is at the time). As for jobs, sadly some managers are just old farts/fartettes who look down on Gen Y/Gen....1995+ because we're very different then Gen X/Baby Boomers. Currently my boss wouldnt care if i got them right now as long as I kept them within clean and tidy appearance (cant say the same for the 2nd in charge, hes the type that hates todays Youths.)

Popoto.~<3

If you look like this

12806315_BG1.jpg

I can absolutely understand why some people would hesitate to hire you for certain jobs.

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

Ty Jeppoz for making it. Thx to the Pup for finding it after it got lost :D And thx to Kill_Life and Turtle for the ava.

Stoltenberg, 22/7-11: "We will retaliate with more democracy" In remembrance of Oslo/Utøya. May we never forget, nor be pulled down to the level of the beast

My tribe has always traditionally had piercings and tattoos. Not too many people these days still follow the traditions though. I plan on getting some more. My arms are already almost sleeved in my own artwork, done in my people's traditional style. I dunno so much about facial tattoos though. I can still throw on a long sleeve shirt so old ladies at the store don't frown on me lol.

The one thing I hate though, is people getting 'tribal' tattoos, when they don't belong to that specific group of people. It's rather insulting to see that everywhere. In most tattoo societies, you had to earn the right to get tattooed, or earn specific designs and patterns. Now you got people who just go to a shop and pick something out of a book and get it done.

The generic 'tribal' designs are fine, the typical barbed wire stuff you see everywhere, but when you start getting into actual tribal specific work, you really need to go down to those places they originate and get them the right way. I don't care how much you like and admire those cultures or artworks, to simply get something done because you like it may be innocent enough, but it's cultural theft to me.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

I don't see any point to it - unless you want to appease to that certain crowd that exalts accessories as symbols of rebellion/coolness/sexiness/etc. So my humble opinion is that it's pretty gay. Especially surgical modifications like sex-change or implants - which really seem like a kick in the face to your natural self.

No, but I do have my ear pierced. I don't have anything in it though, and I don't think I would say that I regret it because at least it's an experience to talk about.

Not surprised.

It is their right and they can do as they like, but piercings for the most part look rather feminine to me, and tattoos look masculine.

All in all, when it comes to aesthetic appearance, I think hairstyle and clothing are perfectly fine to worry about (to a point). Anything more than that just makes you seem like you purposely want to come off as eccentric for social attention rather than just feeling comfortable in your own skin. I would also argue that it devalues personality - you are expressing yourself through a materialistic medium and giving people more personality-indicators to focus on other than what you are saying or how you are acting. In other words, I see it as a distraction of your true self and I've never been a fan of bells and whistles. Fashion should be more generic, people should be less generic.

I thought body modification was dying out, something that was popular about 10 years ago. I rarely see anyone with even a visible tattoo nowadays.

I'm not going to stop anyone from going ahead with it, but you deserve exactly what's coming as a direct consequence of it. To be honest, I don't mind if people have one that symbolises something important to them in an elegant way. On the other hand, anything generic or ugly just makes you look desperate to stand out, and it never works. Also, please don't mess with your face. It's how you communicate with others and anything you do to it is never going to be something personal. People will associate you with the tattoo, not your personality, and no tattoo can ever look as good as a good personality.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

If you look like this

12806315_BG1.jpg

I can absolutely understand why some people would hesitate to hire you for certain jobs.

I am being honest when I say this: the one thing that stuck out to me in that picture is "what a pronounced adam's apple o.O"

Also, who's the OP? I'm assuming is a previous forum poster, since this is their first ever post.

And there really isn't much discussion capabilities for this thread, since I, as well as the vast vast majority of the forum will say the followng:

edit: nvm Pastas disproved this past sentence.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I don't like it. I was tempted to get a tattoo before (specifically a foreign letter one) but I've decided that

it's better to show that I have enough confidence in my appearance to not get anything.

Honestly, I don't like piercing on both genders. On men, it makes them look somewhat feminine imo. Tattoos aren't

that bad but I hate the one's where it's drawn on every area of one part of your body (like your arm) is just EWW.

Tramp stamps on women is a turnoff to me. Breast augmentation just makes you look like a skank, [bleep]ty, w/e...

Tongue splitting makes you look like you have a disorder. (Sorry I'm not trying to offend anyone) Bikini waxing makes you

look prepubescent (especially if you're a young woman).

Time will tell. As much as I am against them, I do tend to change my mind very quickly.

The closest thing I want to getting a body modification is the removal of my birthmark on my foot but like I said before,

I have too much confidence to bother changing my appearance. :)

Hm, a few tattoos can be pretty nice i think. I want to get myself a couple in the future, but they are bloody expensive.

I can't say i like piercings except for in the ear. I don't really think, as some have, a [cabbage]load of tattoos on their whole body is good looking.

I also don't think that people with tattoos on their forearms for example should feel "discriminated" if they don't get a job, say in retail sales.

Bit of negativity from someone who's for it!

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I think facial tattoos and piercings are just unattractive. Body piercings on a man might also be sort of wierd (but ears aren't that bad), and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about strange piercings on women. As for tattoos, I'd like to get a small one eventually, but it has to be something meaningful to me, rather than just picking a random symbol out of a book. Larger tattoos are a bit unattractive, but I've found a small tattoo to be a nice surprise on a woman (as long as it is a surprise - tramp stamps are boring).

I have four tattoos including a huge piece covering my entire right side. I love body art and I find it fascinating that very cool original drawings and ideas can essentially be painted on the human body. All my tattoos can easily be covered up by a short-sleeved shirt and long pants and until I get a job where I know I can have tattoos showing, I won't be getting tattoos on my arms. I would never get any piercings as they don't seem to suit me. I'm not against them at all, I date a girl that has at least 10 or more. As for the body modification, that stuff just creeps me out. I can't really say anything else.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I've got nothing against either piercings or tattoos, each to their own. I do plan on getting a tattoo at some stage, I've got a few ideas (none of this tribal/barbed wire stuff) but there's stuff I want to do before I get them.

I've got a friend who has a fair number of tattoos but each one he designed himself and it has a story behind it which is exactly what I think tattoos should be used for, not just getting one for the sake of it.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

In moderation I have no problem with piercings or tattoos. I personally find that too many looks tacky. I don't judge people because of it though.

I have three piercings: two on one ear and one on the other. I got two (one on each ear) done when I was like seven years old. It was mostly my mom's idea. My sister really wanted her ears pierced and I came along with no intention of doing it myself and my mom kind of nudged me along. I got the third piercing when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I don't actually wear earrings all that often though.

I do not have any tattoos and doubt I will ever get one.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Oh, true story on pierced ears. My mom tried to have mine done when I was 3months or so. The first one was peanuts, but as they tried to get the second one done I kept turning my ear wondering what was happening so they had to give up. She then removed the one they had done, and when my dad noticed the scab played all innocent and claimed I probably had scratched myself or something :lol:

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

I don't mind them all that much and I certainly appreciate the artistry behind a good tattoo. However, I wouldn't personally get either. I think putting holes into your body and shoving metal through it is kinda dumb (not that I care at all if other people do it) and tattoos are too permanent for me, especially because I'm afraid that even if I really like it when I get it, in a few years I won't.

So yeah, no piercings or tattoos for me in the foreseeable future.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp