Tip.It Times - 21st November 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

We have some new guidelines in place for Times articles, so make sure to read them before posting:

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Good DYK this week. I didn't even know there was a Statue Collection Bag.

I struggled to understand the 2nd article, I couldn't really get what point the author was trying to make.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Hmmm....

I agree with the first article, but there's nothing really much to say about it for me.

On the second one, I also didn't quite understand it. Apparently Runescape has changed "drastically", but in what way exactly? There's new stuff, and chaotic weapons did their part to influence rs, but what is the outcome of this? Or why do you seem not to like it?

Also, to the beginning of the article - what was that about the deposit box? I didn't understand that sentence...

"Although I knew that I was clueless, the biggest shock came when I was actually writing this article. The line, They would return to mining iron in a suboptimal way, now that there is a deposit box in the dwarven mines (or so Ive heard). was included. This made sense at the time, Id heard of the bank deposit boxes, and new dungeoneering rewards. But somehow, Id missed that they removed it. "

deposit boxes from where were removed? and where would you have put that line? huh?

on the fictional: I like it more and more every week ;)

The story seems interesting, only sometimes I think it could do with more detailed descriptions instead of the kind of fact-repeating narrating. I don't know exactly how to word it :P sometimes the narrator seems to be a bit too emotionless. Maybe you could try to write a bit more into the direction of that one here:

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=514

but rather stick to your own style than trying to adapt something which doesn't work out ;)

well that is my answer to "how do u train prayer"

i just say "oh i got it when it was 80m..."

anyway yes new content comes its hard for people to understand now that granite isnt the way to mine anymore and everyone just mines gold...

its hard for people to comprehend that dungeoneering goes to 120...

alot of people wish they could go back to rs 2006 or rs pre dungeon but u really cant cuz its here to stay and most updates are for the better

2nd article - yeh taking a break from the game changes things as well...u come back and ur like "woah new stuff" taking a few months off = new quest to do and stuff to try but also u miss small changes which sometimes make all the difference when u come back.

StarViv.png

@Jonananananananas (rly?):

I know what you mean. The chapter as I first wrote it did have that. But it seemed to go on forever with that added, without much happening storywise. I might have been able to add in even more events and such, but then it would become truly huge... Instead I chose to trim the "useless" part of the story a bit... But rest asured, the next episodes will make up at least some of that :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

A changed game is the reason why I like to take time away from RS for a while. This game will never feel new to me again no matter how big the update might be, when we went to RS2 was the closest but even then it didn't take much time to become familiar with the world. I like the sensation of being a little lost, feeling like I'm exploring again. It's what originally draws me to a game. But it fades and eventually all that is left is setting higher and higher goals hoping to one-day master what exists.

I guess that mindset also plays into the first article a bit. I and I’m sure others tend to get stuck in our ways. For many of us opening up to something new is simply a challenge to our brains. We have to train our minds to take advantage of the updates so that we can train faster or be better equipped. With the most recent change to producing items I was still right clicking to select make all, not even noticing that it was already set and I only had to click once. Took about a week to get out of that habit. Now that I'm accustomed to it, I'm glad for it. Just like I was glad with each make-x change. I have fond memories of classic but honestly; trying to play that version of the game again just wasn't worth it. Clicking on something a hundred times to get one log or one ore didn't make it any "harder" a skill to train, just more tedious and finger unfriendly.

I likewise take my time with new skills, quests, beasties to kill, and rewards to claim. The living rock caverns have been out for a while but I've only just recently started to explore the area and change my old mining methods to take advantage of a quicker system. Starting to enjoy Dung but I'm keeping that at a casual pace to train. I'll get to the rewards when I get to them.

So I'm sure there are at least a few of us, as I refuse to believe I'm unique in any way, who fall into more of a third grouping when it comes to change. We neither rush off gleefully to get the latest skills, items, area, quest done nor do we shout against change. I guess we're the crocodiles. We just evolve slowly and it takes a long time to notice the difference. :mrgreen:

And TS, another good read. Not sure what the poster above meant by a more emotional narrator, but maybe you could try to expand on the characters a bit. Perhaps write a little more about who they are and why they do certain thing. What motivated them to volunteer for this expedition and such? Otherwise I'm looking forward to the decision next week!

Simark.png

@Sire Mark 2: I think thats what he meant... But do not worry, the next chapters will make up plenty of that...

I'm pleased to see the feedback getting more positive as the story progresses... If the trend continues, then by the time it is completed should people not only be able to judge the story as a whole (this is obviously a very typical case of not being able to judge a book by its cover), but :ohnoes: :pray: i hope that people will like it even better than the individual chapters...

Oh yeah; also expect more artwork included :) There should've been one in the prologue, but a scanner died... When it's up and included in that article, I'll have Racheya notify everyone in her original post :)

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Re the second article, there's not much for me to say except "Cool story, bro." It's a lot of words and sentences without saying anything meaningful. The game is different now than it was some months ago, so what? What's your point? Why am I even reading this?

Loving the story! like, omg will they stay or go :ohnoes:

As for the editorials, not much to say on them

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Re: Whether You Love It or Hate It, You Simply Cant Ignore It:

A great example of this controversy is Dungeoneering. Yes, its probably a cliché to talk about it now, however the issue is not what is right, wrong, good, or bad about it; rather the fact that you simply can not ignore it or any of the other major updates that have been implemented.

Actually, we can do just that. The last time I checked, Dung isn't compulsory. It has no bearing on my gameplay, nor is it something thats on my RS Bucket List.

First being that the updates are here to stay. Jagex will not simply erase an update that they have worked for and announced.

That decision is in Jagex hands. But there's no way they can force my participation. I make my own decisions on which content I partake in and which I dont.

If I dont want to PK, then I stay off PK worlds. The final decision is mine.

If I dont want to build Dahmarocs statue, I drop the rocks or turn them off. The final decision is mine.

etc. al. ad infinitum

The second is that, whatever the end result of the released material may be, it will have a lasting effect that simply won't be overlooked.

Lasting effects can be both positive and negative. That doesnt make the content any more compelling.

The third is simply to try it. Having fun is a huge part of RuneScape and if one never tries or experiences some newfangled element of gameplay, how can an argument be made against it?

Been there, done that, made my decision, done with Dung.

We have people who don't train any number of skills. Yet, when people say they arent training Dung, it raises hackles.

Why can't those of you who like it simply accept the fact that there are as many, if not more, who despise it? Live and let live.

I don't expect Jagex to retroactively correct the taxonomy of Dung - but as I said earlier, its not on my Bucket List either.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

If you don't like fast experience in P2P... we've got a place for you in F2p. :wink:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

lordkafei, you missed the point of my entire article.

What I'm trying to say is, while you and others like you go around saying that dungeoneering should exist, that you're never going to do it etc. The effects of it are too widespread for you to pretend that daemonheim was never released.

Can you ignore a constant drop in godsword prices thanks to chaotic weaponry? Can you ignore getting one-upped at a boss fight because of chaotic weaponry or a shield? Can you ignore the almost constant drop in prices since dungeoneering's release? How about the decreasing cost of prayer from frost dragon bones or the fact that people are now able to deal even more damage with magic when using an arcane necklace? [/Rhetoricalquestions]

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

Concerning the first article,

Players who ignore any aspects of this game only have themselves to blame if they can't compete with others. This goes from dungeoneering and other skills, to quest and to minigames.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

lordkafei, you missed the point of my entire article.

We'll see who missed the point...

What I'm trying to say is, while you and others like you go around saying that dungeoneering should exist, that you're never going to do it etc. The effects of it are too widespread for you to pretend that daemonheim was never released.

Can you ignore a constant drop in godsword prices thanks to chaotic weaponry?

Yes, I can. I don't merch godswords or use them.

Can you ignore getting one-upped at a boss fight because of chaotic weaponry or a shield?

Boss fighting? Not my cup of tea. Strike two.

Can you ignore the almost constant drop in prices since dungeoneering's release? How about the decreasing cost of prayer from frost dragon bones or the fact that people are now able to deal even more damage with magic when using an arcane necklace? [/Rhetoricalquestions]

And now we get to the trickle-down effects, which really were a side point in the article, and all seem to be based around benefits to PvP or boss fighting.

I've been to a few of the resource dungeons, but none are really compelling enough (IMO) to justify jumping the Dung hurdles. If they make it worthwhile to you, then hurray. I can get by & thrive without them, thanks.

Without detailing the rewards, let’s just say I’ve looked at what’s in the shop and I see nothing compelling.

The only real changes it's made in my day-to-day routine is (1) free teleport to assist effigies and (2) the neutering of Tears of Guthix (Dung is my low "skill").

So yes, I can realistically ignore the effects. We don’t all play the game the same way or even play the same parts of the game, and that's the point that you missed.

Enjoy your content, but please don't preach to me that I have to play the game that way, because quite frankly, I don't. And Jagex will take my money every month just as gladly as they take yours.

Q. E. D.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

People rightfully (after asking some friends to look at it) didn't understand my article. I'll see if I c an publish an addendum next week :)

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Heh, I can definitly relate to the second article. I've been back now for a few months, and I'm still in the process of getting used to how things are right now, after my WoW-break of a few years.

As for the first, well, prolonged exposure to various MMO-forums kind of lead me to believe that people will complain about everything ever. As a result, I can't say I've given the subject much thought myself as I just take all the complaining for granted :P nice to see some deeper thoughts on it.

I commend the author of the first article for bringing up this important issue. I have a similar thread on "constructive critisism" in the RSOF entitled "Is Elitism Good?" that addresses the same issue of ever increasing content and how it is dividing the community. I'm glad someone else shares my views.

The second article sums up exactly the way ive been feeling about runescape for the past couple of months.

Because of real life situations i have not been able to play much at all and slowly it seems runescape is leaving me behind. I find it harder and harder to keep up to date with the economy and new training methods.

Maybe one day I will be able to get back up to pace with the rest of the community.

great article TS

De_Toke.png
max.png
Quest cape since Jan. 30th, '08

The 2nd article isnt mine :) Thats Deathmaths, a clanmate...

The fictional is from my hands though :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!