Dungeoneering Again

Seraphi

Hello, and welcome to the nth reincarnation of the dungeoneering game. I may not have modded for a fairly long time, but I'm sure I can manage it for a while. This version will once again be played over IRC, inspired by Archi's brilliant Space system, and to the ire of Iconic's everywhere.

I'll be using a more structured schedule, to avoid mental collapse, and I may be implementing some other gimmicks/features (Call them what you will). The system is much the same, you tell me what you want to do, I roll on it, you gain xp. The xp system was waaay too flexible in the first iteration, too, meaning that will need some work as well. The dice are going to be a tad more lenient, and you will no longer forget how to breath and die because you attempted to jump over a foot high wall, since that sort of thing will be taken for granted now. The system I was thinking about is thus: As you get to a higher level, you stop needing to roll on things which are very simple, and the DC limit of things which are harder for you is higher. To make it simple, I'll use the example below.

If you wanted to use a fireball at level 5, you would only need to get a 3 or so for the action to be successful, with no chance of a critical failure. However, if, in the same session, you decided you wanted to summon a meteor to pulverise a 200 year old fortress, the DC would be closer to 20, with anything below a 10 making you critically fail and in all likelihood annihilate yourself and anyone around you. In the middle, if you wanted to use some kind of sweeping laser, the DC would be 8, with only a 2 or lower being a critical failure.

A schedule will be sorted out at the next available oppurtunity. Games will likely take place on Fridays, Saturdays, and Tuesdays, from 5PM GMT onwards. There may be a break each session around 6:30/7:00, due to the need to eat.

The setting is standard fantasy, but in this particular world, magic has only just been discovered. A spell list will be compiled as we play, and as the players create more powerful spells. You will have a certain amount of stamina for casting magic or doing different things, but I will never tell you this number, and will only give you rough indicators such as "You feel a tad tired" or "You are completely exhausted".

Now, to begin. You must post your character in the following format:

[hide]

Name

Background (Optional but appreciated)

Appearance (Optional but appreciated)

Alignment/Personality (Optional, but very much appreciated)

Traits (I know some poeple are not going to like this, but it is for the best. I'm trying to keep it as free as possible, but this speeds up the introduction to the game. You have 25 points to put into these. They will never be referenced as numbers and statistics again, it is simply to give me a rough idea of what your character is)

-Strength (How strong you are. Affects things like damage dealt, ability to move and carry things)

-Skill (Agility, dexterity and athleticism)

-Toughness (How resiliant you are to pain and injury)

-Charisma (Your ability to influence people)

-Willpower(Magical ability and concentration)

Inventory (Leave empty, will be used later)

[/hide]

To play, join the channel (Will be posted before each session on either the post below or the last page of the thread), and use /me to describe your actions. If you are trying to talk to an NPC, you use /me"[speech here]". Anything else, such as group discussion or OOC chat can be posted as normal without the /me.

Secret actions can be PMed to me, but remember that I wont be telling you what your roll result was, so if you accidentily leave evidence, somebody else may find it.

Most importantly of all, have fun. It isn't about winning, so don't think you have to be the best to play the game. Just roll with it, if you'll forgive the utterly awful pun.

2Xeo5.png

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=Characters]

[hide=Icu]

Name Frederick Maplewise

Background: Frederick Maplewise came from the long line of the Maplewise family, who're known craftsman, primarily in the glass sculpting business. Taking over his fathers business when he was just 16, Frederick was rather new to the whole business world and his families company quickly faltered and he had entered bankrupcy. Disheartened by his failiure, Frederick ran away from home to perfect his glass blowing technique, it was then he discovered his magical energies. Emerging from a few months of living in the wilderness, Frederick is ready to return to the city that once shunned him and to reopen his fathers business.

Appearance Shoulder length light red hair, almost ginger in a way. His eyes are hazel and piercing. He is rather tall, but not lanky and fills out. Some could say handsome, but months in the harsh wilderness have not done well for his appearence.

Alignment/Personality: Neutral Good

Traits

-Strength 2

-Skill 3

-Toughness 2

-Charisma 9

-Willpower 9

Inventory Empty

[/hide]

[hide=Archi]

Name:

Elderflower, The Younger (Prefers Flame Walker Xarax)

Background:

Elderflower was born to the druid peoples of the Millenium Forest, where she she grew strongly apart from the naturalistic way of life. At first her parents believed this was just teenage rebellion, but at her 18th Birthday, when she was supposed to choose her path, she chose to become a Flame Walker, spreading the 'Blasted Earth' which the druids sort to keep at bay. Within a week she had left the encampment, never to return, heading across the Broken sea to the Howling Steppes, calling to the heavens to grant her the title Flame Walker Xarax.

Appearance:

Deep red skin, the kind your get if you are in a bath that is too hot. She wears a robe, cut off above the knee, of crimson, with silver trim. She has no hair, shaving fully every day.

Her pupils are dark red, the mark of a Flame Walker, with the iris surrounding them a silver with red fleks.

Alignment/Personality:

Guided only by the will of Jeremiah, the God of the Flame.

Traits:

-Strength 1

-Skill 5

-Toughness 6

-Charisma 1

-Willpower 13

[/hide]

[hide=Mask]

Name: Jack

Background: Born to an unremarkable family, became a mercenary because he felt he could get paid to challenge himself.

Appearance: Mid-length dark hair, average height and build. Average in pretty much any other way. Scar across his left forearm from a job.

Alignment/Personality:

Cold and ruthless, though ultimately not a bad person. Dedicated to whatever he sets his mind to, often to the point of obsession, and never forgets a failure. Kind of a thrill-seeker, which led to his occupation.

-Strength 6

-Skill 7

-Toughness 3

-Charisma 3

-Willpower 6

Inventory

[/hide]

[hide=Pies]

Name: Colin McAntosh

Background: My typical background for games like this: street rat, nobody know where he's from, blah blah blah.

Appearance: Short, skinny guy with bright orange hair.

Alignment/Personality: Neutral Chaotic. Will take any means necessary to get what he needs, and will usually go a little overboard if it involves fire, napalm, fireballs or explosions.

Traits:

-Strength 4

-Skill 6

-Toughness 7

-Charisma 2

-Willpower 6

Inventory

[/hide]

[hide=Earth]

Name:Earth

Background: Comming from a poor family living deep in the woods, Earth grew up around plants. He lived plants, ate plants, and breathed them. On returning home one day from collecting various plants for his family to sell, he found his home on fire, looted. When he put out the fire, eventually,he found his parents charred bodies in the wreckage. After several moments of (Insert medival equivelent of a nerd) Rage, he discovered he could bend plants to his will. SO, after training for a while, he began heading out, looking for gold and other such commodities, think that if he ran into whoever set his home on fire, he would strnagle them with rose bushes.

Appearance: tall, brown hair, green eyes, tan, and often carries plants with him.

Alignment/Personality: Neutrel, unless something attacks him or pisses him off to much, he won't try to kill it.

Traits

-Strength 5

-Skill 5

-Toughness 5

-Charisma 5

-Willpower 5

Inventory

[/hide]

[hide=Mather]

Name: Håkon

Background: No one is sure exactly what has happened to him and how he ended up here, the only thing known about his background is his Scandinavian origin.

Appearance: Muscular, tall and broad, long dark-blonde hair and blue eyes, skin is bronzed from exposure to sun but looks almost brown from dirt, he is riddled with scars from his countless battles.

Alignment/Personality: Generally heroic and will do his best for others, never flees from a battle and never shows an oponent mercy, prone to... randomness...

Traits:

-Strength 8

-Skill 4

-Toughness 5

-Charisma 1

-Willpower 7

Inventory:

[/hide]

[hide=Retech]

Name: Jen

Background: A scholar that has recently felt the pull and allure of harnessing the power of magic. She recently began research into the field of ice magic. Unfortunately, the tomes in the local wizardly libraries contained hardly any information, forcing her to travel out into the wild to search for it herself. The death of her family and her lover meant that she had no personal ties to keep her from pursuing her quest, so that she could have the power and not be pushed around, because she was "just a woman."

Appearance: Her skin has grown pale from years of indoor living, making her look somewhat ghostly. Her icy blonde hair and chilling blue stare honed from years of convincing people through intimidation and knowledge rather than strength help add to this frightening effect. She prefers to wear shapeless robes, usually with a cowl or hood that covers most of her face.

Alignment/Personality: Neutral/Chaotic Good. Her quest in life was to attain power so that she wouldn't be pushed around and could project strength, but it was not to the exclusion of helping the weak. She has little patience for the strongman, but it wouldn't stop her from aligning herself with evil forces to gain the power she desired.

Traits

-Strength 2

-Skill 4

-Toughness 3

-Charisma 8

-Willpower 8

Inventory

[/hide]

[hide=Grim]

Name: Cagoro Caenili

Background: The son of a local carpenter Cagoro learned his fathers trade to an extent. After a time he heard of the wonders of adventuring and decided to leave home much to the chagrin of his parents. He has become obsessed with the acquisition of wealth and looks to the destruction of monsters as the easiest way (with the least repercussions). So essentially a monster hunter with an obsession about gold.

Appearance: Of moderate height with no obvious scars. He has brown hair and hazel eyes with a long face and a deep voice.

Alignment/Personality : Neutral evil, in the does whatever is necessary to achieve his goals sense (rather than the tortures kittens for fun sense)

Traits

-Strength 5

-Skill 5

-Toughness 7

-Charisma 3

-Willpower 5

Inventory

[/hide]

[hide=Nex]

Name

Faust

Appearance (Optional but appreciated)

Short, white hair. Eyes appear a very light, almost white, grey and shift slightly in light.

Alignment/Personality

Neutral Good.

Traits

-Strength 2

-Skill 3

-Toughness 5

-Charisma 6

-Willpower 9

Inventory

[/hide]

[/hide]

[hide=Spell List]

[hide=Format]

Spell name -

Difficulty - (On a scale of 1-10. Does not relate to spell level, and is mainly to make my life easier)

Effect -

First Usage -

[/hide]

[/hide]

[hide=Map]

mapr0.png[/hide]

2Xeo5.png

Christoph Dashk

Born in an isolated Serb villge and abandoned by his parents he was taken by the village elders, being taught in nearly everything ranging from languages to acrobatics. At only age seven he decided to explore the world and left the village with only the clothes on his back and a sharp flint. Over his time he managed to get jobs in different citys but at heart he was a traveller and travelled to places all over the world selling his skills and learning new ones.

At age ten he realised that everyone has magic in them and therefore kills people for his scientific purposes, he does this so he can sell illegal potions for money and conduct experiments.

Now at age twenty he remains a traveller and is currently residing

Tanned, Musculus, Blonde haired,

[hide]stamper2.jpg[/hide]

Neutral Evil (But appears Lawful Good)

-Strength: 10

-Skill: 10

-Toughness: 0

-Charisma: 5

-Willpower: 0

Inventory:

[Falador tavern]

What's skill?

And are we having a session today?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

First: THE PUN AT THE END SINGED MY SOUL.

Second:

Name: Colin McAntosh

Background: My typical background for games like this: street rat, nobody know where he's from, blah blah blah.

Appearance: Short, skinny guy with bright orange hair.

Alignment/Personality: Neutral Chaotic. Will take any means necessary to get what he needs, and will usually go a little overboard if it involves fire, napalm, fireballs or explosions.

Traits:

-Strength 4

-Skill 6

-Toughness 7

-Charisma 2

-Willpower 6

a70c7.png

Name:Earth

Background: Comming from a poor family living deep in the woods, Earth grew up around plants. He lived plants, ate plants, and breathed them. On returning home one day from collecting various plants for his family to sell, he found his home on fire, looted. When he put out the fire, eventually,he found his parents charred bodies in the wreckage. After several moments of (Insert medival equivelent of a nerd) Rage, he discovered he could bend plants to his will. SO, after training for a while, he began heading out, looking for gold and other such commodities, think that if he ran into whoever set his home on fire, he would strnagle them with rose bushes.

Appearance: tall, brown hair, green eyes, tan, and often carries plants with him.

Alignment/Personality: Neutrel, unless something attacks him or pisses him off to much, he won't try to kill it.

Traits (I know some poeple are not going to like this, but it is for the best. I'm trying to keep it as free as possible, but this speeds up the introduction to the game. You have 25 points to put into these. They will never be referenced as numbers and statistics again, it is simply to give me a rough idea of what your character is)

-Strength 5

-Skill 5

-Toughness 5

-Charisma 5

-Willpower 5

Magic/skills:

1.5 Nature magic

0.1 Necromancey

0.2 Axes

Yay for D&D format!

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Name: Håkon (use alt+0741 for å, alternatively Haakon)

Background: No one is sure exactly what has happened to him and how he ended up here, the only thing known about his background is his Scandinavian origin.

Appearance: Muscular, tall and broad, long dark-blonde hair and blue eyes, skin is bronzed from exposure to sun but looks almost brown from dirt, he is riddled with scars from his countless battles.

Alignment/Personality: Generally heroic and will do his best for others, never flees from a battle and never shows an oponent mercy, prone to... randomness...

Traits:

-Strength 8

-Skill 4

-Toughness 5

-Charisma 1

-Willpower 7

Inventory:

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

So which skill is generally good for general wizardry? Basically equivilant to intelligence in DnD.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

IConic, your charecter has 5 more ppoints than allowed.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Still 5 extra.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Name: Jen

Background: A scholar that has recently felt the pull and allure of harnessing the power of magic. She recently began research into the field of ice magic. Unfortunately, the tomes in the local wizardly libraries contained hardly any information, forcing her to travel out into the wild to search for it herself. The death of her family and her lover meant that she had no personal ties to keep her from pursuing her quest, so that she could have the power and not be pushed around, because she was "just a woman."

Appearance: Her skin has grown pale from years of indoor living, making her look somewhat ghostly. Her icy blonde hair and chilling blue stare honed from years of convincing people through intimidation and knowledge rather than strength help add to this frightening effect. She prefers to wear shapeless robes, usually with a cowl or hood that covers most of her face.

Alignment/Personality: Neutral/Chaotic Good. Her quest in life was to attain power so that she wouldn't be pushed around and could project strength, but it was not to the exclusion of helping the weak. She has little patience for the strongman, but it wouldn't stop her from aligning herself with evil forces to gain the power she desired.

Traits

-Strength 2

-Skill 4

-Toughness 3

-Charisma 8

-Willpower 8

Could I ask a couple of questions? For one, would you allow wild magic as it is being played in "THE GAME" (Nature magic on steroids which has a pretty much random effect [in that I can summon an animal but I have no clue what will turn up]).

Name: Cagoro Caenili

Background: The son of a local carpenter Cagoro learned his fathers trade to an extent. After a time he heard of the wonders of adventuring and decided to leave home much to the chagrin of his parents. He has become obsessed with the acquisition of wealth and looks to the destruction of monsters as the easiest way (with the least repercussions). So essentially a monster hunter with an obsession about gold.

Appearance: Of moderate height with no obvious scars. He has brown hair and hazel eyes with a long face and a deep voice.

Alignment/Personality : Neutral evil, in the does whatever is necessary to achieve his goals sense (rather than the tortures kittens for fun sense)

Traits

-Strength 5

-Skill 5

-Toughness 7

-Charisma 3

-Willpower 5

LNYvk.png

No Iconic. Life does not work that way.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

If I kill a man can I harvest his brain and gain knowledge from him.

No. God no.

Why would you even think that?

As to your questions, Grim, I suppose wild magic will work, but it will have less of a gap between failure and success, meaning it will generally hideously fail, or succeed, no "It goes poof and nothing happens".

2Xeo5.png