24-Nov-2010 - Tasks and Skill Targets

Pirkka

i think this update is good way to help new players.

I kinda got scared when i saw a bunch of text spam when i logged in.

The pop ups reminded me of the achievements on major gaming systems.

i am a quest cape person so i went to lumby to collect my reward i thought it was gonna suck

nope free 600k+ hey im happy free money but could this cause problems later on?

Kingmickez25.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

checking some data people gave here, they're giving 2k per task, that seems somewhat extreme for tasks like "congratulations, you just moved by running"

Imagine this for lower level players, though. Newbies starting the game would find that sort of money invaluable!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

i'm not saying it's bad, but 2k just for running seems unbalanced. It may be a way for jagex to try make items more accesible for new players, but i feel this can only cause more inflation.

EDIT: just realized i'm wrong, each task gives different amounts of money, running gives 640 gp. Though iI still think it's a lot just for running.

checking some data people gave here, they're giving 2k per task, that seems somewhat extreme for tasks like "congratulations, you just moved by running"

Imagine this for lower level players, though. Newbies starting the game would find that sort of money invaluable!

Depends on if we want the game that easy for noobs or not.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Ahhh, I remember standing around world 2 for hours trying to get the armor I wanted. Now I can just go buy them within a few seconds.

Good old days. :thumbup:

You mean newbies? Well when you're at a low level even if you have that sort of money it's unlikely there's gonna be *very* much use for it yet. It's just a nice start, I think, saves them from running around asking for geepees.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Mixed emotions for this part of the update.

(Rant rant rant below)

Tasks. It's rather pretty, but there seems to be a lot of clicking just to search and find out information about one task, making it a tad confusing. Granted, there is a fair bit more information once you click on the task, and I like the feature where they display what the requirements are for that specific task. They probably should separate the corresponding diary tasks more clearly; I can't tell which ones are which. And there are SO MANY TASKS (and a few are just random). :blink:

It's not all bad though, because I actually now have the urge to go do these tasks. And the new emote for completing all of them is HOT. DO WANT. :ohnoes:

Skill targets. It's a lot more friendly than the Objectives system in terms of setting goals, which I'm going to like a lot. However that text size is ungodly small compared to before. That's going to hurt the eyes of a few; even I can't see it very well. Hopefully they'll make it bigger. :shock:

Oh, and now that they've removed that tab where objectives once went, I always have the urge to click it now...It's so inviting! :mad: (I wonder what's going to go there in the future...)

tl;dr version: Great concepts, meh execution.

siggy.png

Quest cape first achieved September 20, 2010

534/534 Tasks completed. Taskmaster first achieved June 23, 2012

You mean newbies? Well when you're at a low level even if you have that sort of money it's unlikely there's gonna be *very* much use for it yet. It's just a nice start, I think, saves them from running around asking for geepees.

I use noob and newbie interchangeably. I use idiot for what some people call "noob". Its a more fitting title.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

omfg runescape achievments failfailfailfailfail. Please jagex please just stop. It's Not fun It's not ingenieous. Popups every where @!#@!#@@@!!ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED@!@!!@@!!@!@]

If i wanted achievements to spam my computer monitor i would just play duuh

Petition to REMOVE "tasks" aka achievements.

Or you could open your eyes and check the option in the interface that disables the achievement popups

*shrug*

Yeah, because a 5 pixel X 5 pixel square with no labeling hidden away in the bottom left corner of a menu that you have open yourself is really that easy to find. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is that easy to find

Hooray, newbies! Jagex should start making it harder for new players, and the video game equivalent of natural selection would prevent a good percentage of idiots from playing

Also, of course newbies would find it invaluable; the OP already said that the reward was too high

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

The amount of money you get as a reward is on a sliding scale based on your number of tasks completed it seems. If you have a new account, you only get 10 coins for completing a task.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

I can't seem to unlock the "Am I a Blademaster Yet?" task. I've killed a rat using all four combat styles, and I've even repeated it several times, to no avail. Is the task b0rked?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I can't seem to unlock the "Am I a Blademaster Yet?" task. I've killed a rat using all four combat styles, and I've even repeated it several times, to no avail. Is the task b0rked?

Not sure if you already did, but try killing four rats, each with a different style, at the lumbridge swamp.

That worked for me

Yay, that worked! Thanks for your help. :)

I was killing the rats in the castle, which didn't work for some reason.

edit: Another strange thing: the task did not disappear from my task panel until I logged out and back in. It seems that the new task system is a bit buggy.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Not sure if you already did, but try killing four rats, each with a different style, at the lumbridge swamp.

That worked for me

1. Make sure you're killing GIANT rats... it didn't count when I killed the tiny ones. Go kill them in Lumbridge swamp.

2. Don't change your attack style until after the rat has disappeared. If you kill it on accurate but switch to aggressive before its death animation is complete, it counts as an aggressive kill.

77yLQy8.png

For the rat task, the "controlled" option does NOT work on scimitars and maces... just a heads up.

Also, a lot of these tasks are too overly easy... and ultimately pointless. But at least the ability to do certain Varrock/Falador tasks in f2p is nice.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I actually had some fun doing these. :D

Plus hey, something to look forward to for completing ALL the diaries. Shame there's no way I'll be able to do that in the near future. :lol: Oh well. I honestly like this style better, even though it feels a bit too much like WoW for me with the little window popping up. I still love it though! :D

Weird update this... It is more confusing and +- the same as the old achievement diaries, why change them? <_<

And is this update bugged?

For me:

Lumbridge 120/120 completed

Varrock 62/62 completed

Falador 44/44 completed

Seers 40/40 completed

Ardougne 61/61 completed

Karamje 47/47 completed

Fremennik 39/39 completed

DDs 0/0

gives 413/417 tasks completed

Yesterday I tried catching implings and I defeated Bork, task total didn't update. <_<

Weird update this... It is more confusing and +- the same as the old achievement diaries, why change them? <_<

And is this update bugged?

For me:

Lumbridge 120/120 completed

Varrock 62/62 completed

Falador 44/44 completed

Seers 40/40 completed

Ardougne 61/61 completed

Karamje 47/47 completed

Fremennik 39/39 completed

DDs 0/0

gives 413/417 tasks completed

Yesterday I tried catching implings and I defeated Bork, task total didn't update. <_<

There are 4 hidden tasks in Lumby (cut a log, burn a log, catch a crayfish, cook a crayfish).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention