What happened to this community?

gremmy

Basically, I was browsing some old screenshot/movies topics, and came across a few quotes..

70rangece2.jpg

:twss:

Response:

Congratz on 70 range!

On another page of that topic...

i decided to celebrate my 1500 total with buying a sara sword :D

ss.jpg

Wow, nice! :' />

If anybody posted level 70 ranged, or announced their purchase of a weapon to celebrate 1500 total level, I cannot imagine the amount of flaming that person would have to put up with. Did the nice players just dissapear? Or were they driven away by the [wagon] of the community? What happened to common courtesy that once was a part of these forums? I've always seen the Tip.it forums as one of the nicer fan-sites, as opposed to the PK'er flooded RSC, or the uncontrollable RSOF.

Is it me, or did something horribly go wrong somewhere?

What happened, Tif?

Edit: after reading some comments..

I'm sorry if you find it annoying, but I just haven't seen those threads, and I'm genuinely wondering what happened. In my subjective eyes, the community have changed. Maybe I've changed, maybe it's a natural tendency, I don't know, but I certainly didn't create it to offend anyone. :mellow:

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nice players are still here. They probably just don't bother to post things anymore, because then they'll get flamed for being nice or something.

This.

They are still out there, it is just harder to find them since the 'negative' people draw all the attention.

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

lol 70 ranged.

I think TIF (or GD anyway) is more focused on solving problems than just being a light-hearted, conversational forum. Personally, I love the paradigm shift. TIF is easily the best place to go when you need to know cold hard facts and the best way to do something, whereas the RSOF, RSC, etc, have very little of that. I've browsed RSC's GD board, and it's mostly just "what if...?" kinda stuff.

Whether or not you like the more knowledgeable posters, there's no question of whether or not they help the community -- they do. I have clan chats and my blog for light-hearted discussion. I have TIF for when I need knowledge and know-how.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

It'd be a poor community if everyone was trying to be nice about everything. I actually enjoy people using varied replies for different situations that might not be nice, but are entertaining and truthful(sarcasm, minor flaming, pseudo-trolling etc).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

1.) Rose tinted glasses.

2.) Those were bigger achievements then compared to now.

3.) People are more apt to congratulate people they know/are friends with then randoms.

4.) LOL @ Medoxy. "negative"...what a joke. Anyone who ever disagrees with how someone "Wants to play the game" Is a troll@@@@@@@

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Everyone seems to have the mindset that if you aren't doing it the most efficient way, you are doing it the wrong way and shouldn't be doing it that way at all. Fun? Who needs it if I'm doing it the most efficient way! Go to page 66 on the current Pictures thread. Case and point.

That's what I've seen on the pictures thread for a while anyway. Wasn't the one before the current thread closed because of a huge flame war over the best way to kill Tormented Demons or something?

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

It is those nice people which encouraged me to keep a blog of my low level achievements, but I was driven away by people who just treated you like [cabbage] because you have such low levels.

After the game is about having fun, and fun can preside at all levels, as opposed to being the best.

lampost_sig_stark.png

i think our current elitist attitude is due to the recent obsession with maximizing efficiency

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Everyone seems to have the mindset that if you aren't doing it the most efficient way, you are doing it the wrong way and shouldn't be doing it that way at all. Fun? Who needs it if I'm doing it the most efficient way! Go to page 66 on the current Pictures thread. Case and point.

That's what I've seen on the pictures thread for a while anyway. Wasn't the one before the current thread closed because of a huge flame war over the best way to kill Tormented Demons or something?

Maybe you shouldn't be asking the BEST way to do something if you don't really want to do it.... (Q/A, GD)

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

I honestly don't notice a difference between the community now and two years ago. The only difference is the derision is not aimed towards 'outsiders' but people who are less experienced at the game. Otherwise the substantiation discussion, great update discussion topics, and decent clan section are as stable as ever.

But c'mon now. This is easily the third or fourth thread about it though. First one might've been a good step to get change going, second was a bit repetitive, third and anything afterwards is just white noise. Just report trolls/rule-breaking posts; mods are quick to lock bad threads lately which is has its own list of pros and cons, but that's a discussion for a different thread. Best way to change this is just to let your ignore list grow sleek and happy and keep being good people.

hzvjpwS.gif

There's really no accident here; TIF has been completely flooded by clowns who consider "condescending, elitist, mean" as characteristic qualities of intelligence, and "supportive, gregarious, pleasant" as the traits of the weak and the stupid.

The trolls on this board are COMPLETELY UNCHECKED, and toe the line that separates berating the community or just being a general pest from technically breaking the rules.

Until these people are finally just removed once and for all (and it is no secret to anyone in moderation, administration, etc. who they are), the board will continue to trend towards being a more vile and generally caustic environment.

stormveritas.png

There's really no accident here; TIF has been completely flooded by clowns who consider "condescending, elitist, mean" as characteristic qualities of intelligence, and "supportive, gregarious, pleasant" as the traits of the weak and the stupid.

The trolls on this board are COMPLETELY UNCHECKED, and toe the line that separates berating the community or just being a general pest from technically breaking the rules.

Until these people are finally just removed once and for all (and it is no secret to anyone in moderation, administration, etc. who they are), the board will continue to trend towards being a more vile and generally caustic environment.

Interesting stance, considering that this statement is far more "attacking" then most of what any of the people you call "elitist" use. Oh the irony?

Until these people are finally just removed once and for all (and it is no secret to anyone in moderation, administration, etc. who they are)

Ya see, based on some of your posts, I'd consider you more a troll then almost anyone on this board, save two other people. Its all a matter of perspective, something which you should learn.

Stonewall337.png

So you want to ban people who follow the rules because they're not likable? It doesn't work that way.

Just put them on your ignore list. Not a hard concept. And if they are breaking the rules? Report them. They will get banned eventually if they persist. But moderators take great lengths to try to educate users rather than just slap them on the wrist and put them in the naughty corner. It's a commendable effort, but it means the community has to work with them to help them. Outright shunning/ostracizing is not the answer to this problem either...not in the long term, anyway.

hzvjpwS.gif

Interesting stance, considering that this statement is far more "attacking" then most of what any of the people you call "elitist" use. Oh the irony?

Agreed, and this is where a lot of the "trolling" starts -- people who harass the more informative players are usually staff or friends with staff, so they can't get in trouble for many of the downright rude and abrasive comments they make.

dgs5.jpg

Do you honestly feel that my claims are off the mark, unfair, or unwarranted? I think this your post here is what you'd term "Baiting", right?

There's nothing coincidental about my statement. Folks like yourself are simply not called on the carpet despite the fact that you continually look for threads to sour and people to upset.

There is also nothing ironic about my statement. Would you like me to take fifteen minutes to search the archives for the plentiful examples of TIF trolls needlessly assaulting posters simply trying to add their honest input?

-Edit-

Obtauran, the fact that you jumped on to further incite flames only cements my point.

stormveritas.png

Do you honestly feel that my claims are off the mark, unfair, or unwarranted? I think this your post here is what you'd term "Baiting", right?

There's nothing coincidental about my statement. Folks like yourself are simply not called on the carpet despite the fact that you continually look for threads to sour and people to upset.

There is also nothing ironic about my statement. Would you like me to take fifteen minutes to search the archives for the plentiful examples of TIF trolls needlessly assaulting posters simply trying to add their honest input?

Once again, your post is far more rude than Stonewall's. You're the one baiting, Storm. It's quite uncalled for.

EDIT in response to your edit: Exactly what I mean.

dgs5.jpg

So you want to ban people who follow the rules because they're not likable? It doesn't work that way.

No, I would like to remove people whom systematically go out of their way to make the entire board a bad place to be. We have plenty here, and it is the reason why there are so many "Why is this place so miserable" threads.

stormveritas.png

-Edit-

Obtauran, the fact that you jumped on to further incite flames only cements my point.

No, its what I honestly felt, and I said it. Many of the people who honestly break rules, or post ignorant stuff and then get mad when called on it are staff, or friends of staff. To my knowledge, the staff has NEVER changed their mind on anything, without either extreme public pressure, or something similar.

Stonewall337.png

No, I would like to remove people whom systematically go out of their way to make the entire board a bad place to be. We have plenty here, and it is the reason why there are so many "Why is this place so miserable" threads.

Then report them when they break the rules so the staff can do their job. If you want a great community, you have to be an active participant. It does no good to go all-out and confront the people you don't like in public like you're on some moral crusade--it actually exacerbates the problem. And if they're not breaking the rules but just being blunt you could possibly try talking to them in private? Or if that task is too distasteful there's the ignore list, which is easily the 3rd time mentioning this XD.

hzvjpwS.gif

So make a list, send it to an admin, and cross your fingers. I'm sure an admin would gladly go through my 4k+ posts and determine whether not I (as I'm obviously on your list) can be considered a troll. It's quite clear that you have an aversion to posters who attempt to help others by presenting facts and tested methods, simply because they use sarcasm or point out flaws in other peoples' arguments. That's not trolling, that's being helpful.

In fact, why don't you go through my posts right now, Storm. See for yourself how many posts I've made in H&A and GD wherein I've helped other players or contributed to the discussion. It's people like you, the people who scream "GTFO EFFICIENCY CLOWN" who ruin threads. We've had plenty of instances of perfectly good threads that have been derailed because an intelligent and informed poster attempted to help someone else, only to be called names by less informed posters for being "efficient."

dgs5.jpg

The degeneration of this thread is hilarious and shockingly appropriate. Exemplifies why I avoid it like the plague.

I'm thinking that there are a lot of people that need some perspective.

If you think about it, who really wants to get wrapped up in this ridiculously vicious efficiency v. Inefficiency thing?