What happened to this community?

gremmy

We've had plenty of instances of perfectly good threads that have been derailed because an intelligent and informed poster attempted to help someone else, only to be called names by less informed posters for being "efficient."

If it happens like that in an offensive/disruptive context, it's probably reportable.

hzvjpwS.gif

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you want to ban people who follow the rules because they're not likable? It doesn't work that way.

No, I would like to remove people whom systematically go out of their way to make the entire board a bad place to be. We have plenty here, and it is the reason why there are so many "Why is this place so miserable" threads.

So make a list, send it to an admin, and cross your fingers. I'm sure an admin would gladly go through my 4k+ posts and determine whether not I (as I'm obviously on your list) can be considered a troll. It's quite clear that you have an aversion to posters who attempt to help others by presenting facts and tested methods, simply because they use sarcasm or point out flaws in other peoples' arguments. That's not trolling, that's being helpful.

In fact, why don't you go through my posts right now, Storm. See for yourself how many posts I've made in H&A and GD wherein I've helped other players or contributed to the discussion. It's people like you, the people who scream "GTFO EFFICIENCY CLOWN" who ruin threads. We've had plenty of instances of perfectly good threads that have been derailed because an intelligent and informed poster attempted to help someone else, only to be called names by less informed posters for being "efficient."

were you in grimy's cc when I proposed a H&A boycott? Honestly, some of these people fail to realize just how bad the advice they would be receiving would be with out us so called "efficient clowns"

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I didn't see Stormveritas mention efficiency at any point in his post. He just discussed how the community is degrading. It doesn't matter how efficient your methods of playing the game are, you can tell people how to do things in a civil manner without insulting or degrading them. There was no mention of "efficiency clowns" whatsoever.

Textbook example of someone proving their own point. Someone says "this community sucks", and the community comes rushing to prove them right.

Oddment1.png

I didn't see Stormveritas mention efficiency at any point in his post. He just discussed how the community is degrading. It doesn't matter how efficient your methods of playing the game are, you can tell people how to do things in a civil manner without insulting or degrading them. There was no mention of "efficiency clowns" whatsoever.

Textbook example of someone proving their own point. Someone says "this community sucks", and the community comes rushing to prove them right.

if you had read several other recent threads, you would see it was implied.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Let's please put an end to this back and forth argument. It's not appropriate to point fingers to call out trolls, rule-breakers or whatever. And just to clear things up, the administrative team does not show favour to certain groups of people or friends. If someone's friend is violating the rules it is our policy that the admin or moderator does not deal with it themselves and instead hands the situation over to someone else. This is to avoid any bias. Furthermore, someone said "we never see anything being done." Actions taken against users are not made public. If someone is warned or suspended or even banned, there is no way for the community to know unless the person in question tells them about it on another forum/messenger/etc. If you ever see someone violating the rules, report them and we will deal with it. But as someone else also mentioned, we cannot ban people for simply being annoying or because we dislike them.

Anyway you may continue discussing the community as the whole but please refrain from pointing fingers or calling people out, etc. If you would like to make any formal complaints about moderating or policies, create a thread in Forum Updates & Suggestions. If you would like to make a complaint about a specific user or staff member, please private message an administrator.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

What happened to this community? Simple. Instead of helping each other and accepting it when other people don't need or want help, we've decided to turn on ourselves and have those who do things for fun mock those who do it for efficiency, and vice versa. Instead of accepting each other's differences, we've turned to trying to change their differences into something we like more.

a70c7.png

I am actually also very disappointed in BlogScape :( I used to be very big on blogging back in 2006 and 2007 and during those times, BlogScape was an enjoyable and supportive place. These days, from what I've seen blogs are just pages and pages of spam and chatter that isn't even related to RuneScape :thumbdown:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

I think we've just kind of let BlogScape slip into "whatever" since blogs are kind of "personal space" and the forum has no post count. In the past the forum was in general a lot less spammy but we still had rules about no pointless bumping or off-topic comments, etc. But spam just wasn't all that common. Then I left staff and BlogScape for a while and came back and suddenly it seems like the place is just a huge mess. I'm not saying it got messed up because I wasn't there, but I'm saying because I was absent I don't know what happened. Now I guess it's almost like "abide by every rule except you're allowed to spam and go off-topic."

Furthermore, since it is "personal space" I reckon moderators don't have much reason to read through blogs so people get the idea that they can get away with breaking the rules (and in all honesty, I'm sure it does go unnoticed far more often than in other forums).

Posted Image

Let's please put an end to this back and forth argument. It's not appropriate to point fingers to call out trolls, rule-breakers or whatever. And just to clear things up, the administrative team does not show favour to certain groups of people or friends. If someone's friend is violating the rules it is our policy that the admin or moderator does not deal with it themselves and instead hands the situation over to someone else. This is to avoid any bias. Furthermore, someone said "we never see anything being done." Actions taken against users are not made public. If someone is warned or suspended or even banned, there is no way for the community to know unless the person in question tells them about it on another forum/messenger/etc. If you ever see someone violating the rules, report them and we will deal with it. But as someone else also mentioned, we cannot ban people for simply being annoying or because we dislike them.

Anyway you may continue discussing the community as the whole but please refrain from pointing fingers or calling people out, etc. If you would like to make any formal complaints about moderating or policies, create a thread in Forum Updates & Suggestions. If you would like to make a complaint about a specific user or staff member, please private message an administrator.

Bull [cabbage]. I've seen it time and time again. That you are blind to it is even worse. PM does nothing, so people take it to the board, as they should. Its tantamount to the right to "peacefully protest the gov't for redress of grievances".

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Personally I think the community has gotten worse, but it happens. Our community is fairly larger than a few years ago, when it was smaller and we all "knew" each other; in a sort of sense. A larger group will probably be more chaotic or argumentative, which just happens naturally I assume. Through I prefer to stay in off-topic for that reason, as it seems our community there isn't that big and we get like what, 1 new frequent poster monthly? Including the fact that we have little backgrounding, such as using a Runescape Account to try and show biased superiority.

vizardsig-1.png

I'll say it once more: please no posts that point fingers at who is trolling (or violating some other rules) and who is not.

Posted Image

I don't troll, I take apart arguments which are either faulty or wrong to begin with. If you don't understand the difference, that is not my fault. I'm blunt, and honest, but I don't try to make trouble, whereas a trolls solo purpose is to cause dissent.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Bull [cabbage]. I've seen it time and time again. That you are blind to it is even worse. PM does nothing, so people take it to the board, as they should. Its tantamount to the right to "peacefully protest the gov't for redress of grievances".

Since you are not in their shoes or a similar position it'd be quite difficult for you to understand how it's played out from their end. I am sure they do everything they can and more for the general betterment of the forum which includes dealing with disruptive behaviour. I see no logical reason for them to not.

I have noticed a gradual shift in the general attitude of users here, but it's more or less because of the decline of the entire Runescape community rather than just localized around Tip.it. Not to mention the old school users who were respected for their strong "do good" attitude who no longer post here because of real life obligations. All in all the cause is more (on average) from the newer community. I'm not trying to point fingers because well, you troublemakers know who you are. (There's no need for anyone else to point fingers too.)

j0xPu5R.png

We're not supposed to mention names, so I'm just going to say that reading through this thread will go a long answer the OP's question. Lol. Suppose I could throw in something about Elitists having taken over, subconsciously looking down on people, suggesting that you should be uber rich from merching and have chaotics and maxed combat stats.

*insert the ninja*

Wait, what?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I believe that the community is what it is, it's not just central to Tip.It, it's just what Runescape has moved to. And as much as I dislike the movement towards super-efficiency, it doesn't really stop me playing how I want to. I don't know ye olde community, but over the past 2 years I've seen it change a lot. I figure that just staying the same as always, trying to maintain a nice, friendly community is the best thing I can do to make things 'better'.

I think that if we need to become the change that we want to see (I'm sure I'm paraphrasing a quote there) since we ARE a part of that community that we're calling so degenerate.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

It's this kind of [cabbage] that's killing the community. Everyone is so convinced that they know everything and believe that they need to share it with EVERYONE, regardless of whether or not anyone else cares. And god forbid that someone might at fault, instead of taking responsibility you guys call each other trolls for not seeing the truth of your statements.

This is a collection of elitist know-it-alls screaming at each other. Nobody "takes apart arguments" or even argues at all for that matter. You guys are flaming each other and calling it debate. No one person is at fault, from what I've seen here everyone's equally guilty and too blind to admit it.

most people are asses these days ):

On the internet, but can't back it up irl. Heh!

So many reasons for your question, mate. Maybe the nice players just don't post much or just don't feel like it, retired, old, quit, you name it.

Too many high levels these days, so any low level accomplishments are look down. I'll just say "Greatz!" or something like that to players when they reached their wanted level :thumbup:

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

I believe that the community is what it is, it's not just central to Tip.It, it's just what Runescape has moved to. And as much as I dislike the movement towards super-efficiency, it doesn't really stop me playing how I want to. I don't know ye olde community, but over the past 2 years I've seen it change a lot.

^ This is basically word for word what I was thinking when I saw this thread...

Basically waht I've seen is if ya don't feed the trolls they eventually give up and go away.. (hopfully they get the hint that is)

As for the elitist..NO ONE CARES HOW "SUPER EFFICENT" YOU ARE BUT YOU. So for the kindness of the community stfu and gtfo, and let People play how they want to... :shame:

[/rant]

Why can't we all just get along...

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

I don't think anyone cares about how efficient anyone actually is. We care if they give inefficient advice, however.

DM0Yq2c.png