eReaders & eBooks

Racheya

I'm thinking about grabbing a Kobo reader (Border's reader). They're a hundred bucks and seem to do just as well as the Nook minus slower page turning. Thinking about getting that as an early birthday present so I can start reading all those wonderful cyberpunk and steampunk books I've never been able to get a hold of...

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• 5 months later...

I got an iPad2 through school - it is an okay PDF reader with the right app - but overall the machine is hella dissappointing for a $600 machine. You literally cannot download a file without jailbreaking the damn thing (which now it is). Without JB, you're stuck with the limited book options of the crap from Apple's CrapStore - which quite frankly sucks compared to the kindle library. 1 good thing though, the Kindle apps works perfectly on the iPad. So basically you have a kindle if you decide to go for the iPad.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

I would rather have a book than something electronic. I find it easier to get comfy with a good book more so than I would with a kindle, for example. I mean, imagine if you forgot to charge it, were in a really good place in the book and then the batteries died? No risk of that with a real book.

I have a lot of books, too. Various ages, and styles (so much so that I have about 3 bookcases to keep them all in and I'm still running out of room!). I will always buy books, even if I have to buy them second hand (which is what I do most of the time, a lot cheaper, in some respects).

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Personally i don't really like kindles because when i had one i could never really get comfy when holding it,

reason why i sold the damn thing i love books ive started reading a lot more recently, i don't really know why,

but holding a book in my hands is better than holding a soulless kindle because you can really feel yourself being

drawn into the book and the feeling of the paper between my fingers as i turn the page unlocks my mind deeper and

deeper into a book which gives a extra experience to the read along with the smell of the paper too.

Sorry if i went into too much detail but thats how it is.

Pfft @ you paper purists.

I don't like Kindle for having no color - but having an entire library on any ebook reader is pretty awesome stuff. As a student, it is a lifesaver not having to carry those 20 textbooks around AND having reference apps/books on hand like that.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

I would get an electronic book if they weren't so damn expensive. I can't hardly find the books I like to read in my library, so a internet database is very attractive.

But it costs too much money for my tastes. Not so much the device, but the few kb of data of the books.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

People who like books specifically may not like an ereader. Me personally, I like books but more importantly love the content inside them, so I love my Kindle. Reading is so much easier than a normal book (you wouldn't think it would make a difference, it does) plus you can have hundreds or thousands of books with you at all times, and if you get the 3g versions then you can purchase any book at any time.

I love reading, and that's why I bought one. I don't understand the hate of them at all, people will accept technology everywhere else in their lives but not for reading. It makes no sense at all.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

E-readers are what took down Borders. It's funny going in during their going out of business sale and seeing them sell the very instruments of their own destruction. Not that I'm e-readers are bad, by the way. Just an observation. Although, call me old-fashioned, but I like my cover art, and I don't know if a Kindle can do that.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I was going to get a Kindel, until I read there is no longer an SD slot.

Why the [bleep] not?

Does it operate in a cloud?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I got a Kindle for my birthday and I love it. I'm not a big reader to begin with, but it has allowed me to read more than I used to. By "big reader" I mean I have read maybe 2 fiction books my entire adult life outside of the classroom. I read A LOT of history, economics and political books, though (not to mention around 100 newspaper articles daily). I'm hoping that with the Kindle I'll start reading more fiction.

I own a nook, and it's the best thing since paperback bread. I wouldn't buy it unless you're extremely addicted to books though. I just happen to own one because it was a gift. It has a lot of really convenient features though. My personal favorite is being able to hold your finger over a specific word and automatically looking it up on the dictionary. And bookmarks. Bookmarks are way more convenient on ebooks than they are on real books. Plus a few cost under $100 now.

As for laptops vs. tablets, I'd personally go with a laptop + a cheap ebook reader over an ipad2.

I own a nook, and it's the best thing since paperback bread. I wouldn't buy it unless you're extremely addicted to books though. I just happen to own one because it was a gift. It has a lot of really convenient features though. My personal favorite is being able to hold your finger over a specific word and automatically looking it up on the dictionary. And bookmarks. Bookmarks are way more convenient on ebooks than they are on real books. Plus a few cost under $100 now.

As for laptops vs. tablets, I'd personally go with a laptop + a cheap ebook reader over an ipad2.

Yep, reading on a Kindle is completely different than reading on an iPad, laptop or computer screen. Much, much easier on the eyes, sometimes even better than paperback books (the really white pages in sunlight)

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg