More USA documents get released by Wikileaks

The Observer

I find it funny to be honest.

I kinda do too.

Why would a site like that even exist? I mean, if it's sole purpose (as it could be construed as:) is to leak documents... Couldn't that be said to propagate treason and thus by federal law be shut down?

It's not an American based website, so no.

The point here is that governments should be going under a 'nothing to hide' basis, and if they don't, Wikileaks will just force it. I think it's an admirable cause. If governments can't keep secrets from the world, then rather than being shown up with incriminating evidence, they'll be forced to toe the line even when they're not under the public spotlight. To me, that's strictly a good thing.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point here is that governments should be going under a 'nothing to hide' basis, and if they don't, Wikileaks will just force it. I think it's an admirable cause. If governments can't keep secrets from the world, then rather than being shown up with incriminating evidence, they'll be forced to toe the line even when they're not under the public spotlight. To me, that's strictly a good thing.

I really wish to see more government and business transparency.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

My face when reading TIF members believing government propaganda on Wikileaks: :(

My face when reading TIF members believing in 9/11 conspiracies: :blink:

Maybe it's because I've been reading comments on The Guardian all morning, but I thought that this being genuine and a legitimate act of freedom of speech wasn't all that radical of an idea? These documents don't put lives at risk because they've been edited and names have been redacted from the documents by the newspapers given them earlier by Wikileaks. Julian Assange isn't an enemy, or a terrorist as he's already been called by US officials, he's just bringing out the truth which US citizens should ALREADY have.

The cables today being released have BEEN READ AND CHECKED BY THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION. While disapproving of the release, they did read them over and approved that they wouldn't put lives at risk in their current form.

Countries around the world seem to think that having control of information, ultimate control, is what makes them powerful but it's not, it's the people and if you don't respect the people and try to manipulate and lie to them then eventually it's going to come back and bite you on the arse. Yeah, not all of this is unsurprising and you can't think that diplomats saying things behind our backs is anything to go mad over, but there is really some interesting information in this with regards to the middle east and I totally approve of what Wikileaks is doing, and has done in the past.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Nevermind the fact that Julian Assange completly disregards the 9-11 truth movement and calls anyone who actually supports it a wacko.

Maybe because it's been debunked time and time again and the movement should be disregarded. I wouldn't call anyone who supports it wacko, but they're definitely sheep. I hate GW Bush as much as anyone, but I'm not so hateful as to believe a story created in a basement by two angry teens with a vivid imagination.

It's not an American based website, so no.

Now, are other governments going to (be forced to) do the same or should it just be the US that gets its dirty laundry aired worldwide? :razz:

Just because something is being kept a secret doesn't mean that it's being kept a secret for nefarious reasons because a government is being bad. I'm not going to dispute there's some of that mixed in, but plenty of confidential stuff is kept confidential because that's the sensible thing to do.

For example if there is intelligence on weapons development in rogue states that is made public, then it could potentially alert those states to areas where there own security is not up to scratch and Western intelligence operatives could suddenly find themselves no longer with access to find out certain things. (or if unlucky caught) - meaning if certain threats arise we're not ready for the correct defense contingencies.

Hopefully there's nothing of that level released, and things like the Iranian attempts to adapt North Korean rockets for use as long-range missiles were already known by the Iranians to be known. (I'd guess this particular example is a generally known thing)

Most things released seem to not be that dangerous as such.

Many of those documents so far seem to be diplomats reporting back on senior figures in the governments of other countries(including allies). They're trying to give their frank and honest assessments on people, both positives and negatives - because it's there job to give information on how these people are likely to operate in reaction to certain scenarios and potential actions by the US and others.

But there's no way that they'd say some of these honest things in public, because the world press wouldn't portray them as making statements with the aim of being honest, but as creating tensions between countries. It is the sort of thing which could badly damage relations between countries, which is bad for international trade and maybe in some of the already more precarious cases even international peace.

Fortunately I suspect that most the leaders of other governments will see the leaked information as diplomats being diplomats and won't take the offense that they would have had they been public statements, so little damage will be done - but that certainly doesn't mean they shouldn't have been secret in the first place.

I just think it's wrong that USA used embassadors as spies, and not only to get political information. I heard that they even got sexual information against politicians and there's documents stating that the president of my country(Argentina) could be insane. Or at least that's what i heard.

We can only hope some of these things leaked don't lead to increased tension in the Middle East. Many of the things said, such as Middle eastern countries asking for America to make a move against Iran could very realistically lead to increased hostilities.

I agree with Nadril. There is no way governments would be 100% open. Things happen in secret for a reason. Not because they secretly want to take over the world, but because to do their job rights and keep countries safe, they need to do things which may endanger others if known to the public. Hell I'm usually one of the most idealistic people around here but even I know that these being leaked can only do more harm than good.

I do ask, what good comes of it?

Then I ask, what bad comes of it?

The answers to the second question come much easier than those to the first.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

These documents have done nothing but catch politicians with their pants down and now they're pissed because the shady work that they were doing is finally exposed. Throw back the curtain and let some light in! Government officials are OUR employees, not the other way around.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Indeed. If people are upset over what these american documents contain, I can't even imagine what they'll say when they see what Russia gets up to :P

Actually, anyone who does a little research could tell you Russia has a good deal of corruption in its government. Assange would really just be drawing more attention to it.

These documents have done nothing but catch politicians with their pants down and now they're pissed because the shady work that they were doing is finally exposed. Throw back the curtain and let some light in! Government officials are OUR employees, not the other way around.

I still look forward to a very heinous leak from a fairly neutral/harmless country, but that's just my sick sense of humor talking. I mean, with the US and Russia, you know that they're up to dirty [cabbage]. A lot of the time it's the American media that draws attention to it and later laughs at it (See: Family Guy, American Dad). You just didn't know the exact details of the current ones.

Something like a leak about an illegal puppy-trading ring operated in Iraq by, say, the Swiss government would be hilarious.

the president of my country(Argentina) could be insane. Or at least that's what i heard.

But...its true. :razz:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

So going over the new "leaks". Anyone els noticing that alot of the leaks are about other countries asking the US to stop Irans nuclear program? Again the leaks do nothing to actually expose the US government and are just helping them.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I just think it's wrong that USA used embassadors as spies, and not only to get political information. I heard that they even got sexual information against politicians and there's documents stating that the president of my country(Argentina) could be insane. Or at least that's what i heard.

That is standard practice - all countries use diplomats for information collection. Very little surprising information was in those cables but they did provide for an interesting insight into the workings of the diplomatic service.

Nevermind the fact that Julian Assange completly disregards the 9-11 truth movement and calls anyone who actually supports it a wacko.

I'm not usually one for open mockery, but this is just too easy.

Yep, because hundreds of construction experts, demolition experts, and scientists from around the world, who make buildings collapse for a living, must all be wackos.

[citation needed]

http://www.911truth.org/

Just google it and spend 5 minutes reading some articles.

Or failing that, explain how a building that supposedly pancake collapsed, i.e. one floor falling on top of another, can fall at free fall speed?

Barring god willed it its physically imposible because the floors falling on top of one another would have slowed it down.

you are trolling, right? If I remember right a pair of 757's hit those buildings. Last time I checked being hit by a large airplane was rather damaging.

My face when reading TIF members believing government propaganda on Wikileaks: :(

My face when reading TIF members believing in 9/11 conspiracies: :blink:

Maybe it's because I've been reading comments on The Guardian all morning, but I thought that this being genuine and a legitimate act of freedom of speech wasn't all that radical of an idea? These documents don't put lives at risk because they've been edited and names have been redacted from the documents by the newspapers given them earlier by Wikileaks. Julian Assange isn't an enemy, or a terrorist as he's already been called by US officials, he's just bringing out the truth which US citizens should ALREADY have.

The cables today being released have BEEN READ AND CHECKED BY THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION. While disapproving of the release, they did read them over and approved that they wouldn't put lives at risk in their current form.

Countries around the world seem to think that having control of information, ultimate control, is what makes them powerful but it's not, it's the people and if you don't respect the people and try to manipulate and lie to them then eventually it's going to come back and bite you on the arse. Yeah, not all of this is unsurprising and you can't think that diplomats saying things behind our backs is anything to go mad over, but there is really some interesting information in this with regards to the middle east and I totally approve of what Wikileaks is doing, and has done in the past.

The edited editions of the messages as published by newspapers had no damaging confidential information in them, but the underacted versions as published directly on wikileaks do. The issue here is essentially that they contain information putting people in danger while not providing any real public benefit other then an interesting read - nobody has found anything particularly surprising through all of these messages.

I find it funny to be honest.

I kinda do too.

Why would a site like that even exist? I mean, if it's sole purpose (as it could be construed as:) is to leak documents... Couldn't that be said to propagate treason and thus by federal law be shut down?

Per New York Times v. US in most cases people are protected when publishing leaked documents by the first amendment. While an American court order could probably shut down the site, legally such an order would be difficult for the government to acquire.

I'm not usually one for open mockery, but this is just too easy.

Yep, because hundreds of construction experts, demolition experts, and scientists from around the world, who make buildings collapse for a living, must all be wackos.

[citation needed]

http://www.911truth.org/

Just google it and spend 5 minutes reading some articles.

Or failing that, explain how a building that supposedly pancake collapsed, i.e. one floor falling on top of another, can fall at free fall speed?

Barring god willed it its physically imposible because the floors falling on top of one another would have slowed it down.

you are trolling, right? If I remember right a pair of 757's hit those buildings. Last time I checked being hit by a large airplane was rather damaging.

Yes it is. Exccept that the twin towers were actually designed to withstand the impact of a boeing 707, an airplane that is almost the same size and mass as the 767.

http://www.science-writing.org/id29.html

Now lets just use this one document as evidence that fire actually did bring the towers down. In order for that to happen then the entire floor would have had to be heated at the same time and at a consistent temperature. Otherwise parts of the floor would have failed before the others and would have caused the floor to fall down at an angle. And, well, leaning tower of pizza.

And, any explanation for building 7?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!