Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Bind System

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I'd like to see, at the very least, some sort of system where boss drops can be more useful. No one is ever going to bind something like T11 gloves/boots, and since you reach the boss at the end of a dungeon, they don't even get used during.

I've seen the idea thrown around of getting to keep any boss drops you get in a dungeon for the next dungeon too. It would allow for a bit of variation/fun, and at least get some rarely used items a chance to provide a small bonus. True, on higher floors those items would be good drops/weapons/useful armour pieces, but only 1 out of 5 people would get a drop each dungeon - far from overpowered.

Yeah, I agree. (Even though I binded t11 gloves before :P) I would honestly like solo'er s to get a chance at primal since its incredibly frustrating to rely on a team and then end up not getting it.

As for the binding system, I think its already fine that we HAVE the opportunity. It serves no other purpose besides making the whole skill less frustrating
like RCing pouches. If we wanted more, sure why not. But now, I don't see any minor errors in changing binds.

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:The Ancient
Ive always wondered why jagex never introduced anything involving capes

it'd be nice to be able to wear a 99 dg cape there, the prayer bonus would be so nice.
Posted Image
Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Grimy_Bunyip
[ Display Name History ]

Grimy_Bunyip

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Grimy Bunyip
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers

Ive always wondered why jagex never introduced anything involving capes

it'd be nice to be able to wear a 99 dg cape there, the prayer bonus would be so nice.

dungeoneering armor clips horribly with capes.
Apparently removing capes from dungeoneering made the artwork in daemonheim much easier.
Posted Image

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx
I don't see why this topic is yet AGAIN up in the air. The current system is more than fine as it is and imposes atleast some challenges. More binds= easier dungeons- no thanks, the skill is easy enough as it is. Keep it simple.

Grimy, i don't understand your obsession with having many ammo binds- everyone in this world has to make choices- if you bound HHB, good for you, but you can't have everything, and you are not supposed to have everything. I also don't think jagex ever intended for laws to be used the way they are in c1's.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

HexiledRazz
[ Display Name History ]

HexiledRazz

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • RSN:Hexiled Razz
  • RSN2:Pure of War
  • Clan:EoE

Once I get 99 mage I'll be binding a celestial staff over my plate, but even having those items won't make dungeons that much faster. Before rings and ggs were added, dungeons were still being completed at around 30 minutes, and now even with all those improvements the average only increased to 25 minutes.

I think the number of binds is fine as it is.
Unless the new bind were restricted to a rather useless item such as gloves/boots/pickaxes/toolkits/etc
I agree it'd be pretty game breaking.

But my problem with the bind system is how it restricts you to certain jobs.
If bind arrows/celestial box, you're kinda screwed out of laws for c1s.
If you bind a hex, you're screwed out of some armor if you want to key.

We definitely shouldn't start a floor with more than 4 binded items of any sort, but I really want to be able to switch up what those 4 items are.
My hexhunter isn't gonna do me any good if I want to key.

Reading the last bit, got me thinking:

What if we were able to bind a few items (Would very with your DG level. I'm thinking maybe 10 max at 120 dg?) that would go into a bank-sort of interface that can only be accessed at the start of a dungeon, or during the WINterface. And from this interface, you can pick up to (your max bind for your level) items to bring into the next dungeon.

So, while you wouldn't have your 2H, Hexhunter, primal plate, SSH, and blood neck all at the same time making you OP in a dungeon, you can choose what items you want to bring with you into your next dungeon.

I can see how frustrating debating between binds can be. And going level 50 - 100 with only two bind seems... Cruel.
Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

jettrider
[ Display Name History ]

jettrider

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • RSN:Jettrider
  • Clan:DGS

Once I get 99 mage I'll be binding a celestial staff over my plate, but even having those items won't make dungeons that much faster. Before rings and ggs were added, dungeons were still being completed at around 30 minutes, and now even with all those improvements the average only increased to 25 minutes.

I think the number of binds is fine as it is.
Unless the new bind were restricted to a rather useless item such as gloves/boots/pickaxes/toolkits/etc
I agree it'd be pretty game breaking.

But my problem with the bind system is how it restricts you to certain jobs.
If bind arrows/celestial box, you're kinda screwed out of laws for c1s.
If you bind a hex, you're screwed out of some armor if you want to key.

We definitely shouldn't start a floor with more than 4 binded items of any sort, but I really want to be able to switch up what those 4 items are.
My hexhunter isn't gonna do me any good if I want to key.

Reading the last bit, got me thinking:

What if we were able to bind a few items (Would very with your DG level. I'm thinking maybe 10 max at 120 dg?) that would go into a bank-sort of interface that can only be accessed at the start of a dungeon, or during the WINterface. And from this interface, you can pick up to (your max bind for your level) items to bring into the next dungeon.

So, while you wouldn't have your 2H, Hexhunter, primal plate, SSH, and blood neck all at the same time making you OP in a dungeon, you can choose what items you want to bring with you into your next dungeon.

I can see how frustrating debating between binds can be. And going level 50 - 100 with only two bind seems... Cruel.

I'm glad I went 50-100 without armor. It made me better at dungeoneering in general, learning how to minimize damage, and it made me confident enough to want a Hexhunter bow for the next 80m exp.

Anyway, 1-100 is less than 15% of 120 dungeoneering, so you could look at it as a perk to get people to train past 99.

2496 Completionist

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
I would want an extra ammo bind, and 2 bind slots for your best pickaxe/hatchet. Seriously does anyone actually bind primal tools?

As far as equipment binds go, they're fine for me. Maybe insert an extra here and there.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

la la la
[ Display Name History ]

la la la

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
100-120 is awfully dry. And don't get excited about the primal spear - it isn't special. So 100-113 is no different, and you can only look forward to a hex. Once you get one, it gets harder to DG simply because you have all your short term goals.

lalalasig2.png

Grimy_Bunyip
[ Display Name History ]

Grimy_Bunyip

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • RSN:Grimy Bunyip
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers

I don't see why this topic is yet AGAIN up in the air. The current system is more than fine as it is and imposes atleast some challenges. More binds= easier dungeons- no thanks, the skill is easy enough as it is. Keep it simple.

Grimy, i don't understand your obsession with having many ammo binds- everyone in this world has to make choices- if you bound HHB, good for you, but you can't have everything, and you are not supposed to have everything. I also don't think jagex ever intended for laws to be used the way they are in c1's.

What? variety is the spice of life.
What's wrong with wanting to be able to swap out my gear regularly, over the hundreds of hours it would take for 120 dg.

I mean granted DG is already a very varied skill.
But 110-120 DG is about half the time you'll be spending DGing.
And over that time, you'll only encounter 1 new boss, 1 new drop, and 1 more bind.
I'm with Rocked here. I'm kinda bored.
Posted Image

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
Grimy, it's your choice not to have varied binds, not jagex-es. If you were to change weapons every reset or something like that, the world would be alot more varied, granted what you actually care about is efficiency, not variety(you'd never bind a primal dagger just for the sake of it). The fact that one set of binds is better than another is just inevitable, having two ammo binds doesn't make it more varied.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

The coolest idea I heard (I think it was on this forum) was to allow "Prestige Binds" that builds last as long as you don't reset your Prestige. Example, every 10 floors you complete on a Prestige run, you get an extra Prestige bind added. At 50 floors, you can have 3 permenant binds because of your skill level and 5 items you can bind. Hit the end of your prestige run and reset then your prestige bound items disappear too.

Seems like it'd be balanced, since at the highest floors where you get the cool stuff you'll lose it when you reset your prestige to do low floors. In addition, this gives a great use to all the high level items dropped including gloves and boots.

Or people start doing the floors backwards to get the high level drops first o.O

What I want is for them to give us a damn toolbox at the start of every Dunge. A DG "bank" to switch up items would be appreciated, but frankly the current bind system works. I mean, a person could say use hexhunter with sag p++ arrows one DG, and the next use a surgebox with a celestial staff. Atm I have 99 mage but I'd never bind a celestial staff because it wouldn't be worth it over my other binds. However, if we could swap out binds I'd definitely like one.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer

Because this is general DISCUSSION. Will Jagex make any of these changes? Hell no! But that doesn't mean we can't talk about how it could (or should) have been done better. Yes, I agree, I'm VERY happy with the current system. However, Jagex ONCE AGAIN made numerous items USELESS. t11 gloves, boots, coifs, for instance. Most boss armor drops except for plates/a few weps. Etc. There should be SOME use to them, if not gaining that item forever, perhaps temporarily, or maybe some other reward for "gaining" all the items in a set, but not binding them (Getting all celestial items as your drop from a boss results in some bonus, etc)

There are SO many ways that this system could be changed, not to necessarily making DGing easier, as it is quite easy ATM, but to provide something extra to do with certain drops.

Look at celestial top. It requires 97 DG to achieve, and yet I've NEVER seen it used for anything. Its just a drop you get, and leave on the floor for others to look at, or try on, or maybe if the boss is dead but the keyer hasn't finished running those last few doors, you alch it for cash, etc.

Bottom line: There are many items which are simply USELESS now. The system would have been far better balanced, and more diverse, if there we changes made. And that is what we are talking about.

Remember, not every topic on this board is about what is currently in game. We also talk about Jagex's methods of implementation, and how they design these things.

As for the use of laws in c1's, despite the fact that I doubt Jagex designed the system for people to even DO c1's, the use of laws IN c1's is an example of emergent gameplay, something which you, XPX, normally stand up for wholeheartedly.

I understand what Rocked and Grimy are saying. That is why my short term goals are actually quite high. (ATM 1m tokens, then 113 dg then 120.) But it would be nice if there were more uses for tokens beside either ring, or xp, or double rewards. If I didn't have a good time DGing with friends now, I probably wouldn't be training it still.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Naraku893
[ Display Name History ]

Naraku893

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,074 posts
We need another ammo bind, or at least an increase on it. Also another bind somewhere in the 80s or 90s wouldnt hurt

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

We need another ammo bind, or at least an increase on it. Also another bind somewhere in the 80s or 90s wouldnt hurt

80's or 90's is too low, nothing lower then 105/110 IMO

Stonewall337.png

Drops

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
The reason why i don't like all these(and yes, all these, we have had alot of discussion about this beforehand and will more than likely have in the future) topics about the binding system is that the system is already fine as it is. Seems a bit hypocritical to tell jagex not to fix what isn't broken(like they've tried oh so many times) and keep suggesting these silly ideas. I understand that there are some people who feel as though the binding system isn't flexible enough or that there aren't too many worthwhile binds, but what most suggestions boil down to(when i say most i rather mean all) is that people want dungeoneering to be easier. Has anyone suggested being able to swap a normal bind for an ammo bind? Oh, NO WAY, you say, but really, as dungeoneering certainly doesn't need to be made easier, why not make suggestions that wouldn't accomplish that , instead accomplishing what you claim to be after, variety. Until you guys start to make sense, this thread isn't really going anywhere.

As for emergent gameplay, yes, i am all for it, but i'm still a firm believer of having to make choices. If grimy feels as though binding laws would save him more time then good- chuck that bow down the toilet and bind some laws for faster c1's. If he feels as though having the bow allows him to be a better teammate then good for him- but having to make this choice is what actually adds variety. If he were to be able to bind both, there would be no variety.

Also an idea for grimy- you can swap sagit arrows for prom arrows- that way you'll be able to bind laws for c1's and remake prom arrows for larges with not much time lost. How about that for variety.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
The difference between Jagex fixing what isn't broken and this is quite simple if you think about it. Jagex BREAKS what is fine (Loot pickup). This would be making an already good system better.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath

You don't think 25 minutes is fast enough?
O.O

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

The difference between Jagex fixing what isn't broken and this is quite simple if you think about it. Jagex BREAKS what is fine (Loot pickup). This would be making an already good system better.

And you are sure they could implement it in that way? I'd also like to hear more realistic suggestions on how dungeoneering wouldn't get easier while giving us more variety, because, really, i haven't seen many, if any at all.

The major problem that i see with variety is that even though people like variety, they like efficiency more, and thus variety gets trampled under it. The current system allows for plenty of variety, but because people prefer efficiency, they won't ever consider using anything inferior for the sake of it, or get flamed(by teammembers) for doing so. I also don't agree with the notion that every t11 item should be equally spectacular- not even in normal runescape is every boss drop worth picking up, they are just a bonus for finishing dungeons, something that does get very routine when you nolife dungeoneering all day, but a welcome sight if you don't. All of the t11 items require 99s in their respectful skills, so the majority of players wouldn't be able to wield most of them anyway(if they were to stay, say 3 dungeons beyond).

You don't think 25 minutes is fast enough?

That's what i'm getting at. If anything, tweak the system to make it harder.

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
Longer floors maybe, with more xp. You DO know how long 104m xp takes, don't you? Because you sure don't seem to.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
Oh, i might have missed the quote where jagex said getting 120 will be extremely easy and everyone will be getting it.

In all seriousness, 120 dungeoneering isn't a routine goal. It's not supposed to be easy. Nobody is forcing anyone to get it, furthermore as it doesn't have any clear cut advantages. Dungeoneering is really one of the easiest skills to get 104m(on par with cooking, just look at the hiscores), and the fact that the levels go up to 120 doesn't mean it should be any easier. Sure, it will take more time compared to a normal 99, but again, it's not a road everyone can or should be taking, thus the fact that it takes alot of time(and i'm not sure it takes more than 99 rc would) makes sense- afterall, it's an endgame skill.

Also, i'm one person who you can not give this ''x skill is hard'' ****. I played rsc. 'Nuff said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users