Impact of LOTRO

Bangin_Blonde

Asking about other MMOs in a Runescape community is stupid, most of these kids have never played another MMO.

I dont see this having any effect not because of popularity, communites etc but because RUnescape is Java based and LOTRO is DVD Disc based, especially people with older model computers or lack a grpahics card.

LOTRO is not dvd based, you download it online for free. It's also completely scalable with lower graphics for people with non-powerful PC's.

Lol, another Runescape player who is ignorant of other games.

Jagex might lose their Guinness world records tittle but apart from that I don't really see it having any other effects.

Not even close, LOTRO is not even near the amount of players that Runescape has.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what kind of blogs you are reading sir, but this game has been F2P since September 2010, so you judge how much of an impact it had on RS (none in my opinion).

First of all, it's Madam. Secondly, as I said in my first post, my question was prompted by the commercials they'ved been playing. That was how I found out it was f2p.

The commercial isn't a year old.

Personally, I would hope that games like this going f2p would cause Jagex to step up their game.

I'm not sure what kind of blogs you are reading sir, but this game has been F2P since September 2010, so you judge how much of an impact it had on RS (none in my opinion).

First of all, it's Madam. Secondly, as I said in my first post, my question was prompted by the commercials they'ved been playing. That was how I found out it was f2p.

Personally, I would hope that games like this going f2p would cause Jagex to step up their game.

Personally I was under the assumption that "Sir" was a non-gender specific honourific, and that madam was introduced as political correctness (see:actor, actress)

What does this mean for Runescape? - as others have said, very little, I don't see it detracting much from the brand name, but I can't be one to judge for I've never played more than one hour of any other meh-moar-peh-geh in my life. (Well actually Maplestory for a while but I didn't want the same time using effect that 'scape has had on me with any others, especially more than one game at a time)

1yrb49.jpg

Personally I was under the assumption that "Sir" was a non-gender specific honourific, and that madam was introduced as political correctness (see:actor, actress)

sir |sər| (also Sir)

noun

used as a polite or respectful way of addressing a man, esp. one in a position of authority : excuse me, sir.

:P

On topic.. I reckon that LOTRO going F2P will encourage more users to try it out, but not so many as to cause a mass exodus from RuneScape -> LOTRO or anything like that.. probably not even a really noticeable difference. The games are still pretty different and I think probably cater to different audiences. I see RuneScape directed at a younger crowd whereas LOTRO has a lot more older players. For what it's worth, I've been playing LOTRO off and on since 2007.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Shady, I really find your post insightful but really meaningless as you use "kid" to get your point across.

I recently bought World of Warcraft and all the expansions other than Cata ofc. I also somewhat play runescape, although not as much as I used to. I'm sure i'm not the only one to branch out into the world of mmo's.

However, I do agree with you on the fact that this bears little relevance to a runescape general discussion board.

Low_C.png

As a veteran Runescape player and World of Warcraft player, I think it is safe to assume LOTRO won't drag too many away. I play both games off and on.

Some aspects of the more in depth MMO's intrigue me, while the simplistic Runescape is a nice game to play while relaxing, or reading, etc...But Runescape also has activities that allow for interactive gameplay too. Maybe not as 'intense', but it is different enough that I find it holds its own against other MMOs.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

It was kinda funny when I tried to play LOTRO. After making an account, I downloaded the client and then waited for like 14 hours or something for a ridiculous amount of updates. Even on a computer that has no cache for Runescape at all, it can still load it in a couple minutes. :razz:

I would like to put a little time into it though and explore it to see if I like it. I was a big Guild Wars fan though, and am waiting on Guild Wars 2. I am really hoping that game blows me away, it looks great so far. I guess I have had my fair share of MMO's, but I think I have played Runescape the longest, followed by Guild Wars, and kinda not really getting into anything else (including WoW; tried it, didn't like it).

Big_Stingman.png

I don't think it'll have a huge impact because I think that people who have stuck to RS for a long time aren't going to just abandon their years of work and go somewhere else. I admit I do flitter between Runescape and Puzzle Pirates occasionally, but that's just me being fickle.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

welll i played LOTRO for the first three weeks here in the USA. i got my character up to level 29 and exhausted pretty much the better part of the f2p content by then. I don't reallly see what the long term value is in this game, even for p2p. all the quest are either "kill x" or "kill x until u get item Y". that gets boring really fast. aside from combat, ur character can only practice 3 other skills that can be either resource gathering and processing. those can be gone through pretty quickly as well. and not to mention that they seem to shove stuff that you have to pay for in game down ur throat. such as getting access to the auction for for 5 bucks, or get access to a horse for 3 bucks. that is pretty much the opposite of how jagex views their f2p.

pretty much after 3 weeks, i came back to rs because i still have llong term f2p goals to accomplish even after 6 years. now compare that to the 3 weeks of content from LOTRO.

ASR_logo_white.png

wannarace.jpg

I personally was very addicted, it nearly made me quit runescape, I was just having so much fun. The game world is massive, there is so much variety in what you do, wear, use and etc, but in the end I missed Runescapes community, (Mainly TIF, Rsof can gtfo) I still play it, but not as often, The epic storyline is really engaging, as are some are the side quest lines (Shards of Narcil anyone?) One of the main problems was travel, like if i wanted to get from Rivendell to The Shire it would take a bit of money. And community, You could join a kinship which is a clan, or you could go solo, most player interaction is in the form of group questing as a fellowship, or killing Monsters.

I like the game alot, but Runescape is my one and only <3

Maeror_Meror.png

Proud Owner Of The Quest Cape

Proud Owner Of The Attack Cape

Proud Owner Of The Defence Cape

Dragon Drops: 1 Shield Left Half, 2 Dragon Claws, 10 Dragon Platelegs, 4 Dragon Medium Helmets

GWD Drops: Gs shard 1: 3 times GS Shard 2: Nil GS shard 3: 2 times 1 Bandos Tassets, 1 Bandos Hilt 1 Bandos Boots, Armadyl Hilt, 3 Saradomin swords

Misc: Ranger boots, Dragonic Visage, Guthix bow,

I think the only effect would be on players who are just starting out, because they wouldn't have the time put into RS, so they wouldn't have much to lose if they switched MMORPGs.

Although I'm really glad Mechscape didn't come out, because I do think because it's Jagex owned it would have had a huge impact.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I think the only effect would be on players who are just starting out, because they wouldn't have the time put into RS, so they wouldn't have much to lose if they switched MMORPGs.

Although I'm really glad Mechscape didn't come out, because I do think because it's Jagex owned it would have had a huge impact.

^ I will NEVER ever play another Jagex created game.

They are an inconsistent company.

I created a similar thread to this a few weeks ago :blink:

Look it up if you are interested.

I think LOTRO is a proper MMORPG that offers a lot, but so far it hasn't lured RS players as of yet. But who can resist Frodo & the rest of the fellowship, the storyline is epic :grin:

Tip.it even has a old fansite for LOTRO that hasn't been updated since forever, maybe they should restart updating it : http://lotro.tip.it/

It's a very good MMO, how much you actually get for free is impressive. I went into it thinking it was gonna be a cheap knock off of the LOTR name (uh, keep in mind I had not heard of this game until someone mentioned it going f2p on another forum) but it actually far exceeded my expectations.

That said, it's just too different, you can easily compare it to WoW but not to RS. RS is a much different, more simplistic yet still fairly in-depth experience which keeps players playing for so long.

I probably won't buy a monthly subscription though. Sorry, but the micro-transactions and seeing that store button just ruin it for me, call me a nerd but I like to be immersed in the game, not be bombarded with constant advertisements. Just the whole concept of real-world micro-transactions bug the hell out of me.

--

Could it put a dent in the RS subscriptions? I doubt it, if you wanted a game like that, then WoW has been there for awhile, and you can only get so far in the f2p game before you need to start buying stuff. You can get "turbine points" in game but not enough, I recently got enough to buy the riding skill (mounts) for 95 points and I also need to unlock more bag space which will cost me over 600 points... So unless you're crazy lazy and willing to devote hours upon hours of monotonous grinding, you'll eventually be dipping into your own pocket book.

It will have a similar effect any other games will. Why would it be any different? I see what you are aiming at though with the going F2P part. Let's look at Call of Duty. When it came out a lot of Runescapers played that instead. But just like any other game, the fun will wear off eventually and they'll come back to RS. Yes it's a problem per say, but it's not really anything specific because of that game. That's what I think anyway.

j0xPu5R.png