Facebook

Shiny

In light of the more serious matters regarding wikileaks, why don't we, Off-Topic, take the time to appreciate the trivial? In that regard I present you this, http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/05/new-facebook-profile/. Behold, the new facebook profile.

There are two big themes to the revamped design: a bigger emphasis on keeping things visually interesting, and streamlining the design to make it easier to find information people actually care about. Facebook Product Manager Peter Deng explains that on the old profiles, some of the most popular features and information has been a pain to find the View more photos link, for example, is immensely popular, but its been nestled between far less important links for years.

So it makes sense that first things youll notice on the new profile pages involve major layout changes. Your vital stats birthday, employer, current city, and the all-important relationship status are now featured at the top of the page. A photo stream appears just below it, showcasing a handful of the photographs youve most recently been tagged in (you can choose to hide a photo that you dont want to have in your stream, so theres some flexibility with what shows up here).

Tab navigation is now taking place directly below the profile photo, which makes profiles look more similar to Place pages we reported that this was coming back in October. Most of these tabs are self-explanatory: clicking Questions will bring up that application, the photos tab brings up your photo albums and albums youve been tagged in (now with infinite scroll!) and so on.

The biggest change to these tab apps involves Info. This now looks totally different the dozens of text links representing your Interests have been converted to images whenever possible, giving you a more visual overview of the person.

And this is what the resulting outcome will look like!

fbprofile3.png

Now, there are three questions I pose to you, Off Topic, about this change: Do you think it looks good, and are you happy with it? Did you think our old profiles need a change? And most importantly, do you care?

lampost_sig_stark.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, It won't bother me much. It's one of those changes which is a little nicety, but not overly important to me. Although, is that roommate feature new?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Facebook changes all the time, I'm used to not getting used to anything. No bothered customer here.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I don't care to be honest. I only created a Facebook account because my friends were always asking why I didn't have one. To avoid answering the same question over and over, I just joined the bandwagon. Although I admit that it can be pretty addicting, I find it useless. If I want to chat, MSN already does that.

16185_s.gif

It seems that the initial reaction whenever Facebook changes anything is either complete hatred or indifference.

As for this change, I preferred the former profiles, but as with all changes, we get used to it after a while.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

This is only a concern to people who creep other profiles. I hardly visit friend's profiles and only read what comes up in my news feed which includes what happens between friends/mutual friends. Do I really care what other conversations my friends are having with people who I don't know? I didn't before Facebook, why should I now?

Zaataar.png

I can't really offer my opinion until I've tried it but by just looking at it appears to be the best layout change in years and one I feel is going to go over fairly week with most FB users. However one noticeable change is the removal of the text box for people to leave posts.

Well since writing this I have now upgraded to this new layout, and so far I am indeed liking the changes. Props to FB :thumbup:

edit: I feel like the ads on the right side of the page are now bigger and take up more space on the page. :thumbdown:

tFtfA.jpg

I'd like everything condensed and aligned to the left like it is now, but I don't care too much. And the ad's don't bother me, I ad-block everything except for TIF.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I kind of like it. Most annoying update was the beeping sound for chatting, which oddly brings up a windows media player with the sound on repeat half the time. :thumbdown:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I deleted my facebook profile several months ago, so this doesn't affect me. I strongly urge everyone to do the same, facebook doesn't seem to be as good as it used to.

[hide=For those of you that haven't tried to delete your profile,]

Let me tell you its a pain in the ass. First of all, you can't find a link to do it on the main site. There's a link to "deactivate" your profile, but its still there afterward. The only way to completely get rid of it is to google "delete my facebook account" and it'll take you to that link which facebook doesn't provide. Then, after you click the link, you have to answer a bunch of stuff on why you're deleting your profile (and like 3 or 4 confirm messages before the "process" is started). Then, they make you wait two weeks, during which they'll email bomb you saying "don't go!" If at any point in time in those two weeks you log in (intentionally or accidentally - if you had your profile auto-linked to something like pandora, you'll log in again accidentally, and you'll have to start the wait over again).

They really don't want you to leave.

[/hide]

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

And most importantly, do you care?

No :P I don't use Facebook enough to care. I have an account, I occasionally upload my art there, once in a blue moon I will check up on a friend from the past, but other than that I never use it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

How does Facebook roll out these new features? Regionally? Randomly? Because a couple friends (from where I live) have the new profile page, but the vast majority of friends (and me) don't have it.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it now.