Would you like to see GM driven events in Runescape?

magic82

Wow xpx, what ticked you off this time? Or are you just always like that?

I wouldn't mind it, as long as it doesn't make you lose items because you were unprepared. Simply for fun, it'd be pretty cool.

Remember that corporeal beast in the middle or Ardougne? Haha that was pretty sweet. (yea it's fake, i know)

Staurolite.png

That's without the death system in Runescape. Unlike other games where there is limited if not any death penalty.

Yea, spawn the strongest boss monster in the middle of a town in another game and you get 10000 people rushing it for lols.

Spawn corp in the middle of varrock and you get 10000 people on the forums whining about how they are going to quit.

O.O

Runescape doesn't need this kind of things... And as pointed allready in the thread it wouldn't fit with it's mechanics.

Btw runescape has cities being invaded by monsters... during quests. Unlike other MMO's whose ideas of quests is do 'Cook Assistant' or 'One small favor' a million times. Now i haven't played a lot of other MMO's but when i load to see a home page of one i get that idea allready...

nasty_jenny.png

Neither bosses nor UI are advanced enough in RS to make this work.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

That's without the death system in Runescape. Unlike other games where there is limited if not any death penalty.

Yea, spawn the strongest boss monster in the middle of a town in another game and you get 10000 people rushing it for lols.

Spawn corp in the middle of varrock and you get 10000 people on the forums whining about how they are going to quit.

Well, in Darkfall Online where that video is taken from, you lose all your inventory when you die, so...

And why would runescape people go whine on the forum really?

Well, in Darkfall Online where that video is taken from, you lose all your inventory when you die, so...

Have you ever looked at the RSOF?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Are you serious?

"I LAGGED WHILE BOSS HUNTING, IT WAS MY FAULT AND NO FAULT OF JAGEX BUT NEVERTHELESS IM GOING TO BLAME JAGEX FOR LOSING MY STOOF"

"I BROUGHT THESE DHAROK GREATAXES THAT WERE RISING LIK RLY HIGH AND NOW THEY GOING DOWN AND I CANT SELL IT NOT FAIR HOW I KNOW IT WILL CRASH JAGEX U STUPID DO SUMKTHING ABOOT MERCH CLANS"

O.O

Am I the only one that thought GM stood for General Motors and opened expecting some crazy thread about the RS economy?

Anyway, such an event would need to be announced weeks in adavnce, and ideally be in a nearly deserted city. Like Nardah or Jatizso.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

Maybe make it where it'd happen on 1/2 of the servers?

Am I the only one that thought GM stood for General Motors and opened expecting some crazy thread about the RS economy?

You were not.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

We had the zombie thing around Halloween this year which was at Clan Wars and was somewhat similar to what you described but that's probably as close as we're going to get in RS. Like someone above me said, people don't read the news so people would end up complaining when the randomly die to a Demon in Lumbridge.

The zombie invasion in clan wars free-for-all was indeed a sort of test. That community event was a small succes. I think that was a popularity test for a sort of extra large Pest Control-minigame.

I think a clan versus zombie army could be a nice update for clan wars and castle wars.

greedy44.png

I wouldn't like it.

Runescape is all about choice of what you want to do, so much so that alot of players dont even read the news since 90% of updates dont alter their playing.

It's jsut gonna cause mass chaos, rants etc if one day a host of skillers, questers or other general players are slaughtered and cannot safely get their stuff back from their graves because they didnt happen to read the news and know that a random city is gonna be flooded with monsters.

This. Also the death penalty in RS is extremely high (which I like), compared to other games.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

In Tabula Rasa, the developers held several events where certain encampments were invaded. One the players failed miserably, and the entire base was bombed right off the map (when the servers went down that night and went up the next morning it was a smoldering pile of rubbish). Another bigger base was smashed but not as badly because it was heavily fortified.

In The Matrix Online, the developers held many one-time events, the most famous of which was when Morpheus went around town planting data bombs that would kill a lot of people, in an effort to destabilize the matrix. Players were tasked with either defending him or helping him, and in the end Morpheus was assassinated by an unknown entity (starting the next part of the story).

Runescape could never handle such a system, because Runescape is static-without-quests, in that the only time something dynamic happens it is in the context of a quest, and even then it's pretty small (a few NPCs replaced, some static objects replaced). The wise old mage attacking the bank, which was seen only through a cutscene, is the closest we'll get to a Cataclysm style event. It's a shame, too. Jagex could do great things with Runescape's rich storyline.

Perhaps Jagex should take a note from Warhammer Online, with Public Quest systems. The PQ's themselves don't have a lasting effect on the world, but they're dynamic events that players can take part in.

But as for the "you stand to lose more in Runescape," I'll remind you that Mortal Online, Darkfall, and Ultima Online have such events, and you stand to lose much much more in those games when players can actively kill each other, and pickpocket other players.

Mortal Online has epic bosses, which appear one time and are gone forever. This isn't one, but it's pretty goddamn scary to see just flying over cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72n3GgowH2Q

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Is this a joke?

Let's wait until Jagex can consistently come out with updates that don't come packaged with obvious, stupid glitches, and then we can look at whether it might be fun for them to do more. At the moment, the less they do, the better. They aren't competent enough to handle what's already on their plate.

Yep, we're the Beta testers as always. :rolleyes:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

But as for the "you stand to lose more in Runescape," I'll remind you that Mortal Online, Darkfall, and Ultima Online have such events, and you stand to lose much much more in those games when players can actively kill each other, and pickpocket other players.

Mortal Online has epic bosses, which appear one time and are gone forever. This isn't one, but it's pretty goddamn scary to see just flying over cities.

Well, epic bosses are something that exist in all MMOs I believe. But certainly, GM events are a lot less common I think.

Anyway, in this short video, you see some of the Darkfall epic bosses, like the fire dragon:

Well, epic bosses are something that exist in all MMOs I believe. But certainly, GM events are a lot less common I think.

Anyway, in this short video, you see some of the Darkfall epic bosses, like the fire dragon:

Actually, Mortal Online's epic boss system is quite unique. The bosses appear randomly, and once they're dead they are removed from the game forever, so it's about who gets to them first.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Actually, Mortal Online's epic boss system is quite unique. The bosses appear randomly, and once they're dead they are removed from the game forever, so it's about who gets to them first.

That would never work with RS's population compared to other MMOs.

Amitoz.png