Shadow Silk Hood

Star_Fox

The hood was too good until Occult... With Occult brought more balance by adding a bunch of new mage-based enemies like Necromancers and lots of Lesser/Greater/Black demons, all of which see you. Oh, and lots of hell-hounds too. And from what I've heard, Warped is even worse.

Also, the penalty of using a hood over a platebody is that bosses are much more likely to chain comboes and KO you.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hood was too good until Occult... With Occult brought more balance by adding a bunch of new mage-based enemies like Necromancers and lots of Lesser/Greater/Black demons, all of which see you. Oh, and lots of hell-hounds too. And from what I've heard, Warped is even worse.

Also, the penalty of using a hood over a platebody is that bosses are much more likely to chain comboes and KO you.

This, and like others have said, if there were no hoods, we'd all just bind plates and leatherbodies. SO MUCH MORE VARIETY OMG.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

when you say unique, you say like what? only head gear inside the dungeons that have that special?

Well yea, nothing has it or anything even remotely close to it.

i think pack yak is to good as a bob if you can use, since he can store a item to a bank far away (unique) ... . .. . ..

Only really good if your far from bank, otherwise simply banking with another BoB is a reasonable alternative.

i think slayer helmet is overpowered for slayer, since it gives me bonus for melee, range and magic, as well all the protections i need (unique) . .. . . .. . ..

You only ever need one, though yes it does have slightly more defence.

The good thing about all of these is they don't rely on blind luck to get. While SSH's do.

This, and like others have said, if there were no hoods, we'd all just bind plates and leatherbodies. SO MUCH MORE VARIETY OMG.

I don't think ive ever said nerf or remove the hood. Simply that the way dungeoneering works (no significant penalty for not clearing monsters), means most other binds are undesirable in comparison.

O.O

Variety is largely an illusion in RPGs. In the endgame, there's always a certain set of equipment that stands out above everything else, and serious players always use the same top-tier equipment. And in games that let you choose your own skills as you level up-- choice is an illusion there too. Usually there are several skills that are vastly superior than everything else and all the serious players min/max with these skills.

td2sig.jpg

I don't think ive ever said nerf or remove the hood. Simply that the way dungeoneering works (no significant penalty for not clearing monsters), means most other binds are undesirable in comparison.

I didn't say you did. :huh:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I didn't say you did. :huh:

Had a bit of a mind blank there.

we good

O.O

I think some things that have yet to be mentioned about the hood are...

The hood is mostly a tool for rushing dungeons. It is not a great bind if you, for any reason, don't rush dungeons. So yes, even though it's very good, it's not as good as t11 platebody if you want to clear rooms and prefer safety over speed.

The usefulness of a hood is more pronounced by the amount of hoods already in existence. If, for example, only the keyer uses a hood, a platebody is almost as good as hood for protection as the damage is divided between 4 people. However, if you are the only person not wearing a hood, you'll take the majority of the damage. Thus, there might be dungeons where using platebodies would be more beneficial for the team, but because people already have hoods bound, a single platebody will be much worse.

Also, don't be fooled by the requirements for the hood as most of the requirements for slayer items are just nominal- what you should rather be looking at is the rarity, and it's undeniable that the rarity of t11 platebody is much lower than that of SSH, or any other slayer specific drop.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

There will ALWAYS be a best something for any task. Best damage spec wep for x task, etc. This is the best 2nd bind. If you nerf/change it, then something ELSE becomes the best item, get it?

How exactly do you change that, give items random specs? FYI, the best weapon for slayer is the chaotic rapier, followed by whip. That doesn't make the game boring.

You missed the damn point. There wouldn't be anything wrong if the SSH was only good for doing one very specific thing. But it is basically a manditory item for any teams that want to attain high exp rates. Regardless of role.

Rapier is the best slayer weapon, okay. But what is the best weapon for killing Kree? What is the best weapon for killing waterfiends? What is the single best weapon for PvP? (CR is great for PvP, but spec weapons are also used) If CR was the best weapon for every single scenario (not just every melee scenario, not just every stab scenario, but EVERY monster and every mini game etc..) then yes, the weapon would be a bore.

SSH in DG is pretty much the best bind for every player to obtain to achieve maximum DG exp. If it was only the best bind for melee, or if it was only the best bind for keyers...that would be a different story. Obviously there will always be a best bow, a best weapon, etc. But these are for certain roles. But it seems like every role in DG would pretty much love to have a SSH.

Best wep for WFS is CM. Best wep for kree is CCBow. PvP, it depends on your stats, but for maxed players rune pking its generally the CR. PvP is different in that skill and luck play more a factor then simple DPS, unlike most other monsters.

You seem to be confused as to "rolls" in DG. There are two roles, in good rushing teams: Keyer, and non-keyer. That is it. Keyer well keys. Non keyers do puzzle rooms, clear GDs, etc. Sure, you can bind a plate instead of a SSH, but unless no one else has one, you'll be clearing everything in a mime room, etc.

Like I've said before, I don't see the problem with exclusivity. I also don't understand people with 57 DG to understand how DG *really* works, and how to do it well. I know I didn't until quite a higher level.

SSH also relies on skill, between SS flashing, and managing prayers, and working together. If you can't do those, a plate helps more.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

There will ALWAYS be a best something for any task. Best damage spec wep for x task, etc. This is the best 2nd bind. If you nerf/change it, then something ELSE becomes the best item, get it?

How exactly do you change that, give items random specs? FYI, the best weapon for slayer is the chaotic rapier, followed by whip. That doesn't make the game boring.

You missed the damn point. There wouldn't be anything wrong if the SSH was only good for doing one very specific thing. But it is basically a manditory item for any teams that want to attain high exp rates. Regardless of role.

Rapier is the best slayer weapon, okay. But what is the best weapon for killing Kree? What is the best weapon for killing waterfiends? What is the single best weapon for PvP? (CR is great for PvP, but spec weapons are also used) If CR was the best weapon for every single scenario (not just every melee scenario, not just every stab scenario, but EVERY monster and every mini game etc..) then yes, the weapon would be a bore.

SSH in DG is pretty much the best bind for every player to obtain to achieve maximum DG exp. If it was only the best bind for melee, or if it was only the best bind for keyers...that would be a different story. Obviously there will always be a best bow, a best weapon, etc. But these are for certain roles. But it seems like every role in DG would pretty much love to have a SSH.

Best wep for WFS is CM. Best wep for kree is CCBow. PvP, it depends on your stats, but for maxed players rune pking its generally the CR. PvP is different in that skill and luck play more a factor then simple DPS, unlike most other monsters.

You seem to be confused as to "rolls" in DG. There are two roles, in good rushing teams: Keyer, and non-keyer. That is it. Keyer well keys. Non keyers do puzzle rooms, clear GDs, etc. Sure, you can bind a plate instead of a SSH, but unless no one else has one, you'll be clearing everything in a mime room, etc.

Like I've said before, I don't see the problem with exclusivity. I also don't understand people with 57 DG to understand how DG *really* works, and how to do it well. I know I didn't until quite a higher level.

SSH also relies on skill, between SS flashing, and managing prayers, and working together. If you can't do those, a plate helps more.

Yeah I mean I don't really care either, because I don't play all that much anymore. I was just trying to highlight the difference between what the OP was claiming about how SSH affects DG versus how there is a "best" in other things in Runescape. I don't really care about the SSH it just seemed like people were making stupid comparisons to other things in RS.

like when jagex added recipe for disaster and the 'dark' gloves were (still is?) the best glove for all styles?

I would say this is a good comparison...I think it is pretty silly to know that everywhere you go, you will be wearing the dark gloves.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Variety is largely an illusion in RPGs. In the endgame, there's always a certain set of equipment that stands out above everything else, and serious players always use the same top-tier equipment. And in games that let you choose your own skills as you level up-- choice is an illusion there too. Usually there are several skills that are vastly superior than everything else and all the serious players min/max with these skills.

not necessarily, especially when you take cost into account:

pbaxe>prim2h if you use surgebox and don't like extra clicking

pbaxe>prim2h if you like to use tank ring and key

pspear > pbaxe if you have a hex bind and like to use desperado

prapier ?> pbaxe in certain scenarios

i think an interesting question to look at would be if platebody/leatherbody binds were better for non-rushing groups that always stay together. not saying that i advocate non-rushing, as i think it's silly - i'm just curious if hood is 100% the best defensive bind.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

i think an interesting question to look at would be if platebody/leatherbody binds were better for non-rushing groups that always stay together. not saying that i advocate non-rushing, as i think it's silly - i'm just curious if hood is 100% the best defensive bind.

Most of those are wrong, from a pure DPS standpoint. 2h is still better then pspear, just quickswitch between desp and serker.

PBax->tank<2h unless keying.

prapier>pbax in some situations, but bax is still a better bind.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

There's always going to be something that's "the best." And that will always be required if you want to play with the pros; because they want to get things done as fast as possible.

That said, I bet armor in Dungeoneering will get a bit more attention after next week's damage soaking update. That is, if Jagex doesn't totally screw it up.

a70c7.png

Most of those are wrong, from a pure DPS standpoint. 2h is still better then pspear, just quickswitch between desp and serker.

PBax->tank<2h unless keying.

prapier>pbax in some situations, but bax is still a better bind.

corrections/unstated assumptions stated:

pbaxe>prim2h if you use surgebox and don't like extra clicking (provided that you want to bind a surgebox. which is reasonable over prim2h if no one else on the team has surgebox).

pspear > pbaxe if you have a hex bind and like to use desperado (and are sub 113 dg or don't like to quickswitch)

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Since you can't quickswitch in combat, I've always wondered how annoying it is to switch rings while comboing. Since I don't have a hex, my quickswitch is gatherer (which you don't really need except in a safe zone).

Also, some players will bind gear because they like it or like to use a suboptimal strategy, there is an element of subjectivity that DPS can't affect.

2496 Completionist

Since you can't quickswitch in combat, I've always wondered how annoying it is to switch rings while comboing. Since I don't have a hex, my quickswitch is gatherer (which you don't really need except in a safe zone).

Also, some players will bind gear because they like it or like to use a suboptimal strategy, there is an element of subjectivity that DPS can't affect.

Yes, the latter is exactly what I'm getting at. real DPS is hard to accurately measure perfectly due to pauses, eating, and the like. especially in the case of dungeoneering, the finer elements of weapon choice become more of a matter of small preferences rather than pure theoretical DPS. this is in contrast to pvm combat outside of DG where you mostly stand still, use primarily the same kind of attack, eat at a regular pace, and have lower chance of death.

Quickswitching is a lot harder than it seems. I have a gaming mouse that's set so that my middle button goes to my equipment interface, so thankfully quickswitching isn't too hard to me. Still - if I forget that I need to quickswitch before combat starts, then effectively I can't quickswitch at all (or it becomes highly impractical to). That's why pspear is a good alternative to pbaxe if you have a hex bunt don't have prim2h

sigcopyaf.png