Meds

EarthySun

I never realised people actually had big opinions on medication. In my house I'm used to being surrounded by it. My parents are both on anti-depresants, my mum takes epilepsy medication and my dad is on bloody morphine for his back...

As for 'people don't need anti-depressants', I'd like to remind you that people are DIFFERENT and depression isn't something that can be magicked away. Some people can do it with willpower other's can't.

I absolutely agree with you there, but some people don't even try.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are surprisingly liberal about your medication intake.. I don't take any personally but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't share with everybody. This one girl in my lab went on and on about the [cabbage] she was on for 10 years of her life - anti-depressants, steroids, sleeping pills... the list kept going on and nobody had the balls to make her stop talking (especially after the mention of steroids).

ITS JUST WEIRD OK?

[bleep] you, having anxiety/depression sucks and if medication is the only thing that makes it stop or minimizes it so I can function normally, then I'm going to take it and shouldn't have to hide it or anything (granted she said too much). It doesn't just magically go away on it's own, or last a short while like a cold. Anyone who says it does has never experienced it

Nice to meet you, too. I didn't say I was against medication (or even more specifically medication for depression), I said that I was amazed at how people here provided a list of all their deficiencies and what they're taking to ease them. I understand that you shouldn't have to hide such information with those around you, but I don't see why you would share in the first place. People form opinions about you when they hear stuff like that. Do you also tell everyone about that weird looking mole on your back, or about how you had a strange bowel movement last week?

And goddamnit I didn't want 'to go there' but you people have forced me to: I feel like almost everyone has gone through depression in these forums. I have also have a feeling that you're all just describing a period in your lives when you were sad teenagers. EVERYONE HAS HAD THAT. Shut the hell up about it, you can all write about you midlife crises in 40 years on your blogs and how you overcame it without anti-depressant drugs. Some people actually experienced stuff in life and need those drugs, just like a broken arm needs a cast. You can't will your ulna and radius back into shape.

hiccup.png

You people are surprisingly liberal about your medication intake.. I don't take any personally but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't share with everybody. This one girl in my lab went on and on about the [cabbage] she was on for 10 years of her life - anti-depressants, steroids, sleeping pills... the list kept going on and nobody had the balls to make her stop talking (especially after the mention of steroids).

ITS JUST WEIRD OK?

[bleep] you, having anxiety/depression sucks and if medication is the only thing that makes it stop or minimizes it so I can function normally, then I'm going to take it and shouldn't have to hide it or anything (granted she said too much). It doesn't just magically go away on it's own, or last a short while like a cold. Anyone who says it does has never experienced it

Nice to meet you, too. I didn't say I was against medication (or even more specifically medication for depression), I said that I was amazed at how people here provided a list of all their deficiencies and what they're taking to ease them. I understand that you shouldn't have to hide such information with those around you, but I don't see why you would share in the first place. People form opinions about you when they hear stuff like that. Do you also tell everyone about that weird looking mole on your back, or about how you had a strange bowel movement last week?

And goddamnit I didn't want 'to go there' but you people have forced me to: I feel like almost everyone has gone through depression in these forums. I have also have a feeling that you're all just describing a period in your lives when you were sad teenagers. EVERYONE HAS HAD THAT. Shut the hell up about it, you can all write about you midlife crises in 40 years on your blogs and how you overcame it without anti-depressant drugs. Some people actually experienced stuff in life and need those drugs, just like a broken arm needs a cast. You can't will your ulna and radius back into shape.

Well said.

My deepest fear is to walk through life disconnected - I want to deal with my problems (and the world's) not to just to drown them with drugs.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

It boggles my mind hearing about the amount of synthesized [cabbage] people put into their bodies on a regular basis. I get a stomach flu or strep like once a year, let it run its course, and spend the rest of my time happy and healthy. I mean, painkillers I understand, because headaches can be brutal, and menstrual cramps, injuries, etc. that keep you from functioning normally. But that should be the exception rather than the rule.

I don't get it. Maybe I'm just lucky.

This. I try to take medication as little as possible - generally I'm down at about 4-6 tylenol a year when I get bad headaches(and even then I only medicate when I have to function).

This year was bad though. I have a mild wrist sprain so the doctor says I should take advil (anti-inflammatories). 56 pills right there :(

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I take minocycline, I'm thinking I'll stop taking it for a while though since I'm not sure it's really even doing anything anymore. Other than that, I very rarely take any medication although over the past 3 days I've taken more than I do in a year usually. I hate pain killers and I'm not convinced they really do anything.

Decongestants on the other hand are definitely helpful.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I pretty much feel the same way about meds as Skeptical. In many cases, it's nothing but an underhanded marketing scheme. Sometimes the health problems are exacerbated by the meds, or even cause brand new ones to arise. And on the other hand, a lot of people just take advantage of it to get high or to sell them on the street for a huge profit. I don't see how having a large portion of society on meds makes things any better.

That being said, cannabis is the most suitable form of medication because it essentially makes everything okay.

Unless, the illness you need a rx for is starvation.

And I guess that's bad about rx, but really it's the clients fault for being duped in. There's so many placebo pills out there it's laughable. We answer calls at my job for this "laser spine center" which everyone knows is a scam where they steal thousands of dollars, and these people still go along with it because they don't google it for 4 seconds. You can research a rx your dr gives you before you fill it out. And I think that's the one part of "free market" I don't really like, is the facts that scams can become successful. However, those can happen just as common in other, non as free markets. But this is just off topic.

So yea, but I don't really see the point in the majority of medication out there, I mean, if you have ADHD, work harder at concentrating. High cholesteral? Eat not as fatty foods. Of course there are going to be people who legitmately need it, but for craps sake, show some discipline.

I don't think you understand either how medications are approved for use or what exactly they do. Everything prescribed by a doctor and filled through a pharmacy MUST be approved by the FDA, which requires that all drugs sold must be proven effective in large double-blind clinical trials. simple "placebo medications" just do not exist as you suggest. Further, diseases like ADHD and high cholesterol are caused by biological factors that cannot simply be wished away - drugs are the only way to fix the problem for many individuals.

It's definitely true that depression is often overstated ("I feel so depressed today"), but we are the Off-Topic section of the forums for a fan site of a low-quality MMORPG game. If anyone has wierdos, it's TIF.

I pretty much feel the same way about meds as Skeptical. In many cases, it's nothing but an underhanded marketing scheme. Sometimes the health problems are exacerbated by the meds, or even cause brand new ones to arise. And on the other hand, a lot of people just take advantage of it to get high or to sell them on the street for a huge profit. I don't see how having a large portion of society on meds makes things any better.

That being said, cannabis is the most suitable form of medication because it essentially makes everything okay.

And I guess that's bad about rx, but really it's the clients fault for being duped in. There's so many placebo pills out there it's laughable. We answer calls at my job for this "laser spine center" which everyone knows is a scam where they steal thousands of dollars, and these people still go along with it because they don't google it for 4 seconds. You can research a rx your dr gives you before you fill it out. And I think that's the one part of "free market" I don't really like, is the facts that scams can become successful. However, those can happen just as common in other, non as free markets. But this is just off topic.

So yea, but I don't really see the point in the majority of medication out there, I mean, if you have ADHD, work harder at concentrating. High cholesteral? Eat not as fatty foods. Of course there are going to be people who legitmately need it, but for craps sake, show some discipline.

I don't think you understand either how medications are approved for use or what exactly they do. Everything prescribed by a doctor and filled through a pharmacy MUST be approved by the FDA, which requires that all drugs sold must be proven effective in large double-blind clinical trials. simple "placebo medications" just do not exist as you suggest. Further, diseases like ADHD and high cholesterol are caused by biological factors that cannot simply be wished away - drugs are the only way to fix the problem for many individuals.

Or you can just focus and eat oatmeal.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

I found that eating carbs raises my cholesterol level, while cutting carbs from my diet significantly reduced it. Weird, huh?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I found that eating carbs raises my cholesterol level, while cutting carbs from my diet significantly reduced it. Weird, huh?

I love seeing the slow switch. People are starting to actually pay attention!

They weren't always idiots, but then along came Ancel Keys, cognitive dissonance went to work, and they are going to pay for participating in such blatant pseudo-science.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27taubes.html

PaleoNu

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

I don't think you understand my post.

When I said "there's so many placebo pills out there..." I was not referring to prescriptions. More like the "buy me on walmart shelf and lost 15 lbs by the time you reach the checkout!" Although I do understand the confusion as the very next sentence mentions a RX. On another note, I am very aware that for some things to be eradicated completely you must use drugs, for example ADHD, or depression based on a failure of the receptors in the synapse gap part of each neuron. However, you can still survive with out them. I have severe ADHD, and even though I wanted to glance at every little metaphorical butterfly that flew by while I did my math homework, I still told myself "no. You will do it."

Also I finished the end of my post the same way you did yours. Effectively.

"Of course there are going to be people who legitmately need it, but for craps sake, show some discipline."

I understand many people need it, I also understand many people are also lazy.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

My policy on mediation is if your ailment won't effect you seriously, you shouldn't take it. If you have a little bit of pain your first instinct should not be to run to the cabinet to grab some tylenol. Plus disorders such as AD/HD and ADD are triggers for prescriptions, regardless of their degree. I would go so far as to say even some children who don't even have such disorders are carelessly proscribed these medicines anyway by petition of their parents all because the parents never implemented a bit of discipline. I think medicines are too readily proscribed by doctors and too readily accepted by patients.

As for my own experience, I took some kind of narcotic painkiller after I had a corrective surgery for a bone that broke and when it healed improperly it grew in a way it was impaling my foot. I took it once and I refused to take it again, I'd rather have the discomfort of the pain then be an extraordinary moron. I was light sensitive, dizzy, supposedly couldn't stop singing in Arabic and I tried to send my friend a text and when I looked at it the next day it was essentially "rjhfgrjkl;ghrje;qaghrej;kgherkpg". I would like to remain in control of how I act instead of be a zombie.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

I take painkillers like nothing else when I'm golfing. At least 12 ibuprofen a day. I've not been taking them for a while though. It's for my wrist. Stupid thing.

I'm certainly not an expert, but my physiotherapist has told me that if I need to take painkillers to play more than once, then it's only going to make it worse.

My knees are messed up from unbalancing from my hockey training, and the first thing the doctor wanted to do was put me on prescription painkillers... yeah, thank you, but I'd rather actually fix the problem than just hide it with drugs.

As for my own experience, I took some kind of narcotic painkiller after I had a corrective surgery for a bone that broke and when it healed improperly it grew in a way it was impaling my foot. I took it once and I refused to take it again, I'd rather have the discomfort of the pain then be an extraordinary moron. I was light sensitive, dizzy, supposedly couldn't stop singing in Arabic and I tried to send my friend a text and when I looked at it the next day it was essentially "rjhfgrjkl;ghrje;qaghrej;kgherkpg". I would like to remain in control of how I act instead of be a zombie.

I laughed. This reminds me of my uncle - after a serious injury, he had to take opiates. From talking to him, you could tell it was one of the strangest weeks of his life. I would never want to be that mixed up.